Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,100 of 2672
    Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Question for you guys/gals... Does 1.5 years of ownership seem soon to have to replace bottom bracket bearings? Mine are wearing out/work out and need to be replaced. It's only $30 or so and I know the stock crankset and bb is a total pos, but 1.5yrs? Maybe 5-600 miles? Seems rather quick.

mtbr member
    Mine is just under a year and the bearings are sounding a bit gritty when I spin the crank without the chain on. I'm going to get a BB this season I guess as the Talon has become a beater/ backup bike as of this spring.

That being said, I've been pretty hard on my bike riding in the rain, snow, sand, plus it gets the hose after every ride which can push sand in there so for as cheap as it is, I'm happy with a year/ year and a half of abuse to replace.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    Question for you guys/gals... Does 1.5 years of ownership seem soon to have to replace bottom bracket bearings? Mine are wearing out/work out and need to be replaced. It's only $30 or so and I know the stock crankset and bb is a total pos, but 1.5yrs? Maybe 5-600 miles? Seems rather quick.
    My Talon is pushing three years old, with maybe 600 - 700 miles on it, and the BB has sounded a bit gritty/rough for a while now. Works fine, just doesn't sound wonderful. Hard to say for sure whether it's mostly from wearing out, or just low quality components though. Likely a combo of both. I'm continuing to ride it for now. I'm thinking about a full drive train upgrade after this spring/summer riding season.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Talon owners .....-my-bike-epicon.jpg
    talon 27.5 new suntour epicon fork. i love this bike!

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I think I might try washing it after every ride... It's just been SUCH a muddy winter. Hopefully some dry times for riding ahead. @Klettsta...nice ride! You shave off any weight with that thing? And did you get it through the upgrade program?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I think I might try washing it after every ride... It's just been SUCH a muddy winter. Hopefully some dry times for riding ahead. @Klettsta...nice ride! You shave off any weight with that thing? And did you get it through the upgrade program?
    I usually wash mine after every 4 - 5 rides. Mud isn't really an issue, but dry, powdery dirt/dust is. I'll take mine to a do-it-yourself car wash. I stand it against one of the bay walls, and spray it down with bike cleaner. Lately, I've been using the Pedros green stuff. After that, I'll use the car wash sprayer on the low/mist, rinse setting, and gently rinse over the bike from about 6 - 7 feet away. I never aim the mist stream directly at anything bearings-associated, either (only from a lateral position, and at a good distance). I've followed that procedure many times now. It works very well. For mud, you might have to get a little more aggressive though...

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    thank you!!! and i shaved 2.2lbs! i ordered from ebay, really really good prices on them right now. i feel i got my moneys worth for sure!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Best Ever

Quote Originally Posted by klettsta1 View Post
    thank you!!! and i shaved 2.2lbs! i ordered from ebay, really really good prices on them right now. i feel i got my moneys worth for sure!
    Probably one of the best cost/weight savings upgrades ever posted!

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Would say is more related to use than age, in my case a set of Truvativ cups last me a season maybe a bit more but never 2 seasons. On my son's bike the Shimano cups have lasted 3 seasons and still going strong with no special maintenance.

The OE bb was shut months after I got the bike.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Kinda what I figured. Is there any sort of PM I can do as far as greasing it to increase the longevity?
    Also, looking for recs for a seatpost. Thinking carbon but don't want to spend a bunch.

Kinda what I figured. Is there any sort of PM I can do as far as greasing it to increase the longevity?
    Also, looking for recs for a seatpost. Thinking carbon but don't want to spend a bunch.
    Is a sealed bb so no maintenance can be done.

My recommendation for the seatpost will be Thompson, it's not cheap but will out live your bike. I would stay away from carbon, they usually fail at the clamp and post joint. At least look for a post with 2 bolt clamp and micro adjustment, I'm using a Woodman 2 bolt post on our Talons; looks nice, is light and works just fine.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I started out with the standard Giant Connect post. It was decent. But, then it developed a little play in it. I could tell if I lifted the bike using both hands, with one hand on bar/stem and the other at back of saddle. Then, I switched to a Race Face Turbine. I really like the Turbine because of its design; tilt and fore/aft are independently adjusted. But, I switched saddles not too long ago, and the Turbine, being an offset design, wasn't ideal anymore. So, I switched to a Thomson Elite, with no offset.

The Thomson is very nice. Works great. No faults at all. Expensive, at about $100, but catch one on sale if you can. I got mine from Backcountry.com, and used a promotional 20% off coupon at the time. Ironically, they're offering a 20% off coupon right now, too. So, you could get a Thomson for right at $80 right now, if you hurry. I think the coupon code is only good for a few more days. The code is "SAVE20". It'll save you 20% on one, full-priced item.

mtbr member
    May 2012

120 MM on fork?

So I imagine this has been asked, however has anyone run there fork (aftermarket) at 120 MM? If so, did it improve the bikes overall performance? Mine is currently set at 100, but thought it might be fun to experiment with 120 MM.

squish, squish in da fish
    i liked it

I hated it

Talon in action spoted

That's my son on his T1 at yesterday's NICA race, he crashed and bent the left (front) brake lever and got me thinking about replacing the Root brakes on his bike (and eventually mine). For those of you who upgraded brakes but kept the X5 shifters, what are you using? Thinking on SLX but open to suggestions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Boy I know I get flats every week and I'm considering Tubeless using the Stock Talon wheels. I'm on my second chain and just found my 2nd chain ring is slightly bent.... I'm reading these posts about 1.5-3 year old bikes with 5-600 miles needing bearings... How the hell are you wearing bearings out that quickly?

I'm just 1 week shy of 6 months on my 2014 Talon, I have logged over 1900 miles and going strong.
    I brew the best beer around, don't believe me? Ship me a keg of your finest and I'll email a picture of me drinking it.

idk, but i also have way over 2000 mies on my 2012 crankset before being upgraded and still smoove.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I think my wear was premature because of the amount of water I exposed the bb to. Going to try to keep it cleaner/drier from now on.
    On the flop side though, I've had the bike for 1.5 years and have had 0 flats. Makes me wonder how so many people have flat issues.

Like I said, since moving out of thorn country have had no flats on the stock wheels.

Wonder is the issue is snake bites due to low psi.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Talon in action spoted

That's my son on his T1 at yesterday's NICA race, he crashed and bent the left (front) brake lever and got me thinking about replacing the Root brakes on his bike (and eventually mine). For those of you who upgraded brakes but kept the X5 shifters, what are you using? Thinking on SLX but open to suggestions.
    Nice pic! Loving the Shimano XT brakes I upgraded to. No more noise. Night-n-day difference over the Avid Elixir 1 set that came on the bike. XT brakes are true one-finger brakes, too. Think I saw a promo email in my inbox this morning from Price Point, saying they have XT brakes for $100 each right now. SLX brakes are about the same cost, so might as well go XT.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer_Czar View Post
    Boy I know I get flats every week and I'm considering Tubeless using the Stock Talon wheels. I'm on my second chain and just found my 2nd chain ring is slightly bent.... I'm reading these posts about 1.5-3 year old bikes with 5-600 miles needing bearings... How the hell are you wearing bearings out that quickly?

I'm just 1 week shy of 6 months on my 2014 Talon, I have logged over 1900 miles and going strong.
    You do realize that's an average of about 11 miles per day, every day, for six months straight, right? So, the question then becomes... Do YOU do anything other than drink beer and ride?!

Seriously though... I don't think mine is worn out, yet. I think it was just low quality to start with. Mine works fine. It just doesn't sound great. I'm sure I could keep riding it for several hundred more miles, too, with no problems. But, it's way more fun to want something better, sooner rather than later...

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    hi guys, newbie here.. would there be any compatibility issues with my talon 27.5 and this group set?
    2014 Shimano Deore M610 Groupset Drivetrain Group Set 2x10 20 Speed M590 Upgrade | eBay

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dshoe70 View Post
    You do realize that's an average of about 11 miles per day, every day, for six months straight, right? So, the question then becomes... Do YOU do anything other than drink beer and ride?!

Seriously though... I don't think mine is worn out, yet. I think it was just low quality to start with. Mine works fine. It just doesn't sound great. I'm sure I could keep riding it for several hundred more miles, too, with no problems. But, it's way more fun to want something better, sooner rather than later...
    To be honest I don't have a commute, I work from home and start at 6 AM. Soo.... I'm off riding or hiking daily. My average Ride is approx 21 miles. This past Saturday I logged 43.65 mi. Sunday another 10. I ride 4-5 days a week, I hike/dog walk the rest and each walk is approx 6 miles. I brew beer twice a month, drink it post ride/hike. I ride and hike to downsize the belly after years of abuse. Down 45 + pounds.

That said, tonight's ride was another 23 but flat free, although I could wake to a flat tire...

I agree some parts are certainly not as well built as I thought. Tomorrow the mallet fix to a bent 2nd chain ring. I will ride this bike until it is either a total rebuild or the finances allow for an upgrade.

Now my cousin on the other hand has a Schwinn with just under 3900 miles and he's just found the rear wheel bearings are now toast.
    I brew the best beer around, don't believe me? Ship me a keg of your finest and I'll email a picture of me drinking it.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    My biggest chaining has been bent since about 3 months after I purchased the bike... I just use it as a bash guard now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    decided not to sell my talon0 and instead upgrade the fork yaay.

which of these rockshox fork is a better purchase:
    '14 RS SID XX Hydraulic RL 100mm 1 1/8" Straight 9mm - $715
    '14 RS SID RCT3 100mm 1 1-8" Straight 9mm - $690

Quote Originally Posted by spena View Post

Don't have experience with any of them but based on the specs the RCT3 is the better of the two, have you consider the Reba?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Don't have experience with any of them but based on the specs the RCT3 is the better of the two, have you consider the Reba?
    Reba was my first choice but lbs in my area doesn't carry it

leaning with rct3 as well because its slightly cheaper, no remote clutter and lighter as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by klettsta1 View Post
    hi guys, newbie here.. would there be any compatibility issues with my talon 27.5 and this group set?
    2014 Shimano Deore M610 Groupset Drivetrain Group Set 2x10 20 Speed M590 Upgrade | eBay
    Anybody?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I have my talon 27 5 5. Love it needs new handgrips, and maybe a better fork.

klettsta, yeah it will work, but beware that fibica likes to sell knockoffs. maybe not everything but some stuff i know for sure like the bb7's and rotors and cane creek s series headsets. the groupo you have listed isn;t much of an upgrade though. if it were me i'd wait a while until you can al least maybe get into the slx tier.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thank you for the info! I was totally goin to buy the Bb7 set from them too. Also, this upgrade groupset is only for 2x10 aspect. And hopefully the crank is alot nicer than my stock one. I will look into higher tier stuff tho. Thanks!
    would x7 much be better? Can get that set for round 4-500.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutz View Post
    I have my talon 27 5 5. Love it needs new handgrips, and maybe a better fork.
    The fork is hurting on the stock one haha. But I love mine too! I cant wait for a new wheelset someday.. bet itd really make the bike feel nice. love this upgrade addiction. My fiance has caught the addiction as well with her matching women's model tempt 5. Great bikes!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    klettsta, yeah it will work, but beware that fibica likes to sell knockoffs. maybe not everything but some stuff i know for sure like the bb7's and rotors and cane creek s series headsets. the groupo you have listed isn;t much of an upgrade though. if it were me i'd wait a while until you can al least maybe get into the slx tier.
    thanks for the feedback on fibica, was condisering getting a SID fork from them for my talon0

Reba was my first choice but lbs in my area doesn't carry it
    look on eBay, that's where I got my Dual Air RLT for less than $500 shipped.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hey Talon owners!

I picked up a Talon 1 (2012) last summer - since it was year old and the LBS still had it I got a great deal on it! I had a blast riding it last summer and learned a lot.

I know there's talk about not upgrading it as a beginner, but I know I definitely want a shorter stem and wider bars - any reccomendations?

I think I'm set on the 60mm Truvativ Hussefelt stem (only 30 bucks on Jenson) but I'm undecided on bars?

I want something wider - 700+ but there so many options I feel lost?

Riser vs flat? I'm looking for something inexpensive, but still good quality. For example, I found a few last year models on Jenson/PricePoint for Easton and Race Face that are around $30 - is that too cheap?

For example, a 711mm Easton Vice bars for $20?

What bars do you guys reccomend?

Quote Originally Posted by robr1023 View Post
    Hey Talon owners!

I picked up a Talon 1 (2012) last summer - since it was year old and the LBS still had it I got a great deal on it! I had a blast riding it last summer and learned a lot.

I know there's talk about not upgrading it as a beginner, but I know I definitely want a shorter stem and wider bars - any reccomendations?

I think I'm set on the 60mm Truvativ Hussefelt stem (only 30 bucks on Jenson) but I'm undecided on bars?

Riser vs flat? I'm looking for something inexpensive, but still good quality. For example, I found a few last year models on Jenson/PricePoint for Easton and Race Face that are around $30 - is that too cheap?

The wider the bar the "slower" the steering will feel, if that's what you want go for it.

I use a Giant Contact flatbar (680) on mine with a Thompson 90mm stem, my son uses a FSA SLK carbon flar bar (680) with a Giant Contact 90mm reversed stem.

Easton and Race Face products are good, the difference in price is material and weight; the lighter it is the more expensive it gets.

Hussefelt is more for aggressive riding so it might be on the heavier side.

If you want carbon Easton is the way to go, for alloy Race Face, Spank, Easton have nice offerings.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hey Talon owners!

I have 2012 Talon 0. Stock bike was Giant riser bar at 670 mm, and Giant stem at 100 mm/6 degrees. My new bike left the showroom with the same bar, and Giant stem at 90 mm/15 degrees. My current set-up is Easton Haven (alum) riser bar at 711 mm, and Bontrager stem at 75 mm/17 degrees.

Love the wider/shorter set-up. 60 mm sounds pretty short though. What size bike do you have?

mtbr member

Im not sure how comfortable you are spending that much $$ on a fork. I say that because there are many deals to be had if you just keep an eye on things for about a month.

I picked up a 140mm dual air revelation for $390 off of crc, and I think the MSRP was in the $1100 ball park. Which is quite similar to a Reba. Not that thats what your are looking for, but just an example of the deals out there.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have a Giant Talon 0. Stock bike was Giant riser bar at 670 mm, and Giant stem at 100 mm/6 degrees. My new bike left the showroom with the same bar, and Giant stem at 90 mm/15 degrees. My current set-up is Easton Haven (alum) riser bar at 711 mm, and Bontrager stem at 75 mm/17 degrees.

Love the wider/shorter set-up. 60 mm sounds pretty short though. What size bike do you have?
    Its a a Large. I'm 5'11 and I guess I was in between med and large... But at my lbs I was fitted to a large. It seems a little big, so I figured 60mm because it would do 2 things - make it a little less stretched while still getting the benefits of a short stem.

I can't seem to fund any review of the easton vice 2013 bars but the $20 on Price point is tempting. I want to know if they seem like good bars... Or maybe anything from Jenson on PricePoint for 30-40 wish. They seem to have a decent amount at that price (I guess closeout)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by akaBrowntown View Post
    Im not sure how comfortable you are spending that much $$ on a fork. I say that because there are many deals to be had if you just keep an eye on things for about a month.

I picked up a 140mm dual air revelation for $390 off of crc, and I think the MSRP was in the $1100 ball park. Which is quite similar to a Reba. Not that thats what your are looking for, but just an example of the deals out there.
    pulled the trigger on the sid rct3 today. Spent $610 with dealer discount and gift card, installation is free. Expensive but I was considering on buying a fs that would have made me spend up to 3k, i think its a good compromise.

will post pics once its installed in a week or two. also thanks for the feedback

pulled the trigger on the sid rct3 today. Spent $610 with dealer discount and gift card, installation is free. Expensive but I was considering on buying a fs that would have made me spend up to 3k, i think its a good compromise.

will post pics once its installed in a week or two. also thanks for the feedback
    You'll see how this bike comes alive after a fork upgrade.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Anybody ever use the Answer Protaper 720mm bars? Im considering them for $30

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    No doubt !!! I finally dumped my Suntour for a Reba and dropped about 4 pounds off the bike. The new fork also handles and rides so much better with the ability to fine tune the fork to me. I also ordered from Amazon at 400 bucks delivered to my door

mtbr member
    Hey Talon owners!

I've got a race Face 60mm stem on my bike with a wide flat Easton bar and it rocks buddy. I can climb like a goat and bomb the down hills while racing !!!! I love it. This pic doesn't show the 60mm stem I added but a lot of people are switching to shorter stems

Last edited by cigarlover; 04-22-2014 at 12:42 PM. Reason: add to post

mtbr member
    Here's a shot with my 60mm stem set up !!!! not too short at all

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Amen. I didn't go large on my fork upgrade (Recon Gold), but it was an upgrade and didn't break the bank. Wheelset upgrade was also huge, but in the same category of modesty.
    HUGE upgrades in performance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

New Talon 4 27.5 owner here

Hello folks, new Talon 4 owner here as well, just starting at mountain biking and the Talon was the best choice for me for several reasonsTalon owners .....-giant-talon-4.jpg.

welcome to the sport, now go get it dirty!

Quote Originally Posted by Brazuca View Post
    Hello folks, new Talon 4 owner here as well, just starting at mountain biking and the Talon was the best choice for me for several reasonsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Giant Talon 4.jpg 
Views:	1925 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	888094.
    That bike is to clean, go enjoy it, get it dirty and show us some nasty dirty pics.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Does anyone know the size wrench needed for pedals on the Giant Talon 1 (2012 if it makes a difference)? Looking to get a wrench and don't know if its 9/16 or 15mm. I was looking for a pedal wrench and the highly rated park wrench is much cheaper when only getting one size instead of the double sided.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Does anyone know the size wrench needed for pedals on the Giant Talon 1 (2012 if it makes a difference)? Looking to get a wrench and don't know if its 9/16 or 15mm. I was looking for a pedal wrench and the highly rated park wrench is much cheaper when only getting one size instead of the double sided.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Post no longer applicable...
    Last edited by dshoe70; 04-24-2014 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Mistaken size, initially.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I bought the one-sided, economical Park pedal wrench. 99.99% certain it's 9/16. My bike is a 2012 Giant Talon 0, and I used said wrench to remove the factory pedals. Both sets of aftermarket pedals I've used since then mount via hex keys.
    I ended up going to Home Depot anyway since it's a 1 minute drive from my college. I bought a 15mm wrench (even though it wasn't a bike specific one - not thin) and it was only $2 so I thought it was worth the risk. fit and worked perfectly! so 15mm was the size for my stock pedals on the giant talon 1 2012.

Now I got my sweet black Wellgo MG-1s on!!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I ended up going to Home Depot anyway since it's a 1 minute drive from my college. I bought a 15mm wrench (even though it wasn't a bike specific one - not thin) and it was only $2 so I thought it was worth the risk. fit and worked perfectly! so 15mm was the size for my stock pedals on the giant talon 1 2012.

Now I got my sweet black Wellgo MG-1s on!!
    You're right! The tool I bought is the Park PW-5, with a 15 mm opening on the business end. I'll modify or remove that other post, where I said I was almost positive it's 9/16. Sounds good on the new pedals, too...

MG-1's are good pedals if you're into flats.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    They seem like it! I just got them installed and just tried riding around my house - wow! they're so grippy! I haven't even put on flat shoes yet (Teva's) but they already seem amazing. Can't wait to try them on the trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    along with my fork upgrade, i am also planning on swapping the current components for a full shimano xt group set.

Will I have any problems with if I were to purchase this set:
    NEW 2012 Shimano Deore XT 3 10s Group SET 9pcs Brake Crank Shift Cassette Chain | eBay

NEW 2012 Shimano Deore XT 3 10s Group SET 9pcs Brake Crank Shift Cassette Chain | eBay
    You shouldn't, just make sure that the front derailleur fits.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    along with my fork upgrade, i am also planning on swapping the current components for a full shimano xt group set.

I'm in the same boat. I want full Simano XT set-up, too, but haven't done the drive train thing, yet. I have already done the brakes, however. That set you're looking at looks straightforward enough. Only questions I would have are:

1) Are you a bigger dude, who may need a 180 mm rotor up front?

2) Will the supplied adapters work with your bike?

3) Are the shifters I-spec mountable? They look like they are. Others in a different thread told me to go that route, over separate clamps.

Also, I'd be concerned for two reasons: 1) It's on ebay (have had bad luck buying from ebay before), and 2) It's coming from overseas (China).

To put things into better perspective... I think I recall my full Shimano XT brake set running right around $400. I bought it all from Universal Cycles. You can get complete upgrade sets from Colorado Cyclist for good prices, too. Wiggle has good prices on the cranks, last time I checked (about a week ago). So, for not much more money (maybe $150ish), you can buy from reputable bike-oriented outfits here in the states (exept Wiggle is in England). Wiggle is trustworthy though...

That's what I've been thinking lately anyway. No matter how good the price, I would never buy from ebay (and especially something coming from China on ebay). That's just me though...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    ^ thanks for the awesome feedback. Def changed my mind about buying it on ebay and may go with ColoradoCyc options instead particularly this XT groupset: Shimano XT Dyna-Sys 2x10 8-piece kit (ouch on the price!)

I was at my lbs earlier today and they also mentioned I can go with the X9 groupset (cheaper & easier to find) but use the XT brake set

mtbr member
    May 2013
    ^ thanks for the awesome feedback. Def changed my mind about buying it on ebay and may go with ColoradoCyc options instead particularly this XT groupset: Shimano XT Dyna-Sys 2x10 8-piece kit (ouch on the price!)

I was at my lbs earlier today and they also mentioned I can go with the X9 groupset (cheaper & easier to find) but use the XT brake set
    Yeah, I like how Colorado Cyclist prices everything out into convenient groupsets, where you just pick what you want via drop-down boxes for each component. The only caveat I noticed with them is that the I-spec shifters aren't an option on the 5-piece set. Might have to inquire with them on that, to see if it could be an option. Of course, if it doesn't matter to you, then you'd just do the clamp-ons and remove the gear indicator windows (what others say).

I read a review article not too long ago that stated that SRAM's X9 groupset is the equivalent to Shimano's XT groupset. So, yeah, go for it, if you think it'll be better for you.

Forgot to mention earlier, but Giant Nerd sent me a promo email right before lunch today saying all Shimano stuff is at least 25% through them right now. So, they may be worth a look, too. But, last time I looked at them, they were fairly limited on their offerings. Also, they don't group things conveniently like CO Cyclist does, either. Anyway...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Well, I took it out earlier today, and got it a little dirty(er)!

Talon owners .....-img_20140426_131910_579.jpg

Talon owners .....-img_20140426_140218_799.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I read a review article not too long ago that stated that SRAM's X9 groupset is the equivalent to Shimano's XT groupset. So, yeah, go for it, if you think it'll be better for you.
    did more digging with the x9 and i prefer the XT's brakes, rear dr and shifters more than the x9 so ill just a full xt swap.

Ill start with the brakes since its currently available at chainreaction and ill just wait until they have the xt group to be available.

mtbr member
    XT components and especially brakes can always be had at a high discount at one place or another if you look around. I usually like stuff that's different but when something breaks on my bike I always go to XT to replace it just because it's known to be good and the price is right.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckeieio View Post
    XT components and especially brakes can always be had at a high discount at one place or another if you look around. I usually like stuff that's different but when something breaks on my bike I always go to XT to replace it just because it's known to be good and the price is right.
    best prices i found so far are from ebay but Im skeptical eventhough they are considered reputable dealer.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    best prices i found so far are from ebay but Im skeptical eventhough they are considered reputable dealer.
    Shimano XT brakes are worth full price. Worth their weight in gold. Extreme difference between them and the lesser Avid Elixir 1 brakes that came on my bike. Will NEVER ride anything else again, unless it's Shimano XTR brakes or maybe Hopes. Bought my complete Shimano XT brake set-up from Universal Cycles, for around $400 total. That includes front and rear brakes (levers, hoses, calipers, pads), Ice Tech rotors, and Shimano adapters.

Brakes are the second best upgrade I've done to my bike. New wheelset is number one. New fork is number three. All based on my opinion, of course...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Re: Talon owners .....

Shimano XT brakes are worth full price. Worth their weight in gold. Extreme difference between them and the lesser Avid Elixir 1
    So you're comparing the Avid Elixer 1 (bottom of the line brakes) to Shimano XT (one step below race level xtr) and will never go back because your Shimano brakes are better than you're Avid brakes were?

I had a Ford Escort once. Then I got an Audi Quattro. I'll never buy Ford again.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by iscariot View Post
    So you're comparing the Avid Elixer 1 (bottom of the line brakes) to Shimano XT (one step below race level xtr) and will never go back because your Shimano brakes are better than you're Avid brakes were?

I had a Ford Escort once. Then I got an Audi Quattro. I'll never buy Ford again.
    Exactly!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I just picked up a 2014 Talon 29er 2 the other day, and just installed a cateye strada. Im 6 ft and in between the L and M. Only thing in town was the large so I ended up with it. But so far I'm happy with it..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-20140429_190714.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by JamesP View Post
    Im 6 ft and in between the L and M. Only thing in town was the large so I ended up with it. But so far I'm happy with it..
    And you should be, is the right size for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    quick question, does our talon come with a Top swing or Conventional FD?

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Not sure of all the new terminology, but I know its a Shimano alivio.

My 2011 is top swing.

'12 is a top swing

mtbr member
    May 2013
    And you should be, is the right size for you.
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. At 6-feet tall, I can't see a Giant size medium being a good fit (too cramped). I'm about 6'1.5" and 240ish pounds, and I'm right in between sizes large and XL. I went with XL, for a nice, stable ride.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I think it's likely both. DD and Fish are right, in that it's a top swing. Mine's a 12', and the OEM FD is a top swing. But, I think "conventional" might be just another way of a vendor representing the style of the attachment. I've also seen the term "traditional" used, too. With Shimano XT FD, just make sure you get top swing and NOT direct-mount. Pretty sure they're double- and triple-specific as well (different models for each scenario).

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    This is going to sound weird but my butt is still sore from a ride 5 weeks ago. It's the tailbone I'm pretty sure. Right now I'm running the stock talon saddle. I'm thinking of trying the WTB pure V race due solely to the fact that I'm 6'2" 215lbs and allegedly those saddles have issues in the ti and Ni-cro with the rails either breaking or bending. Does anyone have any experience?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLSU View Post
    This is going to sound weird but my butt is still sore from a ride 5 weeks ago. It's the tailbone I'm pretty sure. Right now I'm running the stock talon saddle. I'm thinking of trying the WTB pure V race due solely to the fact that I'm 6'2" 215lbs and allegedly those saddles have issues in the ti and Ni-cro with the rails either breaking or bending. Does anyone have any experience?
    Not good... Five weeks is a LONG time! Hope you haven't done any substantial damage.

No experience here with the Pure V. I wanted a Pure V Pro for quite a while though. Ended up going with a Laser V Pro instead. I rode it for a couple years. It was way better than the stock, Giant "torture device." But, the Laser V did make me quite numb after a few hours on the bike. I think it was always just an issue of having the nose tilted up too much though. I adjusted it, and then rode it one last time before I got rid of it. Dropping the nose definitely helped. However, that last ride on it was only for a few minutes, so I don't know if it would've been good forevermore. The Laser V has a pretty pronounced "banana" shape to it, too. I think the Pure V is a little flatter design.

Anyway, I switched to a Chromag Trailmaster after the Laser V. And, I'm never going back to WTB again. I LOVE the Trailmaster. Even definitely more comfortable than the Laser V was. The Trailmaster is actually surprisingly comfortable.

I haven't ridden with a shammy in about 1.5 years, either. I ride bike shorts au naturale. My last ride was a week ago today. I was out for right at 3.75 hours, over the course of about 20 - 25 miles. On that day, I rode in some thin TNF trail running shorts, and nothing else under my rearend. Yes, I did do some shifting around on the saddle a bit, throughout the ride, but it was nothing even close to being an issue or painful. Also, not once did I get any numbness on the Trailmaster, like I used to get on the Laser V.

I'm about 6'1.5" and pushing 250ish all geared up. And, with no shammy, and no real discomfort to speak of for nearly four hours, that gives you a pretty good idea of what the Trailmaster is like.

Not trying to talk you out of the Pure V. You may love it. Have a look at that Trailmaster though, too, if you can. Sucky thing about saddles is you have to buy-n-try several before you might find one you really like.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLSU View Post
    Oh... One more thing... I never had any issues with the WTB Ni-Cro rails that I know of, even at my body build. So, look at the Pure V Pro. No seams...

WillWorkForTrail
    That's a long time to be hurting. There are a couple of things I'd like to point out. A good LBS should have a variety of "try" saddles that should give them and idea what will work well for you so they can make recommendations. So, there's that.

The other thing, and this is greatly debated, but I'm going to put it out there, is that the saddle on a bike isn't really for...sitting on, quite the way, say, a chair is. Yes, you put your backside on it, and yes, it supports some of your weight, but ideally, you frequently float on the saddle, using it more for stability than actually to sit on. The longer you ride, the harder this floating gets to do as you get tired, but you will notice the difference, and the more you float, the longer you'll be able to do it. That's not to say there aren't times when you can't just sit down on the saddle, but don't do it all the time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have a 2012 Talon 0 29er medium, would all the components fit a SMALL Talon frame?

Quote Originally Posted by c0nr4d View Post
    I have a 2012 Talon 0 29er medium, would all the components fit a SMALL Talon frame?
    Sure, all you need to adjust is the cable and hose lengths.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    What are you guys using for tires? Front and back?

I live in the Northeast (ride NY, NJ, CT) and I was wondering why my tires sucked on roots and rocks - turns on the stock tires - Kenda Small Block 8's aren't made for the very rocky and rooty terrain of the NE.

I've decided to get new tires but I am still deciding on what to get - also how wide can I go - I hear lots of talk of getting 2.4 up front - but that seems so freaking wide especially just on a hardtail for trail riding.

Looking at the Maxxis ardent in the rear though, but don't know about the front. (also trying to keep it around 40ish for a tire - which I found the ardent 29 folding bead around that price) The high roller is around 70 and that's too much for me to get it for the front tire.

(also folding? what do you prefer) (Not going tubeless.)

i personally don't like wire beads, kinda a pita for storage and mounting. ask local shops that you frequent & survey what's on the trails as far as specific brand tire, but ardents are popular. idk about you, but i love wide tires no matter ht or full squish. one of my ht's has 2.5 & 2.3 on 45mm rims and its my main ride. i don't think i'll ever do tubeless as i swap between 5 sets of tires depending on the location of the trail.

mtbr member
    May 2013

I live in the Northeast (ride NY, NJ, CT) and I was wondering why my tires sucked on roots and rocks - turns on the stock tires - Kenda Small Block 8's aren't made for the very rocky and rooty terrain of the NE.

I've decided to get new tires but I am still deciding on what to get - also how wide can I go - I hear lots of talk of getting 2.4 up front - but that seems so freaking wide especially just on a hardtail for trail riding.

Looking at the Maxxis ardent in the rear though, but don't know about the front. (also trying to keep it around 40ish for a tire - which I found the ardent 29 folding bead around that price) The high roller is around 70 and that's too much for me to get it for the front tire.

(also folding? what do you prefer) (Not going tubeless.)
    I like this article. Seems to cover the bases pretty well.

Top Ten Guide - Best 29" Mountain Bike Tires | Old Glory MTB - Mountain Biking Made In America

Currently, I'm running 2.2" Continental Mountain King II Protection tires both front and rear, with tubes. Prior to that, I had 2.35" Schwalbe Nobby Nic up front, and 2.25" Schwalbe Racing Ralph on the rear. I didn't care too much for the Schwalbes, given my current, specific rims (Stans Flow EX). Prior to that, I had 2.2" Continental X-King Protection tires both front and rear. Those tires were nice, but they wore prematurely since they were from a bad batch (got the Mountain Kings for free, as a result). Prior to that, it was the original 2.1" Kenda SB8 tires both front and rear.

So far, I like the Mountain Kings the best. No plans to go tubeless any time soon, either. I didn't think that 2.35" Schwalbe felt too wide. The size was actually pretty nice. Friend of mine has used both 2.2" and 2.4" X-Kings on one of his bikes, and he says he prefers the 2.2" tires. I might try 2.4" Mountain Kings next time around...

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hey all

Picked up a Giant talon 27.5 2 a few days ago, enjoying it so far (Think this model might not be available in the US ? )

Talon owners .....-20140503_140738_zpsvmf7lb2m.jpg

Planning on picking up a much shorter stem and definitely some new pedals later this week, any suggestions ?

I'm in Syracuse and ride around CNY, the recommendation will be for knobby tires but you can manage to ride with less aggressive tires depending on where you go.

I'm using the OE Maxis Cross Mark and my son is on Schwalbe Rapid Rob, the Maxis aren't great on wet but work OK for normal conditions but the Rapid Rob seem to work well all around. A very popular tire around here is the Continental Mountain King and Race King, Specialized Captain(f) and Ground Control(r) and Bontrager XR4(f) and XR3(r).

Wire bead is cheaper but a hassle, if can afford it go with folding.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind1 View Post
    Planning on picking up a much shorter stem and definitely some new pedals later this week, any suggestions ?
    If going with flats check out the Wellgo MG1's, I'm a CrankBros kind of guy so check out the Beaters or Candy if going clipless.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    If going with flats check out the Wellgo MG1's, I'm a CrankBros kind of guy so check out the Beaters or Candy if going clipless.
    Will be going with flats. Shall check out the Wellgo MG1's.

Cheers for the suggestion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blind1 View Post
    Hey all
    Picked up a Giant talon 27.5 2 a few days ago, enjoying it so far (Think this model might not be available in the US ? )

Good to see a fellow Aussie on here

I have the Talon 4 and the LBS replaced my pedals with better ones at the first service as they begun to move a bit under load. The Talon 2 has the same pedals so I'm guessing yours will be shot by the first service, you never know they might replace them under warranty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm in the process of going tubeless on my Talon 27.5 with S-XC2 rims and Rapid Rob tires. I have completed the front and it seems to be holding pressure. There are a few things I learned and thought Id pass on.

I'm using Stan's with the "flow" rim strips. I had to add an extra layer of Velox rim tape. In seating the rim strip, I had to stretch it very little as it is already nearly the right length for my 27.5 rim. I had to use special care to make sure the rim strip seated all the way.

I used an air compressor and removed the valve core from the presta valve.

The biggest issue I had was sealing the tire in the area of the valve. I had to pull on the valve while putting air into it to get it to allow the tire bead to seat properly. When I do the rear tire, will probably not put an extra layer of Velox at the valve.

I am pleased to report that the Rapid Rob seemed to be pretty airtight on its own. It took very little to get the whole thing to seal and hold pressure. However, I will know more tomorrow when I check the pressure.

mtbr member
    Anyone with a 2012 Talon 2 29er who converted their rims to tubeless successfully?

Sent from my GT-B5330 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bosbik View Post
    Anyone with a 2012 Talon 2 29er who converted their rims to tubeless successfully?

Yes mine is converted using the stock wheels and tires. I personally did not do it but had it done at my LBS. It's been 1 year and 8 months since I've had it done with zero flats or any other issues at all.

mtbr member
    Cool..what did the lbs use?..a stans kit or ghetto?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bosbik View Post
    Cool..what did the lbs use?..a stans kit or ghetto?

Stan's

mtbr member
    Perfect!..thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2014

My New Bike

Just got her yesterday. Talon 27.5 5. Plan to take it for a spin around blue marsh.

Talon owners .....-talon-27.5-5.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar883 View Post
    Just got her yesterday. Talon 27.5 5. Plan to take it for a spin around blue marsh.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Talon 27.5 5.jpg 
Views:	5333 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	892016
    Looks nice! I like the all-matte-black look. Friend of mine just bought the exact same bike about a week ago.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks, dshoe70.

I was contemplating this talon 27.5 or the Giant Revel 29er. I liked the large tires size on the revel. I just got off of road biking and wanted to get back into mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've been using Geax Saguaro TNT 2.2's for a while now and they're great.

You're able to mount these tires either direction; one way for speed, the other for traction. While I've mounted them in various directions, I currently have them mounted with speed in the rear and traction in the front. These tires grip great through the corners and roll fast! They've held up well for 2 seasons of riding but are getting close to a change.

While you said your not going tubeless it should be noted that these tires are great candidates for a tubeless conversion. The beads set super tight, in fact you'll more than likely brake a tire lever while mounting them. With 2 scoops of stans and a hand pump (no air compressor needed) these tires will set no problems!

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 140