Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    I am looking at getting a 2011 Talon 1 29er for $600 she is in perfect shape and had just been serviced at the dealer. What do you all think. I am just leery about the shock

Ed

mtbr member
    You are at the WRONG place for an unbiased opinion. With that said, $600 is a fair price.

Just know that you WILL want to replace that fork unless you ride on pavement and very smooth trails. The 2011 Talon has a QR15 hub which is harder to find than 9mm, and thus leads to more expensive options. Expect to pay around $400 for a decent fork upgrade.

Note that you can get a lesser brand bike with better components for the $1000 that you would pay for the Talon plus a fork upgrade (e.g. Sette 29er with X7, Avid Elixir 1, Rockshox Recon Silver fork. 3x10 is $999 right now).

I chose Giant because I've never had an issue with the quality of their frames.

squish, squish in da fish
    CJ, a 20mm axle will need a 110mm hub. just get a convertible hub and you could fit a 9mm, 15mm, or a 20mm on any wheel/fork combo. hope and azonic are two hubs that come to mind

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    They switched to 9mm on the 2012 correct?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by iamadam1122 View Post
    They switched to 9mm on the 2012 correct?
    Yes, that what's on my Talon 0.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sorry for still being a noob, reading all these posts and just wanted to clarify that the 2011 Talon 1 has a 15mm QR and my 2012 Talon 1 has a 9mm? If that is the case can anyone recommend a good fork from bluesky? My budget is around $375ish. I just want to be able to buy a fork and get it installed without buying anything else. Thanks for all the help!

Bike Forks: Rock Shox, Manitou Fork, Marzocchi Forks, Fox Forks
    Rides:

'13 Trek Mamba 29er
    '12 Giant Talon 29er 1 (stolen!)

Go Speed Racer
    Here is an option... Little more than your budget, but great fork... Amazon.com: RockShox Reba RL - Dual Air 100mm 29-Inch 9mm (White): Sports & Outdoors

Edit: Just noticed it is cheaper at blue sky....

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks Dennis! This the same fork just the 2011 version I assume?

BlueSkyCycling.com - 2011 Rock Shox Reba RLT Dual Air Fork 29er OE

Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    Here is an option... Little more than your budget, but great fork... Amazon.com: RockShox Reba RL - Dual Air 100mm 29-Inch 9mm (White): Sports & Outdoors

Edit: Just noticed it is cheaper at blue sky....
    Rides:

'13 Trek Mamba 29er

mtbr member
    That's the OE version of the same fork, same features different color.

After some tweaking the fork is a nice one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Nice ride Dirt Devil!
    Rides:

'13 Trek Mamba 29er

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Well I got my new fork in today (Tower Pro) and am crazy anxious to get it installed, however I am still in need of a 20mm front axle. I called my LBS and they said to have the wheel rebuilt onto a new axle with new spokes would cost $100. Thats not inlcuding the hub itself which would be about another $70 as I was considering the Azonic that was posted earlier in a link. So, now instead of spending $170 on just a new axle, I'm considering just splurging and getting a new wheelset...

I've been looking at wheels and would like to keep it under $350 for the set (with hubs, spokes, ect). I know I need a 20x110 front hub, but now I'm wondering what the Talons (2012) rear hub is? If I was to guess, I'd say it's a 9x135 QR but I can't find anything to confirm that as it doesn't say anything on Giant's website.

Does anyone know what size the rear axle is? And has anyone upgraded their wheels? If so, what did you go with?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Your guess is correct, 9x135.

The quality or weight will drive the price up, Mavic or Stan's aren't cheap but if you search hard and good enough you may find a good set at a great price; have you considered just a new front wheel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I haven't really considered just a new front. I suppose that is an option though...

I have my eye on these right now: SunRingle Black Flag Expert 29 - Demo - Hammerheadbikes.com. Any opinions?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cj_desmit View Post
    I haven't really considered just a new front. I suppose that is an option though...

I have my eye on these right now: SunRingle Black Flag Expert 29 - Demo - Hammerheadbikes.com. Any opinions?
    Not enough info there to sell them to me, there's one review here and the guy swears by them. Previous experience with SunRingle was good and the price is good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Yeah, I've heard a lot of good things about SunRingle rims. I just wish they were the Chargers over the Black Flags as I'd really like an AM wheelset. The BF's are geared towards XC/Trail riding I believe...

Big wheels small brain
    Here is a really cheap option on a decent wheelset: WTB Frequency i19 TCS XT Wheelset - 20mm Thru - Hammerheadbikes.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I saw those as well... Any experience with them?

Big wheels small brain
    I haven't, but they seem like a nice alternative to the the stockers. And that price is very cheap.

Here is a link to someone who built up a wheelset with the rims: WTB Frequency i19 29 wheel build review

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the link. The only thing keeping me from picking those wheels up is the 19mm inner rim width. I'd really like a wider wheel, especially for the front. I wish they had a killer deal like that on the i23's...

Big wheels small brain

Big wheels small brain
    I'd shell out the extra coin and get these:

Stan's NoTubes ZTR Arch EX 29er Wheelset from Bike Bling

Light, strong, wide, reliable, fair price.

Big wheels small brain
    Woops, the standard Arch EX hub won't convert to 20mm. The Flow EX hub will.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Definitely Flow Ex. I wanted to get the set badly but i could only afford it. I just got a new front wheel to make my new fork work. But those wheels are definitely on my wish list. I was able to score a PCX-2 15MM through a LBS and made my 120mm Tower Pro work. I wanted a thru axle to provide more stiffness and i got exactly that. My Tower Pro is such an upgrade compared to the suntour it originally came with. I'm actually still sporting the original pedals lol. I have some decent flats coming in the mail tomorrow though. Now time to score some 5'10s.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I came across a set of SunRingle Chargers for a decent price, but am not sure they'll work... Here's a link to the description: Sun Ringle 29" AM Charger Comp 9/15/20 Black | eBay

Or... possibly these? Sun Ringle 29" XC Black Flag CompWheelset 9/15/20 Black @ eBikeStop.com

The thing that's making me think they wont work is it says 10x1 for the rear axle type...?
    Last edited by cj_desmit; 10-09-2012 at 09:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My 2012 Talon 0. With my new Schwalbe Hans Dampf's with the Stans No Tubes Tubless conversion kit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-talon.jpg  

Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast