Page 13 of 52 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    squish, squish in da fish
    it's all personal preference, but i am your size. i put a 50mm 0 rise stem and 740mm flat bar on it. my seat was set at about mid way between my hip joint and top of pelvis. better way for you to set it up would be to have your leg bent at around a 10-15* angle when fully extended down, almost full extension but not locked out. seat fore/aft should be set so your bump below knee is directly over your pedal spindle when crank is at 3 o'clock on drive side. then adjust handle bars accordingly. depends on what kind of stance you're comfortable with.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourdagespl View Post
    Hello,

I have a Talon 0 in large. I'm 6'2'' with 34 1/2'' legs.

Some talon owner here with approx same mesure? I'm trying to find the best seat level / stem combinaison.

Attachment 813802
    I'm 6'1.5" and right at about 34.5" inseam. I went with a size XL 2012 Talon 0. LBS had me ride both large and XL, back-to-back. They said I could go with either size, since I am right on the border of both, but that I looked better on the XL. They said I looked a little bit cramped on the large. I'm also a stout dude, at about 235 pounds.

On the XL, I run a 75 mm/17-degree stem, with 711 mm bar. I think saddle height is just something you have to play around with, and get set right for you after a little trial-n-error.

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourdagespl View Post
    Hello,

I have a Talon 0 in large. I'm 6'2'' with 34 1/2'' legs.

Some talon owner here with approx same mesure? I'm trying to find the best seat level / stem combinaison.

Attachment 813802
    Measure your inseam and multiply it by .883, that will give you the saddle height then use KOPS to determine the saddle fore/aft position and then use a level to level the saddle with the nose slightly up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm still running around with the pogo stick RochShox XC28 on my talon. I was coping with it till now but oh my gosh its horrendous. I just don't know how I haven't noticed how bad it really is!

Anyways.... What's the best fork to stick on this frame?

anything, but the one you have. on a serious note, i love the manitou tower pro. it has infinite adjustments, good price for everything it has to offer, & CS is spot on. they have me for life. depending on your weight you might have to buy a new coil for it but they are cheap. 2012 and newer come with a firm and anything older comes with a medium which is for around 140/150#'s. there are some good threads on here on how to tweek 'em if you do decide to scoop one up.

In no particular order, Fox Float 29, Rock Shox Reba RLT, Manitou Tower, Marzocchi TST2 Micro Ti.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hi all. New here but thinking of picking up a 2012 Talon 2. LBS has it for $499.. think it'd be a good start off point? Will be using it daily for getting to work then trail use on the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by ntrinsik View Post
    Hi all. New here but thinking of picking up a 2012 Talon 2. LBS has it for $499.. think it'd be a good start off point? Will be using it daily for getting to work then trail use on the weekends.
    All Talon's share the same frame, the difference is in the components and color scheme.

In your case I'll suggest buying a set of slicks for your commuting and swapping tires for trail use unless you don't mind using up your dirt tires on the road.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    anything, but the one you have. on a serious note, i love the manitou tower pro. it has infinite adjustments, good price for everything it has to offer, & CS is spot on. they have me for life. depending on your weight you might have to buy a new coil for it but they are cheap. 2012 and newer come with a firm and anything older comes with a medium which is for around 140/150#'s. there are some good threads on here on how to tweek 'em if you do decide to scoop one up.
    Isn't the manitou tower a 15mm qr? How hard is it to convert my 9mm to 15mm

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The float 29 is horrendously expensive. Don't think it's cost effective to upgrade to it, 9mm drop outs are becoming less common as is the 1 1/8 steerer. Gonna have a look at the tower and the Reba. Can't seem to find anywhere in the UK that stocks them, are forks a difficult part to buy? Might have a chat with my lbs too.

nope the tower comes in all 3 axles. to go from 9 to 15mm you need a new hub w/ adapter caps. not poss w/ stock hubs. you can get a hope pro 2 evo w/ adapters for under a $100 from wiggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakkenbus View Post
    The float 29 is horrendously expensive.
    That's why you don't see many of those on Talons, is almost as expensive as the top of the line Talon. The more affordable that I've seen so far is the Marzocchi TST2 Air, my son has one on his Talon 1 and performs well but the Micro Ti, Reba and Tower will out perform it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Do any of you guys do any XC type of racing with your Talons? We have a couple of races coming up down here in So-Cal.

Who took my gears?
    Quote Originally Posted by WooitsPhillip View Post
    Do any of you guys do any XC type of racing with your Talons? We have a couple of races coming up down here in So-Cal.
    Have not yet, but have two coming up... Not looking to set any records.

Do any of you guys do any XC type of racing with your Talons?
    Saw a guy racing his where we used to live, we recently did the Black Fly Challenge and my kid will continue racing his until September on the NY State Mtb Series.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Yeh, i just want to try them just to do it. Hopefully my forks will handle it..

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    What width tire does everybody run? Is 2.35 too fat to fit into the talon? Looks like it'll be tight for space.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm running 2.3 Specialized Renegade S-works in the rear, 2.3 Purgatory S-works in the front, stock SR Suntour fork. I'd think you have enough clearance for 2.35s.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakkenbus View Post
    What width tire does everybody run? Is 2.35 too fat to fit into the talon? Looks like it'll be tight for space.
    As a 155-pound rider geared up, what is a better upgrade from factory- wheelset or fork? I'm thinking Sun Ringle Black Flag Pros or a RS Reba, $500 either way through a LBS.

I plan on replacing the Giant root hydraulic brakes with Avid Elixir 9's, an maybe getting some carbon bars from a friend for cheap while I'm at it.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Talon owners .....

I think you'll immediately notice the most difference with a fork. Especially over the stock suntour fork. Have you thought about the upgrade program through suntour? You could get a pretty nice fork for around $200 and put the other $300 towards a wheelset.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Anyone point me to a way if contacting someone for the sun tour upgrade program? Mine is getting springy and clunks when going off a jump. 2012 Talon 1

mtbr member
    May 2012

SRAM X-9 Rear derail

Thanks to an unfortunate bike rack dismount, I could really use a new rear derailleur. My '11 came with an X5. I am thinking an X9 would be a good update. Any experience with this set-up?

Quote Originally Posted by heypal99 View Post
    Thanks to an unfortunate bike rack dismount, I could really use a new rear derailleur. My '11 came with an X5. I am thinking an X9 would be a good update. Any experience with this set-up?
    Should work just fine.

krakkenbus, i ran 2, 2.35 rampage's no probs.

chem bro, i'd stay away from elixir anything. i blew through 3 sets of 1's and now have xo's and they still have the same probs as the 1's. if you like to bleed brakes and always keep the cups cleaned & lubed, then you'll love em. they are temperamental.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    As a new Talon owner (2013 Talon 1) this thread is a great read.......no doubt I'll be asking for advice in the future too!

Had bad experiences with Avid hydros (Juicy and Elixir), I would look at something else.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanthias1 View Post
    As a new Talon owner (2013 Talon 1) this thread is a great read.......no doubt I'll be asking for advice in the future too!
    awesome! did you get a 29er or a 27.5?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    awesome! did you get a 29er or a 27.5?
    29er and I love it! It's replacing an old Upland SE, so virtually anything would be a massive improvement.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I keep on reading complaints about Avids, but the handful of friends that ride with Elixirs have had no issues. I've ridden bikes with XT brakes and those things are monstrously strong. The stock Roots are OK at modulation, just weak overall.

chem bro, i'd stay away from elixir anything. i blew through 3 sets of 1's and now have xo's and they still have the same probs as the 1's. if you like to bleed brakes and always keep the cups cleaned & lubed, then you'll love em. they are temperamental.
    After going to the LBS to look at forks, I'm kind of discouraged to see the RS Recon Gold TK are around $550, and the RS Reba RLT are $675. Meh. As much as I like my LBS, I won't be spending that much for a Recon.

Quote Originally Posted by chemical_brother View Post
    I've ridden bikes with XT brakes and those things are monstrously strong
    Yeah, XT IMO are the strongest out there but Hope and Formula are not that far behind.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chemical_brother View Post
    I keep on reading complaints about Avids, but the handful of friends that ride with Elixirs have had no issues. I've ridden bikes with XT brakes and those things are monstrously strong. The stock Roots are OK at modulation, just weak overall.

After going to the LBS to look at forks, I'm kind of discouraged to see the RS Recon Gold TK are around $550, and the RS Reba RLT are $675. Meh. As much as I like my LBS, I won't be spending that much for a Recon.
    Look elsewhere/keep looking... Those prices you mentioned are too high. I got my brand new 2013 RS Reba RL at an LBS for $527 OTD, right after the first of this year. The Recon Gold was around $100 less than that. Also, a friend of mine bought a new 2013 RS Reba RLT off of ebay a while back, for around mid-$400 range.

Quote Originally Posted by dshoe70 View Post
    Look elsewhere/keep looking... Those prices you mentioned are too high. I got my brand new 2013 RS Reba RL at an LBS for $527 OTD, right after the first of this year. The Recon Gold was around $100 less than that. Also, a friend of mine bought a new 2013 RS Reba RLT off of ebay a while back, for around mid-$400 range.
    I paid around $450 for a Reba RLT and around $325 for a Marzocchi 44 TST2 Air on eBay.

mtbr member

Picture finally!

Talon owners .....-20130716_165610.jpg
    2012 Giant Talon 1 29er (all stock)

Rode up to Hunt's Tomb above the Phoenix Zoo through Papago trails.
    Last edited by ynnek; 07-18-2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Additional info
    2012 Giant Talon 1

thats a good bike. how long have you had her? i bought mine the beginning of july '12, ended up putting about 1400 mi on it. i loved the bike except for a couple components. the frame is an awesome platform from which to build. i've taken everything that i upgraded and swapped to another frame so i almost have her back to stock with the exception of the fork, that will be a voodoo 500. anyhow, i'm glad you made an edit so you already answered my 2nd question. you're lucky

mtbr member
    how long have you had her?
    I just bought it a couple weeks ago. They had a huge sale on the older models so I had to grab it. 50% off.

I'm not riding anything crazy yet so I don't think I'll need any upgrades. Though, I was interested in going tubeless because of what I read about pinch flat/puncture resistance. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by ynnek; 07-18-2013 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Forum (and MTB) newb.
    2012 Giant Talon 1

nice, & if you're anything like me you will be. especially with terrain like you have

Quote Originally Posted by ynnek View Post
    I was interested in going tubeless because of what I read about pinch flat/puncture resistance. Any suggestions?
    Tubeless won't prevent the punctures, it will try to seal it so you can continue riding. Pinch flats almost go away when you convert because there will be no tube.

If you want to go that route you could get the Stan's strips and convert or give the ghetto method a try.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ynnek View Post
    I just bought it a couple weeks ago. They had a huge sale on the older models so I had to grab it. 50% off.

I'm not riding anything crazy yet so I don't think I'll need any upgrades. Though, I was interested in going tubeless because of what I read about pinch flat/puncture resistance. Any suggestions?
    What did you end up paying for it? I just started looking at these and will be hitting up the lbs around my area.

Who took my gears?
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Tubeless won't prevent the punctures, it will try to seal it so you can continue riding. Pinch flats almost go away when you convert because there will be no tube.

If you want to go that route you could get the Stan's strips and convert or give the ghetto method a try.
    I ride the same trails out here in AZ, and honestly I would never go back to tubes after converting to tubeless. It eliminated ALL pinch flats (and I was getting a lot before I converted). It also eliminated 99% of my other flats. I seem to even "aim" for the little cholla cactus balls on the trail (the ones I used to be worried about running over). I still carry a spare tube in my camelback in case I get a puncture that STANS will not seal. In over a year (I ride 2-4 times a week) I have had to put the tube in once or twice. Before going tubeless I was flatting about 1 out of every 10 rides.

Tubeless allows you to run much lower pressure in your tires, giving you more traction and a little more suspension in addition to preventing most flats.

Once nice side effect is it does shave a little (albeit small) amount of weight..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjblake09 View Post
    What did you end up paying for it? I just started looking at these and will be hitting up the lbs around my area.
    I paid $500 new. The Giant website said it was $860 (2012 model) and the LBS had the full-price tag @ $800. I went to a few other shops to compare and they still had them @ ~$800-$860. Hopefully the good deal wasn't just an illusion to fool me into thinking I saved a few hundred bucks. If so, it worked, haha.
    2012 Giant Talon 1

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hell of a deal!

Who took my gears?
    Quote Originally Posted by cjblake09 View Post
    Hell of a deal!
    Agreed, for $500 that was a steal!

Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Agreed, for $500 that was a steal!
    Steal it was, paid $975 (tagged at $1025) for my Talon 1 back in 2011.

mtbr member
    Yeah, they had three in stock at that price and they were all gone over that weekend. Glad I decided to get a mtb when I did. Sounds like I got lucky.
    2012 Giant Talon 1

mtbr member
    Real quick. Got 4 days in on San Juan Huts before I crashed and dislocated my left shoulder. My Talon took the beating much better than I did and was awesome to ride the first four days. I might post the experience in the beginners forum. I should note that I replaced the stock suntour fork with a Marzocchi 44 before the trip. Love to do it again, minus the crash and wouldn't hesitate to take the Talon on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quick project on my 2012 Talon 1.

I noticed the Suntour fork was sticking and a bit noisy and just not smooth (well, ok more than normal) so I decided to try something. Took it completely apart, cleaned everything and put it back together slathering everything in wheel bearing grease. WOW what a difference.

It's still no RS Solo air, but WAY better. I was completely shocked at the difference this made. If yours is hanging, or just not smooth, don't turn it into a boat anchor yet.

mtbr member

2013 Giant Talon 0

I have had my new 2013 Giant Talon 0 out on 7 or 8 times so far (14-16 hours of single track). I am really digging the overall geometry and being able to run a lower tire psi is a big plus as is the lockout on the fork. I ditched the seat right away for a WTB Rocket V but otherwise running all stock for now. Coming from a Giant 26er to this bike I can really feel the forward momentum that builds up in a 29er rig. I can tell by the sections of trail that I would normally be pedaling but the larger diameter wheel just eats up the trail. The rear brake can be bit noisy at times and I don't understand why yet but overall I am all smiles on the trail and no regrets on the purchase.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-img_0606.jpg  

Talon owners .....-img_0598.jpg  

Talon owners .....-img_0602.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    nice & dirty

mtbr member
    Got mine in May and with the summers off been on the trails daily. I'll give this thing credit that it can take a serious beating. (recorded over 800km on it so far)
    So far......
    Handle grips were ripping and sliding off.. Stock pedals broke after a few weeks (they were like walmart pedals anyway) and the racing rob tire on the back wore bald in 6 weeks and I'm waiting till the front is a slick before swapping it out. Should be another week or so. (they are cheap)
    Shifters brakes and fork all do what they're supposed to and do it quite well for the price.
    It has a real nimble feel for having such large wheels.

Talon owners .....-dsc08457.jpg

Talon owners .....-dsc08456.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm a semi noob. I bought a '13 revel1 29er to start on. Loved the feel of the bike, and it got me hooked for sure. It didn't take me long to start wanting to upgrade. Then some piece of shhhhh stole it. Went and got a sweet deal on a '11 talon1 from my lbs. I'm loving it. I'm going to change the bars to wider ones, go 1x9, and tubeless. The only issue is it has a lot more chainslap than the revel did. I mean a lot more. I'm guessing the chain is too long? I'm waiting on my bbg bashes, and I'm going to be making a change to the chain anyway so.. Love this thread.

mtbr member
    Fun subject: Best trailer-hitch and rack combo (have neither yet) for a 2012 Mazda 3 hatchback? (I'm sure there is a thread for this somewhere but I couldn't find what i was looking for.)
    2012 Giant Talon 1