Oct 2010
    Talon owners .....-1377139_10200547148953336_896268804_n.jpg

Anybody have this happen yet?

mtbr member
    What year and size is that?
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    has anybody tried the 2014 Suntour Epicons on their talon? the fork seems nice.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Nope, what year bike is this? Your size, mileage, and typical terrain? When did you notice the damage?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    2011, size Large. It happened in the middle of a ride, on a trail I've ridden 100's of times. The bike probably has close to 4000 miles on it with 90% of it being ridden on rocky, root riddled singletrack. It was covered under warranty and has already been replaced with a 2012 Talon 1 frame. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen. Seems with some research online that this is a common weak point on a lot of Giants 2011 and newer.

Not pissed at all though, this bike brought me plenty smiles!
    Talon owners .....-1395425_10200570208129801_1014189183_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    hows the pedal bob on the thudbuster?
    Its fine on road, rolling hills and downhill... But I could really use some sort of lockout for climbs. Definitely saps your energy after a while.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkySlim View Post
    It was covered under warranty and has already been replaced with a 2012 Talon 1 frame. Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen. Seems with some research online that this is a common weak point on a lot of Giants 2011 and newer.

Not pissed at all though, this bike brought me plenty smiles!
    It's good to hear that Giant covered your frame under warranty.

What fork are you running? Any component upgrades?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Here's all the upgrades I've done. The only original parts are the Wheels and Headset.

Brakes...............Shimano XT M785 Disc Brake
    Rotors...............Shimano XT Ice Tech SM-RT86. 180mm Front, 160mm Rear
    Cassette............Shimano HG61 12-36
    Crankset............Truvativ Stylo OCT 1.1G
    Chainring............Race Face Single Ring 34t
    Shifters..............SRAM X7
    Derailleur............SRAM X7
    Bottom Bracket...SRAM GXP
    Handlebars.........Easton EA70 Riser
    Grips.................ODI Yeti
    Fork.................. Manitou Tower Pro
    Tires.................Geax Saguaro TNT
    Saddle...............WTB Pure V
    Seat Post...........Thomson Elite Setback
    Pedals...............Crank Brothers Candy 2
    Wheels..............Giant S-XC2, Stan's NoTube Conversion
    Stem.................Thomson Elite X4

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1377139_10200547148953336_896268804_n.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	840149

Not yet, mine (which is a large) creaked a lot on that area but after replacing the seat post and collar is all good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Not yet, mine (which is a large) creaked a lot on that area but after replacing the seat post and collar is all good.
    The mechanic at my LBS told me that Thomson seat posts are very stiff and could possibly create a crack in the frame. He also added that companies such as Trek and Giant may not honor their frame warranties if they see a Thomson seat post on the bike. Lucky for me he removed my seat post and put on one from another bike as a precautionary measure when the Giant rep came in to check out the bike.

Bikes all fixed now and ready to rock!
    Talon owners .....-1392585_10200581144243197_1709010670_n.jpg

The mechanic at my LBS told me that Thomson seat posts are very stiff and could possibly create a crack in the frame. He also added that companies such as Trek and Giant may not honor their frame warranties if they see a Thomson seat post on the bike. Lucky for me he removed my seat post and put on one from another bike as a precautionary measure when the Giant rep came in to check out the bike.

Name:	1392585_10200581144243197_1709010670_n.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	840717
    Good to know, I'm a fan of Thomson products but on our Talon's we have Woodman seat posts; nice rig btw.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Nice bike! How do you like that single-ring set-up?

Your Best Friend
    The mechanic at my LBS told me that Thomson seat posts are very stiff and could possibly create a crack in the frame. He also added that companies such as Trek and Giant may not honor their frame warranties if they see a Thomson seat post on the bike.

That is probably the biggest load of crap concerning a warranty I've ever read. You need a new mechanic.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dshoe70 View Post
    Nice bike! How do you like that single-ring set-up?
    It's great. I never really changed that much out of middle gear.
    The original chain ring was 32t and I upgraded to 34t RaceFace Singlespeed for an added boost. I have the Shimano 9speed 29er cassette and that adds plenty of gears (12-36). The only downfall is if you ride on city streets. Cranking on straightway's I'm only able to max out at 24 mpg, though, when I had a larger ring I was hitting 34 mpg.

Regardless, when hitting the trails, at least in my area (Wisconsin) 34t up front is more than enough.

The cassette is heavy, but if you run 1x9 it's worth it.

Though the overall weight saved seemed to center the bike more. I'm sitting at ≈ 25lbs right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Ohh don't get me wrong. He said it was a bit of bull****, but he was just being safe.

The Giant warranty does state:

"ALL WARRANTIES ARE VOID IF THE BICYCLE IS MODIFIED FROM ITS ORIGINAL CONDITION"

The only original piece on my bike is the wheels....

My mechanic went out of the way to get my bike good to go. My frame broke on Monday. I had a new frame on Thursday. I'm happy with the turn around and my LBS. I'd rather have my LBS be on my side than some corporate b.s. come to play.

What was said was inconsequential, the bike was fixed no problems. Just glad I didn't have to deal with this bull****....
    2011 Giant Talon 29er 1 - broke the frame

mtbr member
    has anybody tried to put in a tapered fork onto a talon 29er? did it affect handling or compromise the frame?

Quote Originally Posted by bosbik View Post
    has anybody tried to put in a tapered fork onto a talon 29er? did it affect handling or compromise the frame?
    Don't know anyone that has done this but know people that have done the other way around, non tapered fork into tapered headtube using a reducer lower cup.

The only thing that comes to mind is that the lower cup will be outside the headtube and will raise the front end a little bit maybe slacking the head angle.

Check out this thread.

mtbr member
    yeah..was thinking of running a tapered fork with 80mm travel to try and compensate for the added stack.

one more question..say i would go for a straight 1 1/8 steerer but with 80mm instead of 100mm..will there be an issue with the frame? will the talon frame be able to handle 80mm?

yeah..was thinking of running a tapered fork with 80mm travel to try and compensate for the added stack.

one more question..say i would go for a straight 1 1/8 steerer but with 80mm instead of 100mm..will there be an issue with the frame? will the talon frame be able to handle 80mm?
    If you keep the same axle to crown measurement you should have no problems.

mtbr member
    If you keep the same axle to crown measurement you should have no problems.
    yeah..thats what i was thinking with the adaptor for the tapered steerer.
    but can the talon handle an 80mm 1 1/8 straight steerer fork? I know its designed around a 100mm fork..if not them i may have to get a more negative stem...

but can the talon handle an 80mm 1 1/8 straight steerer fork? I know its designed around a 100mm fork..if not them i may have to get a more negative stem...
    Don't know, lowering the front will change the angles and may change the handling; I would stay with 100mm and a zero or negative stem.
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 10-24-2013 at 07:54 AM.

mtbr member
    ok..thanks for your input

mtbr member
    May 2013
    It's great. I never really changed that much out of middle gear.
    The original chain ring was 32t and I upgraded to 34t RaceFace Singlespeed for an added boost. I have the Shimano 9speed 29er cassette and that adds plenty of gears (12-36). The only downfall is if you ride on city streets. Cranking on straightway's I'm only able to max out at 24 mpg, though, when I had a larger ring I was hitting 34 mpg.

Regardless, when hitting the trails, at least in my area (Wisconsin) 34t up front is more than enough.

The cassette is heavy, but if you run 1x9 it's worth it.

Though the overall weight saved seemed to center the bike more. I'm sitting at ≈ 25lbs right now.
    Thanks for the info! Yeah, I'm thinking about upgrading my drive train. If I do, I may consider a single ring or a two-fer, instead of the stock three-fer. I never use my big ring. I'll probably wait until spring though before I do it, so I have time to figure it all out first. Right now, I'm in the middle of new brakes and wheel set upgrades.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    For all you Talon owners, if you were going to get a complete, new headset, what would you get and why? I'm currently thinking a Cane Creek 40-series, but please feel free to talk me out of it and into something else, if warranted. I know the Chris King stuff is supposedly super awesome, but I don't think I really want to spend +/- $130ish for one his right now though. I think a CC 40-series can be had for around $60, which is perfectly reasonable to me.

mtbr member

Re: Talon owners .....

Hey guys! Newbie here hoping to get some help/advice. I have a stock 2012 Talon 29er 0. I recently noticed that the top of the preload on the fork (not the plastic bit with the +/-, just underneath that) was coming unscrewed. Not sure when it happened, but when I screwed it back down I couldn't move the plastic preload adjuster that sits on top of it. Long story short, I broke the plastic piece. I bought the bike about a month ago. I guess my question is whether I can claim this under warranty or not. If not, can I get a replacement for the plastic cap? Gonna take it to my LBS tomorrow, but I just wanted to get some input from you guys first.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

For all you Talon owners, if you were going to get a complete, new headset, what would you get and why? I'm currently thinking a Cane Creek 40-series, but please feel free to talk me out of it and into something else, if warranted. I know the Chris King stuff is supposedly super awesome, but I don't think I really want to spend +/- $130ish for one his right now though. I think a CC 40-series can be had for around $60, which is perfectly reasonable to me.
    I'm in that process, will use the Giant rebranded FSA headset made for the older XTC which is supposed to work on the Talon as per a friend that works on a Giant dealer.

Chris King is great, on the expensive side but the headset will out live your bike; worth the extra money.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyg946 View Post
    Hey guys! Newbie here hoping to get some help/advice. I have a stock 2012 Talon 29er 0. I recently noticed that the top of the preload on the fork (not the plastic bit with the +/-, just underneath that) was coming unscrewed. Not sure when it happened, but when I screwed it back down I couldn't move the plastic preload adjuster that sits on top of it. Long story short, I broke the plastic piece. I bought the bike about a month ago. I guess my question is whether I can claim this under warranty or not. If not, can I get a replacement for the plastic cap? Gonna take it to my LBS tomorrow, but I just wanted to get some input from you guys first.

You may be able to get that warrantied, give it a try.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm in that process, will use the Giant rebranded FSA headset made for the older XTC which is supposed to work on the Talon as per a friend that works on a Giant dealer.

Chris King is great, on the expensive side but the headset will out live your bike; worth the extra money.
    Thanks for the info! In your process, have you heard anything about any third-party headsets not working properly with a Talon frame, or any to particularly stay away from?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    You may be able to get that warrantied, give it a try.
    If the warranty thing doesn't work out, you might try what I did as an alternative...

Not long after I got my new Reba (a few days), I went to check the air in it. The LBS that did the work for me tightened the air cap really snug, and I couldn't get it to loosen by just using my fingers. I guess whoever put it back on has stronger fingers than me. Anyway, I used a pair of pliers to loosen the cap, and I was even very careful and used a rag in between the cap and pliers. But, the pliers slipped, and still put a scrape across the head of the cap, even through the rag. I wasn't happy that it happened, and I wanted a nice, new cap for my new fork. So, I sent an inquiry to SRAM and asked if they could send me one. I had looked online to see if I could find one, but I couldn't. I never got any kind of response from SRAM though. Then, I found some fork rebuild kits, one of which came supplied with the same cap that I needed. So, I just bought the whole kit to get the cap I wanted. It was only like twenty-something bucks, but it was worth it to me to resolve the issue. I bought the rebuild kit from Universal Cycles. I'm sure you can probably find the same for your fork, if the manufacturer won't help you out.

Thanks for the info! In your process, have you heard anything about any third-party headsets not working properly with a Talon frame, or any to particularly stay away from?
    I'm sure that there are offerings from the main players but in my case don't have the measuring tools required to determine the ID's. Was exchanging emails with a guy from FSA but they not even know what model the Talon comes with, he said that they don't keep record of what headset goes into what frame/model.

You'll have to remove the cups and measure the ID of the headtube and cups in order to determine what works, use the Cane Creek Fit Finder to guide you.

If the warranty thing doesn't work out, you might try what I did as an alternative...

Not long after I got my new Reba (a few days), I went to check the air in it. The LBS that did the work for me tightened the air cap really snug, and I couldn't get it to loosen by just using my fingers. I guess whoever put it back on has stronger fingers than me. Anyway, I used a pair of pliers to loosen the cap, and I was even very careful and used a rag in between the cap and pliers. But, the pliers slipped, and still put a scrape across the head of the cap, even through the rag. I wasn't happy that it happened, and I wanted a nice, new cap for my new fork. So, I sent an inquiry to SRAM and asked if they could send me one. I had looked online to see if I could find one, but I couldn't. I never got any kind of response from SRAM though. Then, I found some fork rebuild kits, one of which came supplied with the same cap that I needed. So, I just bought the whole kit to get the cap I wanted. It was only like twenty-something bucks, but it was worth it to me to resolve the issue. I bought the rebuild kit from Universal Cycles. I'm sure you can probably find the same for your fork, if the manufacturer won't help you out.
    Great suggestion, you may get the parts directly from SRAM or thru your LBS if the warranty claim fails.

Something similar happened with my son's fork (Marzocchi 44) and was able to purchase the parts even thou the fork was under warranty, turned out that loosing the lockout lever wasn't covered under warranty.

mtbr member

Great suggestion, you may get the parts directly from SRAM or thru your LBS if the warranty claim fails.

Something similar happened with my son's fork (Marzocchi 44) and was able to purchase the parts even thou the fork was under warranty, turned out that loosing the lockout lever wasn't covered under warranty.
    Thanks for the great suggestions guys! Let's see what happens.

Sent from my Nexus 4

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Email this guy..
    nmoore@srsuntourna.com

I emailed and ordered a complete new lockout top for the stock suntour fork. Like 10-12 bones.

Dirt Slinger
    Does anyone know the weight of the 2014 talon 27.5 4?

Quote Originally Posted by Rincon98 View Post
    Giant doesn't publish bike weights, why don't you ask your LBS to weight one for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Cleaned up the drivetrain and converted to 1x9 yesterday to great effect, but found a dent/slight crack on the non-driveside chainstay. Looks like I'll be making a trip to the LBS to resolve the issue.

mtbr member

Talon owners .....

Quote Originally Posted by Rincon98 View Post
    I weighed mine with a digital bathroom scale and it weighs ~31 lbs. All stock components with WTB race 2.2 wolverines front and rear both running ghetto tubeless.
    Ride it into the ground.

squish, squish in da fish
    ^^ thats weird cause thats what my L talon 1 29er weighed stock. you'd think it'd weight a lil less. although we're talking bathroom scale to bathroom scale here

Dirt Slinger
    [QUOTE=rickyg946;10768940]Hey guys! Newbie here hoping to get some help/advice. I have a stock 2012 Talon 29er 0. I recently noticed that the top of the preload on the fork (not the plastic bit with the +/-, just underneath that) was coming unscrewed. Not sure when it happened, but when I screwed it back down I couldn't move the plastic preload adjuster that sits on top of it. Long story short, I broke the plastic piece. I bought the bike about a month ago. I guess my question is whether I can claim this under warranty or not. If not, can I get a replacement for the plastic cap? Gonna take it to my LBS tomorrow, but I just wanted to get some input from you guys first.

My threads on a rockshox dart 2 fork got smoothed out and kept popping up. I bought a new damper/lockout plastick piece for 35-40$ and it worked fine. Make sure you get the proper amount of the right tipe of oil in so your lockout works

mtbr member

[QUOTE=Rincon98;10797527]

My threads on a rockshox dart 2 fork got smoothed out and kept popping up. I bought a new damper/lockout plastick piece for 35-40$ and it worked fine. Make sure you get the proper amount of the right tipe of oil in so your lockout works
    Well it ended up that Rockshox just sent my LBS a replacement plastic bit like the ones you see on all of the newer forks (i.e. a better design). But thanks for all the advice/tips everyone! Hopefully soon I'll just replace the crappy XC28s with some Reba's or something anyway, but at least now I can get back to riding!

Who took my gears?
    Well, my 2011 talon served me VERY well. It was my "get back into the sport" bike. Upgradeitis fully set in and it was time for a new ride. So I must say goodbye to my beloved Talon. It was a great bike, and I had a TON of great times on it...

Here is my new ride: Another Vassago Optimus Ti is born!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Well, my 2011 talon served me VERY well. It was my "get back into the sport" bike. Upgradeitis fully set in and it was time for a new ride. So I must say goodbye to my beloved Talon. It was a great bike, and I had a TON of great times on it...

Here is my new ride: Another Vassago Optimus Ti is born!
    The new build looks great! Thanks for posting the pics/specs...

Why not keep your Talon, too?

Who took my gears?
    The new build looks great! Thanks for posting the pics/specs...

Why not keep your Talon, too?
    Probably will keep it, but it probably won't get much use...

mtbdennis i too finally upgraded in june from a '12 talon 1 to a '13 canfield nimble 9. the talon was a "get back in to it" bike for me also. i now use this as a commuter set up 1(38t)x10(11-36) with bb7's and a rigid fork. i love it & it just serves a different purpose thats all. you'll eventually feel a lil guilt and blow the dust off of her in a few months as i did. i like the Ti build you did too. oh and you will like the RF n/w ring, i took mine down 23 stairs at a good pace and combo'd with the zee rd performed flawlessly.

mtbr member
    Same here. "Get back into it" Rode my Talon all season and now bought a Speci carbon. Going to hang on to the Talon till the spring and might even keep it as a "loaner" so I can bring friends along that don't have good bikes.

The Talon.
    Talon owners .....-dsc08457.jpg

The new one.
    Talon owners .....-dsc08659.jpg

Both
    Talon owners .....-dsc08648.jpg
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Dude, thanks for this reply! I'm looking to do the 1x9 RF/Zee upgrade with my Talon and then upgrade to a Canfield N9 or Yelli in the next year or so. Recently switched to 1x9 with the stock x5 drivetrain and am getting chain drops just as much as before.

What are your thoughts on the Canfield, coming from the Talon?

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    mtbdennis i too finally upgraded in june from a '12 talon 1 to a '13 canfield nimble 9. the talon was a "get back in to it" bike for me also. i now use this as a commuter set up 1(38t)x10(11-36) with bb7's and a rigid fork. i love it & it just serves a different purpose thats all. you'll eventually feel a lil guilt and blow the dust off of her in a few months as i did. i like the Ti build you did too. oh and you will like the RF n/w ring, i took mine down 23 stairs at a good pace and combo'd with the zee rd performed flawlessly.

CB, they're night n day comparisons and both have their purpose, but the N9 puts a smile on my face every time i throw a leg over it. yeah if you're gunna go 1x you will need either a chain guide, clutch RD, & a n/w ring in some sort of combo of 2-3 of those. depends on your riding style. if i'm in a top end gear and get a good amount of air, upon a rough landing i can throw a chain. that still beats the old days of bash, tensioner, & guide. i hope you're using a sram shifter if you use the 10spd zee on a 9spd cassette.

mtbr member
    Hello again all.

Is anyone riding Manitou Tower Pro 29er on their Talons? Months have passed and I'm actually going to upgrade. Seems to be the best bang for my buck (on sale) at the moment. I know I've asked the "best bang for my buck" question before, but I think I narrowed it down to Tower Pros. Opinions are welcomed (again).

Thanks.
    2012 Giant Talon 1

scoop it up before they are all gone. i have a 120mm x 20mm axle and used it a while on the talon and loved it. it's now on another bike and still loving it

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ynnek View Post
    Hello again all.

Is anyone riding Manitou Tower Pro 29er on their Talons? Months have passed and I'm actually going to upgrade. Seems to be the best bang for my buck (on sale) at the moment. I know I've asked the "best bang for my buck" question before, but I think I narrowed it down to Tower Pros. Opinions are welcomed (again).

Thanks.
    Back when I was looking at potential fork upgrades (about a year ago), I was very seriously considering the Tower Pro, too. However, I got turned off from it after asking about it at several LBSs. Everyone advised me against it, for whatever reason(s). I kind of got the impression that maybe it's a west coast thing?

It was funny, too. I remember one LBS that I went into. They had a Manitou sticker among their group of authorized dealer stickers on their front window, as you walk in. I told them I was happy to see it, and started asking about the forks. They seemed a little taken aback at my inquiry. Then, one guy started to tell me his story on the subject, while another guy went and removed the Manitou sticker from the window. They said they had forgotten it was up there. Sure enough, when I left the store, the sticker was gone. True story...

Two of the three LBSs told me they no longer care to deal with Manitou because of customer service-related issues. Another shop told me that they'd look into the Tower Pro for me and call me with info, but I never heard from them again. All shops told me that Fox and Rock Shox is where it's at, when it comes to forks.

Now, that's a little different from what I heard and read elsewhere. As a matter of fact, I'm quite certain I remember reading right here on MTBR that others have had great customer service with Manitou. So, I don't know for sure.

What I do know for sure though, in the end, is that I wanted a local shop "backing me" on my new fork purchase, and not have to go at it totally alone. One shop told me that I'm more than welcome to purchase a Manitou on my own, and then they'd mount it right up for me. But, I likely wouldn't have the type of "backing" and customer service I would receive if I went with the more mainstream Fox or RS, and through an authorized dealer. And, that's what I like, and wanted in this case. So, I went with a Reba RL instead. I have no regrets, either.

Anyway, I'm not trying to scare you regarding the Manitou. You asked for opinions, so... Even at that, my words above aren't necessarily an opinion, but more of just a true story about what happened with me when I tried to seek out a Manitou fork. It might be a completely different story for you...

P.S. - After digging into the details of the Manitou forks even further, I found that I didn't fancy the fact that I was going to have to change out the spring in no matter what I got, too (heavier rider, and need more than the standard spring supplied with initial purchase). The spring issue wouldn't have been a deal breaker, but it would've certainly been more of a PITA than simply putting air into my Solo Air Reba...

Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast