Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,400 of 2622
    mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hi Guys I've just bought a Talon 2 (2014) and already looking to upgrade some parts on it! I've found a Thompson Elite X4 stem and was wondering if anyone knew if this would fit on the talon? Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_90 View Post
    Hi Guys I've just bought a Talon 2 (2014) and already looking to upgrade some parts on it! I've found a Thompson Elite X4 stem and was wondering if anyone knew if this would fit on the talon? Cheers
    Could you measure your tires for me?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    As long as the stem is for a 1 1/8" steerer tube it will work, that's what I have on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by SRRD-RacinG View Post
    Could you measure your tires for me?
    It comes with Schwalbe Rapid Rob 27.5x2.25" but have the feeling that you're looking for something else.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    As long as the stem is for a 1 1/8" steerer tube it will work, that's what I have on mine.
    Brilliant cheers

mtbr member
    I dig the 2015 Yellow Frame Giant Talon 3. It looks really good in person.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rise000 View Post
    I was very much pleased with 29er Talon 1 so I decide to try his "little" brother 27.5 1 LTD

It's stock for now except Fizik Tundra saddle, VP pedals, wider flat bar and Ergon Carbon grips.

Next will be 1x10 and maybe some Fulcrum wheels...

http://www.igreklik.com/slike/images...7208984670.jpg
    1x10
    ZEE crankset
    ZEE derailleur
    ZEE shifter
    Race Face NW chainring

Ergon GA1 Evo grips, Crank Brothers Cobalt 2 stem & seatpost...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Hey everyone; quick question. Getting ready to purchase an upgrade on my bike for the front forks and if anyone here can help me out as to any reviews (advantages/disadvantages) on these two types of forks.
    Rock Shox Reba or the Fox Float and will it fit the Giant Talon 27.5

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Have been road biking casually a couple of years, currently own a Giant Defy. Decided to give mtb a try so picked up a Talon 4 27.5 for a little trail action! Like it a lot so far. Havent really been able to hit the trails really since I bought it a few weeks ago. Have taken out the bike 4-5 times, twice on trails. The weather has been bad here in the Midwest (Kansas City) with all the rain, never gets a chance to dry out.

Right when I purchased the bike I stripped off the reflectors and little factory stickers. Then last week I ordered some Wellgo MG-1 pedals (bright red). Is there any small stuff I can do to make the bike instantly better? Im thinking of bang for my buck since I figure if I like trail riding I will outgrow this bike quickly (who doesn't love buying stuff). Would spend a little bit on it but nothing crazy!

Just wanted to say hi, thanks for any advice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by KCBizzy View Post
    Have been road biking casually a couple of years, currently own a Giant Defy. Decided to give mtb a try so picked up a Talon 4 27.5 for a little trail action! Like it a lot so far. Havent really been able to hit the trails really since I bought it a few weeks ago. Have taken out the bike 4-5 times, twice on trails. The weather has been bad here in the Midwest (Kansas City) with all the rain, never gets a chance to dry out.

Right when I purchased the bike I stripped off the reflectors and little factory stickers. Then last week I ordered some Wellgo MG-1 pedals (bright red). Is there any small stuff I can do to make the bike instantly better? Im thinking of bang for my buck since I figure if I like trail riding I will outgrow this bike quickly (who doesn't love buying stuff). Would spend a little bit on it but nothing crazy!

Just wanted to say hi, thanks for any advice.

You might consider a saddle. You might also consider going tubeless. But the best bang for your buck in terms of improving your experience on the traipse is to fet some formal instruction.

mtbr member
    From the looks of your picture you've found one of the best places to ride (Landahl). Some things I have purchased from ebay- generic seat bag & lock on grips, fingerless gloves (Pearl Izumi), tubes (Kenda). Swapped tires & saddle from internet shops. Replacing your saddle is a great idea! I'd put a different fork on the front (air, not coil). Take an old tube cut it up and wrap it around the chain stay to protect it from chain slap. Or Ebay one. Stop in that one really cool bike shop on the cornier of 10th & 40 hiway in Blue Springs. They will have plenty of ideas.

Inexpensive updates? Saddle, tires, grips then upgrade as things wear down or break.

Long term upgrades, fork, wheels, cranks and brakes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pitdaddy View Post
    From the looks of your picture you've found one of the best places to ride (Landahl). Some things I have purchased from ebay- generic seat bag & lock on grips, fingerless gloves (Pearl Izumi), tubes (Kenda). Swapped tires & saddle from internet shops. Replacing your saddle is a great idea! I'd put a different fork on the front (air, not coil). Take an old tube cut it up and wrap it around the chain stay to protect it from chain slap. Or Ebay one. Stop in that one really cool bike shop on the cornier of 10th & 40 hiway in Blue Springs. They will have plenty of ideas.
    thanks! Ya the fork on the talon is pretty lame.... well I know people have talked about this a few times but do you recommend a specific fork? I don't even know how to size one to know if it would fit or not. I have been to the bike stop in blue springs! Are you local around Landahl? Im in Lees Summit and curious if there are ever any mtb meets or events or anything like that. Have just started to scratch the surface of mtbing and bought a bike so I don't know squat.

Bizzy, is your fork 27.5, 100mm travel, 1 1/8" straight steerer tube, qr9? If so those are the exact specs that you need for an after market replacement.

If the fork is a Suntour you may also check out their loyalty program, they have a couple of nicer models at a good price.

mtbr member
    Landahl Park & Stocksdale Park (in Liberty) are both 20 minutes from my house. When I get done riding I like to chit chat with guys in the parking lot. So far most have been very friendly. As for mtb meets or events I have no clue. Sometimes bike makers will show up at a park with high end bikes to demo.

Forks- Rock Shox 30 gold tk air if it comes in 27.5. Suntour Raidon & Epicon are a big step up from the coil spring fork you have now. Honestly, I'd just ride and spend $$ on the little stuff until you need a new fork or bend a rim.

Back to spending $$. Do you have 3 or 4 pairs of GOOD bike shorts? How about knee pads, shin guards, elbow pads? Don't forget to accessorize yourself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pitdaddy View Post
    Landahl Park & Stocksdale Park (in Liberty) are both 20 minutes from my house. When I get done riding I like to chit chat with guys in the parking lot. So far most have been very friendly. As for mtb meets or events I have no clue. Sometimes bike makers will show up at a park with high end bikes to demo.

Forks- Rock Shox 30 gold tk air if it comes in 27.5. Suntour Raidon & Epicon are a big step up from the coil spring fork you have now. Honestly, I'd just ride and spend $$ on the little stuff until you need a new fork or bend a rim.

Back to spending $$. Do you have 3 or 4 pairs of GOOD bike shorts? How about knee pads, shin guards, elbow pads? Don't forget to accessorize yourself.
    Sweet, I wonder if landahl would be dry enough to ride this week or weekend, any idea? have some shorts in the mail, but you guys would recommend the knee/shin combo guards? All I have so far are a solid pair of gloves and my road bike helmet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Bizzy, is your fork 27.5, 100mm travel, 1 1/8" straight steerer tube, qr9? If so those are the exact specs that you need for an after market replacement.

If the fork is a Suntour you may also check out their loyalty program, they have a couple of nicer models at a good price.
    Are you talking about a Giant loyalty program of some sort? Would I go to my LBS where I bought the bike to ask them about it?

Are you talking about a Giant loyalty program of some sort? Would I go to my LBS where I bought the bike to ask them about it?
    Is a Suntour program, not Giant; all the details are here.

Basically you get a nice discount for a much better fork by just proving that you own a bike that came equipped or has an aftermarket Suntour fork, all you need is the receipt and the serial number.

mtbr member
    I juts got my 2015 Epixon 120mm fork and will be fix to my Talon soon as i get my new front hub since the fork comes in 15mm TA so I need to change my front hub.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Sweet, I wonder if landahl would be dry enough to ride this week or weekend, any idea? have some shorts in the mail, but you guys would recommend the knee/shin combo guards? All I have so far are a solid pair of gloves and my road bike helmet.
    POC makes excellent knee and shin guards, pricey though. Their helmet with a big, stiff brim saved my face once. I have the Troy Lee Design elbow/forearm pads.
    Don't post, ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Just got back from riding my first red trail on my Talon. Absolutely loved it and the bike rode really well (me not so much). Learned some real lessons but can't wait to get out again.

Started to think about some new forks but really struggling to find anything decent with the straight tube. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-img_0965.jpg  

Started to think about some new forks but really struggling to find anything decent with the straight tube. Anyone have any suggestions?
    SR Suntour North America | SR Suntour Customer Loyalty Upgrade Program

Or you can look at X-Fusion and Manitou.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have a 2015 Talon 3. I just bought a 2014 Epicon XC from Amazon for it. It is a grey market fork so I am sure there isn't any warranty but I am okay with that. 32mm alloy stanchions, mag lowers, alloy crown and steerer. Air sprung, external rebound and remote lockout. On my kitchen scales it weight out at 3.5 pounds. A full 2 pounds lighter then the XCM fork I had. I haven't got it on the trail yet but so far the little testing I have done it is night and day over the XCM. I paid $240 for it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Just got back from riding my first red trail on my Talon. Absolutely loved it and the bike rode really well (me not so much). Learned some real lessons but can't wait to get out again.

Unless you are made of money, ride more first. Then use the cost of a better fork to travel somewhere where you can ride. You'll be way ahead.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    Unless you are made of money, ride more first. Then use the cost of a better fork to travel somewhere where you can ride. You'll be way ahead.
    Not sure what you mean by this...?? I bought a new Recon Gold for my Talon for $238 shipped and I'm not made of money. At all. I also bought a Sun Ringle Charger Comp wheelset for just over $200 shipped. Dropped 4+ pounds for under $500...not bad. Better ride for sure. Definitely worth it.

squish, squish in da fish
    i believe a better fork will gain you more confidence and then you will become a better rider. i'm bias towards the tower pro as you can tune everything and its fairly priced.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Talon owners .....

Hi! Newbie here.. My partner just bought me a Talon 3 27.5 for my birthday and im loving it. Planning to upgrade the pedals and install a bike computer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1414818164.795155.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Talon owners .....

Hi again! I want to upgrade my tires on my talon 3 27.5, suggestions are very welcome..

talk to locals and a lbs in your area that's the best way to get the tire you need. go to the trails and look at what others are riding, talk to them. i could list several tires that work awesome for me, but could possibly be horrible for you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have a 2015 Talon 3. I ride in hard pack with some sand and I have found the stock tires work pretty good for that kind of stuff. I run them at 35 pounds. I weigh 220 and have no issues with pinch flats yet lol.

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    talk to locals and a lbs in your area that's the best way to get the tire you need
    Great advise, the local knowledge is the best; you could also try the regional forums here in mtbr for some rider input.

Just replaced my OE Maxxis Crossmark with Kenda Negal for my fall/winter riding and so far happy with them on leaf infested wet trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Talon owners .....

Im putting on Schwalbe rapid rob 27.5 x 2.10 as per suggested by LBS for newbies like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ace.chen View Post
    Im putting on Schwalbe rapid rob 27.5 x 2.10 as per suggested by LBS for newbies like me.
    That's what my son rides (29er version), loves them and he's no newb.

mtbr member
    Hi! Newbie here.. My partner just bought me a Talon 3 27.5 for my birthday and im loving it. Planning to upgrade the pedals and install a bike computer.

That's nice, I love the colours

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    Not sure what you mean by this...?? I bought a new Recon Gold for my Talon for $238 shipped and I'm not made of money. At all. I also bought a Sun Ringle Charger Comp wheelset for just over $200 shipped. Dropped 4+ pounds for under $500...not bad. Better ride for sure. Definitely worth it.
    agreed. I bought a suntour epicon fork and wtb i23 wheelset with xt hubs. Together price was around $450. I also have a carbon wide bar and my talon 5 weighs 28.2 lbs with pedals. Deity composite platform pedals. I have yet to upgrade my drivetrain. But when I do.. im surethe weight will be much less. Right now my bike weighs same as a large talon 1 tested by mtb action.. my talon 5 is xl frame. Same weight. Still have terrible drivetrain and stem. Upgrading to me... 100% worth it.

mtbr member
    Talon owners .....-image.jpg

My first post glad I found this awesome resource! Thought I would post some photos of my baby. Really love this bike (2013 Talon 29er 0) have had it for 2 years now so far with no issues. Next year I am planning to do some upgrades starting with the fork - most likely this one:

RockShox Reba RL Solo Air Forks - 9mm QR 2015 | Chain Reaction Cycles

My wife has the matching model also 2 years with no issues!

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Talon owners .....-bike4.jpg

Talon 3, have changed stem, handlebars, grips, saddle, pedals and front forks
    also added chainstay protector and water bottle if that counts lol

Only thing left really is some tires, but waiting for current ones to wear out abit first.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MPX309 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BIKE4.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	284.8 KB 
ID:	938488

Talon 3, have changed stem, handlebars, grips, saddle, pedals and front forks
    also added chainstay protector and water bottle if that counts lol

Only thing left really is some tires, but waiting for current ones to wear out abit first.
    Hello MPX309; question: what model RS front forks you have here? how does it ride - and you happy with the RS? where purchase front forks? getting ready to update my Talon 27.5...Also, handlebars and pedals type?.... Nice bike you have here....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB_Dozer View Post
    Hello MPX309; question: what model RS front forks you have here? how does it ride - and you happy with the RS? where purchase front forks? getting ready to update my Talon 27.5...Also, handlebars and pedals type?.... Nice bike you have here....
    Hi thanks, I have the Reba RL. It is a tapered steer stem, with a crane creek EC40/44 bottom bracket. . . This will allow you to fit a tapered fork onto the Talon (I suggest getting it professionally fitted as it'll involve using that weird tension tool to install it)

bars are Renthal Fatbar Lite, and pedals are DMR V8

thanks for the compliments.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    That's awesome....is the Reba RL you have a 2014 model, and, for a tapered steer I have to purchase the adapter for it, correct? I been trying to decide on what type of fork to get, Fox or Rockshox. And so far it's going to be RockShox - Reba RL or the RLT. Because I would have to purchase the adapter on a Fox Float because its tapered, and, save maybe couple hundred dollars.
    Do you know the difference between the RL and RLT? and does it matter what year model on the Reba is good...e.g., 2013, or 2014?

mtbr member
    I think I have the 2014 model, I'm not really sure. . . the stanchions are black on the 15? . . .tbh I just wanted a fork that was better than the SR Suntours and a direct fit aswell & not too expensive, so 100mm travel, and 9mm maxel QR, the only difference is the tapered stem, but the crane creek works by moving the baring below the bike, it will raise your frame up by around 10mm though, but that's not really an issue.

as for the difference, I'm not sure, I know R stands for rebound and L stands for lockout, but no idea what the T is on the RTL, might be compression? Maybe someone else can chime in.

My final thoughts on the Reba is they make a world of difference compared to SR Suntour XCM, but they are probably not suited for heavy down hill riding, there's also abit of flex to them too. . . but if like me you just enjoy the odd light trail then they are a perfect upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MPX309 View Post
    I think I have the 2014 model, I'm not really sure. . . the stanchions are black on the 15? . . .tbh I just wanted a fork that was better than the SR Suntours and a direct fit aswell & not too expensive, so 100mm travel, and 9mm maxel QR, the only difference is the tapered stem, but the crane creek works by moving the baring below the bike, it will raise your frame up by around 10mm though, but that's not really an issue.

as for the difference, I'm not sure, I know R stands for rebound and L stands for lockout, but no idea what the T is on the RTL, might be compression? Maybe someone else can chime in.

My final thoughts on the Reba is they make a world of difference compared to SR Suntour XCM, but they are probably not suited for heavy down hill riding, there's also abit of flex to them too. . . but if like me you just enjoy the odd light trail then they are a perfect upgrade.
    Well said; have to agree with you. I too want to upgrade from a SR Suntour - not very fond of it. There has been good reviews on the Reba in this forum and most likely will go with it. thank you for the input/information...

mtbr member
    I'm thinking of using my 2011 Talon 29er X1 for some winter biking.

What is the widest tire width you've used with your Talon? Think I can get a 2.35 Hans Dampf to fit?

Also does anyone have a recommendation for a 29" studded tire?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Talon owners .....

Quote Originally Posted by MTB_Dozer View Post
    Hello.. Follow up question, what stem and handlebars are you using? Does it fit well with the steerer tube? Does it also come with extra head sets for the stem? Thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Anyone loose weight on their Talons? If so how much? I'm wondering if it makes sense to spend the $ to drop weight or just buy a lighter HT.

Your Best Friend
    There shouldn't be anything on your Talon that is loose. Not sure how weight could be loose regardless.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Re: Talon owners .....

Quote Originally Posted by rekon32 View Post
    Anyone loose weight on their Talons? If so how much? I'm wondering if it makes sense to spend the $ to drop weight or just buy a lighter HT.
    Your usual suspects are wheels, fork, tires and cranks.
    How much are you willing to spend before deciding to get a better equipped lighter bike is up to you.

I AM I AM
    I think losing weight by upgrading the fork would be something really worthwhile, you can lose at least half a kilo instantly there, and you also get a much nicer feeling ride out of it, it can make a huge difference to what was originally a very entry level bike.

As for the rest I guess there is a point where you end up spending that much so that it would have made more sense to just buy an entire new bike.

But in saying that I think with a lot of upgrades and $$ there is no reason the entry level can be just about as great as a dearer bike and you'd have had the pleasure of doing all those upgrades to exactly what you want.

Just depends on what's good for you. Sometimes you end up upgrading but then end up buying a different bike anyway haha

mtbr member
    Hello.. Follow up question, what stem and handlebars are you using? Does it fit well with the steerer tube? Does it also come with extra head sets for the stem? Thanks a lot!

Hello are you asking me? . . . . Anyway just incase you were, the stem is a gusset magnum. . . Gusset Magnum Stem | Leisure Lakes Bikes

It looks more like a BMX stem, but I really like having a short stem, bars are renthal fatbar lites, 740mm wide. . . I really like the width of them, although I don't do much technical riding, but they feel alot better than the stock 670mm that came with the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    So, upgrading the Talon's fork and wheels would set me back at least $800... Which is more than my bike. A little more and I could probably just get a used XTC.

My question is this: Is the Talon a solid frame and worth the $ for good components? I hear a lot of people on here say you shouldn't upgrade a bike doesn't have a tapered steerer...

So, upgrading the Talon's fork and wheels would set me back at least $800... Which is more than my bike. A little more and I could probably just get a used XTC.

My question is this: Is the Talon a solid frame and worth the $ for good components? I hear a lot of people on here say you shouldn't upgrade a bike doesn't have a tapered steerer...
    The frame is solid and geometry wise is very close to the XTC but the problem with it is that it doesn't have a tapered headtube as you mention. There is a work around that and is the lower cup kit that Cane Creek sells that allows a headtube with a 44mm id use a tapered fork.

Had the same concern with our Talon's but decided to do some upgrading trying to keep the cost down while improving the ride. In my son's bike we got a great deal on new SLX brakes, Marzocchi 44 TST2 and Mavic CrossRide wheels plus an used crankset and a couple of not so expensive parts. On mine I sold my NRS to fund a Reba RLT Dual Air and swapped the better parts of the NRS with the Talon before putting it up for sale. The rest will be upgraded as it wears down and being 3 years old there's plenty of life on most of them.

The wheel upgrade alone shaved 3/4 of a pound.

At the end of the day and after a couple of years we're happy with our rides, the difference is that the "major" upgrades were done slowly without bleeding the bank.

mtbr member
    May 2013

All upgraded, except drive train... New drive train will come eventually... No tapered head tube or steerer... No regrets... Couldn't be happier... :-)

Talon owners .....-20140608_153449.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013

Giant Talon 0 29er Mountain Bike Review @ 29eronline.com | 29er Online

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dshoe70 View Post
    All upgraded, except drive train... New drive train will come eventually... No tapered head tube or steerer... No regrets... Couldn't be happier... :-)

Name:	20140608_153449.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	940001
    Very nice! How much does it weigh?

I doubt people even notice the difference between a straight/tapered steerer...

^yeah, that about the steerer. by the time ppl noticed the difference between straight and tapered the frame would br cracking. we are talking xc frame here. not saying you can't use a taper, as there are more options

mtbr member

mvv

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Very nice! How much does it weigh?

I doubt people even notice the difference between a straight/tapered steerer...
    Thanks... Mine's right at 28 pounds right now. That's for size XL, and I'm running tubes, too. And, that heavier, OEM drive train.

See here for one of the most respected FS trail bikes on the market right now:

Turner Sultan - Turner Bikes

It uses a straight head tube, also. They promote the CC XX-style bottom cup (like DD mentioned) as well. So, doubt you need to get too hung up on straight versus tapered head tube. I don't doubt that tapered may be stronger, but it could be more of a marketing gimmick than anything. Especially when you take into account what Fish said... Talon is a hardtail XC-oriented bike after all. Not meant to go bashing downhill, etc.

mtbr member

:d

I AM I AM
    Unless the fork you want isn't available in 11/8 I don't see why you would worry about not having a tapered steerer. Having a nice fork can make a huge difference to an entry level bike, both in the ride and the weight savings.
    Yes a lot of people who are used to having higher end bikes would say it's not worth upgrading but it comes down to what kind of riding you actually do compared to riding you think about yourself doing .....I came across this today, probably sums me up haha.Talon owners .....-bikefunny.jpg

mtbr member

Current Upgrade

Hi. Just would like to share my 2014 Giant Talon 27.5 4 and it current upgrade.
    Handle Bar 750mm
    Stem 50mm
    Suntour Epixon 120mm TA
    Hope front hub 15mm TA

Talon owners .....-10408124_10204239331577719_2263315592060922135_n.jpgTalon owners .....-1377359_10204239332857751_7362841723219678197_n.jpgTalon owners .....-1781965_10204239332257736_9012709433419152552_n.jpgTalon owners .....-10513290_10204239331937728_129162994674233344_n.jpg
    Last edited by kalbones_01; 11-29-2014 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Revise and upload photo

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Talon owners .....

Quote Originally Posted by kalbones_01 View Post
    Handle Bar 750mm
    Stem 50mm
    Suntour Epixon 120mm TA
    Hope front hub 15mm TA

Name:	10408124_10204239331577719_2263315592060922135_n.jpg 
Views:	4591 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	942792Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1377359_10204239332857751_7362841723219678197_n.jpg 
Views:	1111 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	942793Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1781965_10204239332257736_9012709433419152552_n.jpg 
Views:	5808 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	942794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10513290_10204239331937728_129162994674233344_n.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	942795
    Nice upgrades! How's the new fork been doing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kalbones_01 View Post
    Handle Bar 750mm
    Stem 50mm
    Suntour Epixon 120mm TA
    Hope front hub 15mm TA
    Looking good. I'd recommend some lock on grips if you're looking for something else to upgrade, they really make a nice difference, the stock grips are decent but I found them to be a little too chunky. (personal preference I know)

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Can anybody tell me what the bottom bracket size is on the 2014 talon 27.5 frame is?
    Sorry if its a common question that needs answering

looks like an english 73
    Last edited by fishwrinkle; 12-07-2014 at 07:47 AM. Reason: had 68/73 in there as i was talking bb assemblies

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    It's 73.

mtbr member
    2013 Talon 0 BB size.
    Just ordering a shimano tool and a BB from CRC to swap out my powerspline and without the tool I can't get the info off the existing one or find it anywhere online. Everything is still stock on the transmission.
    Can anyone confirm which is the right size powerspline?
    Sizes available..
    Thanks
    GTA
    Ontario

it's def a 73mm shell, so i only see one option, if that's the right model. 68 or 73 is the length of the bb shell of your frame.

mtbr member
    That was my initial thought also. I'll grab that one. I appreciate the response.

On a similar note, I'd just like to review that this BB has gone through 2 of the worst seasons of riding you could probably throw at a bb. 4-7 days a week through rivers past the bb, beach sand, mud, countless hosing downs, frozen rivers and ponds, and a few feet of snow during the winter. This is my training/ beater bike sees over 4 times the use of my race bikes which have BB30s and PF30s and need constant replacement and I only just noticed this week while fitting a new chain that the bb seemed a tad loose. (albeit it might have been loose for some time now)
    I always marvel at how much money I spend on other bikes and this Talon with entry lvl parts (minus wheelset and fork) takes such a beating and somehow works fine all the time. LMAO
    Thanks again.
    GTA
    Ontario

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Be patient and look around. I got a recon gold and a sun Ringle charger comp wheelset for just under $500 with shipping. Shaved off over 4 lbs and upgraded the ride with some decent stuff at a decent price point. Definitely worth it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    so glad to of found this forum
    hi guys/gals, I have just been and got a talon 5,been saving up my packing up smoking money and put it down on one. i have done roughly 20 miles on the bike and i'm very happy with it,but on this short mileage it has already started showing signs stress.
    first problem i have got is while cycling on ice puddles and crashing through them at times,(a ft in places) i've seemed to of broken the front suspension,the lockout on the suspensions does'nt work nor the hardening of the suspension,but truthfully im not overly happy with the front stock shock at all.i did manage to pull a good wheelie in 5th gear today which nearly sent me on my arse, but a little tap on the back brake sorted it out and i carried the wheelie on for some time.the left side grip came off today and i have lost the end cap.i like the brakes ish,acturly i like the back better than the front reasons being the back 1 kinda gives a good stop rate but the front most times feels sluggish (you dont get the sh** i'm going over the handlebar feeling), and theres definatly no way of locking it up when moving,no matter how hard you grab it.also the stock seat for me is a definate no no, i'm a 6ft and i do suffer with back issues,so after the ride i was kinda glad to get off it. i think i'm going to invest in a good selle smp extra good reviews on those.
    BUT the positive side is i like the bikes frame it's nice and light and the bike is rideable and the wheels go round so all is good.i'm sure maybe the issues i'm having with it is just coz its new.

if you haven't rode in quite sometime then any seat is going to be harsh. i too have lower back problems (2 herniated) and when i've been off the saddle for a while my back/kidney area lets me know. takes a min to get those muscles back into the swing of things. yes the fork does suck, but i would just get more miles on it to figure out what needs changing after your body gets used to riding. set a goal of couple hundred miles then re-asses. congrats on kicking the butts n getting healthy and a new ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    if you haven't rode in quite sometime then any seat is going to be harsh. i too have lower back problems (2 herniated) and when i've been off the saddle for a while my back/kidney area lets me know. takes a min to get those muscles back into the swing of things. yes the fork does suck, but i would just get more miles on it to figure out what needs changing after your body gets used to riding. set a goal of couple hundred miles then re-asses. congrats on kicking the butts n getting healthy and a new ride.
    cheers mate, yea i went down to the place i bought it today to tell them about the forks,i could of took it back in today,but he could'nt guarantee i would get the bike back for this weekend, due to other work. so i'm not taking it back this weekend (another ride out).
    he did tell me when i bought it,to take it back in a couple of months because the first service is free so i think i'll take it back then.

mtbr member
    Here's a pic of the adapter for tapered steerers if some one is interested.

Talon owners .....-img_20141119_220928.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Question - I just bought some Stans Arch tubeless wheelset. I'm replacing my Talon 27.5 5 wheelset. My question is will my bike be lighter after installing these?? I'm doing it more to go tubeless than anything else. But i'm just curious if my bike will be lighter....

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Dunno for sure... But, probably almost certainly...

I switched out my OEM wheelset for Stans Flow EX/Hope wheels, and they're lighter than the OEM set. And, Flow EX rims are burlier than the Arch rims.

FYI, too... The biggest/best upgrades I've made to my bike are fork, wheels, and brakes. If I were to rank those three in order of "most surprised by the overwhelming difference made," it'd be wheels first, brakes second, and fork third.

mtbr member
    Talon does the North Pole.

GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Question - I just bought some Stans Arch tubeless wheelset. I'm replacing my Talon 27.5 5 wheelset. My question is will my bike be lighter after installing these?? I'm doing it more to go tubeless than anything else. But i'm just curious if my bike will be lighter....

Yes your bike will be a bit lighter but where you'll probably see improvements is in the stiffness of the new rims. The arches are a nice stiff mixed with light rim.
    Also your stock wheels will go tubeless with a piece of tape and a tubeless stem. Mine have never had an issue.

I ride on my stock SXC-2s in the winter and upgraded the hubs long ago. I have a slightly lighter rim for summer use and even with an expensive rim there's not a lot of weight difference. It all comes down to getting the rotational weight down and a light tire set up tubeless on most mid range rims will give a very noticeable impact in ride quality when accelerating, decelerating and cornering throughout the ride. It all adds up over the course of a ride.

My Talon has sort of become my winter beater and this year I upgraded to a pair of Nokian Gazza Extreme studded tires. They weigh 1250g each and even though I run tubeless I struggle through the same routes I take daily and am much more tired because the added rotational weight. It feels so sluggish. Spending $150 per rim to get 50g off it just doesn't seem worth it in these conditions.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks! I'm working on Fork next!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckeieio View Post
    Yes your bike will be a bit lighter but where you'll probably see improvements is in the stiffness of the new rims. The arches are a nice stiff mixed with light rim.
    Also your stock wheels will go tubeless with a piece of tape and a tubeless stem. Mine have never had an issue.

I ride on my stock SXC-2s in the winter and upgraded the hubs long ago. I have a slightly lighter rim for summer use and even with an expensive rim there's not a lot of weight difference. It all comes down to getting the rotational weight down and a light tire set up tubeless on most mid range rims will give a very noticeable impact in ride quality when accelerating, decelerating and cornering throughout the ride. It all adds up over the course of a ride.

My Talon has sort of become my winter beater and this year I upgraded to a pair of Nokian Gazza Extreme studded tires. They weigh 1250g each and even though I run tubeless I struggle through the same routes I take daily and am much more tired because the added rotational weight. It feels so sluggish. Spending $150 per rim to get 50g off it just doesn't seem worth it in these conditions.
    What kind of tires do you recommend that I pair with the Archs? I live in Los Angeles, CA. The trails I do are mostly dry packed fire roads and single tracks.

mtbr member
    Everyone has their favorites and it all comes down to what works best for you on your trail.
    In a fast light tire for dry hard pack my 2 favorites are the Specialized FastTrack and Schwalbe Rocket Ron. The fastTracks never cease to amaze me in every way.

But as I said it's more by the rider. I see a lot of threads here about how great the Conti Race Kings are and I hated everything about them, from lack of side knobs for turns and absolutely horrible traction both cornering and in a straight line under acceleration and braking. I really wanted to like them but after a few hundred km ended up putting them on my back up bike and after cursing them on there moved to my girlfriends bike path bike.
    Tires are a lot like saddles in respect to what works well for one person may not for the next.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Everyone has their favorites and it all comes down to what works best for you on your trail.
    In a fast light tire for dry hard pack my 2 favorites are the Specialized FastTrack and Schwalbe Rocket Ron. The fastTracks never cease to amaze me in every way.

But as I said it's more by the rider. I see a lot of threads here about how great the Conti Race Kings are and I hated everything about them, from lack of side knobs for turns and absolutely horrible traction both cornering and in a straight line under acceleration and braking. I really wanted to like them but after a few hundred km ended up putting them on my back up bike and after cursing them on there moved to my girlfriends bike path bike.
    Tires are a lot like saddles in respect to what works well for one person may not for the next.
    Thanks! i'll look into those! I have quiet a bit of life on my stock Giant tires. Are the stock Giant tires tubless ready? Or, does it make more sense to go with new (lighter) tires and keep mine as spares?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Thanks! i'll look into those! I have quiet a bit of life on my stock Giant tires. Are the stock Giant Talon tires tubeless ready? Or, does it make more sense to go with new (lighter) tires and keep mine as spares?

mtbr member
    Most tires will set up tubeless. The only tires I have ever owned that say tubeless on them is the Specialized brand (FastTrack and Ground Control). I have 4 wheelsets right now with tires set up tubeless. The only issue I have ever had is sometimes some brands (coninental more than others) having some sidewall weeping. They will weep for an hour or so at most (more so under higher pressures when setting the bead) before the tiny holes set up permanent so not really an issue.
    Edit: By "weeping" I mean that the sidewalls can be porous and have lots of tiny pin-like holes that the sealant needs to plug up.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Ah I see. Thanks for all the help!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    What to you mean by tapered vs non tapered ? Sorry newbie here...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gat3keeper View Post
    What to you mean by tapered vs non tapered ? Sorry newbie here...
    The head tube of your frame... Whether it is one diameter constantly, or smaller diameter up top and larger diameter at the bottom. Also, with respect to fork steerers... Same thing... One, single diameter its entire length, or flares out to a larger diameter down near the crown.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    To expand on above on the Talon the head tube is setup so it takes a straight steer tube that is 1 1/8". This, in today's standards is considered old school. Most bikes have went to a tapered steer tube which is 1 1/2" at the bottom and 1 1/8" at the top. This helps to stiffen up the front end. There are even some bikes that come with a straight 1 1/2" steer tube.

mtbr member

Lefty on a Talon 29er!!!

Up until two days ago i was a Giant Talon 0 29er owner. I sold it to a friend (We'll call him, "Corey", cause thats his name ) that was just getting into mountain biking and wanted a good starter bike. something that he won't out grow too soon and that could be upgraded. As i have too many bikes as it is i don't feel too terrible for letting this one go. It was a grate bike and i know it will be happy with its new owner and that it's new owner will be happy with it. It was Black and blue and a little gray (here is a link to the same color my old bike was: Giant Talon 0 29er Mountain Bike Review @ 29eronline.com | 29er Online)

But it was really fun and im sure it will serve its new owner well for some time to come.

NOW, i have a different friend (Lets call him, Charles, as that is his name and he responds to it. ) that has a Talon and he HATED THE FORK!!! As a Cannondale Lefty fanatic i recommended it to him. after some searching i found one on Craigslist with a front wheel for a good price and after he sealed the deal he was the proud new owner of a Lefty DLR2 29er.

He send it off to Mendoncyclesmith to get it in tip top shape.

Being the local "Know it all" in regards to Lefty's (I don't really know it ALL, but i know a good bit) i told him all that he would need to get this thing on his bike like the Project 321 adapter (1 and 1/8 non tapered) the brake adapter to go from the old forks post mount to the Lefty's mount. Blaaa blaaa Blaa. So once the Lefty got back and everything was ready i set to the task of installing it on his Talon and i have to say it turned out better than i expected.
    So here are some photos of the process and it's outcome:
    The Old poopy fork:
    Talon owners .....-img_2794.jpg

Talon owners .....-img_2796.jpg

Getting the project adapter set up with the crown race from the old fork:
    Talon owners .....-img_2804.jpg
    Talon owners .....-img_2807.jpg
    making sure to get the race on all the way.
    Talon owners .....-img_2809.jpg

I dont want to overload you all with tons of boring photos so i get to the finished product:
    Talon owners .....-img_2836-large-.jpg

Talon owners .....-img_2837-large-.jpg

Talon owners .....-img_2838-large-.jpg

Talon owners .....-img_2842-large-.jpg

Mr. Charles is a happy camper now that his Talon fitted with a much nicer fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    So is the head tube 1 1/8 or 44mm? I see people getting the adapters for tapered forks so that would lead me to believe that they are 44mm? I was looking at picking up a 2014 talon and upgrade the fork, but the fork I want is tapered.

mtbr member
    my 2013 was 1,1/8. I believe they all are.
    GTA
    Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Krickett View Post
    So is the head tube 1 1/8 or 44mm? I see people getting the adapters for tapered forks so that would lead me to believe that they are 44mm? I was looking at picking up a 2014 talon and upgrade the fork, but the fork I want is tapered.
    Both, the id is 44mm and is specd for a 1 1/8" steerer tube fork, you can get the 1.5" bottom cup adapter and run a tapered fork without changing the geo too much.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Both, the id is 44mm and is specd for a 1 1/8" steerer tube fork, you can get the 1.5" bottom cup adapter and run a tapered fork without changing the geo too much.
    thanks for the info! Now I just have to hunt down and adaptor to run tapered.

mtbr member
    Hey guys, just picked this thing up last week and pre-ordered all the standard goodies to go on it. I basically just picked it up to have something fun to trail ride and commute on, and well, just to be able to have something to pedal while I'm building another bike.

I noticed a lot of people are asking whether or not this bike is worth upgrading and in my opinion - yes and no. I wouldn't ride it stock, couldn't even bare the thought. That XCT fork was the first thing I had in mind to get rid of, and of course I had to get wider bars and a shorter stem to perk up the responsiveness. With some research I managed to do it for a great price.

Blue Sky has a great deal on a RockShox XC30 120mm air fork right now. They might have 100mm too, but I'm not sure. It's not the gold series, and they're still only 30mm stanchions, but it was the best deal I could find on a 1 1/8" steerer. Not to mention any air fork will be significantly lighter than any coil fork, plus you can easily adjust the compression by dialing in your pressure. Sure I could go thru axle, but is this bike really worth the money for a higher quality fork AND new wheel set too? I didn't think so, and this fork has been a great budget friendly compliment to an entry level xc bike at only $198 shipped.

Rock Shox XC 30 TK Solo Air 27.5'' 9mm Fork - BlueSkyCycling.com

Also Chain Reaction has some killer deals going on right now. I managed to find my stem for $20 and my bars for $30. Of course that's all personal preference so I'll let you take it from there.

Point intended - I managed to upgrade three key components to my bike for only $250. The only other component upgrade I feel this bike is worthy of are some wider hoops and a 185 front rotor. Yes this bike is definitely worth upgrading, but keep in mind this bike's a simple trail/xc bike. Keep it at that, don't go overboard.

On a side note, however, has anyone else had problems mounting a bottle cage to the seat tube and the bottle not fitting? I've tried three cages now and still no luck getting this thing in there. It's only a 21oz bottle and I've never had this problem before.

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-dsc_0083-2.jpg  

Talon owners .....-dsc_0089-2.jpg  

Talon owners .....-dsc_0092-2.jpg  

Talon owners .....-img_20150214_182700_395.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UmmYeahItsMe147 View Post
    Hey guys, just picked this thing up last week and pre-ordered all the standard goodies to go on it. I basically just picked it up to have something fun to trail ride and commute on, and well, just to be able to have something to pedal while I'm building another bike.

I noticed a lot of people are asking whether or not this bike is worth upgrading and in my opinion - yes and no. I wouldn't ride it stock, couldn't even bare the thought. That XCT fork was the first thing I had in mind to get rid of, and of course I had to get wider bars and a shorter stem to perk up the responsiveness. With some research I managed to do it for a great price.

Blue Sky has a great deal on a RockShox XC30 120mm air fork right now. They might have 100mm too, but I'm not sure. It's not the gold series, and they're still only 30mm stanchions, but it was the best deal I could find on a 1 1/8" steerer. Not to mention any air fork will be significantly lighter than any coil fork, plus you can easily adjust the compression by dialing in your pressure. Sure I could go thru axle, but is this bike really worth the money for a higher quality fork AND new wheel set too? I didn't think so, and this fork has been a great budget friendly compliment to an entry level xc bike at only $198 shipped.

Rock Shox XC 30 TK Solo Air 27.5'' 9mm Fork - BlueSkyCycling.com

Also Chain Reaction has some killer deals going on right now. I managed to find my stem for $20 and my bars for $30. Of course that's all personal preference so I'll let you take it from there.

Point intended - I managed to upgrade three key components to my bike for only $250. The only other component upgrade I feel this bike is worthy of are some wider hoops and a 185 front rotor. Yes this bike is definitely worth upgrading, but keep in mind this bike's a simple trail/xc bike. Keep it at that, don't go overboard.

On a side note, however, has anyone else had problems mounting a bottle cage to the seat tube and the bottle not fitting? I've tried three cages now and still no luck getting this thing in there. It's only a 21oz bottle and I've never had this problem before.

Cheers
    Is there anywhere else closer to Australia where you can buy that fork for a similar price? Looking to upgrade my fork next.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Anyone else have a 2015 29er? Upgraded the brakes (stock tektros are terrible) to shimano SLX after a few rides and I'm loving it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    2014 talon 1 27.5

Talon owners .....-talon1.jpg
    Last edited by kpla51; 03-04-2015 at 05:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

2014 talon 27.5 5

ok, heres my talon 27.5 5. included is a stock photo to show its evolution. the only stock pieces left on it, are the seat post and saddle (edit: and headset) .. which are on the list. but this saddle strangely hasn't hurt me or ever given me issues. bike weighs 27.3lbs. and is an XL frame. here is a list of the upgrades.

Sr Suntour Epicon Fork
    WTB frequency i23 Team tubeless compatible wheelset with shimano XT hubs
    Bontrager XR3 expert 2.20 tires, tubeless.
    Avid DB3 hydraulic brakes
    Bontrager RXL 720mm carbon handlebar
    Bontrager Lock on Grips
    FSA 90mm 6 degree stem
    SLX 3x10 shifters m660
    SLX Crankset fc-m552
    SLX 10 speed cassette HG81
    SLX 10 spd chain HG74
    SLX front derailleur m661
    SLX rear derailleur m663
    Shimano XT bottom bracket
    Deity Compound platform pedals

I also installed the cheap Chinese ebay 160mm HS1 rotors.
    I have yet to ride the bike as its super frigid outside. but she sure is a beauty! brakes and groupset are brand new. they were my final upgrades. i cant wait to try it out. going to take my son to Rays this weekend. then we'll see how it performs.
    Thanks for looking! She's come a loooong ways.
    Talon owners .....-bottombracket.jpgTalon owners .....-bikefront.jpgTalon owners .....-bike2.jpgTalon owners .....-bike-1.jpgTalon owners .....-stock.jpgTalon owners .....-frontbrake.jpgTalon owners .....-cockpit.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    My LBS had a 2014 small 27.5 5 that I picked up for my wife to match my talon 1. When people say the suntour forks are half the weight of the bike they weren't kidding. My bike is significantly lighter. Now we can go riding together and it feels awesome.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    For sure, the stock suntour's that is... they weigh like 6+ pounds
    my epicon weights around 3.5lbs... i love it.

Members who have read this thread: 137