mtbr member

Swinger 4-way upside down in VT frame

Hi all.
    I just picked up a 2003 VT frameset with the swinger 4-way air shock. I noticed that all people have the swinger mounted upside down (factory default from Giant).
    I was wondering: by switching the mounting hardware from top to bottom, the swinger looks like it could be mounted the other way.
    this would give me several advantages:
    1) the lettering on the shock will be right side up. (yay)
    2) It will be MUCH easier to access the air valves for both the main spring and the piggy back reservoir.

Is there a reason that nobody has done this? Is it bad for the shock/bike?
    Will it not fit? I'd like to try it, but I figured I'd see if anybody had any expertise/experience with this.
    thanks for your help.

Combat Wombat

Not real sure....

Quote Originally Posted by TrailBurner
    Hi all.
    I just picked up a 2003 VT frameset with the swinger 4-way air shock. I noticed that all people have the swinger mounted upside down (factory default from Giant).
    I was wondering: by switching the mounting hardware from top to bottom, the swinger looks like it could be mounted the other way.
    this would give me several advantages:
    1) the lettering on the shock will be right side up. (yay)
    2) It will be MUCH easier to access the air valves for both the main spring and the piggy back reservoir.

Is there a reason that nobody has done this? Is it bad for the shock/bike?
    Will it not fit? I'd like to try it, but I figured I'd see if anybody had any expertise/experience with this.
    thanks for your help.
    What you mean by upside down. I have a 2003 VT-1 and the Swinger 4-way is mounted just like the one on the website. How is this a factory default?

http://www.giantbicycle.com/us/030.0...817&lYear=2003

The 2 or 3 other 2003 VT's I have seen, are mounted this way as well and the lettering is right side up. If you do decide to try moving the shock around, I would make sure that you bleed all the air out of the shock first and then move the swingarm through its complete travel to make sure that it clears the SPV chamber before actually riding it.

Brian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianU
    What you mean by upside down. I have a 2003 VT-1 and the Swinger 4-way is mounted just like the one on the website. How is this a factory default?

http://www.giantbicycle.com/us/030.0...817&lYear=2003
    what I meant was, since that's the way it comes stock form giant, I'm calling it the default orientation. Your link illustrates perfectly what I'm describing.

The 2 or 3 other 2003 VT's I have seen, are mounted this way as well and the lettering is right side up.
    I was holding it in my hand and I'm surprised that if yours is mounted as shown on the giant website, that your lettering is right side up.

If you do decide to try moving the shock around, I would make sure that you bleed all the air out of the shock first and then move the swingarm through its complete travel to make sure that it clears the SPV chamber before actually riding it. Brian
    Good idea.

Here is a quick photochop of what I'm trying to describe. When I was studying the actual frame and shock last night, it looked like it would work just fine.
    (even though the photoshop pic looks like the shock will hit agaiunst something)
    This pic also illustrates why the spv reservoir would be easier to access.
    I haven't seen any VT's with the shock in this orientation.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I am interested in finding out the answer cause it would make seat post clearance better.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I thought of that seatpost bonus as well.
    I'm going to do it to my bike relatively soon, so I'll post what I find out.

Still, nobody has any opinion on why Giant mounts the shock that way?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have tried it and found out that the bushing on the top are diffrent than the one on the bottom. It will not work unless you make some bushings. I have seen it fliped upside down in the giant cataloge. but have not called them and confirm it.

mtbr member
    I wish you would've posted that an hour ago!

I just tried it and the fittings are not the same size.
    So after trying to force it and eventually getting the fittings in,
    it still didn't work b/c the top portion is too wide to fit in the frame.
    Dang.

I have it back in the old way with nothing to show for my efforts but a few extra scratches on the shock.

At least I gained some wisdom, right?

(and you can all learn from my experience. Hey, that's what these forums are for, right?)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I talked to someone in the UK (try posting on singletrackworld) who had done this. He got some custom bushings made up and also ha to dremel away a small part of the upper mount on the frame.
    Luckily I don't need to do it as I have a large frame with lots of seatpost room!
    Paul

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hey, darn, i should have checked the forums earlier, i tried this myself about a month ago and i had a post about it a while ago i believe, i had discovered the exact same thing about the different sizes haha, but it should have been possible, and would have been better for seatpost clearance, pump accessibility etc.
    well i guess everybody learned something then haha