Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Talk me into 1x! Trance

So my 14 trance (2) is completely disassembled down to it's front triangle. If i'm going to leave the front derailleur off, now would be the time.

What is my lowest cost, best option for trying out a 1x setup? I have the SLX cassette which as i understand it doesn't let me change out my lowest cog for something larger? Is it as simple as buying an XT cassette and a proper 1x front cog, and calling it a day? Will my SLX shadow + derailleur work as is?

Point me in the right direction peoples!

mtbr member
    Best is x01/x1.
    All 1x10 conversions are a band aid. You can keep your okd crankset and just get cassette, derailleur and shifter.

I used to have Shimano 2x10 and 1x10 but clutch kept breaking and 1x10 isn't enough for everyday riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

AW: Talk me into 1x! Trance

Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    Best is x01/x1.
    All 1x10 conversions are a band aid. You can keep your okd crankset and just get cassette, derailleur and shifter.

I used to have Shimano 2x10 and 1x10 but clutch kept breaking and 1x10 isn't enough for everyday riding.
    ^ that

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just but a cheap wide narrow 30 and try it out, doesn't take long to find out if you need to change to a 28 or 32 or if you want to go back to a 2x10

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Maybe I should just switch to a smaller big sprocket on my 2x setup? I realize I'd lose a bit of top end but I think it might make the bike more manageable

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Some of my friends have done it, they remove the front derailleur and front shifter, put on a wide narrow say 30 but leave the 24 installed, if your ever in an emergency that you need the 24 you just manually hand shift it. That way you have weight savings but don't really lose anything

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    xxx]
    Last edited by Northern Soul; 12-23-2014 at 12:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    You can do it on SLX, just takes some encouragement.

OneUp Components International - SLX HG-81 and XG-1080 Cassette Special Instructions

I've been running 30t NW with the standard SLX cassette and I can pretty much climb anything. My 40t oneup cog and rad cage should arrive in the next day or two so I'll let you know how cutting my cassette apart goes

cowbell
    Wolftooth Components makes narrow/wide rings and a variety of large rear cogs (40 or 42 tooth) specifically tuned to shimano cassettes so they shift better. You remove the 15 or 17 tooth cog and space, install the larger cog, and it gives you a bit better range. If you go with the 40 or 42 tooth, you can go with 32 up front. If you just slap a narrow/wide ring on the front and go from there, use the 30 or a 28, depending on what your terrain is like. On my Anthem, I ran a 36 tooth front ring for a year with the stock cassette (11-36) and it was fine except on super long climbs (10 miles, 3000 feet) or really long rides that involved lots of steep/technical climbs towards the end. The 36 tooth front was a limitation of the crankset (120BCD) and I recently picked up an X0 crank, and went direct mount with a 32 tooth and the 40 tooth GC. That's nearly as much granny as the Anthem comes with, and all I'll ever need. The only place I'll ever spin out the 32/11 combo will be on forest service roads.

Do it. You won't regret it.

Super Dad
    i have the 40t on my slx cassette, its really not hard to do. go 1x with a 30t as stated, med cage rd and a 40/42 on the back. im a horrible climber but the 30t/40t combo seems to do fine for me on my trance. stick with shimano too
    2006 Monocog Flight 26
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5
    2014 Trek Crossrip

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Didn't realize you could cut the SLX cassette up! That looks easy enough. Seems like the whole package of front and rear sprockets as well as a rad cage runs in around 200 bucks. Not too shabby

After watching Neko Mulally finish fourth at the Hafjell DH world cup with no chain, i'm a big believer that unless you are racing down fire roads, focusing on staying off the brakes is more important than getting pedal strokes in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Left the stock cassette and got a 30t raceface upfront. Just about perfect for what I ride in the W. North Carolina area.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I did the rad conversion yesterday and it all went smoothly. Cutting the cassette was no problem and the smaller hanger of the rad cage will definitely keep the derailleur out of trouble...

But... on the trail I could barely notice the bigger cog. Tbh as said above the stock cassette gives a pretty good range when paired with a 30t chainring, so I don't think I'd bother with the rad conversion if I was doing it all again

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    How do you know you don't miss the big gear if you never rode 1X without it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Huh? I rode normal cassette 1x for about 4 months

mtbr member
    Obviously depends on what you're riding.
    If you don't face steep extended climbs, then regular 1x10 would work fine if you're in decent shape.

I used to run 1x10 with 30T in front on my 29er and it was pretty good for 95% riding I did, but sometimes faced with steep climbs it was a handful, especially on longer rides when you're fatigued from riding 20-40km with 1000m elevation before, and then you have to climb a decent hill

I also spun out sometimes when going downhill. Not to mention I had clutch mechanism break twice on XT M786+ RD.

That's why I suggested 1x11 from SRAM.
    So far it's been flawless with much wider range (almost as wide as 2x10) and with 32T in front, it's perfect for Trance.

X01 shifts better/smoother than XT, I haven't dropped a chain yet, it's quieter than XT with better lever action and ergonomics.
    The only thing that XT has over X01 is rapid downshift (and not just upshift), so on SRAM you can only downshift single gear per lever movement.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    What spacers were needed to get the chain line right using factory 2x SLX cranks?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    On my XT crank (2014 27.5 1), the previous owner of my bike just bolted the raceface gear to the inside face of the crank.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Not that anyone cares but I think 1x11 is the only right way to go 1x unless you have really flat terrain and maybe some of you do. Around here, the 1x10 that my bike came with was nowhere close to enough. Actually let me clarify.... It was enough for 90% of what I encounter but I regularly encountered that other 10% on my usual rides that would have left me walking the bike for a short period. My entire goal was to have a bike that did everything well that I could take on any trail. I did not want to be limited going uphill even if the walk was under 5 minutes. Now I've got the best of all worlds. I haven't found anything I can't get up with the 1x11 (30/42), traction becomes a problem before I need more gear. I will spin out on some fire roads but it's fast enough that I rarely pedaled at that speed anyway on my old 3x the Epic came with because I was going fast enough to be nervous without pedaling.

I also like having a bail out gear. Once in a while I want to go on a leisure ride on the same trails I normally take all out, so instead of grunting through an uphill section standing in a taller gear I'll sit and spin. The 1x11 allows me to have this option. I would like to see a poll of the people that went 1x10, how many are content and how many want to or have converted to 1x11.
    '08 Hardrock HRXC
    '09 Epic Comp
    '14 Trance SX -

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I agree that 1x11 is much better than 1x10....it is also painfully more expensive than dropping the front derailler and geting a new front ring. I'm gonna stick with 1x10 for a bit, but I do plan on 1x11 one day

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 6_Myles View Post
    On my XT crank (2014 27.5 1), the previous owner of my bike just bolted the raceface gear to the inside face of the crank.
    One-up Does include spacers with their front sprocket, so bolting it directly on probably isn't the best way to go. They have a ton of information on their webpage to do with their products, but one would think the same information would apply to any narrow wide 2x conversion. I can't guarantee that though so use this information at your own risk! OneUp Components Canada - Narrow Wide Chainrings (104 BCD)

For the record i have no intentions of running 1x with the stock cassette gearing. I'm either going to cut up my slx cassette and add in a 40 tooth and 16 tooth sprocket (and i think i need the RAD cage too then) or i'll invest in a full SRAM setup. I don't think my xt shadow plus derailleur is the ideal shimano derailleur to be using for the setup, so if i decide to upgrade that as well it might be worth switching over to SRAM parts. I don't really want to have to buy new cranks as well though :S

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I looked a little more carefully at it last night and it looks like raceface has built in spacers on the ring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That is correct. I have 30T nws on both my bikes and my older son's. The little guy still needs a granny.
    2012 Specialized Camber Comp
    2014 Kona Taro
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I have a a 15 trance 2 .... Can you guys give me a list of what to buy to switch to 1x?..

Can I use the SLX crank Arm?? Just buy a 32t front chain ring??

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just the ring. I reused the bolts.

The crank is fine, and I didn't bother shortening the chain. Plugged the cable grommet with some silicone.
    2012 Specialized Camber Comp
    2014 Kona Taro
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast