mtbr member
    Feb 2004

suspension differences

I have been removed from the mountain bike seen for so time now so forgive me if this is a dumb question. What is the differences between the NRS suspension and the anthem's. What I remember the NRS was a pure racing steed. Does the anthem fit the bill or would the opinoin be that the NRS is still a highly rated racer?

attending to my vices
    go to giant's website and read up on their current bikes. Anthem is their xc racer.
    OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Advances in shock technology, suspension design and ..

...perception of what is efficient... Are responsible for turning the NRS into the Anthem.

Couple of years ago hardly any professional racers used rear suspension, if the rear was not dead stiff, it was robbing power.
    The NRS provided a suspension design which remained locked up until a big hit. So it was not very plush or sensitive to smaller nuisances on the trail. But provided the ride we thought was more advantageous.

Riders have realized the advantage of a suspension responsive not only to big hits but also to every obstacle big or small, however the suspension must cancel out the pedal induced "bobbing". Much bobbing does interfere with the amount of energy that gets delivered to the wheels.

So, engineers have come up with suspension set ups that help prevent bobbing (anti-squat) while allowing the shock to be free to absorb all hits big and small. Manifestations of these set ups are Giant's Maestro design found on the Anthem, Virtual Pivot Point set up used by INTENSE and Santa Cruz, and the DW-LInk used by IRON HORSE and IBIS.

Shocks have also become much more sophisticated. No longer is the NRS insensitive geometry necessary to prevent rider induced shock movement. You can turn a simple single pivot design, which offers little anti-squat, into an efficient pedaler. Modern shocks can differentiate between the weight of the rider pushing down versus the impact of an obstacle on the wheel pushing up.

So if a rider so chooses, he can have an NRS type ride (stiff), or with the flip of a lever he can have a superbly plush ride.

The NRS has been surpassed

Members who have read this thread: 0