mtbr member
    May 2013

New question here. Suspension pressure and setup for Giant Anthem X 29er 2 (2012)

I'm a full suspension n00b and just got a 2012 Giant Anthem X 29er 2 (2012). It has the Maestro suspension and a "Monarch RT" rear shock.
    I've searched for manuals like the "Maestro quick start Guide" to learn how to use the shock pump to set the sag but I can't find any information about the red and gold dials and what they mean. I see on the forum about setting the clicks but don't really have a point of reference. I'm also not sure what position these dials should be in when I set the "sag". My shock looks like the pick below. Thanks!
    Suspension pressure and setup for Giant Anthem X 29er 2 (2012)-rshox_mon_rt.jpg

Your Best Friend

Re: Suspension pressure and setup for Giant Anthem X 29er 2 (2012)

For now, ignore the dials. Sag is set by your weight. Pretty typical for the Anthem... do about 10-15psi less than your weight.

Now. The red dial is rebound. This adjusts how quickly the shock returns to full extension after a bump. To much rebound and the bike will feel like it is bucking you off, to little and the bike will feel dead.

The gold dial is for compression. This sets how much of a hit the rear will take before the shock fully functions. It is not a lock out. Too much and the rear will not feel very soft and your small bump compliance will suffer. Too open and the rear may feel to bouncy, especially if coupled with to little rebound damping.

This is an excellent shock for the Anthem BTW. Pretty hard to screw it up and the bike rides super nice if you get it adjusted right.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides