Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast
    Ba ba ba bird bird bird
    Quote Originally Posted by cj_desmit View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I came across a set of SunRingle Chargers for a decent price, but am not sure they'll work... Here's a link to the description: Sun Ringle 29" AM Charger Comp 9/15/20 Black | eBay

Or... possibly these? Sun Ringle 29" XC Black Flag CompWheelset 9/15/20 Black @ eBikeStop.com

The thing that's making me think they wont work is it says 10x1 for the rear axle type...?
    To my knowledge the talon has a 10x1 rear axle.

mtbr member
    ^^ what he said

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just got mine today. Getting ready to get out and get her dirty! Need another 9 pics before I can put a pic up

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Krakkenbus View Post
    Just got mine today. Getting ready to get out and get her dirty! Need another 9 pics before I can put a pic up
    Welcome to the club. There is a lot of good information in this thread about your new ride. However, beware, there is a severe case of upgradeitis going on!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    You're telling me! Stock pedals are gone, nukeproof electrons in their place. Since I'm totally new to this the forks don't seem "that bad" to me, maybe time will tell! I'm out for a day of riding tomorrow so I'll see how I get on.
    Had a blast earlier on in my local wood, I couldn't help but crave more speed!

mtbr member
    I just passed 250 miles on my Talon. I switched out the fork to a Rockshox Reba RLT, went tubeless, switched to a lighter seat, and threw on some Geax Mezcal tires. She's down to just over 27lbs.

My initial impressions still hold true: very stable on descents, surprisingly maneuverable, and comfortable geometry.

I think I finally have the new fork dialed in, which has vastly improved the ride quality over the Suntour when in the chop.

I weigh about 180# with gear and my Rockshox is set to 110+/105- which is in the middle of the suggested range. I had it set with less pressure, and positive equal to negative, but the ride seemed harsher. My typical ride (my commute) is atypical east cost singletrack: rolling and smooth with only occasional rocks and roots.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Got my 2013 Talon 0 a few days ago and I love it. I'm just getting back into riding after several years of minimal mountain biking and wanted to replace my 26er with a 29er. I was a little worried about the fork (XC 30) as my 26er has a fairly decent Manitou Skareb, but after a few rides I've been pleasantly surprised. It weighs more obviously, but the rebound/preload are easily adjustable and the remote lockout is a nice touch being on an entry level ride.

I was most surprised how this thing climbs. It's the first 29er I've ridden and it seems if you pace yourself correctly it shoots straight up most climbs. Overall I'm very happy with my choice.

One other thing I've seen is that people don't like the look of the 2013 Giants. This is a personal thing obviously but I love the colour scheme and pictures online don't do them justice. They've actually got a nice matte finish and the colour scheme all flows from the Giant logo painted on the head tube. It's too early to be sure, but the matte finish makes it seem like the paint will be more durable as well.

Let me know if you've got any questions about the '13 model and I'll try to answer them. It's awesome that Giant improved the specs while also lowering the price (for us Canadians anyways)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    i had my doubts about selecting this bike as i was lusting for an air9 from jenson. couple reasons i opted out were, LBS needs $ more than jenson & the talon 1 was 1/2 the price. im an impulse buyer but had done extensive research. i now am on the look out for a DH/FR, maybe a glory? i like the frame alot, tires are good for hardpack/pavement, the drivetrain sucks, elixers are ok, avid rotors blow as well as the spaghetti like fork. whew! but thats me being picky. all in all its a great step in the right direction. i would have got the 0, but they didnt have my size and after walking 3 miles in +100* i was def riding something home.

bought july 3 12

changes are:
    pedals-atomlab pimplite wrx- feckin love em w/ some sticky shoes
    post-RF ride- not an upgrade but trying to strip some giant badges. think i counted 23 on bike!
    saddle-charge spoon- comfy and cheap $27
    spacers- bling factor
    stem- nukeproof warhead 50mm
    bars- nuke proof warhead 760's cut to 720mm- this length bar with short stem = touchy steering, less forgiving but sooooo much better for me
    grips- yeti- love em as they are thick, chunky, & super sticky. cant beat em for $24 oh and 2 lock rings per
    sram 8spd powerlink chain- these arent made for my abuse. burned one up in 8 wks.

near future:
    gravity dropper classic
    panaracer FireXC Pro
    azonic convertible 20x110 front hub
    manitou tower pro 120mm 20mm axle
    Shimano Deore M590 Triple Chainset
    mrp lrp chainguide & tensioner
    x9 or x0 deraileurs
    180mm front 160mm rear rotors & brakes to be determined
    Very nice!

mtbr member
    Just pulled the trigger on a Talon 2 on Saturday. Pick it up in a month or so.
    Normal bikes are a Transition Covert with 66's and a CCDB heavy and slow uphill (like me!) but great on the downs. a Cotic BFe that a great all rounder HT. But needed something a bit more XC for more normal duties. The Talon fitted the bill nicely and I got nearly 100 off at my LBS (Ron Spencer cycles) UK based and a real nice bunch of guys!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ratty2k View Post
    Just pulled the trigger on a Talon 2 on Saturday. Pick it up in a month or so.
    Enjoy it and please share some dirty pics (of your Talon off course).

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by whooda View Post
    I have a talon 2010 talon 1. The front shock was terrible but replaced that with a marz bomber 44 micro ti. I could have been happy with it if I had never ridden a nice fork.
    I broke the chain after about 200 miles. The rear derailur kept coming loose, some locktite fixed that.

Seat post kept coming loose and finally damaged the grooves that prevent it from moving. I replaced that with an easton ea70 from the classifieds and now its perfect!

Fork 225
    chain 15
    seat post 35

Oh, and all the reflectors broke off.
    Thats funny. all the reflectors on all my Giant mountain bikes broke off too!
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

My Brain Hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitch89 View Post
    Got my 2013 Talon 0 a few days ago and I love it. I'm just getting back into riding after several years of minimal mountain biking and wanted to replace my 26er with a 29er. I was a little worried about the fork (XC 30) as my 26er has a fairly decent Manitou Skareb, but after a few rides I've been pleasantly surprised. It weighs more obviously, but the rebound/preload are easily adjustable and the remote lockout is a nice touch being on an entry level ride.

I was most surprised how this thing climbs. It's the first 29er I've ridden and it seems if you pace yourself correctly it shoots straight up most climbs. Overall I'm very happy with my choice.

One other thing I've seen is that people don't like the look of the 2013 Giants. This is a personal thing obviously but I love the colour scheme and pictures online don't do them justice. They've actually got a nice matte finish and the colour scheme all flows from the Giant logo painted on the head tube. It's too early to be sure, but the matte finish makes it seem like the paint will be more durable as well.

Let me know if you've got any questions about the '13 model and I'll try to answer them. It's awesome that Giant improved the specs while also lowering the price (for us Canadians anyways)
    I am really liking the 2013 Talon 0. One of the big shining spots in the new lineup! It is like the Big Boy version of my 2010 Rincon! Only better!

Quote Originally Posted by noreasterbackcountry View Post
    You are at the WRONG place for an unbiased opinion. With that said, $600 is a fair price.

Just know that you WILL want to replace that fork unless you ride on pavement and very smooth trails. The 2011 Talon has a QR15 hub which is harder to find than 9mm, and thus leads to more expensive options. Expect to pay around $400 for a decent fork upgrade.

Note that you can get a lesser brand bike with better components for the $1000 that you would pay for the Talon plus a fork upgrade (e.g. Sette 29er with X7, Avid Elixir 1, Rockshox Recon Silver fork. 3x10 is $999 right now).

I chose Giant because I've never had an issue with the quality of their frames.
    I also looked at the Settle and some of the bikes direct offerings as well. And this is very true! However I also am very happy with Giant and really like my local dealer. So Giant is a strong player in the new bike hunt.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

My Talon

Hello fellow riders! Just installed new harware on my Talon. Hope things gets better from here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-dsc_1209.jpg  

Go Speed Racer
    Dirt Devil (or anyone else) --

I am going to be replacing my cranks with the SLX dual ring (Chain Reaction Cycles has a great deal on them right now)

I am thinking about also switching out the Front Der with a 2x specific version, but I am not sure about the seat diameter and thus not sure which one to get... I just know that you have the answer

Here is the link to the der I am looking at, can you help me pick which size to get (2011 Talon 29er 1)

Is it 28.6, 31.8 or 34.9?

Also wondering if this one would work... I think it would look better... Shimano SLX M665 Top Swing 2x9 Front Mech | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Thanks!

Go Speed Racer
    Thinking it is the same as the seat collar... 34.9 ....

Edit:

Yep, read somewhere that it is stamped inside the clamp, so I took the stock one off and there it was... Stamped 34.9...
    Last edited by mtbdennis; 11-04-2012 at 05:19 PM.

mtbr member

Talon 0 26er - upgraded

Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    There's a 26 inch version of the Talon, plenty of them on eBay but they're from overseas.
    This is my 2010 Talon 0 26er, I've upgraded it with the following:

Fork - Rock Shox Reba RLT 120mm (2012)
    Wheel set - Mavic 721/HopePro2Evo
    Brakes - Shimano SLX Hydraulic disc 180/160mm
    Drive train - XT Rear Derailleur and SLX 9 speed Casette
    Bar and Stem - Easton EA70 Bar, EA90 Stem
    Pedals - Shimano M324

I'm very happy with it but I must admit, sometimes I think instead of spending the time and money with these upgrades, would I have been better off just going for a higher spec bike to begin with?

I initially chose a Talon as my impression of the Giant XTC range was that it was higher performance race oriented range with a focus on weight reduction which I interpret as potentially not being as rugged and resistant to damage. I'm less concerned with a light bike as long as its a strong bike. I weigh about 220 lbs.

I have enjoyed the customizing process and it now rides really well, particularly once I got my tyre choice dialled. I have had a Kenda Small Block 8 2.1 on the back and Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 up front and find it a good combo. However, with winter mud the clog factor on the Kenda SB8 may become an issue.

All of the components I have taken off my bike have ended up on my girlfriends bike as near new upgrades for her, so I have been able to recycle which is good.

I'm in the UK by the way, and initially got interested in the Talon when reading this article (Bike Radar 2010) :

Giant Talon 0 Review - BikeRadar

I would really like to do some riding in the US particularly on the dry desert/rocky places like Utah, Arizona and New Mexico etc...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-img_8578.jpg  

Talon owners .....-img_8580.jpg  

Talon owners .....-img_8581.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Thinking it is the same as the seat collar... 34.9 ....

Edit:

Yep, read somewhere that it is stamped inside the clamp, so I took the stock one off and there it was... Stamped 34.9...
    There's nothing like self service

mtbr member
    Dirt Devil (or anyone else) --

I am going to be replacing my cranks with the SLX dual ring (Chain Reaction Cycles has a great deal on them right now)

I am thinking about also switching out the Front Der with a 2x specific version, but I am not sure about the seat diameter and thus not sure which one to get... I just know that you have the answer

Here is the link to the der I am looking at, can you help me pick which size to get (2011 Talon 29er 1)

Is it 28.6, 31.8 or 34.9?

Also wondering if this one would work... I think it would look better... Shimano SLX M665 Top Swing 2x9 Front Mech | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Thanks!
    The cranks will be fine but there's no real need to change the front mech, just adjust the limit screws and save some coin.

Go Speed Racer
    The cranks will be fine but there's no real need to change the front mech, just adjust the limit screws and save some coin.
    Thanks for responding! The reason why I started looking at a new front der was because the difference in teeth on the 22/36, I read that you needed a der that was capable of 14 tooth difference. I ended up getting one anyway because it was so cheap, and I would like to move it down a little bit closer to the middle ring (the existing one can not be lowered much due to clearance on the chainstay (and it is not designed to work like that).

Anyway ordered the Triple SLX crank and the SLX conventional der. Will post pics once it is all done...

mtbr member
    Thanks for responding! The reason why I started looking at a new front der was because the difference in teeth on the 22/36, I read that you needed a der that was capable of 14 tooth difference. I ended up getting one anyway because it was so cheap, and I would like to move it down a little bit closer to the middle ring (the existing one can not be lowered much due to clearance on the chainstay (and it is not designed to work like that).

Anyway ordered the Triple SLX crank and the SLX conventional der. Will post pics once it is all done...
    You'll save some weight and the shifter will work just fine, plus the SLX looks a lot nicer than the Deore.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I am thinking of purchasing my wife a Talon 2 - 29er. She's 5'7" and this will be her 1st MTB. I am currently riding a RH 2010 26". The guy selling it said he has only taken the bike on two trail rides and just kind of need the money. He was asking $525 and I got him down to $425 and its a 2012. I am not sure with the possibility of having to change the fork or should I just go with a Airborne Guardian?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie88 View Post
    I am thinking of purchasing my wife a Talon 2 - 29er. She's 5'7" and this will be her 1st MTB. I am currently riding a RH 2010 26". The guy selling it said he has only taken the bike on two trail rides and just kind of need the money. He was asking $525 and I got him down to $425 and its a 2012. I am not sure with the possibility of having to change the fork or should I just go with a Airborne Guardian?
    You're asking on the Giant forum so expect biased answers, $425 for a Talon 2 isn't bad specially if is like new.

Talon vs Guardian, based on a quick look at the specs the Guardian has a better component spec and has a lower MSRP, if you can afford it go for it.

Go Speed Racer
    Dirt Devil ... My new SLX cranks are here (got the triple) and I got all the tools I need to go at this myself My question is... Did you use the spacers and how many? I tried two on the R (side with the rings) and one on the other side, and there was not enough room to get the preload cap on the other side (I made sure to tap the cranks all the way in)

I just tried with no spacers, and it seems like there is a little too much spindle on the non drive side.

Anyway, my question is if you used any spacers (how many on each side...)

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dirt Devil ... My new SLX cranks are here (got the triple) and I got all the tools I need to go at this myself My question is... Did you use the spacers and how many? I tried two on the R (side with the rings) and one on the other side, and there was not enough room to get the preload cap on the other side (I made sure to tap the cranks all the way in)

I just tried with no spacers, and it seems like there is a little too much spindle on the non drive side.

Anyway, my question is if you used any spacers (how many on each side...)

Thanks!
    Believe that for the SLX I used one on the drive side and none on the non-drive side, will verify when I get home tonight.

Positive that with the Stylo used no spacers.

Go Speed Racer
    Believe that for the SLX I used one on the drive side and none on the non-drive side, will verify when I get home tonight.

Positive that with the Stylo used no spacers.
    Thanks! Let me know what you find out...

That is where I am at with it right now. This has been part of my learning about how to work on my bike, been fun, but looking forward to being done with it!

Page 13 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast