Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,200 of 2643
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Re: Talon owners .....

Quote Originally Posted by SilkySlim View Post
    I've been using Geax Saguaro TNT 2.2's for a while now and they're great.

You're able to mount these tires either direction; one way for speed, the other for traction. While I've mounted them in various directions, I currently have them mounted with speed in the rear and traction in the front. These tires grip great through the corners and roll fast! They've held up well for 2 seasons of riding but are getting close to a change.

While you said your not going tubeless it should be noted that these tires are great candidates for a tubeless conversion. The beads set super tight, in fact you'll more than likely brake a tire lever while mounting them. With 2 scoops of stans and a hand pump (no air compressor needed) these tires will set no problems!
    Thanks for the input! I will add those in my search. A lot of local guys swear by the panaracer rampages. I haven't heard much talk online... Seems like everyone mentions high rollers ardents or Hans dampf. But I might try the rampages.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

squish, squish in da fish
    2nd season of rampage's here. i love the tire, we have all types of soil around here and it handles it all pretty well, good all around tire but it don't play well in mud

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Do you guys know of any 2.4 tire that will clear the frame in the tail and fork in the front on the stock wheel?
    Giant Talon ... with a few upgrades

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Talon owners .....-my-giant-talon.jpg

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Ugrades:

Fox Fork
    Front De.
    Rear De.
    Crank
    Cassette
    Chain

mtbr member
    May 2014

new bike and old bike!

Talon owners .....-20140509_081251-1.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by adr8 View Post
    Good to see a fellow Aussie on here

I have the Talon 4 and the LBS replaced my pedals with better ones at the first service as they begun to move a bit under load. The Talon 2 has the same pedals so I'm guessing yours will be shot by the first service, you never know they might replace them under warranty.
    Haha it's!

I managed to hit a rock a few days ago and bent the pedal pretty well so I don't think I'll bother waiting for a service, going to check out a few lbs' over the next few days and try get some advice on stems and hopefully find some decent pedals.

The little plastic thing at the end of my handlebar grips has fallen off which is allowing the grip to slip. Hopefully that's covered under warranty as I don't really feel like looking for new ones haha.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I broke one of my stock pedals on my FIRST ride. Lol Pieces of junk.

mtbr member
    Yea, they're garbage as are most entry level to top shelf bikes. They are mostly there so you can pedal the bike around the parking lot to test it before you put your own pedals on it that suit your riding. Flats, egg beaters, clipless, etc. If they chose a good one of these chances are that they wouldn't be the one you use.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Been using mine to build a trail by my place this year. The Talon still surprises me long after it's been replaced.
    Here it is in beast mode.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blind1 View Post
    Haha it's!

I managed to hit a rock a few days ago and bent the pedal pretty well so I don't think I'll bother waiting for a service, going to check out a few lbs' over the next few days and try get some advice on stems and hopefully find some decent pedals.

The little plastic thing at the end of my handlebar grips has fallen off which is allowing the grip to slip. Hopefully that's covered under warranty as I don't really feel like looking for new ones haha.
    Same happened to my grips, they will replace the plastic bit at the first service. Also had a small leak where the brake hose connected to the lever and after about 800km my bottom bracket developed a bit of side to side movement which where both fixed under warranty.

I have ridden about 1,300km now and all good, they are great bikes

Will be getting new tyres and brake pads as they need to be replaced very soon.

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckeieio View Post
    Cool machete holder

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hi All! new to the Forum and Sport. been trolling reading and trying to learn as much as i can. I bought a 2014 Talon 2 29er.

I curios if the stock seat/saddle (Connect, upright), has a tilt option? I'd like to lower the front of the seat about 1/4-1/2in. I have the bottom of the saddle about lined up right above the front steering stem. Would like to lower the front a little, to make it easier for peddling.

thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    nmind, took it apart. was able to figure out how it works. much more comfy now with the nose angled down a bit

mtbr member
    Hello all! Also been trolling around for a while and trying to learn as much as possible. So a thought occurred to me last night that I want to try out, but I wanted to run it by you all first. I have a '12 Talon 0 and hardly ever use the outer most chain ring. I was wondering if it was possible to set the derailleurs/chain up so it would essentially act as a poor man's 2x9. The reason being I hate having to shift into big-big on the downhills to minimize the awful chain rattling that occurs. Thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Your Best Friend
    Yes, you could. You could also just not shift into the big ring. Limiting the FD is not going to reduce chain slap. You need a clutch/type 2 RD for that.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Yes, you could. You could also just not shift into the big ring. Limiting the FD is not going to reduce chain slap. You need a clutch/type 2 RD for that.
    Well, my thought was to also shorten up the chain so that it would "cross-chain" on the middle ring in front and the largest cog in the rear (so I wouldn't even be able to get into the biggest ring in the front). I guess it doesn't seem like a huge hassle to shift into big-big, I just find when I get going on really hilly terrain with quick up/down transitions, it requires quite a bit of forethought to shift into that config. Idk, maybe I'm just being particular about it all...

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Anyone have a 2014 Talon 2 29er? can someone recommend a shock? looks like options are somewhat limited due to non-tapered fork. but i can get a cane-creek adaptor 1.18. will this change the height? (handle-bar height)

mtbr member
    May 2014
    actually i found this:

Amazon.com : RockShox Reba RLT - Solo Air 100 mm, (9 - mm QR, (1-1/8, 29 - Inch), Crown Adjust, Black) : Bike Suspension Forks : Sports & Outdoors

looks like it'll drop right in...non-tapered, 1.18.

what do ya'll think?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GTX420 View Post
    Anyone have a 2014 Talon 2 29er? can someone recommend a shock? looks like options are somewhat limited due to non-tapered fork. but i can get a cane-creek adaptor 1.18. will this change the height? (handle-bar height)
    Several choices if you look hard enough from Rock Shox, Fox, X-Fusion, Marzocchi, Manitou and Suntour.

If you go with the adapter your head tube angle will change slightly, about 1 degree.
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 05-21-2014 at 08:12 AM.

mtbr member

actually i found this:

Amazon.com : RockShox Reba RLT - Solo Air 100 mm, (9 - mm QR, (1-1/8, 29 - Inch), Crown Adjust, Black) : Bike Suspension Forks : Sports & Outdoors

looks like it'll drop right in...non-tapered, 1.18.

what do ya'll think?

thanks!
    I went with the X-Fusion Slide RL2. Ordered it from the LBS for a little under $400. Love it so far, just need to wait and see about durability/reliability.

Edit: it's comparable to the Reba (from what I've read/was told by LBS).

mtbr member
    May 2014
    thanks, dirt devil and ricky! I will start saving for the fork. on another note...what do you guys think of this flat bar?

Amazon.com : Race Face Ride Mountain Bike Handlebar (Black, 31.8-mm Clamp, 580-mm Wide, Flat) : Sports & Outdoors

I'll probably purchase from my LBS, or something similar.

the stock handle bar feels too high up. and i really like the look of the flat bar.

What's a decent price for a decent or good quality flat bar?

thanks, dirt devil and ricky! I will start saving for the fork. on another note...what do you guys think of this flat bar?

Amazon.com : Race Face Ride Mountain Bike Handlebar (Black, 31.8-mm Clamp, 580-mm Wide, Flat) : Sports & Outdoors

I'll probably purchase from my LBS, or something similar.

the stock handle bar feels too high up. and i really like the look of the flat bar.

What's a decent price for a decent or good quality flat bar?
    The OEM setup is a bit tall, IMO; 15d raise stem plus a raiser bar is what mine came with. Before you spend any money why don't you try moving spacers and or putting the stem on negative raise (upside down) to see if that improves.

My kid rides with one of the small spacers under the stem, negative raise (-6d) stem and the rest of the spacers on top of the stem. Mine has all spacers under the stem and the stem also on negative raise (-10d); both use 680mm flat bars but his bars are FSA SL-K carbon and mine Giant Contact Alu.

Pricing? Bars can go from a couple of bucks to a couple hundreds, all depends on what you like and how much are you willing to spend.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    The OEM setup is a bit tall, IMO; 15d raise stem plus a raiser bar is what mine came with. Before you spend any money why don't you try moving spacers and or putting the stem on negative raise (upside down) to see if that improves.

My kid rides with one of the small spacers under the stem, negative raise (-6d) stem and the rest of the spacers on top of the stem. Mine has all spacers under the stem and the stem also on negative raise (-10d); both use 680mm flat bars but his bars are FSA SL-K carbon and mine Giant Contact Alu.

Pricing? Bars can go from a couple of bucks to a couple hundreds, all depends on what you like and how much are you willing to spend.
    Thanks! I actually have already flipped the stem...had it done by the LBS. it does feel better. The OEM bars are Sport Low Rise, but i'm not sure how wide it is. I may want to use the same width, as to not change the steering feel too much...but I would like to go a little shorter.

What width do handle bars come in? or is it one of those things where they come in all sorts of widths. Let's say i purchase a Giant brand...

Found these on the giant website. Contact XC Flat Handlebars (Handlebars) - Bike Gear | Giant Bicycles | United States

but they're 690mm instead of the 680mm. 1cm difference.

Do you know what the OEM length is?

Your Best Friend
    690mm is probably as narrow as you'd want to go unless you have a slight body type. I like 690mm but also use 740's.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    May 2014
    well, looks like i only have one spacer above the 'trapezoid' or 'cone' shaped thingy. I guess i can have the LBS move the space from the bottom to the top of the stem? (Stem is already flipped)

and get a flat bar...would like a more aggressive stance..

As for the handle bar width...does any one know the OEM width for a 2014 Talon 2?

740mm? or 690mm? I don't wanna go wider than OEM, but a little shorter would be nice.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    anyone?

Nmind...just dropped my talon off at the lbs for a monthly tune and got a new bar

Picking it up 2morrow
    Last edited by GTX420; 05-22-2014 at 03:02 PM.

my 2012 was 660mm i believe and slide the grip off and it's probably stamped in it. i currently run my talon with a 70mm stem and 760mm bar.

My 2011 was 660mmm too.

mtbr member
    2015 Talon 27.5 1 just released in Australia

Talon owners .....-15mgi_talon1bu.jpg

Frame ALUXX Alloy
    Fork RockShox XC 30 Gold, w/TurnKey lockout, 100mm travel

COMPONENTS
    Handlebar Giant Connect XC rise, 690mm wide
    Stem Giant Connect Alloy 8 degree
    Seatpost Giant Connect, 30.9mm
    Saddle Giant Connect, Upright
    Pedals Alloy MTB w/toe strap
    DRIVETRAIN
    Shifters Shimano Deore, Rapid Fire 30sp
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore 34.9 10sp
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XT Shadow 10sp
    Brakes Shimano M355 hydraulic, 160mm rotors
    Brake Levers Shimano M355 hydraulic
    Cassette Shimano HG50 11-36T, 10sp
    Chain KMC X10 10sp.
    Crankset Shimano M552, 24-32-42T
    Bottom Bracket Shimano sealed
    WHEELS
    Rims Giant S-XC2 Alloy, double wall 32h
    Tires Schwalbe Rapid Rob, 27.5x2.25

mtbr member
    2015 Talon 27.5 2

Talon owners .....-15mgi_talon2_bk.jpg

Frame ALUXX alloy
    Fork RockShox XC 30, w/lock-out, 100mm travel

COMPONENTS
    Handlebar Giant Connect XC rise, 31.8mm
    Stem Giant Sport alloy, 6 degree
    Seatpost Giant Sport Alloy, 30.9mm
    Saddle Giant Contact Upright
    Pedals Alloy Platform
    DRIVETRAIN
    Shifters Shimano Deore, Rapid Fire 30sp
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore 34.9 10sp
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore Shadow 10sp
    Brakes Tektro HDM 290 hydraulic, 160mm rotors
    Brake Levers Tektro HDM 290 hydraulic
    Cassette Shimano HG-50, 11-36T, 10sp
    Chain KMC X10 10sp
    Crankset Shimano M552, 24-32-42T
    Bottom Bracket Shimano sealed
    WHEELS
    Rims Giant Alloy, double wall 32h
    Tires Giant Sport 27.5x2.1

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    my 2014 talon 27.5 5 had 660mm stock bar

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks all for the replies. Think my OEM bar is 670 end to end. I'm guessing the new flat bar is a 640. We'll see how it feels when I pick it up this afternoon! Cant wait!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Just picked up my Talon 2. OEM are 670mm. New handle bars are 620mm, shorter than I wanted...but it actually feels real good. Will definitely have to test it out more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    nice, i went 720mm carbon on the talon 5. gorgeous stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    i just picked up a WTB saddle from the LBS...much more comfy than the OEM Giant.

Speed V Pro Gel

Speed V | WTB

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Anyone have this seat?
    forgot the link:
    Selle Italia SLR XC Gel Flow Black
    Amazon.com : Selle Italia SLR XC Gel Flow Saddle, White/Black : Bike Saddles And Seats : Sports & Outdoors

did a quick search and it suppose to be one of the better seats. Lightweight and good cushion. anyone know if 'good' padded seat is good enough to wear jeans or windbreaker pants? i really don't like bicycle tights

Anyone have this seat?
    forgot the link:
    Amazon.com : Selle Italia SLR XC Gel Flow Saddle, White/Black : Bike Saddles And Seats : Sports & Outdoors

did a quick search and it suppose to be one of the better seats. Lightweight and good cushion. anyone know if 'good' padded seat is good enough to wear jeans or windbreaker pants? i really don't like bicycle tights
    That's a racing saddle, doubt that will be as confy as any of the affordable WTB V series saddles; we use the discontinued Selle Italia ProLink Gel Flow, great saddle but used to go over $100.

To me they are all uncomfortable without a padded short, baggies or lycra.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    That's a racing saddle, doubt that will be as confy as any of the affordable WTB V series saddles; we use the discontinued Selle Italia ProLink Gel Flow, great saddle but used to go over $100.

Thanks, Dirt Devil! you and me are the only folks keeping this thread alive! LOL

To me they are all uncomfortable without a padded short, baggies or lycra.
    that's what i figured, it's either comfort and heavier...or lightweight with no comfort. I WAS able to find a pair of padded briefs on Shop42A.com

Can you recommend a good pair of baggy padded shorts?

thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2013

that's what i figured, it's either comfort and heavier...or lightweight with no comfort. I WAS able to find a pair of padded briefs on Shop42A.com

thanks!
    Do you want shorts that have a removable liner and those specifically for mountain biking? I only am because you can basically DIY for much cheaper. Most baggies are just a padded liner and a board short like material. If you look online you can snag padded shorts for 10 bucks from PricePoint and then decent board shorts from anywhere (Amazon, eBay, *****, Target).

Furthermore if you want to try actual shorts even though its the same as doing it yourself try the Hoss stallions on blue sky before they run out or the canari cycling baggies on the clymb.

OK there is a slight luxury to official ones like better button/waist strap and pockets, but getting padded shorts and board shorts is surprisingly very close and very underated. People seem to think that they need to be Troy Lee or fox baggies that cost $80 when in reality it's basically just board shorts and padded shorts.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Smile

Anyone have this seat?
    forgot the link:

Chromag Trailmaster (basic, all-leather one)... You can thank me later.

Four, long, multi-hour rides on mine so far, all with nothing more than thin, nylon shorts (no pad of any kind). And, no real discomfort to speak of, either.

It's an amazing saddle!

Talked my friend into buying one, too. He was here riding with me the week before last. He rode mine a few times to try it out. Before the week was even over, he had already ordered his very own.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by robr1023 View Post
    Do you want shorts that have a removable liner and those specifically for mountain biking? I only am because you can basically DIY for much cheaper. Most baggies are just a padded liner and a board short like material. If you look online you can snag padded shorts for 10 bucks from PricePoint and then decent board shorts from anywhere (Amazon, eBay, *****, Target).

Furthermore if you want to try actual shorts even though its the same as doing it yourself try the Hoss stallions on blue sky before they run out or the canari cycling baggies on the clymb.

OK there is a slight luxury to official ones like better button/waist strap and pockets, but getting padded shorts and board shorts is surprisingly very close and very underated. People seem to think that they need to be Troy Lee or fox baggies that cost $80 when in reality it's basically just board shorts and padded shorts.

I have two pairs of dedicated mountain biking "shorts/pants." One pair is a Louis Garneau knicker, and the other pair is a Troy Lee short of some model (forgot which). The LG knicker is okay. The Troy Lee short is awesome. Never woulda thunk it, until I witnessed it myself..............but, the littlest details (mainly the fabric itself) make a huge difference.

I've mainly been riding in those TL shorts lately, without the padded brief and au naturale instead. Combined with that Chromag saddle I just referred to, it's nothing short of bliss for hours/miles on end (compared to what I used to ride).

But, I do agree... I rode in a pair of TNF trail running shorts a few weeks ago, for 3+ hours. And, no problems there, either. I think those trail running shorts were like half the cost of the TL shorts, and I got the TL shorts on sale for a really great price. I think those TL shorts are around $130 normally, but I got em' for something like $75.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Here they are... Troy Lee Ruckus short. I bought the purty yeller ones, as a 2013 model year closeout. Wouldn't hesitate to buy em' again, even though I choose not to use the inner pad. Highly recommended...

Troy Lee Designs Ruckus Shorts Fall 2013 | Troy Lee Designs | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Updated pic of my 2012 Talon 2 29er

Talon owners .....-photo.jpg

added some conti mountain kings, ghetto tubeless, new wheels and crank

Quote Originally Posted by dshoe70 View Post

Four, long, multi-hour rides on mine so far, all with nothing more than thin, nylon shorts (no pad of any kind). And, no real discomfort to speak of, either.

It's an amazing saddle!
    x2 on this. been riding the ltd version for a week and LOVE it. i found it on bike bling for $100

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Been on here for a while and thought I would show off my Talon 29er 1. It's a 2013 I got at the end of last summer. It didn't take me long to start wearing out some of the cheaper compontents (bottom bracket, headset) and instead of just replacing I upgraded. Before I knew it, I basically had upgraded every single thing on the bike. The only stock parts left are the saddle and stem. Here's the abbreviated list of parts: Manitou Tower Pro fork, carbon bars, Cane Creek headset, 1x10 setup using the crank from an XTC and an XT Shadow der, KCNC titanium seat post, SLX brakes w/ XTR rotors 180f 160r, Stan's Crest wheels, Maxxis Ikon tires. It's a large and I got the weight down to 24.1 pounds. The last upgrade I made were the wheels and brakes at the same time. Those two things shaved off two pounds and made the biggest difference in how the bike performs. Here's a couple pics.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by juicetifer View Post
    Been on here for a while and thought I would show off my Talon 29er 1. It's a 2013 I got at the end of last summer. It didn't take me long to start wearing out some of the cheaper compontents (bottom bracket, headset) and instead of just replacing I upgraded. Before I knew it, I basically had upgraded every single thing on the bike. The only stock parts left are the saddle and stem. Here's the abbreviated list of parts: Manitou Tower Pro fork, carbon bars, Cane Creek headset, 1x10 setup using the crank from an XTC and an XT Shadow der, KCNC titanium seat post, SLX brakes w/ XTR rotors 180f 160r, Stan's Crest wheels, Maxxis Ikon tires. It's a large and I got the weight down to 24.1 pounds. The last upgrade I made were the wheels and brakes at the same time. Those two things shaved off two pounds and made the biggest difference in how the bike performs. Here's a couple pics.

beautiful bike!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    x2 on this. been riding the ltd version for a week and LOVE it. i found it on bike bling for $100
    Yeah, that's the same one my friend ordered. The fancy version, with the natural brown, saddle leather cover. I didn't get to see it since he ordered it while he was here on vacation, and he didn't get it until he got back home. He says it's pretty awesome though, and feels just like my standard version from what he could remember of trying it a couple weeks ago. I think he wanted that natural brown look to go with his "flame orange" bike frame (Salsa Spearfish), too. I watched him order it from Amazon on his smartphone, the night he did it. I think he paid around $120 on there. You got an even better deal. Hope you continue to love it, like I do mine so far...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by juicetifer View Post

Super nice bike! I agree with ya, too. Three main things I've upgraded on mine are wheels, brakes, and fork. And, in that same order is where I've noticed the biggest improvements in performance.

That's a very personal thing just like saddles but have had great success with Fox and Bontrager gear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I use Canari mtb shorts. They have gel padding which I find much much better than the normal foam most shorts have. I get them at ***** Sporting Goods for $50. I can ride all day on my stock saddle and never have a bit of discomfort. Without padded shorts I can't ride 20 min on that saddle.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    2015 Raleigh Tamland
    2015 Motobecane Boris X7
    2015 Felt Edict

mtbr member
    May 2014
    That's a very personal thing just like saddles but have had great success with Fox and Bontrager gear.
    Of Course, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'll just have to buy and try it out. that said, i ordered a pair of hillcrushers and ATD cargo shorts. Hope these work out.

Do you mean this seat? Amazon.com : Chromag Trailmaster Leat her Cover Blk : Bike Saddles And Seats : Sports & Outdoors

@Shawnk386 -- sweet looking bike. Medium Frame? what kinda seat do you have? it looks aggressive from the rear.

@juicetifer -- really nice setup, i wanna lighten up my Talon too, but shocks and rims are pricey...will try and ride it like i stole it before i upgrade

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yep... That's the one I have. The standard Trailmaster, in black. The standard version has a perforated, all-leather cover, and cro-mo rails.

The one Fish mentioned is the LTD version, with natural brown, saddle-quality (high-quality) leather cover, and titanium rails.

They also make a version of it that has a reinforced, synthetic cover.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Yep... That's the one I have. The standard Trailmaster, in black. The standard version has a perforated, all-leather cover, and cro-mo rails.

The one Fish mentioned is the LTD version, with natural brown, saddle-quality (high-quality) leather cover, and titanium rails.

They also make a version of it that has a reinforced, synthetic cover.
    I'll definitely consider the Chromag if the Speed V doesn't work out. I like that the Chromag is lighter, and does look nice, wish it had the "love parts" channel.

right now, i'm drooling over the Comp XTC 29er 1

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'll definitely consider the Chromag if the Speed V doesn't work out. I like that the Chromag is lighter, and does look nice, wish it had the "love parts" channel.

right now, i'm drooling over the Comp XTC 29er 1
    All of the Chromag Trailmaster saddles do have the "love channel." It's just less conspicuous than the one on many of WTB's saddles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    @gtx420 it's a large frame with a charge saddle. My talon weighs in a 28.2 lbs.

mtbr member
    anyone know the weight comparison of a talon 19er to an XTC 29er alum frame?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bosbik View Post
    anyone know the weight comparison of a talon 19er to an XTC 29er alum frame?
    I too, am curious

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Loving my switch to the Wellgo MG-1's.... Grippy and cheap. I'd say they are half the weight of the stock rat craps I was still on. Just need some better shoes. Five Ten is my current interest.

OK Back to tires.....

My rear has just over 1700 miles and is pretty damn smooth. Front still looks great but never feels like it has a good bite on the loose over sandstone trails. I'm thinking of the Schwalbe Hans Dampf with the harder pacestar compound. Sounds like a good tire but I do a lot of street riding as well. Any cons on this tire with my street riding?

Info: My average rides are 18-25 miles. Sometimes I only get 4 -5 miles of that off road. I average 5-9 miles of street to get to a trail. Monthly I ride to my hometown which is 45 miles round trip.

Also does anyone know which Kenda tire was re-branded to Giant for the stock Talon tire?
    I brew the best beer around, don't believe me? Ship me a keg of your finest and I'll email a picture of me drinking it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer_Czar View Post
    Loving my switch to the Wellgo MG-1's.... Grippy and cheap. I'd say they are half the weight of the stock rat craps I was still on. Just need some better shoes. Five Ten is my current interest.

OK Back to tires.....

My rear has just over 1700 miles and is pretty damn smooth. Front still looks great but never feels like it has a good bite on the loose over sandstone trails. I'm thinking of the Schwalbe Hans Dampf with the harder pacestar compound. Sounds like a good tire but I do a lot of street riding as well. Any cons on this tire with my street riding?

Info: My average rides are 18-25 miles. Sometimes I only get 4 -5 miles of that off road. I average 5-9 miles of street to get to a trail. Monthly I ride to my hometown which is 45 miles round trip.

Also does anyone know which Kenda tire was re-branded to Giant for the stock Talon tire?
    I'm currently using Five Ten Freerides. They're nice and grippy.

My Talon came stock with 2.1" Kenda Small Block Eights.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    The tires that came stock on my 2012 Talon are Kenda small block 8's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hmm according to my 2014 catalog, the Talon 4 and 5 models came with something called Giant Sport 27.5x2.1 I'm told this is a Kenda tire... You guys have may have one of the other years or models but my Catalog shows Schwalbe Rapid Rob's being deployed.
    I brew the best beer around, don't believe me? Ship me a keg of your finest and I'll email a picture of me drinking it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer_Czar View Post
    Hmm according to my 2014 catalog, the Talon 4 and 5 models came with something called Giant Sport 27.5x2.1 I'm told this is a Kenda tire... You guys have may have one of the other years or models but my Catalog shows Schwalbe Rapid Rob's being deployed.
    Yeah, mine is a 2012, also.

With a Talon version number as low as 4 or 5, it makes sense that you likely wouldn't get name-brand tires (like Schwalbe). The catalog pic you have is probably just a mistake.

Our 2011's came with Maxxis CrossMark.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    My 2013 came with Rapid Rob's. I hated them, my very first mod was putting the Maxxis Icons on it and that made a quite a difference in grip. Not to mention a small but noticeable weight savings.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    2015 Raleigh Tamland
    2015 Motobecane Boris X7
    2015 Felt Edict

mtbr member
    May 2014
    my 2014 Talon 29er2 came with Rapid Rob Tires. Still new to the sport so i don't have a anything to compare to

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Lotsa cool bikes in this thread! I have been dormant in the MTB side of cycling.. Bought a road bike a bit ago and now the hunger for dirt and bloody limbs calls yet again!
    Was out at the LBS a few hours back and on a whim took a test ride on a Talon 27.5 5
    Great bike, so sure footed and just dialed feeling. I couldn't resist guys, plopped down a deposit. Shes mine next week Friday! The fork will be the first thing to go, but it'll be good to get going. Pretty excited and happy to feel part of what seems like a pretty strong fan club.
    Last edited by fattybikejones; 06-06-2014 at 03:00 PM.
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX

WI. Big Boy MTBer

My Talon 27.5 5

Talon owners .....-giant-talon-fresh-showroom.jpgNohing too fancy spec wise here, but still that awesome Giant frame!
    Heres a few pics I took today.. Just picked it up at my LBS this afternoon.
    1st pic is outside of South Shore Cyclery in Cudahy WI. The best Giant Dealer and all around shop in SE Wisco. IMHO> The Next shots are on an urban test run after the obligatory workstand deflectorization and lube.. Great bike for even how it sits!
    I am going to probably tak advantage of the SR Suntour fork swap program and throw a Raidon air fork on soon. Tomorrow rubber meets local dirt. More on that later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-talon-urbana-rear-view.jpg  

Talon owners .....-talon-urban-action.jpg  

Last edited by fattybikejones; 06-04-2014 at 08:14 PM. Reason: added text
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Ended up grabbing some wellgo magnesium MG-1s and a pair of 5.10 spitfires. Getting a shorter stem when I eventually take it in for the first service, hopefully this weekend

Just ordered a SLX brake set for my son's Talon, another OE thing that gets upgraded; the only OE remaining and no need to replace those yet are the frame, shifters, derailleurs and cassette.

mtbr member
    So I think the front brakes on my talon are just about done (Avid Elixir 1's). I recently bought a set of organics for the rear, but I assume I should go with semi metallics for the front? I ask because I assume the squealing will continue with the semi metallic pads, and want to know if anyone has had experience with organics in the front. I know they'll wear faster, but by how much? I'll admit, I'm a bit of a pansy when it comes to steep downhill with lots of obstacles, so I ride the fronts quite a bit. However, the squealing is absolutely killing my ears and is almost embarrassing it's so loud. TL;DR should I stick with semi metallic pads or go with organic ones in the front?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyg946 View Post
    So I think the front brakes on my talon are just about done (Avid Elixir 1's). I recently bought a set of organics for the rear, but I assume I should go with semi metallics for the front? I ask because I assume the squealing will continue with the semi metallic pads, and want to know if anyone has had experience with organics in the front. I know they'll wear faster, but by how much? I'll admit, I'm a bit of a pansy when it comes to steep downhill with lots of obstacles, so I ride the fronts quite a bit. However, the squealing is absolutely killing my ears and is almost embarrassing it's so loud. TL;DR should I stick with semi metallic pads or go with organic ones in the front?

I ran organics front and rear the whole time I had mine. Horrible squealing! I never tried metal sinter because I read/heard they're supposedly even worse. A new set of Shimano XT brakes cured my dilemma. Squealing totally gone now...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Filthy...

Talon owners .....-20140608_122954_resized.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rickyg946 View Post

I've had bad experiences with Avid brakes (Juicy and Elixir), specially the least expensive ones; they all seem suffer from squealing.

To solve the issues went to something else but almost always end up with Shimano.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hello,

33yo mountain bike noob but fast learner here. I just bought a Giant Talon 4 2014 and I can't say that it brought that much of a smile to my face so far (should have gone with that Voodoo Bizango I guess).

Straight away, I'm looking into upgrading my fork. I have been looking at the Rockshox Reba, Suntour Raidon etc but I need to make sure I have everything right before proceeding.

Is the Talon '14 1 1/8 or tapered? Would the frame be ok with a 120mm fork? I'm 6'4 and 100kgr so I'm expecting the fork to almost be like 110mm with me on the bike, is that correct?

Unfortunately, I can't find many forks out there with the specs I'm expecting the Talon to be (27.5, 100-120mm, 1 1/8).

Any guidance or recommendations welcome!!!

Many thanks,
    Michael

As far as I know the Talons are straight 1 1/8" and are designed for 100mm.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    That's what I was afraid of. Looks like there's no decent fork out there with these specifications.

• 27.5 wheel size
    • 1 1/8 steerer
    • 100mm

I wonder what other people have upgraded their Suntours with. At the moment, I'm struggling to find anything as all 27.5 appear to be tapered.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by h0rdakk View Post
    Hello,

33yo mountain bike noob but fast learner here. I just bought a Giant Talon 4 2014 and I can't say that it brought that much of a smile to my face so far (should have gone with that Voodoo Bizango I guess).

Straight away, I'm looking into upgrading my fork. I have been looking at the Rockshox Reba, Suntour Raidon etc but I need to make sure I have everything right before proceeding.

Is the Talon '14 1 1/8 or tapered? Would the frame be ok with a 120mm fork? I'm 6'4 and 100kgr so I'm expecting the fork to almost be like 110mm with me on the bike, is that correct?

Unfortunately, I can't find many forks out there with the specs I'm expecting the Talon to be (27.5, 100-120mm, 1 1/8).

Any guidance or recommendations welcome!!!

Many thanks,
    Michael
    Based on a quick web search, it looks like Reba might not be a viable option for you right now. You could check with a LBS and see if they could get what you want though. Next best thing is likely this (the straight steer, 100 mm, 9 mm QR version): Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox 30 Gold TK Solo Air 650b Fork 2014

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Based on a quick web search, it looks like Reba might not be a viable option for you right now. You could check with a LBS and see if they could get what you want though. Next best thing is likely this (the straight steer, 100 mm, 9 mm QR version): Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox 30 Gold TK Solo Air 650b Fork 2014
    The 30 Gold TK Solo was my first option until I realised that it may not be that much worth it to upgrade to this specific fork as it doesn't appear to be a major step up. Have you used it? is it much better than the default Suntour XCT?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The 30 Gold TK Solo was my first option until I realised that it may not be that much worth it to upgrade to this specific fork as it doesn't appear to be a major step up. Have you used it? is it much better than the default Suntour XCT?
    No, I haven't used the Gold. I have a Reba RL. You're smart though, to question whether the upgrade fee would be worth the upgrade given the bang-for-the-buck you'd get. I don't know how much better the Gold would be over the OEM fork on your bike.

You might have to go with a fancier Rock Shox model yet (even higher than Reba). The problem there is that I think the more fancier you get, likely the more difficult it will be to find a straight-steer specimen. Of course, straight-steer forks are designed for straight head tubes. And, straight head tubes are found on low-end bikes. So, your best fork selection will likely be lower end forks.

You might try looking into other fork brands, too, if you haven't already. There may be something else out there that could meet your need. I wouldn't hold much faith in it though. When I looked (and I still do look off and on), Rock Shox is about all there is to choose from, if you stay true to specs like straight-steer, 100 mm travel, and 9 mm QR drop outs. I seem to recall the latest stuff from Marzocchi only having tapered steers. And, stuff from Manitou seems very hard to find lately, too.

Other than that, I don't know what other options you'd have (except maybe looking into a Suntour upgrade).

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The Rockshox 30 Gold TK Solo and Raidon would both be upgrades, being lighter and having air shocks instead of coils. You could always try out a Talon 27.5 1 at your lbs for comparison

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    You might try looking into other fork brands, too, if you haven't already. There may be something else out there that could meet your need. I wouldn't hold much faith in it though. When I looked (and I still do look off and on), Rock Shox is about all there is to choose from, if you stay true to specs like straight-steer, 100 mm travel, and 9 mm QR drop outs. I seem to recall the latest stuff from Marzocchi only having tapered steers. And, stuff from Manitou seems very hard to find lately, too.

Other than that, I don't know what other options you'd have (except maybe looking into a Suntour upgrade).
    Another option is the Manitou Marvel Comp but I don't know much about it, haven't been able to find any reviews, only a number of comments but nothing really reliable.

Manitou Marvel Comp Forks - 9mmQR 2014 | Chain Reaction Cycles

I think this is on the top of my list at the moment but is still a gamble

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Another option is the Manitou Marvel Comp but I don't know much about it, haven't been able to find any reviews, only a number of comments but nothing really reliable.

Manitou Marvel Comp Forks - 9mmQR 2014 | Chain Reaction Cycles

I think this is on the top of my list at the moment but is still a gamble
    Yeah, I looked at the Manitou Marvel Pro earlier today, when we were discussing this topic. I'd like to try a Manitou some day. I can't find hardly anything in what I'd want right now though (i.e., straight-steer and 15 mm thru-axle). I found one closeout Fox model at UC that meets those specs, but that's it.

If you ask me, given our situation (Talon frame, needing straight-steer, 100 mm travel fork), our choices in the current fork world are pretty pathetic. Some Rebas, SIDs, and Marvels can be had right now, but NONE of them with straight-steer and thru-axle...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yeah, I looked at the Manitou Marvel Pro earlier today, when we were discussing this topic. I'd like to try a Manitou some day. I can't find hardly anything in what I'd want right now though (i.e., straight-steer and 15 mm thru-axle). I found one closeout Fox model at UC that meets those specs, but that's it.

If you ask me, given our situation (Talon frame, needing straight-steer, 100 mm travel fork), our choices in the current fork world are pretty pathetic. Some Rebas, SIDs, and Marvels can be had right now, but NONE of them with straight-steer and thru-axle...
    In other words, thank you Giant for selling us 27.5" frames with straight steerers which are absolutely useless for any decent upgrade

Keep in mind that this is a entry level bike, to my knowledge no manufacturer puts tapered head tubes on their entry level bikes.

Having said that, you can look into the Cane Creek adapter, that will let you run a tapered fork on your frame and will only slaken the geo 1 degree and raise the front a couple of MM's; that might be the way to go for you. Another option will be to replace your front wheel or hub to change the axle so you can match your selected fork.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Keep in mind that this is a entry level bike, to my knowledge no manufacturer puts tapered head tubes on their entry level bikes.
    Yep... That's basically what it boils down to...

Entry-level bikes (with straight head tubes) = not a great chance of upgrading major components = fork manufacturers not sinking a ton of money into their fork offerings in that regard (because the demand isn't high enough).

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yep... That's basically what it boils down to...

Entry-level bikes (with straight head tubes) = not a great chance of upgrading major components = fork manufacturers not sinking a ton of money into their fork offerings in that regard (because the demand isn't high enough).
    I see the point, yes, but this problem exists mainly on the 27.5" frames. There are still awesome options for 26" and 29". I guess it was my mistake that I couldn't predict this, didn't make much of a research. Just said "let's go for a decent entry level bike and I'll upgrade the fork".

bummer

Maybe the fork manufacturers are catching up to the 27.5 thing, the same happened when the 29ers came out and it was really difficult to find aftermarket parts.

Have you checked the Suntour loyalty program?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Maybe the fork manufacturers are catching up to the 27.5 thing, the same happened when the 29ers came out and it was really difficult to find aftermarket parts.

Have you checked the Suntour loyalty program?
    This is a very good point!

I have checked it but I can't afford to stay without a fork until the upgrade arrives. I guess I'll have to wait a little longer. I have also spoken with my LBS who will have a chat with the Rockshox dealership in order to see what options exist.

I will update you as soon as I have more news on this, I guess it may be of help to other Talon riders.

Many thanks for the help!

What axle you have? Just curious.

X Fusion Velvet comes straight and tapered and can be used on 26 and 27.5 with adapter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    What axle you have? Just curious.

X Fusion Velvet comes straight and tapered and can be used on 26 and 27.5 with adapter.
    Hmm... no idea! How do I find out? Is it the diameter I am to measure?

X Fusion Shox - Velvet Series

Carefully review the specs

You can always contact them and ask, X Fusion Shox - Contact

From what I can get from the Giant page by looking at the pics and fork models your bike should be QR9 (9mm).

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    X Fusion Shox - Velvet Series

In that case, the

Carefully review the specs

You can always contact them and ask, X Fusion Shox - Contact

From what I can get from the Giant page by looking at the pics and fork models your bike should be QR9 (9mm).
    In that case, the 30 Gold TK is still an option?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00DFJFSKK

Yes if you can validate the axle type, can you post a pic of the axle? Don't like to make blind recommendations.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    He's got a Talon 27.5 4 which has a Suntour XCT that has a 9mm QR axle (same as my Talon 27.5 5)

Quote Originally Posted by mavvy911 View Post
    He's got a Talon 27.5 4 which has a Suntour XCT that has a 9mm QR axle (same as my Talon 27.5 5)
    If that's the case the TK Gold should be just fine.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    In that case, the 30 Gold TK is still an option?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00DFJFSKK
    Yeah... You almost certainly have 27.5er, 1.125" straight steer, 100 mm travel, and 9 mm QR drop outs. Verify all of that before you initiate anything though.

With that said, the 30 Gold TK would definitely be an option for you. When you got me looking again yesterday, I found Reba, SID, and Manitou Marvel available, but for 29er instead (my Talon is a 29er). I just couldn't find hardly anything with straight steer and thru-axle though.

Before you commit, see if you can find that Manitou Marvel in 27.5er, and all of the other specs you need. The one I looked at yesterday is at Chain Reaction Cycles.

imo a 44mm HT is a nice head tube with an easy conversion you can make to accept either straight or tapered. my canfield nimble 9 gen 2 also uses a 44mm and that's not entry level. like DD said you will gain a degree with the 10mm rise, but i found that i prefer my ht angle 2* less than factory. be aware on a new bike though that may void the frame warranty. i ride mine (29er) with a 500mm axle to crown rigid fork and 120mm suss fork and HA doesn't change more than a fraction of a degree. so what i'm saying is, you could go up to a 120 fork.

look deeply into manitou, they have steller customer service and good bang for the buck shocks/forks. i've been riding a tower pro somewhat out of its limits for 2 yrs now and it is still going strong, you just have to keep up on maintenance. their CS has always got back with me no later than the next day by either phone or email.

edit: i just looked at manitou and there really isn't good selection. you might have to wait it out to see more options, welcome to the ever changing bike world

mtbr member
    If I am to put a tapered steerer into the talon headtube...what kind of lower cup should I use?...the lower headtube with is 44mm isn't it?

I have a 2012 talon 29er by the way

Sent from my GT-B5330 using Tapatalk

Cane Creek and Chris King make the cup, believe that the Cane Creek is the XX44 but please double check.

Members who have read this thread: 135