mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Suspension biff seeks guidance!

Folks,

having ordered a stock X2 3 weeks ago I had the misfortune to learn from the shop that it won't be unitl mid-march until she arrives. This is due to them waiting for the new batch which has the riser bar as standard.

In the meantime however, if someone would be patient enough, I need the idiots guide to both suspension fork and rear shock. As mentioned elsewhere, in 14 years of riding I've only ever known 'rigid' and so need a walk through, talk through of suspension principles, moreover, information that directly relates to the Fox F100RL fork and the RP2 shock.

I'm after a beginners guide to how they operate, set up, maintenance and general running tips. I'm 6' tall, 33" inseam and 190lbs in weight.

Thanks in advance,

Buzz.

CAPTIN HARDCORE
    The Bike should come with the manuals for the rear and front, this will show how to set up the sag and air pressures. I have a 08 X1and they even gave me a shock pump and DVD/PDF manual. So if you want to start reading up on how to set it up, go to the MFGs website and they will have all the set up/ tuning tips you will need. One thing you may have to look into once you get the bike is getting a bigger rear spring depending on what it comes with.
    [SIZE=3][B]Chillin...Riding I hopeB][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    X2 what??? Reign X2, Trance X2, Anthem X2??? Ordered all three???

Just so happens that some of us know that Giant is switching to risers on the Anthem X by popular demand in the UK so Iíll save you the trouble and announce that you are getting a very nice Anthem X2...

mtbr member
    Actually a bit of pre-reading is better off than none,as you know. Yet in the case of the manuals that come stock with the bike - such as the fox manuals; I would say that you are better off sourcing from the web as to how they are supposed to be set up in an advanced manner because the manuals really blow...graphically and informationally.

The stock bike manual that comes with your spankingly new bike is fine for basic set ups, however, for more advanced set ups, you are better off not without the fox manual, but with another source namely their website, here and MANY other places as well as a google search.

Stock Manual: Link
    Not quite a database but some info: link
    Picture thread: Link
    Fox Tech Center: Link

Basic settings as a start:
    Front Squish: 90 PSI (start from roughly 5 to 7 clicks of rebound from full in/slow).

Rear Squish: 240-260 PSI (Approximately 4-5 clicks in from full slow).

Using something to lean against (a wall), pull back the black rubber gromit up to the edge of the seal on the rear shock before putting all of your weight and sitting down normally on the seat, then measure your sag, which should be about 25~30%...translating to about 14~16mm.

All of this is subject to your weight input either with or without normal riding (normal riding gear does drastically change from person to person) gear.

If you want some "FrameSkin" for the bike to help protect it, search this forum for Fishboy:
    fishboy2807

There is also a database of set ups for the Anthem here somewhere...
    Last edited by Sim2u; 02-09-2009 at 09:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thank you people, I'm extremely grateful.

Buzz.