Inspector Gadget

Supersize my Trance X or upsize?

Got a 2011 Tx2 26. It's a badass bike and I love it. However I want more of that plushy feely feeling, but I still gotta climb. It's got the float 125 fork and rp2 shock. I'm not sure how, but the head angle on mine is 67*. I've measured it several ways and even done some trig... It's 67. I like where it's at and can see a height adjustable fork making me happier.

I've been thinking about putting on a longer fork (new fox talas ctd 160) and the next size up shock (7.5x2") that I've read some have done. Or maybe the dhx air? Anybody done that? The rear of mine feels great mostly... but I have bottomed it a couple times, one time I endo'd from it. I despise the fork though, it's very harsh and kills my shoulders on long challenging rides like today.

Today I just rode it 18mi and 3100' vert on some of the narliest of gnar. The last 5mi is all downhill and the more I ride the more I hate my fork. It's harsh as hell and I barely have it at 50psi. This weekend I'll ride some of the smoothest and flowing single track you might ever see. If i see a jump I'll hit it, but big jumps/gaps/drops are not my thing. Just climbing monster hills, shredding rocky terrain and twisty smooth single track.

I'm only going to have one bike... Is a pimped out Trance going to keep me happy? Or am I kidding myself and should step up to true 6"+ bike?
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I have been riding the Trance X with a TALAS 36 (100/130/160) and pushed rear shock (stock e-e) and I wouldn't think of riding it in any other iteration. Chain guide, 780mm bars, 50 mm stem, 650b up front, and 2.5 dh minion on the back. I love it to pieces....but I just pulled the trigger on a dedicated 650b....
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Inspector Gadget
    What did you ask for from PUSH? I got 745 bars, 50 stem, big tires, bash, dropper blah blah blah. I'm interested in 650b but don't know of anything local to test out. I had a HT 29er but didn't like it, I love how much more agile my Tx is. So I'm not looking to go that direction.
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by abeckstead View Post
    Or am I kidding myself and should step up to true 6"+ bike?
    This.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Well, I installed Proshox's offset upper bushing set in my 08 trance with a 7.5"X2" RP-23.
    Was a really cost effective improvement to the rear of that bike. Way plusher, & slacked out the head angle a bit more as well.
    Makes it more of an overall trail bike, rather than a cross country ride, & added even more to the zoke 44 (140 travel) ride.
    & I do have a 6" + reign for the rougher stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    If you want a 6" bike, buy a 6 " bike... Hacking together a trance to run a 160mm fork is a fools errand in my opinion. It'll never be the bike you want.

On the other hand, if you generally like your bike but really want a fork that rides better, and gives slightly more travel - then I don't think its unreasonable to throw on a 140mm fork. But going beyond that, and screwing with the rear suspension will result in a frankenbike that won't resell well and it'll never be as good as proper 150/160mm ride.

That's one mans opinion...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    That's why the TALAS is the way to go.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    No. An adjustable Revelation would be the way to go.