mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Talon 29er vs Trance x4 26er. Thoughts?

I've been riding a 2011 Talon 1 for a year and have the opportunity to pick up a Trance x4 26er.

I haven't really had a lot of experience with full suspension bikes, just a 10 minute jaunt around the block. So plush. I've been riding XC, but some trails nearby are more free-ride and I'd like to get more into bigger drops and faster, steeper descents.

Anyone make a similar switch? Is this as big as an upgrade as what I'm hoping, or no?

mtbr member
    I've owned the 2011 Trance x3 for about a year and picked up a 2011 Talon 1 about a month ago.

I'm not sure which fork is on the x4, but anything is better than that Suntour Raidon POS. Obvious fork issue aside, I find that the Trance climbs & accelerates faster. I haven't noticed a huge difference in maneuverability. (The footprint of the Trance is actually longer than the Talon) I prefer the brakes on the Talon, and I also feel like the Talon is more stable on downhill sections, but the Trance is more fun. You'll start seeking out bumps and drops just to feel that FS landing. The biggest difference is the fact you can do long rides on a FS all-mountain bike like the Trance and feel less beat up at the end of the day. The amount of effort it takes to climb obstacles, absorb bumps, and generally move through terrain is greatly reduced.

I just posted a review here where I compare the two: Nor'Easter Backcountry: 2011 Giant Talon 29er 1

Bottom line: You might notice a huge difference with the Talon with only a $500-$600 investment in a new fork. That said, whenever I have a choice between the two I'm taking the Trance out of the shed.

I hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the input. I've tossed around the idea of getting a new fork for the Talon, but compared to my friend's Suntour XCM v3 on the Revel, I think the Talon rides nicely. At the same time, I feel like I get more air with the Revel, despite it's heavier weight. So I figured, 26" wheels and FS with a series of great reviews behind it can't be bad.

The way I look at it, I could upgrade the fork for $500, and upgrade to a FS ride later. ChainReactionCycles is having some sweet sales on QR15mm 100mm travel forks. I could also replace components as they break...

Or sell the Talon and pay the difference of $600 and end up with the grey x4

Then there is the option of just saving the money and using it towards gas for longer trips.

Decisions, decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by noreasterbackcountry View Post

Bottom line: You might notice a huge difference with the Talon with only a $500-$600 investment in a new fork. That said, whenever I have a choice between the two I'm taking the Trance out of the shed.

I hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have a 2011 X4 and just love it. For the price and what the bike is you really can't beat. Granted I've never rode at 29er so I can't give you comparison but if the price is right on the X4 I would go for it. You have a great frame to build around if you decide to swap parts out but even the stock Giant shock is not bad at all but the fork is a tad heavy and wouldn't hurt with upgrading if you can afford to do so.