Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by heypal99 View Post
    I was thinking of doing it one spoke at a time just so not to get overwhelmed. The nipples are pretty cheap. A bag 100 of orange was $15.00 on Ebay. Yes, colored spokes would really ad some flair, but then things may get a little more expensive.
    If you decide you don't want to fool around with the nipple thing, you can always get a little bling like this for only around ten bucks and about 30 seconds of your time for install. :-)

Talon owners .....-img_20130517_233443_081.jpg

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    You can get some bling for other parts like seat clamp, pedals, colored pulleys, ring bolts, colored grips, etc.

In my case the nipples are chromed and match nicely with the cranks and pedals.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I just picked up a 2013 Talon 29er 1 last weekend. I had my choices narrowed down to the Talon and a Specialized Rockhopper 29er, and I am happy with my decision.
    I haven't done much off-road riding for a few years, but I can't wait to get on my new bike every day now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-img_1625%5B1%5D.jpg  

Like the colors, now go and get it dirty.

mtbr member

Who took my gears?
    I guess that makes it official that Giant will be offering 27.5 bikes in 2014! Pretty descent specs on that bad boy at that price.

Amazed on how quickly the 26" wheel is being dropped.

Who took my gears?
    I don't think 26ers are going anywhere in the DH, AM range of bikes, but XC seems like 26 does not stand much of chance now that 27.5 is here. I know I would not have any interest in a 26 inch bike and I am a small guy.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    I don't think 26ers are going anywhere in the DH, AM range of bikes, but XC seems like 26 does not stand much of chance now that 27.5 is here. I know I would not have any interest in a 26 inch bike and I am a small guy.
    Yeah, 26" will still be around for entry level, DH and some full sussers, the AM world is being rocked by 650b and most higher end hardtails and low travel full sussers are 29ers. Plenty of choices out there if you're in the market.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I hope 29er sticks around on hard tails

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Talon owners .....

I'm not going to have any problems fitting a nobby nic 2.35 on my Talon am I? Not sure if there's a clearance issue there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    YO... I recently got a Talon 29er2, which is the 2012 model. I want to put larger tire on my front wheel... i put this post up in another section and then saw this post.

I am looking to put a Maxxis Ardent 29x2.4 EXO on my front wheel... but im not sure if they will fit on my fork, which is the SR XCT 29", 100mm Travel. Does any one have any experience with this setup?

Quote Originally Posted by jfishking View Post
    YO... I recently got a Talon 29er2, which is the 2012 model. I want to put larger tire on my front wheel... i put this post up in another section and then saw this post.

I am looking to put a Maxxis Ardent 29x2.4 EXO on my front wheel... but im not sure if they will fit on my fork, which is the SR XCT 29", 100mm Travel. Does any one have any experience with this setup?
    Read the fork manual, there you'll find the max wheel width approved by the manufacturer among other things; having said that I believe it should fit but with little side clearance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Read the fork manual, there you'll find the max wheel width approved by the manufacturer among other things; having said that I believe it should fit but with little side clearance.
    I wish i had a manual, lol

I didnt get manual with the bike, and couldnt fint anything on their site for specs... reached out, just heard back from them and they said :

"The max tyre width recommendation for the XCT is 2.2. This measurement will vary considerably depending on rim specification along with the actual tyre manufacture however. 10mm is the recommendation for clearance from the tyre to the lower portion of the fork crown."

I hit him back with the specific tire, which is the ardent 2.4 that im looking at but havent heard anything back from him and couldnt find anything anywhere else on the web about it working with this exact fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by whooda View Post
    Left chunky monkey 2.4 with the dual compound vs right 2.4 ardent exo

ardent/2.2 ikon exo/chunky monkey
    you can see the dual compound well in this pic.

Finally you can see the side wall in this pic, its the ardent 2.4 casing so its the same size.

It grips quite well. I have only ridden on it a couple times but I like it just as much as the ardent if not more. I dont think it will last as long since I got the dual compound version but at half the price im more than happy with that. Weight is comprable to the ardent (give or take 10g).
    I see the chunky monkey comes in 29 x2.4. Is that the stock rim for a talon 1? And did it fit nicely

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yes, those are the factory rims and they fit fine. Its the same casing as the ardent 2.4 so the width and size is about the same.

For a heavy, grip everything tire they are great. They roll like the ardent with better grip in turns. They weight about the same too

Quote Originally Posted by jfishking View Post
    I wish i had a manual, lol
    Check in here, doubt they will go into tire specific questions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Hola fellow Talon owners, I had a quick question to anyone that's changed out their stems. I replaced the stock stem on my 2013 Talon 1 from a 90mm,15 degree rise to 110mm, 6 degree rise. I just feel my front wheel is twitchy on my climbs and feel wanted to shift my weight a bit more forward.

My question: Should I swap out the handlebar as well? Do I need a longer bar? A flatter bar? I know a shorter stem is better for control on descents, so I'd like to compensate for the longer stem.

Thanks for any advice.

Rich

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Richgsr View Post
    Hola fellow Talon owners, I had a quick question to anyone that's changed out their stems. I replaced the stock stem on my 2013 Talon 1 from a 90mm,15 degree rise to 110mm, 6 degree rise. I just feel my front wheel is twitchy on my climbs and feel wanted to shift my weight a bit more forward.

My question: Should I swap out the handlebar as well? Do I need a longer bar? A flatter bar? I know a shorter stem is better for control on descents, so I'd like to compensate for the longer stem.

Thanks for any advice.

Rich
    I just did mine yesterday. My original set-up was a Giant 670 mm riser bar with 9/5 and 25 mm rise, and Giant stem was 90 mm x 15 degree. I put on a new Easton Haven 711 mm riser bar with 9/5 and 20 mm rise, and a Bontrager stem at 75 mm x 17 degree. I test rode it after I was done, and like it a lot. The wider bar with the 90 mm stem felt a little too stretched out to me. So, basically the rule of wider bar = shorter reach stem held true for me. In your case, I guess you'd need to experiment and see what you like, with perhaps maybe needing a little bit narrower bar now.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    I'm not going to have any problems fitting a nobby nic 2.35 on my Talon am I? Not sure if there's a clearance issue there.
    I hope not because I have a brand new one now, just waiting to go on my Talon! LOL...

I recently bought a Nic 2.35 for the front, and a Ralph 2.25 for the rear. I haven't put em' on yet though. I'm going to wear out my Contis a little more first. My Contis are both 2.20, and there's no problem with them, fit-wise. I have a Reba fork, and I can tell by looking at the Conti 2.20 on it now that I shouldn't have any clearance issues running the Nic 2.35 up front. Everything I've read about the Nic states that it runs narrow anyway. The Ralph 2.25 won't be a problem on the rear, either. I don't know about a Nic 2.35 on the rear; I've never tried it, and don't plan to, either.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I confirmed yesterday that my rear brake squealing issue is the result of frame resonance in the left seat stay. I've bought some new Alligator Wind-Cutter rotors and some Kool Stop organic pads, so they will be my first go at resolving the issue. If that doesn't work, then some guys on MTBR forums recommended trying a different mount adapter (specifically Formula-brand), so I'll likely give that a go. I'm thinking I'll need to dampen that stay somehow though, in order to completely solve it. We'll see... I already have some ideas in mind, if/when I may need to take it that far.

Quote Originally Posted by Richgsr View Post

Thanks for any advice.

Rich
    So trying to put more weight forward you went with a longer less rise stem and kept the OE riser bar? How did the ride with that setup felt? Did you felt fine or stretched? When you're on the bike and lean forward do you see the front of the hub, the rear or can't see it? If you see the front the stem is too short, if you see the rear the stem is too long and if you can't see it is just right, that's old school but works.

Also, did you set up your KOPS? If not give it a try to see if you need to adjust your saddle location, that can also affect to some extent the handling.

Riser bar vs flar bar, long bar vs short bar is a matter of riding posture, style and ultimately comfort; the kind of bar won't change the handling characteristics to much. A long bar will slow down the steering, a short bar will make it quicker, you need to determine what works for you. If you like a more leaned forward position use a flat bar, if you like a more upright position go with a riser or if in between a low rise bar. You can also use the stem on negative rise to see how it goes.

Maybe the twitch that you talk about is due to riding posture, there's a lot going on with little details on your setup and physique.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I just purchased a 2013 talon 0, will the chunky monkeys 29x2.4 fit on the front and rear wheels?

cowbell
    Guess who rode a 2014 27.5 Talon yesterday? This guy. Honest opinion? I like the 29er better. But I'm a big guy. Anyone else? Opinions?

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Where'd you score that test ride?

cowbell
    Riverside bikes in Clarksville tn.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Any review/pics?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    Any review/pics?
    +1

mtbr member
    New Talon 27.5 rides very well. Much better than the 29er in my opinion. I was thoroughly impressed with the 27.5! Accelerates quickly, carves turns fast and has excellent traction for a bike that is nimble like a 26" bike, but rolls better than a 26" bike. Have your lbs get some in if they haven't already!

cowbell
    Didn't think to take any pictures. And can't now. They sold it yesterday. I suspect there will be more on the way.

mtbr member
    May 2013

New Paddles...

Bought me some new paddles (what my SO likes to call em', cuz they're so big), and put em' on today. DMR Vaults... They look nice. I haven't ridden them, yet, but I'll likely give em' a go tomorrow after work. I just couldn't resist the shiny red platforms, and blue pins. :-)

Talon owners .....-img_20130609_160722_444.jpg

Talon owners .....-img_20130609_161938_261.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have the same exact bike with the red 50/50 pedals, i love those, except they hurt like hell when you slip..

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WooitsPhillip View Post
    I have the same exact bike with the red 50/50 pedals, i love those, except they hurt like hell when you slip..
    The red Crank Bros 50/50 3 pedals is what I just switched from. I liked them a lot, too. Only reason why I switched is for the look of the DMR's. Now that I have the DMR's though, I do prefer their more "skeletonized" platform design. I still have the 50/50's. I'll probably run them on ebay pretty soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WooitsPhillip View Post
    Bloody shins quickly shifted me to plastic pedals. Odyssey BMX Pedal Twisted PC are nice and can take a beating and not break. The nubs do wear down with time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Have you considered going tubeless? I think that'll be my next project

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dealwagon View Post
    Bloody shins quickly shifted me to plastic pedals. Odyssey BMX Pedal Twisted PC are nice and can take a beating and not break. The nubs do wear down with time.
    Yeah, I think after I build a DH bike, I'll prob get clip ons on Talon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by johntrek5 View Post
    My 2012 Talon 0. With my new Schwalbe Hans Dampf's with the Stans No Tubes Tubless conversion kit.
    How are those tubeless tires running for you? Any issues? I am thinking about going tubeless.

mtbr member
    Hello all.

Just picked up a 2012 Talon 1 (new). I've been lurking the site for a while and felt it is a good starter 29er for the money. I hear the forks are horrible..
    Is this something I will even notice as a beginner or need to care about? It's my first "real" bike.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ynnek View Post
    I hear the forks are horrible..
    Is this something I will even notice as a beginner or need to care about?
    Congrats on the new bike! Huge difference between the fork that came on my bike (RS XC 28) and the new RS Reba RL Solo Air that went on the bike earlier this year. So, if/when you get the extra dough to do it, then by all means get a better fork of some sort.

squish, squish in da fish
    suntour might still be doing their trade in program, worth a check. think you can get a raidon for $150-$175. also look for a good used one, i found a lightly used tower pro for $200.

cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by ynnek View Post
    Hello all.

Just picked up a 2012 Talon 1 (new). I've been lurking the site for a while and felt it is a good starter 29er for the money. I hear the forks are horrible..
    Is this something I will even notice as a beginner or need to care about? It's my first "real" bike.

Thanks!
    How much you notice how horrible the fork is depends on several things. How much you weigh, how you ride, what sort of terrain you ride. I rode with a guy who rode all smooth trails and was pretty much a beginner, he had no problem with his suntour fork at 170lbs. Until he rode Rotary with me. Or as we affectionately call it "Rootery". Then he discovered he wasn't a fan of the fork anymore. So, yeah, lots of variables there, but my advice is look into the suntour upgrade program.

The OEM fork will be fine on smooth trails, when things get rougher that's when you realize how crappy the fork really is.

mtbr member
    I won't be riding anything crazy for a while, I'm sure. That upgrade deal sounds pretty sweet. The input is much appreciated!

Thanks again, all.

mtbr member
    yeah, 27.5 is awesome!
    I was seriously considering a 29er for the past year but glad i waited for 27.5!
    AMAZING!

Who took my gears?
    I know in the past others have asked about upgrading the crankset on the Talon (I upgraded to 2x10 SLX and shaved nearly a POUND off the bike)...

Great deal out there: https://www.blueskycycling.com/produ...t_10_Speed.htm

Shimano SLX M675 2X10 Crankset w/ Bottom Bracket 10 Speed -- $99.98

Had to pass this one along...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    I know in the past others have asked about upgrading the crankset on the Talon (I upgraded to 2x10 SLX and shaved nearly a POUND off the bike)...

Great deal out there: https://www.blueskycycling.com/produ...t_10_Speed.htm

Shimano SLX M675 2X10 Crankset w/ Bottom Bracket 10 Speed -- $99.98

Had to pass this one along...
    Thanks for the info! I've been thinking about doing mine eventually. I've also thought about maybe converting it to an SS some day, too. I dunno though... Have to wait-n-see.

Just bought a new, complete Shimano XT brake set, which I'll likely install sometime over the long, holiday weekend. However, I might wait though, because I have a huge itch for a new wheel set now as well, which might need to get scratched before I put on the new brakes. :-)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I don't have a Talon, but a guy is looking to buy my Recon Gold to put on his 2013 Talon 1 and he isn't too savvy about whether he's got a straight or tapered headtube or 15mm or QR. I looked thru the threads and found references to the 2011's and 2012's, but I wan't to be sure I had the right info for the 2013's. It appears to me it's a straight headtube and 15mm thru axle? A little help? thanks guys.

Ah, correction: He sent me a pic with the wheel off and it's 9mm QR on the front. Just want to make sure the headtube didn't get changed to tapered for 2013

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by n74740 View Post
    I don't have a Talon, but a guy is looking to buy my Recon Gold to put on his 2013 Talon 1 and he isn't too savvy about whether he's got a straight or tapered headtube or 15mm or QR. I looked thru the threads and found references to the 2011's and 2012's, but I wan't to be sure I had the right info for the 2013's. It appears to me it's a straight headtube and 15mm thru axle? A little help? thanks guys.

Ah, correction: He sent me a pic with the wheel off and it's 9mm QR on the front. Just want to make sure the headtube didn't get changed to tapered for 2013
    Should be straight steer tube and 9mm QR dropouts.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks dshoe

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Talon owners .....

Hello,

I have a Talon 0 in large. I'm 6'2'' with 34 1/2'' legs.

Some talon owner here with approx same mesure? I'm trying to find the best seat level / stem combinaison.

Talon owners .....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1373074937.414764.jpg