Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast
    Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    oh once you upgrade that fork you will ask yourself why in the hell you waited so long..
    This was my experience! IMO, it should be the FIRST thing you throw money at with this bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hey guys,

I own a '13 Talon 1 and I'm looking to upgrade the tires.

Does anyone know what the max size tire I can fit on those stock rims? I went on Giant's site and didn't get much info.

Thanks,
    Rich

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Richgsr View Post
    Does anyone know what the max size tire I can fit on those stock rims?
    I would say that you are not limited by the rims. You are only limited by how much clearance you have in regards to the frame. I am running 2.2's (Geax Saguaro) with no issues. Also, I have found that different brands have different width's so you really don't know until you have them mounted up.

I still have room to spare with the 2.2's on mine (2011 Talon 1). I would think I could go up to 2.4, but why? If you are looking for more traction, I would recommend going tubeless and running lower pressure with what you have.

I converted the stock wheels and tires to tubeless with no issues. Just wrapped the inside of the rim with Gorilla tape, put in a stans presta valve stem, put in some stans sealant, and inflated with an air compressor (there are lots of posts with more details on this site). I run around 25 PSI and noticed a HUGE improvement.

Links about going tubeless (I recommend doing it)

Gorilla tape ghetto tubeless works great.

Giant SXC29-2 converting to tubeless

Tubeless
    Last edited by mtbdennis; 01-04-2013 at 09:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thank you for the info, Dennis.

I am looking for a bit more traction and I find the stock tires slip and slide quite a bit on descents.

I'm definitely looking to go tubeless, but I think i'd rather do it on new tires as my stock ones have had numerous punctures already.

squish, squish in da fish
    those RR's that came with yours looks like they would handle way better than the sm blk 8's that came on the '12. drop your chain into 1x1 and make a guess off the chain line. i have pana rampage 2.35 on a 2012 T1. i prefer 2.2 on rear and a lil different tread but they rock with low psi in the snow

mtbr member
    The Cross Mark and Small Block tires work well for hard pack, so so on loose stuff and awful on mud or snow but having said that we are still using them until is time to replace them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I finally got my Tower Pro installed along with my new wheels and tires. I ended up going with Sun Ringle Charger Comps. I haven't been able to ride it yet but I think it sure does look good! Thanks to those that helped me a while back!

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Talon owners .....-my-giant-talon.jpg

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Few upgrades ...

Shimano SLX: Crank, Shifters,Chain,Derailleur.
    Fox Fork, Giant flat bar, Cobalt seat post, Mountain King Tires

Go Speed Racer

Good job!

I can't stand to see my beloved Talon thread die, so here is an updated picture of mine...

Talon owners .....-img-20130215-01009.jpg

Recent Updates to my 2011 Talon 29er:

1) Cranks updated to SLX
    2) Selle Italia Q-BiK Flow Saddle https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Produc...mmaryOnly=true
    - Picked this up at Nashbar, great deal on the seat and I love it. Plus you have to like how it looks like it was made just for this bike

This bike is holding up great! Currently shopping around for a full susser because my riding has been venturing into more of the all mountain range, and my body is taking a beating on this hard tail, but this bike is taking the beating I am giving it and laughing at me saying "is that all ya got?" What a great bike, and a great sport we enjoy!

Now post up some more pictures of your talons! I am down for at least another week due to surgery and I need the stoke (which is why it is so clean)!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Looks great! In fact, I believe you are running the same bash guard as me. Staightline? Did your crank set upgrade improve the perfomance of the bike or is it simply for weight purposes? I was thinking that it would be my next upgrade.

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by heypal99 View Post
    Looks great! In fact, I believe you are running the same bash guard as me. Staightline? Did your crank set upgrade improve the perfomance of the bike or is it simply for weight purposes? I was thinking that it would be my next upgrade.
    Actually it is a BBG bash guard... I actually upgraded the cranks because the bottom bracket developed a knocking when under load. I suppose I could have just replaced the bottom bracket, but I got a good deal on the crankset, so I figured why not. It did shave around 1 pound (!!!) off the bike. Not sure I could really say it improved the performance much, it does seem a tad bit stiffer (and looks better), but did not really notice much of a difference in shifting, etc. Plus the whole hollowtech thing is just plain cool.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Talon 2 is a great bike

I was able to pick up a Talon 2 at the Giant World bike store in Denver for $430 since they were moving out the 12s to make room for 13s. I tossed the suntour immediately and ended up with an X-fusion Slide that I found on e-bay new for $250. I was considering the Tower Pro and the Reba, but I felt that my budget was more in-line with the X-fusion, which has gotten good reviews. The mechanic at the Giant store highly recommended the fork and said that he was riding one and felt it compared in feel and quality to the Fox Float. Lord knows it shaved 2lbs off the front of the bike. I also flipped the stock stem which made for a much more aggressive ride. The last upgrade that I've made is I went stan's tubeless with a WTB Weirwolf on the rear and the stock Kenda small Block 8 on the front. I would love to upgrade the Tektro Mechanical Breaks to some Shimano SLXs. I would post pics, but I can't figure out how to do it from my tablet

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Talon owners .....

Quick question... I'm thinking about going tubeless on the stock rims/tires on my '12 T2...is it worth it? I was hoping to save a little weight. Between tubeless and the new fork I'm getting, I could shave off 3lbs. Any reason I shouldn't go tubeless?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    Quick question... I'm thinking about going tubeless on the stock rims/tires on my '12 T2...is it worth it? I was hoping to save a little weight. Between tubeless and the new fork I'm getting, I could shave off 3lbs. Any reason I shouldn't go tubeless?
    I just had mine done a couple of days ago, so I don't have a great perspective. The ride is different, but I can't put my finger on why. I did the tubeless because I was getting flats practically every ride, and I was told by many people that going stan's tubeless was the remedy for this. We'll see.

mtbr member
    Going tubeless doesn't necessarily translates to weight saving, you may save a little but the difference is on tire pressure and grip.

With the OEM wheels you could go ghetto or use the rim strips, both work well.

mtbr member
    Our Talons have been in the shed since December, can come up with different excuses for not riding but for the time being they will remain stored until the snow goes away and trails dry up but in the mean time we keep busy snowboarding.

This how ours looked after the last time they were ridden.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Going tubeless doesn't necessarily translates to weight saving, you may save a little but the difference is on tire pressure and grip.

With the OEM wheels you could go ghetto or use the rim strips, both work well.
    Kinda figured as much. I'm also lazy and don't want to be changing out/adding more Stan's or homebrew in there every couple of months. It would only translate to about 1lb of weight loss between the 2 tubes, but on a 34 lb bike, it'd make a difference. Every little bit counts!

mtbr member
    Kinda figured as much. I'm also lazy and don't want to be changing out/adding more Stan's or homebrew in there every couple of months. It would only translate to about 1lb of weight loss between the 2 tubes, but on a 34 lb bike, it'd make a difference. Every little bit counts!
    That's the downside of using sealant, it dries up and you have to put some more every once in a while; with a UST rim the sealant is optional if you don't have punctures.

The major offenders are the fork, crankset w bb and wheels, other bit and pieces like stem, handlebar, seatpost and saddle are also on the heavy side if you're counting grams. I'm very happy on how ours turned out with just replacing the fork and crankset.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Tell me about it... 5 lb front wheel + 6lb fork... Wtf? Lol

mtbr member
    Hey Guys,

I'm brand new to the forum and a definite noob when it comes to upgrading my stock mountain bike. It's a 2012 Talon 2. I've been riding for about a year now and I really need to ditch the suntour fork but I don't know which one will fit. Can someone tell me what axle type the 2012 talon 2 has?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertGiant View Post
    Hey Guys,

I'm brand new to the forum and a definite noob when it comes to upgrading my stock mountain bike. It's a 2012 Talon 2. I've been riding for about a year now and I really need to ditch the suntour fork but I don't know which one will fit. Can someone tell me what axle type the 2012 talon 2 has?
    You can get any fork with a 9mm QR axle and a straight steer tube 1 1/8". Obviously it needs to be for disc mount brakes and 29er tires and 100mm travel. I just went through this process a couple of weeks ago with the exact same Talon 2 2012, and I ended up choosing the X-fusion Slide, and I'm really enjoying it. It's a real smooth and simple to adjust fork. Real plush and very reasonably priced

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

If you're on a limited budget, scour ebay and click and pink bike and you might be able to find something great at a discount. Just remember you need the steerer tube to be at least 7 3/8" long to fit. If you want a fork with a warranty that isn't used, then check out Suntour customer loyalty upgrade plan. You can get an air fork with lock and rebound damping for $175. Most bike shops will only charge around $40 for a fork install. There is a thread in the beginner's corner forum titled "so you want to upgrade your Suntour fork"... Definitely worth checking in to... The program seems to be getting great reviews.

mtbr member
    If you're on a limited budget, scour ebay and click and pink bike and you might be able to find something great at a discount. Just remember you need the steerer tube to be at least 7 3/8" long to fit. If you want a fork with a warranty that isn't used, then check out Suntour customer loyalty upgrade plan. You can get an air fork with lock and rebound damping for $175. Most bike shops will only charge around $40 for a fork install. There is a thread in the beginner's corner forum titled "so you want to upgrade your Suntour fork"... Definitely worth checking in to... The program seems to be getting great reviews.
    +1 to the Suntour loyalty upgrade, worth checking out if you have a tight budget and don't be fooled, their higher end forks are as good as the others.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback. I haven't read many good reviews of the suntour raidons so I think im leaning toward the x fusion slide. Other than those two are there any rock shox you might recomend without breaking the bank?

Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast