Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast
Results 376 to 400 of 1370
  1. #376
    Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Reputation: GelatiCruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,042

    Re: Talon owners .....

    I just picked up a rock Shox Recon Gold tk for $249 from Cross Lake Sales. Might be worth looking into.

  2. #377
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,854
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertGiant View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I haven't read many good reviews of the suntour raidons so I think im leaning toward the x fusion slide. Other than those two are there any rock shox you might recomend without breaking the bank?
    Reba Air or Dual Air, got my Dual Air for under $400 on eBay.

    Marzocchi TST2 or Micro Ti, Manitou Tower, Fox is more expensive.

  3. #378
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    28

    New question here.

    So, I have a 2012 Talon 1 and want to replace the fork. Found someone with a new Rock Shox XC28tk 29er. Will this work? I see some places that this has the 9mm QR. I think my bike has 15mm front axel, but not sure about whether or not this would fit.

    Any thoughts to help a newb?

  4. #379
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DesertGiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    36
    After doing a little more research and talking to my LBS, I'm going to sell the talon and just buy a better 29er. Looking at the giant xtc 29er 2 right now. Better components all the way around and lighter weight. My budget is around $1500.

  5. #380
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,854
    Quote Originally Posted by Dealwagon View Post
    So, I have a 2012 Talon 1 and want to replace the fork. Found someone with a new Rock Shox XC28tk 29er. Will this work? I see some places that this has the 9mm QR. I think my bike has 15mm front axel, but not sure about whether or not this would fit.

    Any thoughts to help a newb?
    Believe that the 2012 is qr9 having said that the XC28tk is not a great improvement over your current fork, if you're in a tight budget try to find a Marzocchi TST2.

  6. #381
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Believe that the 2012 is qr9 having said that the XC28tk is not a great improvement over your current fork, if you're in a tight budget try to find a Marzocchi TST2.
    I installed this fork on my 2011 T1 and it totally transformed my bike. Highly suggest this fork if on a tighter budget!

  7. #382
    Go Speed Racer
    Reputation: mtbdennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,210
    Quote Originally Posted by heypal99 View Post
    I installed this fork on my 2011 T1 and it totally transformed my bike. Highly suggest this fork if on a tighter budget!
    I assume you are talking about the "Marzocchi TST2", because the "XC28tk" appears to be basically the same thing as what comes with the bike. I would not wast the money on the XC28tk because you would be making basically a lateral move.

  8. #383
    Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Reputation: GelatiCruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,042

    Re: Talon owners .....

    Quote Originally Posted by Dealwagon View Post
    So, I have a 2012 Talon 1 and want to replace the fork. Found someone with a new Rock Shox XC28tk 29er. Will this work? I see some places that this has the 9mm QR. I think my bike has 15mm front axel, but not sure about whether or not this would fit.

    Any thoughts to help a newb?
    What's your budget? You could find something a lot nicer than the 28tk for a little over the same price. Or you could get an air for with rebound damping and lockout through the Suntour upgrade program for $175. Let us know your budget and we can point you in the right direction.

  9. #384
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    28
    Well. I found one locally for $70. Never installed. Looking at selling the stock one for like $30 and only being out $40. Seems worth it to me.

  10. #385
    Go Speed Racer
    Reputation: mtbdennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,210
    Quote Originally Posted by Dealwagon View Post
    Looking at selling the stock one for like $30
    Good luck with that! Had mine up on CL for awhile and no hits. There is pretty much no market for them. You may be lucky to get $5 for it. Seriously. You would be better to save your money until you can get a better one (air based) or if the $40 is burning a hole in your wallet, then convert to tubeless (I did the Ghetto tubeless conversion for just about exactly 40 bucks). Being able to run lower PSI will give you a little more squish, better traction and no more flats! But seriously, I really think even if it was zero cost, I would not bother with that fork, "but that's just like my opinion you know man".

  11. #386
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,854
    I gave one of my Suntour away (the other is on the Reba box waiting to see what happens to it), no one will pay for that boat anchor and the 28tk is about the same POS.

    If your budget is real tight check the loyalty program, there you can get a nice air sprung fork if you don't mind riding Suntour equipment.
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 02-22-2013 at 11:36 AM.

  12. #387
    Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Reputation: GelatiCruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,042

    Re: Talon owners .....

    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis
    would not bother with that fork, "but that's just like my opinion you know man".
    +rep when I get to my computer. Lol

  13. #388
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DesertGiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    I just picked up a rock Shox Recon Gold tk for $249 from Cross Lake Sales. Might be worth looking into.
    This seems like a good deal. Would this fit my bike? 2012 giant talon 2 29er.

  14. #389
    Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Reputation: GelatiCruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,042

    Re: Talon owners .....

    Quote Originally Posted by DesertGiant View Post
    This seems like a good deal. Would this fit my bike? 2012 giant talon 2 29er.
    Exact same bike I have.

  15. #390
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertGiant View Post
    After doing a little more research and talking to my LBS, I'm going to sell the talon and just buy a better 29er. Looking at the giant xtc 29er 2 right now. Better components all the way around and lighter weight. My budget is around $1500.
    I'm in the same situation as well, with the exact same models at hand. I already flipped the stem on the Talon for a more aggressive stance, and was thinking about upgrading the wheels and shock, but for the price I feel it's better to just go for the XTC and upgrade those SXC2's from there. How much are you going to sell the Talon for?

  16. #391
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Shakester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,140
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertGiant View Post
    After doing a little more research and talking to my LBS, I'm going to sell the talon and just buy a better 29er. Looking at the giant xtc 29er 2 right now. Better components all the way around and lighter weight. My budget is around $1500.
    The good news is, a new XTC 29er 2 is around $1400 which fits into your budget. The bad news is, the components aren't that much of an upgrade from the Talon. I love Giant bikes, but you may want to look into a Specialized Hardrock Pro 29 which retails for $1300.00 and has some nice parts on there.

  17. #392
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DesertGiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    The good news is, a new XTC 29er 2 is around $1400 which fits into your budget. The bad news is, the components aren't that much of an upgrade from the Talon. I love Giant bikes, but you may want to look into a Specialized Hardrock Pro 29 which retails for $1300.00 and has some nice parts on there.
    Thanks for the input, I will check it out!

  18. #393
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DesertGiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by chemical_brother View Post
    I'm in the same situation as well, with the exact same models at hand. I already flipped the stem on the Talon for a more aggressive stance, and was thinking about upgrading the wheels and shock, but for the price I feel it's better to just go for the XTC and upgrade those SXC2's from there. How much are you going to sell the Talon for?
    I was going to list it for $500 and hope to get $450 for it. It's still in great shape. I'm going look at the XTC 29er 2 and the Specialized Hardrock Pro and see which I like better. Let me know what you decide to do with your Talon.

    I wish I had known more about mountain bikes before buying the entry level Talon 2. I may have ponied up the cash for something a little better.

  19. #394
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    9
    Has anyone here with a Talon 2 upgraded the discs from the mediocre Tektro mechanicals to some nicer hydros? I am scouting out the best upgrade in the $150-$200 range. I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the Shimano Deore m596s which can be found without rotors for around $130-$150. I suppose I could use the Tektro rotors with the Shimanos? I'd love to know what other people are using

  20. #395
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,854
    Quote Originally Posted by hordeton View Post
    Has anyone here with a Talon 2 upgraded the discs from the mediocre Tektro mechanicals to some nicer hydros? I am scouting out the best upgrade in the $150-$200 range. I'm leaning pretty heavily towards the Shimano Deore m596s which can be found without rotors for around $130-$150. I suppose I could use the Tektro rotors with the Shimanos? I'd love to know what other people are using
    With budget in mind check the Shimano SLX, Shimano XT, Formula or Hope; the Shimano Deore will still be better than the mechs but don't have enough power IMO. Having said that I'm still using the Root that came with my Talon 1 and they're enough for what I do.

  21. #396
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    21
    Hey guys,

    I just bought myself a 2013 Giant Talon 29er 0. Since they didn't have my size in stock, I had to order and the bike will be available on Wed! Has anyone tried riding the new Talon yet? According to all the reviews that i've read about the bike, I am getting the vibe that the shocks and tires are a problem. Any input on this bike would be appreciated! Thanks!

  22. #397
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,854
    Quote Originally Posted by WooitsPhillip View Post
    Hey guys,

    I just bought myself a 2013 Giant Talon 29er 0. Since they didn't have my size in stock, I had to order and the bike will be available on Wed! Has anyone tried riding the new Talon yet? According to all the reviews that i've read about the bike, I am getting the vibe that the shocks and tires are a problem. Any input on this bike would be appreciated! Thanks!
    If you follow this thread you'll notice that year after year the complaints are the same, crappy fork, not so grippy tires and heavy wheels. Keep in mind that the Talon is an entry level bike and as most entry level bikes some parts aren't that good or light.

    The bike is great, handles well and after several upgrades resulting in weight loss is a fun bike to ride.

  23. #398
    squish, squish in da fish
    Reputation: fishwrinkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,085
    ^^^yeah that. i bought my '12 T1 in july and the only thing left stock is the RD, shifter and cassette. soon it will be gone and replaced with XT components. right now im running 1x8 so picking up 2 more gears with a better ratio is gunna kick a$$. this bike is truly fun to ride once certain components are swapped. start with fork, tires & cockpit. ive got the weight down to 26lbs on a large, thats 6lbs total loss. have fun.

  24. #399
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    21
    very nice! I think I'm just going to start riding it and see for myself. I paid $940 on the bike, which came with a camel bag, helmet and some replacement tubes. I thought that was a good deal for a entry level bike. I'll give it about a month or 2 before I decide to change anything out. The only component I'm really worried about is the forks, which everyone has been complaining about.

  25. #400
    squish, squish in da fish
    Reputation: fishwrinkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,085
    thats a nice grab there WIP. i paid 925 out the door for just the bike! yeah its def worth riding awhile then making upgrades.

Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •