mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Swinger 3-way warranted for a 4-way

I own an 03 VT2 and recently discovered that my 4 way Swinger failed under warranty. LBS arranged for the replacement. Subsequently, Manitou sent out a 3 way. Besides the fact that my LBS failed to mention the difference after install, should I expect a difference in performance? Is there a difference in value? Does anybody think I got screwed?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

At very least you should get financial compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdlegs
    I own an 03 VT2 and recently discovered that my 4 way Swinger failed under warranty. LBS arranged for the replacement. Subsequently, Manitou sent out a 3 way. Besides the fact that my LBS failed to mention the difference after install, should I expect a difference in performance? Is there a difference in value? Does anybody think I got screwed?
    It was a mistake by either the LBS or Giant. I'd just ask for them to get the right one.

mtbr member
    To me it's a downgrade, you should ask for compensation or a new 4 way. The LBS should take responsibility for their mistake.

26er

Probably what they had in stock

I blew a seal on a 4-way on my vt1 about a month and a hlaf ago and giant would not have any 4-ways until april so they offered me a three way or a four way coil. I decided to wait for a 4-way and picked up a 4-way on ebay to hold me over. I figure when I get the warrenty shock from giant I will sell one off.

So it sounds like they just sent you a three way because they had it in stock. The bike shock should have told you though, mine gave me the option.

Chris
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    To me it's a downgrade, you should ask for compensation or a new 4 way. The LBS should take responsibility for their mistake.
    I agree now after looking at Answers web site. Definitely a downgrade and would be par for the course for this LBS. With all the problems I have had with this LBS, I should have never walked out of there without challenging them. But after they held my bike hostage for 2 weeks, I just wanted it back.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for the knowledge bro. I am headed back to the shop to see what's up.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Thanks for the knowledge bro. I am headed back to the shop to see what's up.
    All the new VT's come with 3 way so maybe Giant did not have any 4ays available??
    Either way I would ask for something, but the LBS might get screwed over in the procces.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Actually for a warranty issue for a Manitou rear shock do not go through Giant, It is much easier to warranty it straight with Anser/Manitou.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Quote Originally Posted by ILxcMTNbiker
    Actually for a warranty issue for a Manitou rear shock do not go through Giant, It is much easier to warranty it straight with Anser/Manitou.
    I had a Manitou fork warranteed and my LBS went to them directly. Giant was not involved at all. I had an upgrade option and the LBS explained the deal to me. Sounds like your LBS should have let you know what was up!
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRocker
    I had a Manitou fork warranteed and my LBS went to them directly. Giant was not involved at all. I had an upgrade option and the LBS explained the deal to me. Sounds like your LBS should have let you know what was up!
    Was just wonderin about the ride difference between a 4way coil and a 4way air would be on my vt i weight 190lbs.?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeymike
    Was just wonderin about the ride difference between a 4way coil and a 4way air would be on my vt i weight 190lbs.?
    The coil would offer a more supple ride because it is always active. This isn't a bad thing. The drawback is additional weight.

Doug

26er

the four way air is more configurable

When you get the coil you get a coil rated for a specfic weight range while with the air you can make those minor adjustments.

Coils are cool for big bikes or if you just want to get on and ride and not worry about it. I have a full coil bike and love to be able to just jump on it and go launch things and not worry about the shocks blowing up!
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail