Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast
Results 326 to 350 of 1246
  1. #326
    Go Speed Racer
    Reputation: mtbdennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,057
    Ok, I have it all put together with one spacer on the drive side and none on the other side and that seems to be perfect. Just took it for a spin around the block and it feels great. Fixed the knocking I was getting when pedaling under load, and they look great!

    One last question... Do you know if I am supposed to remove that plastic nut that was used on the non drive side (used to compress everything together)?

    Thanks for all the help! This place rocks!

    Next up is putting on the new front der tonight (after I go for a ride)...

    Talon owners .....-deer-valley-20121108-00641.jpg

    Talon owners .....-deer-valley-20121108-00638.jpg

  2. #327
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ratty2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    578
    Leave the plastic nut thingy in, it gets clamped when you tighten the two bolts up. It helps prevent the crank arm 'walking' off the crank axle.

    On another note, I've cancelled my Talon... But bought a Trance X (26") instead. Pick it up in Feb/ March... Bit of a wait, but my Cotic BFe will do nicely!

  3. #328
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,728
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Ok, I have it all put together with one spacer on the drive side and none on the other side and that seems to be perfect. Just took it for a spin around the block and it feels great. Fixed the knocking I was getting when pedaling under load, and they look great!

    One last question... Do you know if I am supposed to remove that plastic nut that was used on the non drive side (used to compress everything together)?

    Thanks for all the help! This place rocks!

    Next up is putting on the new front der tonight (after I go for a ride)...
    Verified and in deed is one spacer on the drive side.

    The plastic nut is only used to compress the cranks up before tightening the screws, after that remove it and save it for latter use.

    Those cranks are sweet and look great, enjoy them.

  4. #329
    Go Speed Racer
    Reputation: mtbdennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,057
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Verified and in deed is one spacer on the drive side.

    The plastic nut is only used to compress the cranks up before tightening the screws, after that remove it and save it for latter use.

    Those cranks are sweet and look great, enjoy them.
    Thanks for the help! That is what I ended up going with and it works great! Had to get a ride in just after getting them on (PERFECT weather). Once I got home I got the new SLX front der on and it also is working great. I did notice an improvement with the new cranks.

    Thanks again for all the help! If I could rep you again I would

  5. #330
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,728
    Ahh, got confused with the plastic nut, leave it installed. Confused the nut with the compressor tool, save that.

    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Thanks for the help! That is what I ended up going with and it works great! Had to get a ride in just after getting them on (PERFECT weather). Once I got home I got the new SLX front der on and it also is working great. I did notice an improvement with the new cranks.

    Thanks again for all the help! If I could rep you again I would
    NP, that's what we're here for, keep the rubber side down and enjoy the ride.

  6. #331
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ratty2k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    578
    Bit late, but:

    Do not remove the plastic nut.
    1. It weighs next to nothing.
    2. Its a REAL good place to keep it.
    3. It will stop the crank arm walking off.
    I had an older hollowset without the little retaining clip and lost the plastic preload nut. Believe me, your leg will easily overpower any force you can clamp the crank arm with! Result? One knackered crank arm...
    Oh, and Shimano say nothing about removing it either...
    http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...stallation.pdf

  7. #332
    Go Speed Racer
    Reputation: mtbdennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,057
    Thanks. I had left it in... Two rides down, and I am loving them!

  8. #333
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3
    Hi all (almost 1st post in this forum),
    I just got my new 2013 Talon 29er 0 last Saturday.
    For a couple of weeks, I had been trying to decide between the 2013 Trek Mamba and the Talon, and finally the guy from the shop convinced me to get the Talon. I hope I got it right since the Mamba had really good reviews!
    I had a ride off-road on Sunday and it was great. First time riding a 29er so hard to tell how good it is, but it felt good. I did like the brakes and the poplock on the handle bar. Really handy feature.

    I would post some pics but newbies don't seem to be allowed to.

  9. #334
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,728
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwikiwi View Post
    For a couple of weeks, I had been trying to decide between the 2013 Trek Mamba and the Talon, and finally the guy from the shop convinced me to get the Talon. I hope I got it right since the Mamba had really good reviews!
    I was in your position over a year ago, the deciding factor was the part spec and the G2 specific fork. The Mamba had a lower part spec and didn't wanted to limit my fork upgrade options with the G2 geometry.

    Fast forward to today, my son took my first Talon and eventually got another one for myself, upgraded the weaker parts on them and we're pretty happy on how the bikes turned out; you'll enjoy yours too, is a great bike.

  10. #335
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    7
    I actually think the Cobia is closer to the Talon 0 isn't it? With any of these bikes though it's pretty hard to go wrong, there's a reason the two brands make up such of the market. Enjoy the bike!

  11. #336
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3
    Thanks, you guys are right. I'll stop "worrying" and will just enjoy this great bike.

    By the way, really good point Dirt Devil about the Trek G2 geometry and future upgrades.

    For now, with the Talon, I'm just going to ride the bike as is, with the stock components. There isn't anything yet that claims for an urgent upgrade IMO.

  12. #337
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwikiwi View Post
    There isn't anything yet that claims for an urgent upgrade IMO.
    In my experience, just the pedals.

  13. #338
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    145
    I have a 2011 Talon 1 w/ stock forks. Looking at a
    RockShox Recon Gold TK Suspension Fork Solo Air 29" 100mm
    and a 2012 ROCK SHOX Reba RLT 29" Dual Air, 100mm, 15mm Thru Axle. Would love to hear some thoughts, especially from someone who has ridden both shocks.

  14. #339
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jimmy V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by yzfrider View Post
    I have a 2011 Talon 1 w/ stock forks. Looking at a
    RockShox Recon Gold TK Suspension Fork Solo Air 29" 100mm
    and a 2012 ROCK SHOX Reba RLT 29" Dual Air, 100mm, 15mm Thru Axle. Would love to hear some thoughts, especially from someone who has ridden both shocks.
    I prefer the adjustability and feel of my Dual Air.
    The Solo is more simple and quicker/easer to set up, but to me the Reba is superior.
    The Reba came stock on my 2012 Anthem X29er, it's a sweet fork.
    What came stock on your 2011 Talon 1?

  15. #340
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy V View Post
    I prefer the adjustability and feel of my Dual Air.
    The Solo is more simple and quicker/easer to set up, but to me the Reba is superior.
    The Reba came stock on my 2012 Anthem X29er, it's a sweet fork.
    What came stock on your 2011 Talon 1?
    SR Radon

  16. #341
    squish, squish in da fish
    Reputation: fishwrinkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    950
    hi guys, quick question. the head tube ID on the talon, is it 44mm? also, wondering if i get the cane creek 44 headset if i could run a tapered steerer?

  17. #342
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jimmy V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by yzfrider View Post
    SR Radon
    So, if it was my pick, I would get the best deal. Largest % off of retail.
    Either one will be a nice upgrade.
    Only you know what you are willing to spend.
    Enjoy!

  18. #343
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    64
    Well I pulled the trigger today on a Talon0 for my wife. Its a 12 and seems to be in excellent shape. I was able to get it for 450 with an extra set of tires and some shimano pedals. Very happy with this deal. My wife rode it some today around the neighborhood, and it fits her well. I have a Goblin, and it's damn near as nice as that. Except for the fork. Its got the xc28 on it. Need to get it all dialed in and get her out on some singletrack!

  19. #344
    Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Reputation: GelatiCruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    995
    Just an fyi to Talon owners who are looking to upgrade the stock Suntour fork, this was posted by a user in a thread I made about advice on a new fork:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRVancouver13
    Hi All,

    I just wanted to chime in here briefly about our product. We understand that not all bikes come with a fork that meets a riders style, terrain or expectations. SR Suntour makes forks at every level to meet a riders needs. Now I realize we are fighting a bit of a battle to get consumers to try our higher end product so we have launched a new program.

    We are happy to provide a customer loyalty upgrade program that allows end users to upgrade to a fork of their choice from SR Suntour. Forks start at the Raidon level with an air cartridge, adjustable rebound and hydraulic lockout. Pricing starts at $150-$175 depending on the wheel size.

    Best regards,

    Nick
    Could be a nice program/opportunity for people looking to upgrade...ie: me.

  20. #345
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,728
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    Could be a nice program/opportunity for people looking to upgrade...ie: me.
    A little too late for some of us but better late than never, their high end stuff looks interesting and reviewed well but they have to overcome their crappy reputation before trying to play with the big boys.

  21. #346
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8
    Looking for a set of brakes for my talon, upgradeitis has really kicked in. My elixir 1's really aren't cutting it anymore. I'm a little confused about what, if any, mount i need and also can i use any sized rotor?

    my fork isn't really bothering me that much, im looking to upgrade it in the spring.

  22. #347
    squish, squish in da fish
    Reputation: fishwrinkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    950
    if you run 160mm rotors like the ones that came on it stock then most forks will allow direct bolt on. if going to bigger rotors you will need adapters from the brake company to allow for the growth in circumference. oh once you upgrade that fork you will ask yourself why in the hell you waited so long. ride a buddies bike with a plush fork and you will know in the first hard corner and chatter.

  23. #348
    squish, squish in da fish
    Reputation: fishwrinkle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    950
    while im here i do have a question regarding G2 geo on a cobia. as i upgrade my talon i was planning on taking the parts form the talon and putting them onto a cobia frame i acquired. i have no clue to this G2 geo, so would the crappy stock fork from giant not be good to put on the cobia, and why? the cobia is eventually going to be my daughters first real bike. she has a lil growing to do, its a 17.5" and she is 5'-3". if it dont work then it sits here for buddies to use. i found the frame stripped and laying in the bushes behind a church i was working at. i watched for a month then scooped it up. pretty sure its hot as its been stripped of all except drivetrain.

  24. #349
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,728
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    while im here i do have a question regarding G2 geo on a cobia. as i upgrade my talon i was planning on taking the parts form the talon and putting them onto a cobia frame i acquired. i have no clue to this G2 geo, so would the crappy stock fork from giant not be good to put on the cobia, and why? the cobia is eventually going to be my daughters first real bike. she has a lil growing to do, its a 17.5" and she is 5'-3". if it dont work then it sits here for buddies to use. i found the frame stripped and laying in the bushes behind a church i was working at. i watched for a month then scooped it up. pretty sure its hot as its been stripped of all except drivetrain.
    The only part that the G2 really affects is the fork due to the "special" geometry that the G2 bikes have, the other parts will play well between the Talon and the Cobia.

  25. #350
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DiRt DeViL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakkenbus View Post
    Looking for a set of brakes for my talon, upgradeitis has really kicked in. My elixir 1's really aren't cutting it anymore. I'm a little confused about what, if any, mount i need and also can i use any sized rotor?

    my fork isn't really bothering me that much, im looking to upgrade it in the spring.
    If you keep the same rotor size (160mm) you won't need any adapters but if you go bigger (to increase power) you'll need an adapter for your new rotor size (usually 180 or 203mm).

    If all you want to do is replace your brake set go with Shimano SLX or XT and keep the same rotor size, those brakes are powerful enough.

Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •