mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Talon Front Forks - 27.5"...Need Help

Hello everyone, I am getting ready to upgrade my front forks on my Giant Talon 27.5, hardtail, in about a month or so, please see below the following types of forks that I am interested in so far;

1. Rockshox SID XX
    2. Rockshox SID RCT3
    3. Rockshox Reba RLT

The question I have is what shock is overall better for this bike.
    I have read some reviews on each one - they seem to be very good.
    Need more opinions - all information would be very helpful.

Or, any suggestions on other brands-shocks that would be great on this bike..... e.g. Fox.

thank you.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB_Dozer View Post
    Hello everyone, I am getting ready to upgrade my front forks on my Giant Talon 27.5, hardtail, in about a month or so, please see below the following types of forks that I am interested in so far;

1. Rockshox SID XX
    2. Rockshox SID RCT3
    3. Rockshox Reba RLT

The question I have is what shock is overall better for this bike.
    I have read some reviews on each one - they seem to be very good.
    Need more opinions - all information would be very helpful.

Or, any suggestions on other brands-shocks that would be great on this bike..... e.g. Fox.

thank you.
    Reba or Manitou Tower (Pro or Expert). I wouldn't look at anything else, unless you can get a really awesome deal. No Fox. That goes without saying. SID is even higher level than Reba, and isn't warranted. Here, use me and my new headset quest as a real-world example:

I had been looking at new headsets for mine for a long time. I was only considering Cane Creek and Chris King. From Cane Creek, the 110-series and the 40-series. I really liked the Cane Creek 110, but as time went on, and with me kicking the idea around even more, I came to the conclusion that I didn't need to put a top-of-the-line Cane Creek or Chris King headset on my Talon. Look at most, multi-thousand dollar, stock builds from just about any manufacturer, and you'll find Cane Creek 40-series to be the most prominent headset offering. Kind of like, "Why would you want to put a Cadillac headset on an SUV mountain bike?" Same principle here... Most Fox forks would cost as much as your whole bike likely did. I don't know about SID, but I do believe they're quite a bit more than Reba, too. Love my Reba! I need nothing more than it for my Talon. If I didn't have Reba, it'd be Tower Pro. Money saved would go to other upgrades...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dshoe70 View Post
    Reba or Manitou Tower (Pro or Expert). I wouldn't look at anything else, unless you can get a really awesome deal. No Fox. That goes without saying. SID is even higher level than Reba, and isn't warranted. Here, use me and my new headset quest as a real-world example:

I had been looking at new headsets for mine for a long time. I was only considering Cane Creek and Chris King. From Cane Creek, the 110-series and the 40-series. I really liked the Cane Creek 110, but as time went on, and with me kicking the idea around even more, I came to the conclusion that I didn't need to put a top-of-the-line Cane Creek or Chris King headset on my Talon. Look at most, multi-thousand dollar, stock builds from just about any manufacturer, and you'll find Cane Creek 40-series to be the most prominent headset offering. Kind of like, "Why would you want to put a Cadillac headset on an SUV mountain bike?" Same principle here... Most Fox forks would cost as much as your whole bike likely did. I don't know about SID, but I do believe they're quite a bit more than Reba, too. Love my Reba! I need nothing more than it for my Talon. If I didn't have Reba, it'd be Tower Pro. Money saved would go to other upgrades...
    I like your input here. As to Reba, I have heard good reviews on this shock. And SID is somewhat more cost on Reba. What type Reba do you have? RL or RLT w/remote?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Let me start by saying that no shock is designed for a specific frame but it should match the travel and geometry that was designed for it. Only the G2 geometry bikes (Trek) have a fork designed for them.

The Reba has less flex than the SID which is a "racing" fork and that's why is more expensive. The Reba RLT is a great fork but requires a lot of tweaking (and reading) to take advantage of all its features, that's what I have on mine and I'm not a featherweight.

Check out what Marzocchi and Xfusion has to offer, Fox will be a great upgrade but will prolly cost more than your bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    Let me start by saying that no shock is designed for a specific frame but it should match the travel and geometry that was designed for it. Only the G2 geometry bikes (Trek) have a fork designed for them.

The Reba has less flex than the SID which is a "racing" fork and that's why is more expensive. The Reba RLT is a great fork but requires a lot of tweaking (and reading) to take advantage of all its features, that's what I have on mine and I'm not a featherweight.

Check out what Marzocchi and Xfusion has to offer, Fox will be a great upgrade but will prolly cost more than your bike.

Hi DirtDevil; thank you for the info. Ok, so, you have a Reba RLT. is it dual air or solo?which is better? And, just checking on the RLT, some riders say there is much stiffness to this shock? can you elaborate here?

Also, the Reba from what your saying has more flexibility than SID, whereas SID is stiff correct? reba takes the bumps, rocks, roots better?

I agree with what your saying about Fox...its a great upgrade - but yes more expensive than the bike.
    thank you

mtbr member
    Dozer

My Reba is the RLT Dual Air, a pain to setup but when you dial it in is sweet. The main difference between the Reba and SID is weight, the SID is lighter but has more flex; having said that both are good and take everything that a regular xc trail has to offer.

Solo or Dual? The solo only has positive pressure, the Dual has positive and negative making it more tuneable and you can fine tune small bump compliance.

If you are light, count grams and may race the SID might be the fork for you; if you're on the heavy side and/or plow thru the trails the Reba is the better choice.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I like your input here. As to Reba, I have heard good reviews on this shock. And SID is somewhat more cost on Reba. What type Reba do you have? RL or RLT w/remote?
    thanks
    Mine is a 2013 Rock Shox Reba RL Solo Air (without remote).

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Dozer

My Reba is the RLT Dual Air, a pain to setup but when you dial it in is sweet. The main difference between the Reba and SID is weight, the SID is lighter but has more flex; having said that both are good and take everything that a regular xc trail has to offer.

Solo or Dual? The solo only has positive pressure, the Dual has positive and negative making it more tuneable and you can fine tune small bump compliance.

If you are light, count grams and may race the SID might be the fork for you; if you're on the heavy side and/or plow thru the trails the Reba is the better choice.
    DirtDevil; Again I thank you very much for this information. Now its a decision I must make, and it seems either one > SID or REBA is a good choice.
    I am about 5'-6", 165-170 lbs and I have a tendency to plow thru the trails fast and radically at times. (occasionally wiping out...lol...but its fun). But at times I take my time riding thru the trails casually-enjoying the scenery too.
    Again, thank you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Mine is a 2013 Rock Shox Reba RL Solo Air (without remote).
    hey dshoe70, you have a RockShox Reba Rl solo....how is it? enjoy it? any issues?

mtbr member
    I am about 5'-6", 165-170 lbs and I have a tendency to plow thru the trails fast and radically at times. (occasionally wiping out...lol...but its fun). But at times I take my time riding thru the trails casually-enjoying the scenery too
    Based on this description I would go with the Reba, I'm 2" taller and about 20 pounds heavier and the Reba is great.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    hey dshoe70, you have a RockShox Reba Rl solo....how is it? enjoy it? any issues?
    It's awesome. I love it. Huge difference between it and the RS XC 28 that came on my bike. The Reba is lighter, stronger, stiffer, and way more plush. No problems with it whatsoever (I've had it a little over a year now). Only thing I do is check the PSI every now and then to make sure it stays where I want it to be, and ride. I wanted a really nice fork that I could just set-n-forget, and the Reba has been excellent at that so far. It's a great match for Talon. If you're still running that same stock fork that came on your bike, then I think you'd find that you'd like the Reba much better, too.

Look at other forks though, like you're doing, before you make a final decision. SID, if you want that type of specialty. Manitou and Marz, if you want to make sure you cover most of your other options. Just don't waste your money on Fox. Nothing wrong with Fox. It's just not warranted, when you could have a really nice Reba for half the price (unless you can find a new Fox for around $400 - $500).

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    It's awesome. I love it. Huge difference between it and the RS XC 28 that came on my bike. The Reba is lighter, stronger, stiffer, and way more plush. No problems with it whatsoever (I've had it a little over a year now). Only thing I do is check the PSI every now and then to make sure it stays where I want it to be, and ride. I wanted a really nice fork that I could just set-n-forget, and the Reba has been excellent at that so far. It's a great match for Talon. If you're still running that same stock fork that came on your bike, then I think you'd find that you'd like the Reba much better, too.

Look at other forks though, like you're doing, before you make a final decision. SID, if you want that type of specialty. Manitou and Marz, if you want to make sure you cover most of your other options. Just don't waste your money on Fox. Nothing wrong with Fox. It's just not warranted, when you could have a really nice Reba for half the price (unless you can find a new Fox for around $400 - $500).
    Thank you for your input - I appreciate it very much

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Based on this description I would go with the Reba, I'm 2" taller and about 20 pounds heavier and the Reba is great.
    DirtDevil...and, I thank you for the information provided too -