mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Talon 1 better buy at +$800 over talon 5?

Is it cost effective to buy a talon 1 vs a talon 5 and updating as you go along? I mean were talking about $800 difference. I figure u can buy alot of stuff with $800. Looking at 27.5 model. I got a few months before I really need to buy, so if I find a use bike then problem solved. Problem is I need a size small or medium so not sure what the chance of that is. Maybe i can find a 29er and change out the wheel size if I don't like it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Definitely go for the 1. The Talon 1 has well over $800 of improvements compared to the Talon 5.
    The XT (waaaaay higher than the Acera) derailleur alone costs around $130, the XC30 shock will be night and day compared to the Suntour fork. Along with that, you'll also get a 10 speed drivetrain over an 8 speed, decent hydraulic brakes (have them on my 2014 Talon 29er 1) over mechanicals, an external bearing crankset (which is stronger and will last longer than the square taper found on the Talon 5), better double wall rims, and better tires. The Talon 1 will also be a lot lighter than the Talon 5, simply because the components are lighter. (the frame SHOULD be the same).
    If you were to upgrade the Talon 5 to the same specs as the 1, it would cost you approximately a grand.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by ~DisPosal~; 01-03-2014 at 02:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I am seriously considering buying a Talon 1 (27.5) to replace my 26 hardtail Cannondale, which was just stolen. I really would prefer another 26, but no one seems to make one. I REALLY don't want a 29er. Is there any reason I should not buy the Talon 1? It is a bit more expensive than I would like, but not intolerably so.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowfin View Post
    Is it cost effective to buy a talon 1 vs a talon 5 and updating as you go along? I mean were talking about $800 difference. I figure u can buy alot of stuff with $800. Looking at 27.5 model. I got a few months before I really need to buy, so if I find a use bike then problem solved. Problem is I need a size small or medium so not sure what the chance of that is. Maybe i can find a 29er and change out the wheel size if I don't like it?
    I bought the highest (aka best) level I could get when I bought my Talon. Guess what? I've since upgraded everything on it except for the drive train and headset. And, I'm studying on doing all of that pretty soon. If/when I do that, the only thing left on my bike that would be original is the raw frame. Depends on what YOU wanna do... From your initial post, sounds like you like to upgrade stuff like I have done. If so, then consider getting the cheaper level bike, and upgrading from there with the money you save. As someone else mentioned, the frames on both levels "should be" identical anyway...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would probably opt forthe low end and accept the drivetrain and run it till it breaks. But the good part about the lower 1 is you can pick your upgrade. Which may be a better fork than the rockshox xc30 , you could grab a reba or a xfusion fork slide rl2. Then a 350 dollar wheelset, and maybe a carbon handlebar.
    Which would put you in a 15 mm thru axle 32mm stanchion, lots of adjustments and qualitty in fork, and a lighter moreflickable front endwith lighter wheel. I would say wheels beat drivetrain.