Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,600 of 2610
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I'm thinking Ardent 2.4 front Ikon 2.35 rear. Thinking of going 1x10 too, I'm going to get the cassette, chain, derailleur and shifter and give that a whirl. That way I can watch what gears I use for a few rides before ordering a chainring. I've got a funny feeling that I'm going to want a 28th which would mean a new spider less crank, darn. Oh, I also put a dropper post on my bike this week and I have to say that I love it.

Edit: After posting this I found myself compelled to order that drivetrain. I'll keep you posted.
    Last edited by aggrochooks; 04-29-2015 at 07:39 PM. Reason: lost my mind

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Ordered a RockShox Reba RL Fork 29 100mm Solo Air 9mm QR Straight 1-1/8 Fast Black this morning and should receive it on may 11th or so. Can't wait to get it installed and test it out!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    ordered my tires went with a 2.3 maxxis high roller 2 for the front and a ardent 2.25 for the back.

anyone here try tubeless on the talon 4 rims?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLSU View Post
    Ordered a RockShox Reba RL Fork 29 100mm Solo Air 9mm QR Straight 1-1/8 Fast Black this morning and should receive it on may 11th or so. Can't wait to get it installed and test it out!
    That's the same thing I have on my Talon. Although, the formal color name for mine is Diffusion Black (aka matte black). I guess maybe Fast Black is a glossy finish? I think you'll like the fork. Hopefully, you got a great deal on it.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Hello Talon Owners.

Im looking at becoming one of you guys in the coming day. Im completely new and thought the talon would make a great first bike. Looking at doing some minor road biking around the neighbourhood but hopefully more trails for sure. Maybe once or twice a week on the trails and see if I like it before investing more time into it. I need a new hobby.

Im looking at the Talon 3 and 4. Any real major differences in the two. Is it worth saving the money and putting it towards other things instead?

I really hope it to last me maybe 2 years so I can get used to it and learn how to mountain bike appropriately. Any advice or recommendations for these two bikes would be great.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Just got back in from a ride on mine. I bought a 4, the reason being there is nothing on the 4 that I wouldn't upgrade on the 3 as well. You get a SLIGHTLY better fork that you will want to upgrade anyway if you start riding a bit. And you get a 9 speed drivetrain that you will probably want to be 10 speed. That said the huge gap in the lowest gears on my 4 drove me nuts and I've put a 10 speed drivetrain on it already, maybe if I had had th 9 speed it wouldn't have bugged me as much. I say save the $125. And get a shorts liner, pump, spare tube, tire irons, a multi tool and a helmet.

Edit: That is, unless you can bring your budget up to get a 1 or a 2. I kinda wish I had just saved up for a 1.
    Last edited by aggrochooks; 05-07-2015 at 09:37 AM. Reason: caveat

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks for the great advice.

Because this is y first bike I need alot of things still (Helmet,lock, bike rack etc etc) So that extra cash can go a long way for sure.

Im not worried about having to buy a new bike. I would have no problem dishing out 1500$ for a nice bike If I knew I liked mountain biking. Just can't justify it for my first one is all. If I outgrew the 4 I would be more likely to buy a new one then upgrade the 4 too much. Just want something to learn the absolute basics on and it looks like the one for me.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I feel ya. I've been hooked since the first ride and the course I'm on now has me upgrading things with a mindset that what goes on this bike may eventually all go on a new frame and this bike will go back to stock (or SS or bar bike or something ).

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Trufont View Post
    Hello Talon Owners.

Im looking at becoming one of you guys in the coming day. Im completely new and thought the talon would make a great first bike. Looking at doing some minor road biking around the neighbourhood but hopefully more trails for sure. Maybe once or twice a week on the trails and see if I like it before investing more time into it. I need a new hobby.

Im looking at the Talon 3 and 4. Any real major differences in the two. Is it worth saving the money and putting it towards other things instead?

I really hope it to last me maybe 2 years so I can get used to it and learn how to mountain bike appropriately. Any advice or recommendations for these two bikes would be great.

Thanks.
    My shop told me it would be a waste of money, what gains you get would be small and probably not noticeable. I went with the 4 and im happy with it, tires are not to good though so that was the first upgrade. Ill upgrade the fork eventually but besides that im happy with the way it rides. Got into it cheap and can ride this hard and now that I know im hooked on biking Ill buy a nicer bike down the road.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I put a deposit on a Talon 1 today at my local shop. I went in a few days ago to buy my wife a Momentum Street for mother's day and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I almost pulled the trigger on a Stance 2 but really wanted to stick with a hardtail as I'm getting back into biking after a 15+ year break and jumping into a full suspension seems like a bad idea.

I was back and forth on black or blue/white/green, but Giant made it easy for me. I'm in between Medium and Large, more favoring the Medium. The shop owner didn't have any Talons in stock, but he checked Giant stock and they have 2 Mediums, both Blue, and 4 Larges, all black - and apparently will not be making any more before 2016's come out. Blue it is.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by j3ffro View Post
    I put a deposit on a Talon 1 today at my local shop. I went in a few days ago to buy my wife a Momentum Street for mother's day and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I almost pulled the trigger on a Stance 2 but really wanted to stick with a hardtail as I'm getting back into biking after a 15+ year break and jumping into a full suspension seems like a bad idea.

I was back and forth on black or blue/white/green, but Giant made it easy for me. I'm in between Medium and Large, more favoring the Medium. The shop owner didn't have any Talons in stock, but he checked Giant stock and they have 2 Mediums, both Blue, and 4 Larges, all black - and apparently will not be making any more before 2016's come out. Blue it is.
    Thats awesome.

I am graphic designer for a living so as you can imagine Im really picky when it comes to colors. Im looking at the Talon 4 and I just dont like the color combos they have on this thing. I like previous model colors and the international yellow one thats not available in my country. IT sucks that Ill have to settle for a color scheme im not super excited about.

In terms of new models what time of year do new models roll out? Like when do deals on previous models go on sale and when do the new ones hit the market. Is it an end of year thing like cars or early in the new year? Id love to know this so it helps me in the future with purchases.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thats awesome.

I am graphic designer for a living so as you can imagine Im really picky when it comes to colors. Im looking at the Talon 4 and I just dont like the color combos they have on this thing. I like previous model colors and the international yellow one thats not available in my country. IT sucks that Ill have to settle for a color scheme im not super excited about.

In terms of new models what time of year do new models roll out? Like when do deals on previous models go on sale and when do the new ones hit the market. Is it an end of year thing like cars or early in the new year? Id love to know this so it helps me in the future with purchases.
    I bought my 2012 Talon brand new, from a Giant dealer, at the end of June 2011. They had just gotten the first few in at that time. So, probably in another couple months or so regarding the new 2016 models rolling out...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thats awesome.

yeah the color scheme of the bike is a downer, doesnt look at bad in person but still rather have something different. But what ever I will probably give this bike to my dad in a year and grab a trance or stance.

squish, squish in da fish
    early summer is when giant usually releases their new models. i bought a 12 in july of 12 for $300 off sticker

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thats awesome.

I completely understand. I was initially going off of MSRP from the website to do some background and was looking at the Talon 2. I'm not that picky about color (I'm primarily a runner, and I have some of the ugliest colored shoes in existence, but they work for me so I wear 'em) but I really didn't like the black with teal accents - at least in pictures. Was elated when the LBS owner said he could do a Talon 1 for slightly less than Talon 2 msrp, though the color change was only a small part of that elation.

As for 2016 models, I have to imagine they will be out in the next few months. Can't imagine a bike company the size of Giant not having any models on hand for a certain price point for very long.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    so anyone have luck going tubless on the talon rims?

just recieved my high roller and ardent, tried to get them to inflate tubless but was a no go. although I also just tried using eletrical tape so it might not have sealed the rim very well. Going to grab some gorilla tape and give that a try tomorrow.

Is the tire suppose to be able to fill up without the sealant in it or is the sealant needed for the tire to inflate?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    trashed my rock shox suspension today. Spring went through the top of prelaod adjuster. Good i have warranty going on monday to fix that with dealer.
    Talon owners .....-dsc_0022.jpgTalon owners .....-img_1011.jpg
    first pic is my bike and second is not my bike but the fork is broken same as on this second picture. Cant believe this could happen after only 8 months riding this bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    What's the fork model?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    rock shox xc 30

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mca90guitar View Post
    so anyone have luck going tubless on the talon rims?

just recieved my high roller and ardent, tried to get them to inflate tubless but was a no go. although I also just tried using eletrical tape so it might not have sealed the rim very well. Going to grab some gorilla tape and give that a try tomorrow.

Is the tire suppose to be able to fill up without the sealant in it or is the sealant needed for the tire to inflate?
    You don't need sealant to inflate the tire if you have tubeless tires on the stock talon wheels in my experience. The sealant mostly is for punctures. On my stock 2012 wheels with tubeless tires it's damn near impossible to unseat the bead so the sealant doesn't do much for the sidewall to wheel seal. It does work great for sealing punctures and sometime my valve stem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    You don't need sealant to inflate the tire if you have tubeless tires on the stock talon wheels in my experience. The sealant mostly is for punctures. On my stock 2012 wheels with tubeless tires it's damn near impossible to unseat the bead so the sealant doesn't do much for the sidewall to wheel seal. It does work great for sealing punctures and sometime my valve stem.
    thanks, guess ill just retape the rim and give it another go

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    inflated after installing gorilla tape

Anyone use the stans tubless presta valve with the cone on the end?

Sounds like it leaking good from there. idk if that will be solved by the sealant or if there is a certain way im suppose to install them and im doing it wrong.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    inflated after installing gorilla tape

Anyone use the stans tubless presta valve with the cone on the end?

Sounds like it leaking good from there. idk if that will be solved by the sealant or if there is a certain way im suppose to install them and im doing it wrong.
    I'm using the same stem just spin the wheel for 10-15 minutes and it should seal itself. Remember also depending on the tires you are using since this is your first time inserting the sealant you may need alot more than is recommended for maintenance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm using the same stem just spin the wheel for 10-15 minutes and it should seal itself. Remember also depending on the tires you are using since this is your first time inserting the sealant you may need alot more than is recommended for maintenance.
    k thanks, need to order the stuff to mix up a sealant. Just going to ride with the tubes until my stuff arrives.

mtbr member

Hi guys. This is my share.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kalbones_01 View Post

Hi guys. This is my share.
    Is that the epicon fork?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    ended up buying the material today and just set up the new tires Gave it a quick ride and so far so good. Wont really know how well it works out until morning though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    what grips are you guys liking? the stock ones are sliding like crazy. thinking about grabbing some deity lock on grips.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I'll be looking forward to hearing about your tires, I had another pinch flat today. I hated the stock grips and put as many different grips in my hands as possible and ended up with Specialized SIP XL lockons. I love them, they stay in place and I don't slip on them and they aren't squirmy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by aggrochooks View Post
    I'll be looking forward to hearing about your tires, I had another pinch flat today. I hated the stock grips and put as many different grips in my hands as possible and ended up with Specialized SIP XL lockons. I love them, they stay in place and I don't slip on them and they aren't squirmy.
    Surprisingly I didnt have no many issues with the tubes. I ran the tires at 25psi and rode some rocky, bumpy rooty terrain without any issues. Heck I even had a large thorn in the tire and the tube didnt go flate until I pulled the tire apart.

Just hated the stock tires and figured why not go tubless while im at it and see how it goes. the maxxis tires seemed to seal tight. Not much sealant weeped out of the bead but again ill have to see what it drops to over night. Not throwing away the tubes yet. Hoping it works out though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I haven't hated the stock tires, but I'm just now pushing them I think. I definitely break the rear loose from time to time and would love more volume in the loose stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I haven't hated the stock tires, but I'm just now pushing them I think. I definitely break the rear loose from time to time and would love more volume in the loose stuff.
    yeah the back washed out very eay for me, front wasnt to bad. last week i was riding hard though and the back tire washed out through a turn, not even a heavy one and I went flying lol. lucky my shoes unclipped and I hit the ground running.

the high roller looks beastly, the ardent idk, looks better then the stock tires but still pretty small nobs. different design though and sounds like alot of guys that ride the same terrain like them. find out tomorrow afternoon.

mtbr member
    Yes Rusty, that is Epixon 120mm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Tell me about how it rides and handles with the extra 20 mm.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I find it more aggressive in trail. 120mm gives a little bit upright riding position and the 50mm stem helps to maneuver very quick. Im using 750mm handle bar which I find it more balance and confident when riding down the slope.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    So far so good with the tires, its going to storm soon so im not going to make it to the trails today, took it through a field by my house, pretty rough terrain, very rutted out by dirtbikes and ATV's. No sealant coming out anywhere and after soaping the tire no air bubbles. So it looks promising

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    went riding in the storm, the idea sounded fun lol. Actually wasnt to bad besides two crashes caused by branches hidden under leaves and the other was just my fault all together.

Overall the new set up worked well through the muddy trails and climbed like a champ, looks like wet roots will always be an issue and learning to ride them smart is the only option.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I got a call this afternoon my bike had come in, so I picked up my Talon 1 this afternoon and rode it ~4 miles home. I was iffy on going Medium instead of Large, but clearly it was the right call. It felt perfect immediately, a huge step up from my brother's (now clearly oversized for me) Rockhopper. I've had a stupid grin on my face ever since, and I'm trying to figure out how I'm not going to ride it tomorrow morning (I'm racing a 5K Saturday morning and really should rest my legs) but that may be a losing battle.

There's a computer and SPDs on the way this weekend. The bug has bit me hard.

Don't mind the baby stuff, having a year and a half old daughter will do that.
    Talon owners .....-img_20150514_180400727.jpg

mtbr member
    Got the first of my 1x10 components in the mail yesterday. Hopefully order the remaining stuff next week.Talon owners .....-20150516_133751.jpg

mtbr member
    For those still running the coil spring fork, I'd suggest dropping the lowers off and giving them a clean and a re-grease. Mine started to stick and not compress over the smaller rocks and roots (only had the bike 4 months), and upon inspection there seems there was not much grease used in the initial assembly.

Cleaned them up and greased them up with a good amount of grease and they are working smoothly again.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyT47 View Post
    Got the first of my 1x10 components in the mail yesterday. Hopefully order the remaining stuff next week.
    I put 10 speed XT on mine two weeks ago. I am so happy to have the big gaps in gearing that the 8spd had filled! I had thought
    I would go 1x10 but after riding a couple tougher areas around me I'm not convinced. I guess I would only be out a chainring if I made the switch and decided to go back.

I sent serial number and proof of purchase to Suntour for the upgrade program on Tuesday and had really hoped to hear back from them before the end of the week but no luck,but that's next. I really should have saved more money and bought a Talon 1.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So I just upgraded my fork to a RS Reba RL and finally got to ride it for the first time today. Feels like a completely different bike. I struggled with the choice of the Raidon vs Reba but decided if I was going to upgrade I was going to upgrade to a definite better fork. I also installed Shimano BR-M447 hydraulic brakes. Wow what a huge difference that also makes. If you are thinking of upgrading to hydros for a relatively cheap upgrade it's totally worth it!

Here's some pics of the upgrades so far: WTB pure saddle, spd pedals, ghetto tubeless, ardent/Bontrager tires, Reba RL Fork, shimano BR-M447 hydraulic brakes so far...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Got the first of my 1x10 components in the mail yesterday. Hopefully order the remaining stuff next week.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150516_133751.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	988716
    How much is that putting you back? I'm interested in this as my next upgrade.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor9999 View Post
    trashed my rock shox suspension today. Spring went through the top of prelaod adjuster. Good i have warranty going on monday to fix that with dealer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0022.jpg 
Views:	2069 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	987251Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1011.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	987250
    first pic is my bike and second is not my bike but the fork is broken same as on this second picture. Cant believe this could happen after only 8 months riding this bike.
    fixed the fork under warranty. Guess it pooped out cause i put preload to plus thinking its the softest but it was the hardest xD

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

check this idea for frame decorating with stickers

now i wanna get those stickers so my bike looks like shark lol
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...&thumb=1&stc=1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-s1200_pitbitmsafriday_134.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

check my bike video i made

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I got XT rear derailleur, shifter, cassette and a KMC chain from Jenson for $200.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Think im at the point where im done upgrading mine. think im just going to ride this thing hard until parts start breaking off. Think im going to buy a trance next summer, would be better suited for the trails around here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Think im at the point where im done upgrading mine. think im just going to ride this thing hard until parts start breaking off. Think im going to buy a trance next summer, would be better suited for the trails around here.
    I have been trying to make decisions based on, if I bought a new frame and fork would this fit/be something I would want on said frame and fork. I don't think I'll do any more upgrades after the upgrade program and new wheels.

mtbr member
    With all XT (RD, Shifter, Cassette, Chain) and a Race Face NW 32 tooth. Approx $245AUD. Will run the stock cranks for a little longer before I upgrade those to XT as well. Want to upgrade the fork before I do the cranks and bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Here's a pic of mine from a couple weeks ago and one as it sits right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-20150424_092238.jpg  

Talon owners .....-20150517_101105.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Here's a pic of mine from a couple weeks ago and one as it sits right now.
    you upgraded everything but the fork which is most important and why you need dropper seat post thats so unnecesarry

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Fork is coming and the dropper has been the best thing I've done to it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    cool. why didn t you buy better talon in first place like talon 0 or 1

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor9999 View Post
    cool. why didn t you buy better talon in first place like talon 0 or 1
    Yeah, I said that in a couple of my posts earlier in the thread. I didn't know I was going to go nuts over mountain biking like this. As for upgrades, the pedals, bar, stem and grips are all fit/contact items so are they really upgrades or essentials? So that leaves tires (which I just got), 10spd drivetrain and the dropper oh, and the Suntour upgrade fork that will be coming. Of all that if I had bought a Talon 1 for $1375 I wouldn't have had to spend the $200 on the drivetrain and the $189 on the fork upgrade. Would I do it this way if I went back in time? No. Do I feel like I have wasted money? No. I'll likely buy a new frame and fork somewhere down the line and then all the upgrades except the fork will go on the new bike and this one will be given to my brother or sold or turned into a bar bike or something.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    you re nuts lol you could have bought giant anthem 3

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I have been trying to make decisions based on, if I bought a new frame and fork would this fit/be something I would want on said frame and fork. I don't think I'll do any more upgrades after the upgrade program and new wheels.
    kinda how I was thinking, until I added up my wants and they came out to be alot, enough to where it would be worth just buying the bike with them on it already.

Get the benefit of a back up bike as well

what fork did you get? Was thinking of grabbing a raidon

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    well enjoy your nice rides guys but be careful and dont do crazy stunts so you dont end up on crutches or badly injured. you gotta know your limits

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    what fork did you get? Was thinking of grabbing a raidon
    Getting the Raidon, it's the one thing that won't be passed on to the next bike so I figured it's the smart bet.

How's the ghetto tubeless holding up on your stock wheels?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Getting the Raidon, it's the one thing that won't be passed on to the next bike so I figured it's the smart bet.

How's the ghetto tubeless holding up on your stock wheels?
    great, they were put to the test the other day and not a drop of anything and still holding pressure well. long term IDK, im sure the tape will need to be replaced eventually. but for now its fine. Not like I have a ton invested in it and I have alot of sealant and tape left over

Will have to let me know about the raidon. Looks decent for the price

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    forgot to mention I have some grips coming this week. these stock ones suck.

bought some ODI ruffian lock ons

mtbr member
    Just ordered the remainder of my 1x10 components. So looking forward to getting this gear on the bike. Happy days!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    new grips installed, already feel better then the junk giant ones. Slimmer also which feels nice

mtbr member
    May 2015

2014 Giant Talon 27.5 5 with only frame and seat clamp, the rest is aftermarket!

Talon owners .....-20150519_015857.jpgTalon owners .....-20150519_020018.jpgTalon owners .....-20150519_020046.jpgTalon owners .....-20150519_020059.jpgTalon owners .....-20150519_020131.jpgTalon owners .....-20150519_020149.jpgTalon owners .....-20150519_020209.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2015
    It started as the base Talon model with a really crappy fork. As I got better at riding, the bike did not grow with me... So I've upgraded parts along the way, and pushed this bike to its full potential!

Wide bars, air fork, better wheelset, tubeless tires, new bb, crank, drive tran 1x10 (34t, 11t/42t).

Now it rolls fast, climbs well, and still nimbler than a 29er. It's a good beginner/Intermediate bike. Chain stay is a bit long for my taste, but the length provides comfort and stability. My non-biking friends love this bike over my racing bike (uncomfy seat).
    Last edited by mtbgeorge; 05-19-2015 at 01:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbgeorge View Post
    It started as the base Talon model with a really crappy fork. As I got better at riding, the bike did not grow with me... So I've upgraded parts along the way, and pushed this bike to its full potential!

Wide bars, air fork, better wheelset, tubeless tires, new bb, crank, drive tran 1x10 (34t, 11t/42t).

Now it rolls fast, climbs well, and still nimbler than a 29er. It's a good beginner/Intermediate bike. Chain stay is a bit long for my taste, but the length provides comfort and stability. My non-biking friends love this bike over my racing bike (uncomfy seat).
    That's what I'm finding now too. My riding has improved alot and now it is the bike holding me back. Especially with the stock coil fork and brakes.

My talon will be a simialr spec to yours when I'm done upgrading. Is that the Rockshox xc30 gold fork? If so how does it perform? I'm tossing up between that and the Manitou Marvel Comp, both around the same price point.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    The XC30 Gold fork is a 100mm air fork. It only has 5 rebound settings but once it's at 25% sag, the bike is truly awesome! I got a Fox Float 32 100mm and a Sid RCT3 100mm. XC30 Gold is the cheapest but it does quite well against the other two forks! As for my local "black diamond" trails, this Talon has no problem at all. USNWC.ORG

The stock stem was replaced with my old Specialized Rockhopper stock stem. 80mm and 6 degrees rise, just right for me!

It's at 25.8 lbs so it's very easy to climb or hop around. On downhill the fork is quite capable and easy to hop at well.

Good luck on your upgrade!!

mtbr member
    Haven't bought a bike in over 15 years ,So this is way better than my 26'' Diamond Back or GT
    Talon owners .....-20141022_171855.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Monterey Giant View Post
    Haven't bought a bike in over 15 years ,So this is way better than my 26'' Diamond Back or GT
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141022_171855.jpg 
Views:	2588 
Size:	125.7 KB 
ID:	990021
    welcome back to mountain biking world i also bought my talon last year after having old bike for 16years so I know that felling

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    broke my rear derailleur, shop said i should have the bike back tomorrow, getting a doere one with a clutch.

Also sent my info to suntour so I can order my raidon.

After that im just replacing as it breaks on me. Looked over the trance 3 and anthem sx while there. Man those are sweet looking bikes. Will see about next summer

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Also sent my info to suntour so I can order my raidon.
    Sent my info last Tuesday. I called this Tuesday to confirm they had my email (probably being impatient) they said yes and that they would respond in an hour...

it's been a really long hour.
    Still a great deal but I wonder how long this is going to take.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Sent my info last Tuesday. I called this Tuesday to confirm they had my email (probably being impatient) they said yes and that they would respond in an hour...

it's been a really long hour.
    Still a great deal but I wonder how long this is going to take.
    ill give it a few days then talk with the CS, always got a reply fast when sent there.
    nmoore@srsuntourna.com usually have a response within a day or two

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I just bought a used Talon 5. This upgrade program is only if you buy the bike new from a lbs, correct?

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by amaizenblue402 View Post
    I just bought a used Talon 5. This upgrade program is only if you buy the bike new from a lbs, correct?
    Sort of, all you need is the serial number and the purchase receipt.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Sort of, all you need is the serial number and the purchase receipt.
    I should have mentioned that I bought it used off Craigslist, so I guess I will miss out on the upgrade program. Rats.

mtbr member
    Is the upgrade program just for people in the USA? or is it international?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Is the upgrade program just for people in the USA? or is it international?
    Pretty sure Canada is also included. Here's the link...

SR Suntour North America

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I have a question regarding front forks: I own a Talon 27.5 - 4; toss up between a Rock Shox Reba RLT tapered 9mm or tapered QR15,,,,,,or purchasing a
    Fox32 Float 100 CTD EVO
    Does anyone here have any opinions as to which would be a better fit for my bike????
    thank you -

mtbr member
    May 2015
    New to the forums and wanted to share my new to me Talon 5. I bought it used (like new) off Craigslist and got a great deal on it. Just did some trail riding this weekend. It was a little slippery out there. I don't have any clean photos yet.

Talon owners .....-image3.jpgTalon owners .....-image4.jpgTalon owners .....-image5.jpg

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I have a 2012 Talon 29er 2...just wanted to drop some a post about my most recent upgrade. Got the Orbea OCiii Carbon bars from Random Bike Parts for $42 shipped. Shaved off ~1/2lb. Not a lot, but it kept the setup I'm comfortable with and shaved off some weight for not a lot of money.
    I think I'm looking to upgrade to a 1x setup next...any thoughts/ideas? Have a pretty low budget because it's not high on the priority list.

Quote Originally Posted by MTB_Dozer View Post
    I have a question regarding front forks: I own a Talon 27.5 - 4; toss up between a Rock Shox Reba RLT tapered 9mm or tapered QR15,,,,,,or purchasing a
    Fox32 Float 100 CTD EVO
    Does anyone here have any opinions as to which would be a better fit for my bike????
    thank you -

The Reba RLT is a great fork and so is the Fox, keep in mind that moving to QR15 will require at least a hub change.

Not being of much help here but I currently ride the Reba RLT Dual Air (29er) and is a pain to dial out but when dialed is as smooth as buttah.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    I have a 2012 Talon 29er 2...just wanted to drop some a post about my most recent upgrade. Got the Orbea OCiii Carbon bars from Random Bike Parts for $42 shipped. Shaved off ~1/2lb. Not a lot, but it kept the setup I'm comfortable with and shaved off some weight for not a lot of money.
    I think I'm looking to upgrade to a 1x setup next...any thoughts/ideas? Have a pretty low budget because it's not high on the priority list.
    I have the same bike and my next upgrade is 1x10 I think also.

A second question. My bottom bracket has a grinding type sound emanating from it. What are you guys upgrading to? Also are you changing your cranks, drive train, etc at the same time?

squish, squish in da fish
    My 12 talon 1 had rivited rings so I had to replace the crank. Went with slx crank and slx cassette with kmc 10xl chain and RF n/w with zee rd n shifty. All done at same time. I think I did it all for ~$360

One of our '11 Talon's has Truvativ Stylo cranks using the MegaExo BB and the other has SLX with XT BB. We only changed the cranks, the rest of the SRAM drivetrain has remained the same.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    The Reba RLT is a great fork and so is the Fox, keep in mind that moving to QR15 will require at least a hub change.

Not being of much help here but I currently ride the Reba RLT Dual Air (29er) and is a pain to dial out but when dialed is as smooth as buttah.
    Hello DD, thank you for the input; I know that the Reba is a good fork, heard great things about it too. I have seen the FOX fork I listed being marked down on sale, and trying to find out how the FOX fork 100 CTD EVO is worth getting and/or compared to the Reba.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    I'm going with a Race face Narrow wide chainring, XT shadow plus RD, XT shifter, XT 11-36t cassette and XT chain. That's cost me approx $245AUD. Will be using the stock cranks for a little longer before upgrading to XT as well.

I'm also looking a doing a 1x10 on my wife's Tempt 4 and using all SLX which would save another $75 or so.

My parts should be here next week, so I'll post some pics and thoughts on the conversion once completed.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Like my new talon
    It's a cheapy 27.5
    The suntour is junky I'm 240lbs.
    Any better options.
    I can't figure if it's a tappered or not.
    And if it's not I can't find any 27.5 non tappered.?
    Any advice

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Sent suntour another email on Tuesday, still no word.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Sent suntour another email on Tuesday, still no word.
    nothing here either, will probably send CS a email and see if that helps

Quote Originally Posted by gamebulldog View Post
    Like my new talon
    It's a cheapy 27.5
    The suntour is junky I'm 240lbs.
    Any better options.
    I can't figure if it's a tappered or not.
    And if it's not I can't find any 27.5 non tappered.?
    Any advice
    The OE fork is crap, well documented in this thread.
    The frame is straight or non tapered, 1 1/8" all the way.
    Cane Creek makes an adapter to run a tapered fork on a non tapered headtube, believe is the XX series and in your case the ID is 44mm.
    For fork options you could try the Suntour loyalty program or look hard for Rock Shox, Manitou and Fox.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    still nothing, have to say it might be worth spending more and having CS, doesnt seem like Suntour will be easy to deal with if I need to replace a part or get something repaired.

thinking about this
    Manitou Marvel Comp Forks - 9mmQR 2015 | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Just got my bike back, shifts alot better with the new derailleur. Came out to more then I expected at $75

Hopefully I dont destroy this one to fast, that will add up really fast. Think im going to invest in a stand and start learning. Can see it being worth every penny.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I haven't heard a peep from Suntour either. I'm thinking they won't be getting my business either, probably end up going Rockshox.

You should totally start doing your own work. It's really easy and most of it can be done with only normal tools, a cassette lock ring tool and a chain whip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I haven't heard a peep from Suntour either. I'm thinking they won't be getting my business either, probably end up going Rockshox.

You should totally start doing your own work. It's really easy and most of it can be done with only normal tools, a cassette lock ring tool and a chain whip.
    yeah, think im going to grab a stand from jenson next week. Will save alot in gas as well as its like $10 in my jeep everytime I go to the shop. plus I can buy alot better parts for the part of shop parts with mark up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Also idk what the suntour deal is, the person I emailed use to respond fast and now its dead on their end. So IDK, wish I had the cash to upgrade the front wheel and fork right now. Would grab a rockshox reba 15mm but would probably be looking at spending $700 + easy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    My XJ gets horrific mileage, but I have a bike shop under a mile from my house.

I think there's a thread in the tools forum about an inexpensive stand that's sold on Amazon. I've just been hanging my bike by the tip of the saddle from my hitch rack or flipping it upside down when I work on it, but I'd like a stand too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I was thinking Reba and Reynolds Black Label AM wheels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    My XJ gets horrific mileage, but I have a bike shop under a mile from my house.

I think there's a thread in the tools forum about an inexpensive stand that's sold on Amazon. I've just been hanging my bike by the tip of the saddle from my hitch rack or flipping it upside down when I work on it, but I'd like a stand too.
    Im looking at 14mpg on a good day lol. 5.2 v8 and all time FWD is awesome and depressing at the same time haha. But when winter and hunting season comes around its worth it. Never gets stuck.

will have to check amazon, thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    some decent looking stands for $50 range on amazon, althoughthe best rated also isnt foldable.

Members who have read this thread: 128