mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Swinger 4 way and VT help needed

I decided today to change the travel to 5" on the 03 VT1. Man, I can't get the shock setup now. According to Giants web page I should be at 50-75% of my body weight on the SPV chamber. I weigh 205 so that would make it about 135 if I go with 65%.

Now, I adjust my main for riding weight - 20lbs so that would be about 195 and I am running maybe 8% sag. If I dump the spv chamber then at 195 in the main I am @ 25% sag. If I put the 135 back in the spv then I loose most of the sag.

So, I am now down to 140 thereabouts on the main to get 25% sag with 135 in the spv chamber. This just doesn't seem right. I also have the volume adjustment 2.5 to 3 turns in.

Any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hmm, i'm not exactly sure but i would say that you should adjust your spv to the amount that you wanted it on first, and then adjust the main chamber according to the amount of sag you want, not weight minus 20psi. so just play around with the main chamber psi after you've dialed in your spv to 25% sag i would think.

hope that helps, i'm having a bit of trouble with my 4-way on a different post as well :S

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    yeah, i am having probs with mine.... losing air quick

anyway, i am dropping it off to where i bought it from.... so they can check it out

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. VT
    hmm, i'm not exactly sure but i would say that you should adjust your spv to the amount that you wanted it on first, and then adjust the main chamber according to the amount of sag you want, not weight minus 20psi. so just play around with the main chamber psi after you've dialed in your spv to 25% sag i would think.

hope that helps, i'm having a bit of trouble with my 4-way on a different post as well :S

Yep...sounds about right...I'll give it a try here in a bit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I think I got it pretty close now. I adjusted the SPV with 2.75 turns...neg chamber at around 140 and the pos chamber has something like 150 now. This gives me 25% sag and I get about 1/8" bob coming out of the saddle and I can lie with that. This is based on 212 riding weight.

Going from 5.7 to 5" really stiffened things up a bit. The guys I ride with suggested going down to 5" because I always ride at 100mm in front. They say it balances out better. I have no idea but seeing how they all race pro XC I just listen. I am still not sure what balanced means though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have ridden at both 5" and 5.75" rear with about 105mm up front. I found that I liked the feeling of the bike better at 5.75"- seems to steer a little quicker and rear is better over studder bumps- anyway I am smoother (read faster) at this setting.

Also the difference in the pressures needed between the two travel settings was fairly large. At 195lb in the 5" setting I ran 135 psi main / 115 psi spv, in the 5.75" setting I am running 160 psi main / 135 psi spv.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by VT no 1 2 or 3
    I have ridden at both 5" and 5.75" rear with about 105mm up front. I found that I liked the feeling of the bike better at 5.75"- seems to steer a little quicker and rear is better over studder bumps- anyway I am smoother (read faster) at this setting.

Also the difference in the pressures needed between the two travel settings was fairly large. At 195lb in the 5" setting I ran 135 psi main / 115 psi spv, in the 5.75" setting I am running 160 psi main / 135 psi spv.
    Interesting observations. Well I would agree on the HUGE pressure differances. I just spent a bit of time working on it and think I am pretty close. I am at 25% sag now and I backed the nut down to 13/4 turns. Seems to be close to what I had at 5.7 but not sure yet. I do know that it seems much stiffer now. That might explain why at 5.7 it handles stutter bumps better?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Well, the VT 1 is back at 5.7" and I am happy again. I weigh 205 and with my gear I figure 212-215. I put about 150 in the neg chanber and am running 160 in the front for 30% sag with riding gear. I put 2.5 turns on the nut.

What a differance. This bike rides so much better at 5.7".

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Everyone seems to agree that the 5.75" setting is where the bike works best. Also did you remember to put some more locktite on the shock bolt?

XC rider/racer

Air loss

Quote Originally Posted by wotzapollohimalaya
    yeah, i am having probs with mine.... losing air quick

anyway, i am dropping it off to where i bought it from.... so they can check it out
    According to Manitou, generally if youre experiencing air loss from the Swinger it`ll be as a result of a prob with the Schrader valve core...this should be a quick fix for an LBS to simply take out and replace the problem core...hopefully you`ll be back riding with no air loss very quickly.