Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Is the '12 Talon 1 a better bike than the '13 Spec Hardrock sport disc 29? I dont know enough about the components to compare.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Bought my first real mtb recently, a 2012 Talon 29er 1. Before I was riding a Giant Roam 1 for recreation. I love the Talon so far! I can't wait to get it all dirty!

mtbr member
    those are scratch guards for cable rubs or the like

mtbr member
    May 2012
    [QUOTE=Jimmy V;9696741]
    Quote Originally Posted by Joes Rocket View Post
    Here I am with my bike. The sette seat dropped a lot of grams as well, however it isn't too comfortable and I don't think I will stick with it too long. It's a pity though because its so light and the white and black complements the bike well. It isn't too bad with padded shorts on though.

I cut the quote down to just the seat part.
    You have most likely learned already that these seats are intended/designed to be used with "padded shorts" =chamos. Don't give up your very nice saddle. Get a couple good pair of "padded shorts". Enjoy.

Thanks for the input. I do have a few pairs of some chamois shorts, and it is fine to ride with them. I still feel like it should be shaped a little better or wider for my behind though. However this is my first seat that is that nice, so maybe its just an adjustment.

Someone else had commented asking about removing the 3rd chain wheels and putting a bash guard on. This is how I bought my bike (i got it a year old barely used). When I am on the trails I never miss the 3rd gear, but when I ride around the neighborhoods I could use them. That being said when I upgrade my drivetrain I am going to go with 2x10.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iamadam1122 View Post
    Is the '12 Talon 1 a better bike than the '13 Spec Hardrock sport disc 29? I dont know enough about the components to compare.
    Being lazy, please post the specs so we can compare.

mtbr member

My new (to me) 2011 Talon 1. Bought it about a month ago used but mint (had to remove the reflectors).

I've already put about 100 miles on it doing some singletrack commuting to work. It is still stock, except for the seat and pedals.

The photo was from a rest area on my commute home last night.

My thoughts so far on my first 29er:
    +'s : climbs well, stable on downhills, no loss of maneuverability over my 26" Giant Trance, relaxed geometry, brakes are quiet and responsive, great price

-'s: That fork sucks... I mean really sucks. A little heavy (see #1). Tires are slip dip ippidty.

All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase. I went into it knowing full well that I would probably have to upgrade the fork...I held out hope that I am fairly light so I wouldn't be pushing its limits, but alas, I will have to upgrade the fork. I'm also looking for lighter rims and will go tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Does anyone have this fork on their Talon? Just seeing what decent forks are available in case I need to upgrade in the future.

Manitou Tower Expert 29er Forks Reviews
    Rides:

'13 Trek Mamba 29er
    '12 Giant Talon 29er 1 (stolen!)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiveSEVEN View Post
    Does anyone have this fork on their Talon? Just seeing what decent forks are available in case I need to upgrade in the future.

You'll find many Manitou haters around this parts, in my case I have mixed results with their products on the 26" arena, no experience with their 29" products so far.

Seems to be a decent fork for the money if you have a Talon with QR9, many of us have QR15 which makes the fork choices a lot more limited and the usual options are from Marzocchi (44 TST), Fox (F29) and Rock Shox (Reba).

squish, squish in da fish
    Quote Originally Posted by jiveSEVEN View Post

i'd go for the pro instead. Manitou Tower Pro 29 Fork 2011 > Components > Forks > Suspension Forks | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop customer service is very good despite ppl's opinions here. now you might not be a clydesdale but you can get good info here: Manitou Tower Pro Fork for Clydesdales - Techical. if you do decide you want to go with this fork you will need a new hub of 110mm to accomodate that 20mm thru axle. look at this one it is a convertible Universal Cycles -- Azonic Recoil Front Disc Hub. now just figure lacing it in at around $50. so for $455 you've got a good stiff front end cause that wet noodle it came with sucks. the rear hubs fail quickly on the talon 1. i'm on 3rd one. ive also gone through 2 chains. ive over 900 miles of hard trail riding though. i'd stay away from fox though as you must send them in to be serviced, such as re-build kit. $100 and out a fork while they fix. scammers they should stay w/ MX
    Last edited by fishwrinkle; 09-24-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Big wheels small brain
    Quote Originally Posted by noreasterbackcountry View Post
    I'm also looking for lighter rims and will go tubeless.
    Stock rims weigh ~525g and can be converted to tubeless with just gorilla tape and stans. Eventually I'll replace mine, but they've been quite durable over 2 seasons.

mtbr member
    Wheels are on the heavy side but so far have been durable on both of our Talons, the older one the only wheel related issue so far has been a broken spoke.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Ok, so just for clarification... the 2012 talon 1 has a 9mm QR front axle, correct?

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cj_desmit View Post
    Ok, so just for clarification... the 2012 talon 1 has a 9mm QR front axle, correct?
    That is what it looks like from the specs on the Giant website: Talon 29er 1- 2011 (2010) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States although they do not specifically mention it (like they did for the 15mm thru axle).

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Yah, I checked the specs as well and didn't really get a clear answer. I have the stock, junk suntour fork at the moment and am looking to upgrade. The forks stanchions where the axle goes through is open on the bottom, I believe that's characteristic of a 9mm QR, right?

If I do indeed have a 9mm QR it looks as if I'm going to need a new hub as I'm looking at getting either a Marz 44 TST2 (15QR) or a Manitou Tower Pro (20mm thru). I've haven't seen any forks with a 9QR besides the Reba...

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cj_desmit View Post
    Yah, I checked the specs as well and didn't really get a clear answer. I have the stock, junk suntour fork at the moment and am looking to upgrade. The forks stanchions where the axle goes through is open on the bottom, I believe that's characteristic of a 9mm QR, right?

If I do indeed have a 9mm QR it looks as if I'm going to need a new hub as I'm looking at getting either a Marz 44 TST2 (15QR) or a Manitou Tower Pro (20mm thru). I've haven't seen any forks with a 9QR besides the Reba...
    Yes, if the fork is open at the bottom it is 9mm QR. If you post a picture I can confirm for you for sure. There should be a lot of forks out there with 9mm QR. Because when I was looking for a new one for my 2011 Talon (has 15mm QR) I actually had a hard time finding one, because most of them were 9mm (and they were cheaper!)

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Everything I have seen either has a 15 or 20mm axle OR a tapered steerer...

However, I just came across a Manitou Tower Pro that supposedly comes with a 9mm QR (I called and asked customer service). The thing is, the fork is priced at $372 vs Jensons's $329 for the same fork only with a 20mm thru. So my question is now, do I pay the extra $40 to get the one that will bolt right up (9mm QR) or do I buy the one for $329 and spend the extra money ($120+) to get a 20mm axle?

Basically, is the 20mm axle worth the extra money?

mtbr member
    Fox, Rock Shox and Manitou make QR9 forks.

A bigger axle will make for a stronger front end so if you can expend extra by swapping hubs and relacing wheels go for it.

go with the manitou pro w/ 20mm and you'll never regret it. mine is on the way. of course you need a new hub and get it laced but well worth it IMHO.

oh CJ, yes, 9mm on '12 model.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Alright thanks for the help guys. I just pulled the trigger on a like-new Manitou Tower Pro with the 20mm thru axle for $275 shipped. I'm looking forward to seeing how big of an improvement it is over the junk suntour!

CJ, where did u find for $275, ebay?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I found it in the classifieds on pinkbike.com...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Another question... As I'm looking for a new front hub I see there are different lengths as well as the actual axle diameter. I know I need a 20mm, 32 hole hub but what about the length (100mm, 110mm, 135mm, ect)?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Could be wrong but the front hub size should be 100mm, just make sure that it has the correct amount of holes. Check the fork specks and the Sheldon Brown link that I gave you before.

mtbr member
    Just pulled the trigger on the Rockshox Reba RLT Dual Air 100mm to replace the Suntour. Decent deal on Amazon right now for the one with the QR15 axle. Specs didn't indicate it was 1 1/8" straight steerer tube but checked the listed model number ( 00.4016.065.030) with the manufacturer and confirmed that it was not the tapered steerer.FYI: Rockshox rep explained that purchasing through Amazon may negate the warranty given their difficulty in tracing the source.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Is this a pretty good deal for a Rockshox Reba?

BlueSkyCycling.com - 2011 Rock Shox Reba RLT Dual Air Fork 29er OE
    Rides:

'13 Trek Mamba 29er
    '12 Giant Talon 29er 1 (stolen!)

Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast