Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ls1geezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    76

    New question here. Swapping out P-XC to ???

    I have the urge to swap out the 26" P-XC wheels on my 2011 Trance X2. 70% of my riding takes place on dry hard-pack trails and logging roads, the other 30% is normally on the road riding to and from the trails. I weigh about 180 with gear and backpack. No jumps bigger than a few inches. I'm probably going to switch my tires to Kenda SB8 or something similar.
    My question is for folks that have already switched wheels/tires. Did you find and noticeable difference good or bad and what wheel tire combo did you go with.
    This is what the guys at ProWheelBuilder.com suggested when I told them I wanted to pay about $1000 :-
    FRONT WHEEL SUMMARY

    Drillings
    32
    Rim
    STANS NO TUBES ZTR CREST DISK BRAKE BLACK FRONT RIM $88.00
    26in
    Stans Tape and Valve Tubeless Converstion Kit for 1 wheel Installed + $11.00
    Hub
    CHRIS KING ISO BLUE DISC 15MM HUB $213.00
    Thru 15mm
    Spokes
    DT SWISS COMPETITION 14/15/14 GAUGE BLACK SPOKES $1.72
    Lacing Pattern
    Three Cross
    Nipples
    DT SWISS BLACK 14G 12MM BRASS NIPPLE $0.20
    Weight
    767.16 grams
    Price
    $373.44
    REAR WHEEL SUMMARY

    Drillings
    32
    Rim
    STANS NO TUBES ZTR CREST DISK BRAKE BLACK REAR RIM $88.00
    26in
    Stans Tape and Valve Tubeless Converstion Kit for 1 wheel Installed + $11.00
    Hub
    CHRIS KING ISO BLUE DISC REAR HUB $404.00
    *QR 135mm MTB
    *Shimano/SRAM 8,9 or 10spd
    *No Skewer
    Spokes
    DT SWISS COMPETITION 14/15/14 GAUGE BLACK SPOKES $1.72
    Lacing Pattern
    Three Cross
    Nipples
    DT SWISS BLACK 14G 12MM BRASS NIPPLE $0.20
    Weight
    896.16 grams
    Price
    $564.44

    Thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice.

  2. #2
    DFMBA.org
    Reputation: MTBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,719
    IMO, the quoted wheels are more than you would need. If I were buying based on your situation I would go the the Stan's website and order a set of these:

    ZTR Arch EX 26" Stock Wheelset

    I ride with Arch 29" wheels and I weigh 20lbs more than you do (without gear). You probably don't need the CK hubs as the Stan's-branded hubs are very good. With your riding style, I'd pick this in a heartbeat.

    Edit: I did notice a difference when I switched from the oem wheels on my bike, but they weren't Giant wheels.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •