Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    squish, squish in da fish
    Quote Originally Posted by heypal99 View Post
    Fish, How did the change effect the handling of the bike?
    real responsive. the closer to the steerer the bars get the more responsive and the longer the bar the more leverage so its easier to lay it down in corners. im a AM rider stuck in XC country, lol. the short stem will make you sit in a taller riding position so you might have to slide your seat back and/or get an offset post to accomodate. i just ordered a frame and went up a size to accomodate that style. i couldnt just run an offset tube due to the frame having short chain stays at 16.25". so im starting to ramble hoped that helped.
    Last edited by fishwrinkle; 04-26-2013 at 03:14 AM.

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Shorter stem = quicker steering, more responsive front end

Longer bar = more leverage and feels like the steering slows down a bit

Is all rider style/preference, I run a wide riser bar with a not so short stem to achieve the riding position that I like keeping in check things like stem length, saddle position and KOPS.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Woot tomorrow ill post pics of my brand new 2012 and 2013 talon 0's My girl got spd clipless and i have mallet dh/race pedals in the mail. I have a crank brother Kronolog and we have ordered 4 specialized purgatory 's and butcher to test on the front from the lbs. Woot I wont sleep for a second to night ill be up all night reading mtb

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Still learning...

Here to research info on the 2013 Giant Talon 29er 0 w. Any glaring negatives (other than the fork) that can't be fixed? What do you love about this bike? Is it a bike that I can grow into as I get better?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitch89 View Post
    Got my 2013 Talon 0 a few days ago and I love it. I'm just getting back into riding after several years of minimal mountain biking and wanted to replace my 26er with a 29er. I was a little worried about the fork (XC 30) as my 26er has a fairly decent Manitou Skareb, but after a few rides I've been pleasantly surprised. It weighs more obviously, but the rebound/preload are easily adjustable and the remote lockout is a nice touch being on an entry level ride.

I was most surprised how this thing climbs. It's the first 29er I've ridden and it seems if you pace yourself correctly it shoots straight up most climbs. Overall I'm very happy with my choice.

One other thing I've seen is that people don't like the look of the 2013 Giants. This is a personal thing obviously but I love the colour scheme and pictures online don't do them justice. They've actually got a nice matte finish and the colour scheme all flows from the Giant logo painted on the head tube. It's too early to be sure, but the matte finish makes it seem like the paint will be more durable as well.

Let me know if you've got any questions about the '13 model and I'll try to answer them. It's awesome that Giant improved the specs while also lowering the price (for us Canadians anyways)
    Let me try this again.........

I have lots of questions! I'm a total newbie and I'm trying to figure out what bike I want to get. I'm leaning toward the woman's version of this bike. Do you still think it's pretty great? Any glaring (unfixable) negatives?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My girl friend just got a talon too she got a mens bike because she thought it fit better.

Feeling' the burn
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rachelindenver View Post
    Still learning...

Here to research info on the 2013 Giant Talon 29er 0 w. Any glaring negatives (other than the fork) that can't be fixed? What do you love about this bike? Is it a bike that I can grow into as I get better?

Thanks in advance!
    I have the 2012 talon 0 and yes, the fork (Rock Shox XC28) needed replacing especially because I weigh 225 before equipment. The only negatives I could point out to you are things that are dependent on my my needs based on the terrain I ride. The first thing I changed were the Kenda Small block 8s. They are fast and stable on hard pack but when it gets the tiniest bit wet or loose they turn into skis that feel like they were pointed the wrong way.
    Looking at the specs for the 2013 model, the Schwalbe tires are similar to the Kenda's on that they are meant to be run fast on hard pack. The fork is the RS XC30 which, depending on your size & weight might just be alright for you.
    The best advice I can give you would be to go to your LBS & test drive three or four bikes. If the shop is good they'll let you give them a good ride and maybe swap out the tires for free if that is a concern for you. That is how I fell in love with the Talon.
    Hope this helped

Quote Originally Posted by rachelindenver View Post
    Still learning...

Thanks in advance!

Rachelin, is a great bike and will last; it can take a pounding week after week and still take some more. The worse component is the fork as addressed in this thread and that's an easy fix, can be made lighter with more expensive/nicer components if you wanted to.

Feeling' the burn
    Apr 2013

Derailleur Hangers

Quote Originally Posted by jasonf150 View Post
    Does this go for all Talon models and years?
    According to the link that Dirt Devil shared DerailleurHanger.com it is compatible with all Talons

Quote Originally Posted by MossMan13 View Post
    According to the link that Dirt Devil shared DerailleurHanger.com it is compatible with all Talons
    And most current Giant models.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Talon owners .....

Try your lbs for derailleur hangers too... I got my replacement there for $12 instead of the $22 one as linked.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

2013 Giant Talon 0

My 2013 Giant Talon
    With Crank Brother's Kronolog First week been Great
    Next Upgrade crank brother's Mallet DH/Race and specialized Front Purgatory back Butcher

wyrd pm me if you would like a set of mallet 1's for cheap

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

I'm looking to go guerilla tubeless and want to upgrade my tires from the stock smb8's in 2.1 to something beefier... How wide can i go on my Talon 2?

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Oh, and can I go tubeless on the stock rims? Or am I wasting my time?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Iv read you can go tubless Im going to run a 2.3 specialized on the back and front

gelati ive run 2.35 bonty 29-4 that spec out to an actual 2.4 and still have a lil room. its on a p35 rim too

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Giant Talon 1 - 2012
    So, I managed to pop off 1 of the links in the chain (well 1 side of it).

Question. Can I just shorten the chain by 1 link, or will that make it too tight? I did this already, and it seems to go into the tallest gears still (of which I never use). I just don't want to put too much tension and hurt something. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    just go to your lbs and pick up something like this Amazon.com: KMC MISSING LINK Bicycle Chain Link (9-Speed, 6-Pack): Sports & Outdoors May not be the right one buy its easy to find them for 9
    speed chains

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    So, my chain is 8 speed and that pack of replacements is $10. I can get a sram chain (complete) that will have extra links for like $10-15.

Anyone recommend a specific replacement chain?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dealwagon View Post
    So, my chain is 8 speed and that pack of replacements is $10. I can get a sram chain (complete) that will have extra links for like $10-15.
    Some one told me that you could get a sram complete chain that will have extra links for like $10-15. Lol sry dude no clue

i know my stock chain was 2 links to long. take chain out of the RD and wrap big cog and big ring to where chain is tight then add 2 links. thats proper length, if you can't then you need links.

You could run it with one less link for a while, it will only strech the chain a bit more but you should either add the missing link or replace the chain when you can.

try the proper sizing method before buying a chain, most all chains are long by a few links. i'm on my 4th chain with 2 different drivetrains and i always had to shorten. my 2012 T1 just like yours was 2 links to long off the showroom floor. 8 spd or now 10 they were too long. the big cog, big ring is your worst gear selection possible. you shouldnt run this gearing due to wicked cross chaining, but if you do your chain will be long enough to handle your misjudgment. DD how do you figure his chain will stretch more with one less link when it is still one link too long?

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    DD how do you figure his chain will stretch more with one less link when it is still one link too long?
    If its too long nothing happens other that chain slap, didn't catched that. If the chain was the proper length then by removing a link it will increase the tension wearing put the pulleys and the chain faster.

Big ring, big cog plus 2 links is the proper way to size it, check the installation page that comes with a new chain.

Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 05-06-2013 at 10:25 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Hello!

Hi all! I'm new to the MTBR forums. I saw this particular thread awhile back, and it was very useful to me. As a matter of fact, all of MTBR.com is very useful when speaking in terms of mountain biking. So, I decided to become a full-fledged member of the community. Here's my Talon...

Talon owners .....-img_20130421_131035_881.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dshoe70 View Post
    Hi all! I'm new to the MTBR forums. I saw this particular thread awhile back, and it was very useful to me. As a matter of fact, all of MTBR.com is very useful when speaking in terms of mountain biking. So, I decided to become a full-fledged member of the community.
    Welcome to MTBR and to the Giant sub forum, feel free to ask about anything regarding your Talon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    sweet ride my girl friend just got the same bike!

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    gelati ive run 2.35 bonty 29-4 that spec out to an actual 2.4 and still have a lil room. its on a p35 rim too
    Any one have a tubeless walk through for the stock Talon 2 rims?

Believe that Dennis posted a while back a couple of links, go ghetto or buy the rim strips.

Who took my gears?
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Believe that Dennis posted a while back a couple of links, go ghetto or buy the rim strips.
    Yep, post #353 in this thread.

I did the semi-Ghetto conversion. Got the stans valve stems instead of using a cut old tube. I just removed my existing rim tape, tightly wrapped 1 inch Gorrila tape around the rim in place of where the old rim strip was, put in the valve stems, added stans to the tube, and inflated using an air compressor (this can be a little tricky untll you get used to it, but it will work, and you will get the hang of it - this was the hardest part for me).

BEST upgrade I have done to my Talon (well probably tied with the fork upgrade).

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Welcome to MTBR and to the Giant sub forum, feel free to ask about anything regarding your Talon.
    Hey there... Thanks! I don't remember if any of you guys or gals have switched to wider bars on your talons. Has anyone on here made that specific upgrade, yet? The stock Giant bar on my bike is 670 mm. I just picked up an Easton Haven bar for a really good price about a week ago, but haven't installed it, yet. It's stock width is 711 mm, which I think I'm going to like a lot. Everything I've read on the web so far suggests that I'll probably need a shorter stem, in order to compensate for the extra 41 mm in width. My current stem is a 90 mm/15 degree. What do ya'll think? You think I'll really need to switch stems? If so, what's your opinion on a different one? 70mm, 75 mm, 80 mm, etc.? I should probably stick with a stem angle similar to what I'm running now, too.

Hey there... Thanks! I don't remember if any of you guys or gals have switched to wider bars on your talons. Has anyone on here made that specific upgrade, yet? The stock Giant bar on my bike is 670 mm. I just picked up an Easton Haven bar for a really good price about a week ago, but haven't installed it, yet. It's stock width is 711 mm, which I think I'm going to like a lot. Everything I've read on the web so far suggests that I'll probably need a shorter stem, in order to compensate for the extra 41 mm in width. My current stem is a 90 mm/15 degree. What do ya'll think? You think I'll really need to switch stems? If so, what's your opinion on a different one? 70mm, 75 mm, 80 mm, etc.? I should probably stick with a stem angle similar to what I'm running now, too.
    I run a 711 riser handlebar with a 90x10 stem, try it with the stem you have and see how you like it. Cockpit settings are very personal, what works for me doesn't necessarily will work for you, borrow stems from friends and try them too, eventually you'll find what works better for you.

I found the OE stem and bar combo too tall, 15 deg rise on the stem plus a riser narrow bar was too much for me. My kid went to a 90x7 stem and a flat bar but can't remember the lenght.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I run a 711 riser handlebar with a 90x10 stem
    Thanks for the info, DiRt DeViL. What make and model is your 90/10 stem? From all of the looking I've done so far, I've only been able to find stems with 8 degrees or less rise, or stems with around 15 and 17 degrees rise (or even more). I haven't seen anything in the "middle of the road between 8 and 15ish degrees (e.g., 10 - 12ish degrees), yet."

Thanks for the info, DiRt DeViL. What make and model is your 90/10 stem? From all of the looking I've done so far, I've only been able to find stems with 8 degrees or less rise, or stems with around 15 and 17 degrees rise (or even more). I haven't seen anything in the "middle of the road between 8 and 15ish degrees (e.g., 10 - 12ish degrees), yet."
    Thomsom Elite X4, info here, not cheap but worth it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    2011 talon 1 29er.
    shimano slx cranks
    shimano slx hydros m666
    x9 derailleur with new cables
    marz 44 micro ti fork set at 120mm

I converted it to a 1x9 last year and loved it. I just got a 2012 superfly 100al and Im going to convert the talon to a single speed for something different. I stripped the paint off because my old bike rack scratched the hell out of it and the white paint showed all the small scratches and rub marks that it left. I love the way it looks now.

You running a 26 up front?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You running a 26 up front?
    no its just in a hole. Its a 29x2.4 chunky monkey

mtbr member
    Have any more pics of the chunky monkey?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Left chunky monkey 2.4 with the dual compound vs right 2.4 ardent exo

ardent/2.2 ikon exo/chunky monkey
    you can see the dual compound well in this pic.

Finally you can see the side wall in this pic, its the ardent 2.4 casing so its the same size.

It grips quite well. I have only ridden on it a couple times but I like it just as much as the ardent if not more. I dont think it will last as long since I got the dual compound version but at half the price im more than happy with that. Weight is comprable to the ardent (give or take 10g).

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thomsom Elite X4, info here, not cheap but worth it.
    Thanks for the additional info! That Thomson stuff gets great reviews. I'll likely stick with something more around the +/- 15 degree rise though. I mounted up that 711 mm Haven bar yesterday, and took it for a test run using my old 90/15 stem. I love the bar, and the 90/15 set-up felt decent but perhaps just a tad bit farther stretched out now than I would like. I'm thinking an 80 mm, with around 15 - 17 degree rise would be about perfect. I'm afraid 70 mm might feel a little too "compact."

mtbr member
    May 2013
    On a different note... Who is still running your stock brake set-up? My 2012 Talon 29er 0 came with Avid Elixir 1's. They're horrible! Well, at least I think it's mostly the brake's fault. The rear brake squeals to high Heaven. It is absolutely horrible. The guys at the LBS say it doesn't hurt anything though. But, it's a psychological thing for me. I can't stand it. It makes me not want to use my rear brake; especially when descending. That could be dangerous, too.

I've tried just about everything to fix it, too. I've had the pads and rotor sanded. I installed brand new organic pads. I swapped out the rotor for a larger size. Nothing has worked. If I clean, with alcohol, the rotor right before a ride, that helps some, but it doesn't last long at all before the screeching starts up again. I haven't tried any of that special paste, yet (e.g., Squeal Out). I thought about dropping +/- $500 on a new Shimano XT brake set-up, but I've read reviews from others that state that even they tend to squeal to some degree.

My current set-up is ridiculous. A couple of weeks ago, I was coming down the trail and saw a couple of people running about a hundred yards ahead of me. They were trying to get away from the stuck pig that was screaming down the trail toward them! It's very embarrassing, to say the least...

Any suggestions? Also, I've read where frame resonance might be part of the problem, too. Any thoughts on that?

We're using the OE Root brakes that the '11 Talon 1 came with with no problem but lack power.

Avid brakes are famous for the squealing, try a non Avid rotor and or different pad compound to see if it improves.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    slx m666 brakes

I put these on my talon and threw the root brakes in the trash. They were weaker than rim brakes. They required 2 fingers to get any decent braking and could not get them to lock up in dirt no matter how hard I tried.

The slx brakes are 1 finger and for the price they are amazing. I upgraded to 180mm up front and its fantastic! No squealing or anything. They lack some of the adjustment that you get with the xt and xtr but have all the stopping power I could ever want. I think any more than what it has now would be too much.

I have elixir1s on my superfly and they are not bad just not as good as the slx brakes. Its not enough of a difference to warrant switching them out. I just moved them in a bit so my index finger lined up with the end of the handle to get some better leverage.

They both squeak when dirty but now squealing pigs. A good cleaning and a ride down the street lightly dragging the brakes fixes it.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Spoke Info

I would like to add some bling to my 2011 by adding some anodized nipples. What are the specs of the spokes so I order the correct nipple? Below is a link to what I am looking at:

New MTB Road BMX Bike 7075 Alloy Spoke Nipples 2 0mm 14g 5 8" 100 Pcs Orange | eBay

Thanks,
    Pal

Quote Originally Posted by heypal99 View Post
    I would like to add some bling to my 2011 by adding some anodized nipples. What are the specs of the spokes so I order the correct nipple?
    Cool idea but don't have an answer for you, try the Wheel and Tire sub forum to see if someone there knows.

Who took my gears?
    Cool idea but don't have an answer for you, try the Wheel and Tire sub forum to see if someone there knows.
    Let us know what you find out, because now I want to do this! Thinking about alternating between blue and red. Or just getting a new wheelset, LOL. But seriously please post what you find out on here so we know.

Wonder what the total cost of swapping the nipples is going to be, a wheel builder will have to basically undo the wheel or go spoke by spoke and that will take a while. We had a broken spoke recently and the repaired guy complained about the spokes being frozen, keep that in mind because may result on broken spokes.

Why not also throw colored spokes in the mix while at it?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Wonder what the total cost of swapping the nipples is going to be, a wheel builder will have to basically undo the wheel or go spoke by spoke and that will take a while. We had a broken spoke recently and the repaired guy complained about the spokes being frozen, keep that in mind because may result on broken spokes.

Why not also throw colored spokes in the mix while at it?
    I was thinking of doing it one spoke at a time just so not to get overwhelmed. The nipples are pretty cheap. A bag 100 of orange was $15.00 on Ebay. Yes, colored spokes would really ad some flair, but then things may get a little more expensive.

so you are just replacing the nips and possible spokes on stock rims and hubs? i'd definitely save and just build a new wheel set. will be more money for sure but it just seems like a lot of time, money, and effort for the so so stock wheel set. don't forget the ~$100 for the wheel builder. IMHO save up $300-400 and build. if you do decide to go with complete build then might i say stay away from the velocity blunt sl hoops. blunts (p35) good, blunt sl bad.

Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast