Talon owners .....

Printable View

• 03-05-2015
    kpla51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by klettsta1 View Post
    For sure, the stock suntour's that is... they weigh like 6+ pounds
    my epicon weights around 3.5lbs... i love it.

Mine feels like a feather in comparison. The stock forks on hers are hard to compress even with all my weight is this normal? They seem very stiff.
  • 03-06-2015
    UmmYeahItsMe147
    Did the bottom bracket help out much? I'm still on the stock bb, the thing just feels empty inside
  • 03-06-2015
    DiRt DeViL
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kpla51 View Post
    Mine feels like a feather in comparison. The stock forks on hers are hard to compress even with all my weight is this normal? They seem very stiff.

Stiff they are not, they are just hard to cycle even in the easiest preload setting.
  • 03-07-2015
    kpla51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Stiff they are not, they are just hard to cycle even in the easiest preload setting.

I can't even change her preload by hand. Is this normal? Hers is a 2014 are the forks different than the 15? I guess they changed the lock out or something on the 15. She doesn't know the difference any ways she just knows its a bike that she can ride with me lol.
  • 03-07-2015
    DiRt DeViL
    Talon owners .....
    Quote:

I can't even change her preload by hand. Is this normal? Hers is a 2014 are the forks different than the 15? I guess they changed the lock out or something on the 15. She doesn't know the difference any ways she just knows its a bike that she can ride with me lol.

Sometimes is hard but should move.

Clockwise will add preload and counterclockwise will make it "softer".

Post a pic if you can.
  • 03-07-2015
    kpla51
    Its been snowing and I've still been riding but not as much. Im getting the urge to mod mine but don't even know what to change. I think I'm just bored and want to buy things haha. Any ideas would be appreciated.
  • 03-09-2015
    DiRt DeViL
    Quote:

Its been snowing and I've still been riding but not as much. Im getting the urge to mod mine but don't even know what to change. I think I'm just bored and want to buy things haha. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Quick and great upgrades (not cheap) are fork, wheels, cranks, pedals and brakes. Then you can go with smaller items like handlebar, grips, saddle and so on.
  • 03-09-2015
    RustyT47
    I'm doing the opposite. Starting with the small things, stem, grips, tires, and pedals. Then as things wear out I will start replacing them with better gear. Exculding the fork. I would like to upgrade this as soon as I can save the money to do so.
  • 03-09-2015
    klettsta1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by UmmYeahItsMe147 View Post
    Did the bottom bracket help out much? I'm still on the stock bb, the thing just feels empty inside

I took the bike out for first time over the weekend. Went to Rays indoor mtb park. Gotta say. Compared to bike I rode last season... its light years ahead. Could have been my first trip while also wearing 510 shoes too. all I know is I felt like a million bucks on the ol talon. I love this bike so much now. Crankset/bottom bracket was beautiful and smooth. all felt GREAT.
  • 03-09-2015
    kpla51
    Quote:

Quick and great upgrades (not cheap) are fork, wheels, cranks, pedals and brakes. Then you can go with smaller items like handlebar, grips, saddle and so on.

Mine is the 1 model so most of the components are more capable than me at the moment. The only things I've done are platform pedals and a 70mm stem. I might go for a little wider handlebar. Any recommendations on grips? also maybes some lights that won't kill the bank. I found some single track in the woods behind my house the trails art even a mile long but still some logs and river crossings to mess around on.

Also still messing with the fork pressure i weigh around 170 and it said 80-100 psi. I did 120 and it was bottoming out on the trails today not hard but just curious if i should bump up the pressure. I set the sag at about 20%
  • 03-09-2015
    DiRt DeViL
    Talon owners .....
    Quote:

Mine is the 1 model so most of the components are more capable than me at the moment. The only things I've done are platform pedals and a 70mm stem. I might go for a little wider handlebar. Any recommendations on grips? also maybes some lights that won't kill the bank. I found some single track in the woods behind my house the trails art even a mile long but still some logs and river crossings to mess around on.

Also still messing with the fork pressure i weigh around 170 and it said 80-100 psi. I did 120 and it was bottoming out on the trails today not hard but just curious if i should bump up the pressure. I set the sag at about 20%

EBay the solarstorn lights if you can deal with Chinese sellers.

odi lockons are a good starting point.
  • 03-09-2015
    kpla51
    Quote:

EBay the solarstorn lights if you can deal with Chinese sellers.

odi lockons are a good starting point.

Looks like a good bright light for cheap. Worth a shot I love the bike so far.
  • 03-14-2015
    kpla51
    anyone know if a 27.5 2.4 tire will fit in the rs 30 gold tk forks? I rode a fat bike the other day and got the urge but I hear they will be coming out with 27.5+ tires soon so I might hold off. The reason I was thinking 2.4 is the trails by my house are really sloppy so it might help plus I like the beefier look.

Also my wife talon has the mechanical breaks. Were you guys able to adjust yours so they grab well? Hers are terrible and would be scary on anything downhill.
  • 03-14-2015
    DiRt DeViL
    The OE mech brakes suck, upgrade to hydros asap.
  • 03-14-2015
    kpla51
    2 Attachment(s)
    well finally had a beautiful day and went to the new local trails. She did very well she's more capable than I will be for a while. This was also my wives first time on a trail and she did good. She even attempted a log crossing and some other difficult obstacles.
    Attachment 973181Attachment 973184
  • 03-15-2015
    GeauxLSU
    Hey guys I have a 2012 Talon 2 that I'm looking to get a new fork for. As I understand it's a straight steerer, 100mm travel, and a QR9. What options do I have to upgrade? I'm not opposed to getting a new front wheel with a thruaxle. I would like to keep it around or under $500 if possible. Thanks
  • 03-15-2015
    ace.chen
    1 Attachment(s)
    Hello just upgraded the fork of my Talon 3 to a RS Reba 100mm remote lockout. Attachment 973208The fork is a 2014 version. [IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • 03-15-2015
    mxracer394
    I have a 15 Talon 1 and I'm thinking of getting a new crank and bottom bracket. Can anyone tell me the sizes I need to look for.
  • 03-15-2015
    RustyT47
    I'm looking at getting this one. Just have to save up the $$$. Would love some feedback if anyone out there is running this fork.

Manitou Marvel Comp Forks - 9mmQR 2015 | Chain Reaction Cycles
  • 03-15-2015
    RustyT47
    1 Attachment(s)
    My Talon,

Stock except for the tires, pedals and race face 60mm stem.
  • 03-16-2015
    DiRt DeViL
    Forks - this applies to the 29 and 27.5 version of the Talon - 1 1/8" straight steerer tube, 100mm travel, some come with QR9 others with QR15 so make sure you pick the right one for you.

Options - Marzocchi, Manitou, Suntour, Rock Shox, X-Fusion and Fox. The Cannondale Lefty will also work with adapter and lefty specific front wheel.

As time goes by the fork options get more limited unless you go with an 44mm id 1.5" lower cup and use the tapered fork of your choice.
  • 03-16-2015
    BocaJr
    2 Attachment(s)
    2015 Talon 27.5 - 2

Purchased in August 2014. Upgrades (all recent) include:

Rockshox Reba 100mm tapered fork w/ 15mm QR
    Cane Creek external cup conversion lower - EC 44
    Giant Connect stem 70mm
    Deity Decoy platform pedals
    Giant PXC-2 wheelset
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25 Evo SS - Front
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 Evo SS - Rear

Trails closed and still too wet to ride over the past two weeks, with more rain on the way!! :madman:
  • 03-16-2015
    kpla51
    I know what you're saying with wet trails. It snows then 3 days later it all melts, bam rain then more snot then rain. Finally had a nice sunny day and then on my weekend it rained haha. Hopefully this week it will dry out.

Good looking bike too I like the black.
  • 03-17-2015
    UmmYeahItsMe147
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

I'm 175 and running 110 psi on average. I'll go up or down depending on the trails I'm riding too though. Don't forget to try fiddling around with your rebound too, but all in all, ride what feels comfortable to you within the limits of your fork.

Quote:

anyone know if a 27.5 2.4 tire will fit in the rs 30 gold tk forks?

I've got Nevegal 2.35's that measure out to 60mm dead even on the stock wheels. There's a good amount of room left in there and can't imagine 2.4's being a problem.

Good to see those bikes in the dirt btw! Always good to get in some seat time after all the staring haha

Attachment 973601

Quote:

Originally Posted by klettsta1 View Post
    I took the bike out for first time over the weekend. Went to Rays indoor mtb park. Gotta say. Compared to bike I rode last season... its light years ahead. Could have been my first trip while also wearing 510 shoes too. all I know is I felt like a million bucks on the ol talon. I love this bike so much now. Crankset/bottom bracket was beautiful and smooth. all felt GREAT.

Awesome! Good to know. Probably gonna be my next investment on the bike. Glad it was a good ride for you too
  • 03-17-2015
    ace.chen
    Heyya.. Have any one tried to do a 1x9 or 1x10 setup on their Talon's?.. Planning to shred some weight on my bike. Cheers..

Feedbacks and insights are very much appreciated.

• 03-17-2015
    fishwrinkle
    Yup, 1x10 and ss. I recommend getting a 1x crank or spider so that the chain line is at optimum. Cuz if you are like a lot of 1x10er's you might want to go with a giant cog. Optimum chain line is about 47-51mm
  • 03-17-2015
    mxracer394
    I went with the 1x10 on my Talon 1. I got the tace face narrow wide chain ring and Also went with a shimano clutch style derailleur just for the extra comfort of the chain not coming off. Haven't had any issues. Been running it around a 100-150 miles. Only problem I have had is I bent the sprocket. Damn stump
  • 03-18-2015
    ace.chen
    Good to know.. What set-up are you using for your 1x10? did you put a chain guide? cheers!
  • 03-18-2015
    DiRt DeViL
    You don't need a chain guide with a clutch rear derailleur.
  • 03-18-2015
    mxracer394
    I'm not running a chain guide just the clutch style derailleur. A lot of the guys I ride with don't use either, they believe in the narrow wide chain rings but I want the extra assurance
  • 03-18-2015
    fishwrinkle
    For how this bike is supposed to be rode you shouldn't need a guide, but on other bikes, especially FR & DH you will still need at least a minimum guide. I still throw a chain on occasion on my AM bike but not enough to go back to a guide
  • 03-18-2015
    GeauxLSU
    Anyone running a Raidon via the loyalty program?
  • 03-22-2015
    ashsys
    Awesome downhill ride from Phulchowki, Nepal on my Giant Talon 27.5 4 !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSB4bkDSDlk
  • 03-23-2015
    ace.chen
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ashsys View Post
    Awesome downhill ride from Phulchowki, Nepal on my Giant Talon 27.5 4 !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSB4bkDSDlk

Awesome!!

Have you done some upgrades on your bike?

• 03-23-2015
    chuckeieio
    Why is everyone walking up? Climbing is half the fun!
  • 03-23-2015
    Daniel Hall
    Giant Talon 3 - best upgrades?
    2015 Talon 3

Likes: Brakes are good, they hold up well in stressful times. The bike is very light and easily maneuverable in the air. Well made frame.

Dislikes: The cranks are sub par and the forks seem cheap. Both got blown out on my second ride granted it was super rocky with several jumps but that's what you buy them for right?

I'd like to upgrade enough to be able to hit an advanced/expert trail without spending thousands to get there. Any suggestions on forks, cranks, sprockets?
  • 03-23-2015
    Daniel Hall
    Texas
  • 03-24-2015
    DiRt DeViL
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Hall View Post
    2015 Talon 3

Likes: Brakes are good, they hold up well in stressful times. The bike is very light and easily maneuverable in the air. Well made frame.

Dislikes: The cranks are sub par and the forks seem cheap. Both got blown out on my second ride granted it was super rocky with several jumps but that's what you buy them for right?

I'd like to upgrade enough to be able to hit an advanced/expert trail without spending thousands to get there. Any suggestions on forks, cranks, sprockets?

You can't go wrong with Shimano cranks, specially with SLX; Race Face are also good.

Fork is a beaten topic on this thread, RS Reba and the others like Marzocchi 44, Manitou Tower, the offerings from Fox, X-Fusion and the loyalty program from Suntour.
  • 03-24-2015
    capsfan757
    1 Attachment(s)
    new bike
    Just picked up my new '15 Talon 3, took it and put some miles on it around some local park trails and roads today as soon as I got it home. It's my first mountain bike (or any bike I've had over $400 for that matter), so thus far everything seems great to me. I'm sure I'll start noticing some of the shortcomings as I grow in skill and start to put it through it's paces. I'm impressed by how light it is so far and how responsive it is.

As one can imagine, it was a tough decision on what bike to get as there are so many options to be had, from wheel size, to brand, to price point. I think though, as of now, I've made a good choice with all three.

I look forward to the wealth of knowledge I will learn from everyone. One thing that I have noticed for sure so far is that everyone I have spoken to in the biking community if exceedingly helpful and nice, but it may have been just because they were trying to sell me a bike.
  • 03-25-2015
    herder
    How's the sizing on the 2015? I'm 6 feet tall, 33.5 cycle inseam, and shorter arms. Would I be a Large or might I be between sizes?
  • 03-26-2015
    DiRt DeViL
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herder View Post
    How's the sizing on the 2015? I'm 6 feet tall, 33.5 cycle inseam, and shorter arms. Would I be a Large or might I be between sizes?

Most likely a Large with a short stem but if you have short arms a Medium might be worth checking out, test ride before committing.
  • 03-29-2015
    herder
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Dockrey View Post
    To expand on above on the Talon the head tube is setup so it takes a straight steer tube that is 1 1/8". This, in today's standards is considered old school. Most bikes have went to a tapered steer tube which is 1 1/2" at the bottom and 1 1/8" at the top. This helps to stiffen up the front end. There are even some bikes that come with a straight 1 1/2" steer tube.

Why didn't they just provide a tapered tube to begin with? I guess now the bike is less stiff? and its harder to find a fork right? I see the adapter, don't know how much that changes things.

This bike is on my short list of first mountain bike. I think this is the first and only negative I have found so far.
  • 03-29-2015
    DiRt DeViL
    Quote:

Why didn't they just provide a tapered tube to begin with? I guess now the bike is less stiff? and its harder to find a fork right? I see the adapter, don't know how much that changes things.

This bike is on my short list of first mountain bike. I think this is the first and only negative I have found so far.

Keep in mind that the Talon is an entry level bike, most manufacturers don't offer tapered head tube on their entry level bikes.
  • 03-29-2015
    fishwrinkle
    imo 44mm ht is best. it can swing straight or taper. my '13 nimble 9 is 44mm also and that's not entry level
  • 03-30-2015
    DiRt DeViL
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    imo 44mm ht is best. it can swing straight or taper. my '13 nimble 9 is 44mm also and that's not entry level

That's why I said most, there are a few manufacturers still making straight head tube frames but most have adopted the tapered standard on their mid level lines and above.

Having a 44mm id head tube is the best of both worlds IMHO.
  • 03-30-2015
    dshoe70
    Quote:

If they (below) think a straight 44 is fine, then you can rest assured a straight 44 is fine... ;)

Turner Sultan - Turner Bikes
  • 03-30-2015
    DiRt DeViL
    IMO it has more to do with manufacturers pushing new standards to increase sales than anything else.
  • 03-30-2015
    ace.chen
    1 Attachment(s)
    Attachment 977146

Tapered fork on a non tapered headset.
  • 03-30-2015
    Varaxis
    Nice thing about straight head tubes is that mfgs don't have to do elaborate calculations to do close fitting miter cuts for the downtube to fit onto them, considering a wide range of frame sizes with differing head tube lengths.
  • 03-31-2015
    ashsys
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ace.chen View Post
    Awesome!!

Have you done some upgrades on your bike?

All Stock !! No upgrades :)
  • 04-01-2015
    herder
    What size stem comes on the Large talon 3? What is the range of lengths that can be used? I know on road bikes if you go to big or small you really mess with the handling.

I tried out a medium today and the reach was okay but the drop might have been too much. They didn't have a large to try. I was wondering by how much could I shorten the stem on a large? I mean if the reach ends up being too much for me. I'm 6 feet
  • 04-01-2015
    RustyT47
    Quote:

What size stem comes on the Large talon 3? What is the range of lengths that can be used? I know on road bikes if you go to big or small you really mess with the handling.

I tried out a medium today and the reach was okay but the drop might have been too much. They didn't have a large to try. I was wondering by how much could I shorten the stem on a large? I mean if the reach ends up being too much for me. I'm 6 feet

My medium came with a 100mm +/- 8 deg, which was a little bit to long for me (felt stretched). I changed mine out for a Race Face 60mm +/- 8 deg. Handles much better now and I feel much more comfortable on the bike, especially going down hill.
  • 04-01-2015
    DiRt DeViL
    Talk with the shop and ask them to let you try different lengths then negotiate a swap or discount.
  • 04-01-2015
    aggrochooks
    My large came with a 100 mm +/-8 degree as well. It has been replaced with a 65 mm +/- 0 degree one.
  • 04-06-2015
    Igor9999
    1 Attachment(s)
    my giant talon 2 2014
    http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...&thumb=1&stc=1

planning on putting shorter stem 60mm that way i will get awesome handling and maybe one rock shox sticker on frame if i find one:)
  • 04-06-2015
    Igor9999
    what is the exact name of stem you replaced it with
  • 04-06-2015
    aggrochooks
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Igor9999 View Post
    what is the exact name of stem you replaced it with

Are you asking me? I put a Raceface Atlas on mine. Also, stickers make everything faster science has proven that.
  • 04-06-2015
    Igor9999
    yeah you :) atlas wow that must be expensive but very fancy
  • 04-06-2015
    RustyT47
    Race Face Ride XC Stem | Chain Reaction Cycles

Applogies, it's actually +/- 6 deg not 8.
  • 04-06-2015
    Bruce in SoCal
    I recently attended a skills clinic where bike fit was addressed. The coaches found all but one person had stems that were too long.

What I learned is that one does not change stem length for handling, but rather for balance. The idea is that the pivot point is the bottom bracket. Whether the bike is going uphill or down, the rider should be neutral above it and balanced independently of the bike. The stem length should enable the rider to maintain that posture and balance with his or her hands on the grips.

Consider that before just changing stems.
  • 04-06-2015
    Igor9999
    cool :D you got a pic of your bike? do you like my bike
  • 04-06-2015
    Igor9999
    im driving bike since 1999 ( i mean then i got my first real bike with shocks) and i know that shorter stem will give you better handling and give you closer to bike so you re not stretched so you will ride comfortably and better also you will lift your front wheel easier with shorter stem
  • 04-06-2015
    RustyT47
    1 Attachment(s)
    Here is mine.

Are you running the Rockshox 30TK gold fork?
  • 04-06-2015
    Igor9999
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyT47 View Post
    Here is mine.

nice color of bike and maxxis tires wow great (jelaous) . Fork is rock shox xc 30 not gold
  • 04-06-2015
    Igor9999
    off to bed will talk more about our bikes :Dbtw how much did tires cost and whats exact name
  • 04-06-2015
    RustyT47
    Maxxis Ardent EXO. Think I paid abot $50(AUD)each at the LBS. Was a big improvement over the stock tires.
  • 04-07-2015
    Igor9999
    yes thats like one of the best tires out there. But just as i thought very very expensive
  • 04-07-2015
    Igor9999
    1 Attachment(s)
    giant talon 2
  • 04-07-2015
    Igor9999
    Quote:

Maxxis Ardent EXO. Think I paid abot $50(AUD)each at the LBS. Was a big improvement over the stock tires.

i see you changed pedals why are this nerw ones better?
  • 04-07-2015
    RustyT47
    They are a wider than the stock pedals and the pins tend to grip your shoes better. Just personal preference.
  • 04-08-2015
    herder
    so do you have to change the geometry on the bike to put on a tapered fork?
  • 04-08-2015
    DiRt DeViL
    Quote:

so do you have to change the geometry on the bike to put on a tapered fork?

Is the result of "lifting" the front end by installing an external cup, not a big deal all things considered.
  • 04-08-2015
    aggrochooks
    I've been curious about how much an external cup plus a 120mm instead of 100mm fork would change things. I'm guessing it would slacken (is that even a word) the head tube and seat tube by a degree or so and raise the bottom bracket a half inch. I don't know if that would make the bike sluggish or floppy.
  • 04-08-2015
    DiRt DeViL
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aggrochooks View Post
    I've been curious about how much an external cup plus a 120mm instead of 100mm fork would change things. I'm guessing it would slacken (is that even a word) the head tube and seat tube by a degree or so and raise the bottom bracket a half inch. I don't know if that would make the bike sluggish or floppy.

That's a good question and don't think many people have tried that combo, I tried the 120mm front travel and hated it. Lifting the front like that will slacken the geo prolly more than 1 degree making the bike more fun on the rough and downhills but should suck on the climbs.
  • 04-08-2015
    Igor9999
    Quote:

Here is mine.

are your maxxis tires 2.4 mm fat?
  • 04-08-2015
    RustyT47
    No they are 2.25
  • 04-08-2015
    Igor9999
    ok cool i m thinking of getting them when i ll need to change stock tires. But i ll get cheaper non exo version
  • 04-13-2015
    GeauxLSU

A picture from my ride yesterday in Flagstaff, AZ. Current upgrades are front/back tires, ghetto tubeless front/back, new saddle, and spd pedals.

Within the next month I'm going to upgrade to hydro brakes, a new fork, and possibly thinking going the 1x10 route with the GX.
  • 04-13-2015
    aggrochooks
    I bet it's glorious in Flag today. How are the stock wheels doing tubeless? I'm thinking when the stock tires are shot I'll put an Ardent on the front and an Ikon on the back and may get ghetto with it.
  • 04-13-2015
    GeauxLSU
    Perfect weather for riding today in Flag! I normally ride in El Paso and without tubeless you have constant flats there. I did the conversion in 2012 and it's held up with no issues until this day. I did the ghetto with the stock kenda small Block 8s and had a few tire pressure issues. Once I went with the Bontrager tire and then the Ardent pressure holds perfect. I would recommend it.
  • 04-14-2015
    mca90guitar
    grabbed a talon 4, only road it a little today but so far I like it, fits me very well. Going to go out tomorrow and play on the trails :)
  • 04-15-2015
    RustyT47
    My Talon 4 and I have our first XC race on Sunday. Looking forward to it! Hope I can keep up.....
  • 04-15-2015
    mca90guitar
    Road like crazy today, bike handled everything well but i can tell once I hit more tech trails the fork will be an issue. Not a big deal as I bought the bike knowing ill replace them within a month. Just have to figure out what I want now.
  • 04-15-2015
    fishwrinkle
    mca i can tell you from experience that a 100-120 fork will do you good depending on the terrain. i liked the 120 best as it slacked out the front by 1.5* and i have very squared edged (roots n rocks) bumps for a lot of the trails i ride. the tower pro 120 is a great bargain for the the price to customization ratio. i do have the '12 model which is a 29er so.....
  • 04-15-2015
    mca90guitar
    Quote:

mca i can tell you from experience that a 100-120 fork will do you good depending on the terrain. i liked the 120 best as it slacked out the front by 1.5* and i have very squared edged (roots n rocks) bumps for a lot of the trails i ride. the tower pro 120 is a great bargain for the the price to customization ratio. i do have the '12 model which is a 29er so.....

Yeah thats one im looking at, bikes designed for a 100 I think. going to ride the bike as is until the end of may and pull the trigger on one. thanks
  • 04-15-2015
    fishwrinkle
    yeah designed for and possible are 2 different things. the 29er '12 frame was well capable of it even though it will void the warranty. my current bike is rated for a 120 but i've seen the manufacturer ride it with a 150 so don't be scared
  • 04-15-2015
    mca90guitar
    Quote:

yeah designed for and possible are 2 different things. the 29er '12 frame was well capable of it even though it will void the warranty. my current bike is rated for a 120 but i've seen the manufacturer ride it with a 150 so don't be scared

hey, by chance do you know if I would need a whole new front tire if i switched to a 15mm through axle fork? thanks
  • 04-16-2015
    fishwrinkle
    Yeah you'd need a hub that would except a 15mm axle. I'm assuming the talon is still 9mm qr.
  • 04-16-2015
    mca90guitar
    Quote:

Yeah you'd need a hub that would except a 15mm axle. I'm assuming the talon is still 9mm qr.

yup, hmm so now ill either have to stay 9mm and grab a new fork orwait it out and replace the wheel and fork together.
  • 04-21-2015
    RustyT47
    I'm interested in the 1x10 setup that some guys are running on their talons. Is it possible to put a 10 spd cassette onto the stock free hub? and can you still use the stock crank set? I have a Talon 4. Suntour cranks.
  • 04-21-2015
    fishwrinkle
    yes you can put a 10 speed cassette on your freehub. if your crank has bolts and not rivets holding the rings on then yes you can use it. make sure to use the position of the middle ring to help with chain line
  • 04-25-2015
    GeauxLSU
    I'm thinking of going 1x10 with the GX
  • 04-27-2015
    Jelotes
    My Talon
    This is my 2012 Talon 2 29er before and after some major upgrades.

Before:

After:

• 04-28-2015
    aggrochooks
    What size rear tires are you guys running on your 27.5 Talons? Just curious what fits. Also, what size bottom bracket does the frame take?
  • 04-29-2015
    Igor9999
    1 Attachment(s)
    my talon
    :madmax::madmax::madmax::madmax
    Attachment 984912
  • 04-29-2015
    RustyT47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aggrochooks View Post
    What size rear tires are you guys running on your 27.5 Talons? Just curious what fits. Also, what size bottom bracket does the frame take?

I'm running a 2.25 and there is still plenty of room. I believe it is a 73mm bottom bracket.
  • 04-29-2015
    RustyT47
    Started gathering components for a 1x10 setup. Ordered an XT 10spd shifter and a XT shadow plus rear derailleur. Hoping to have everything to do the conversion in the next month or so.
  • 04-29-2015
    mca90guitar
    Well I need to upgrade my tires fast, the stock ones absolutely suck. Cant ride on the more tech trails since they have no traction on anything.
  • 04-29-2015
    RustyT47
    Love my maxxis ardents!
  • 04-29-2015
    mca90guitar
    was considering a minion 2.3 upfront and a ardent 2.25 in back. seems like it would be a decent combo