Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Suggestion: Bike for XC/ possible future free ride

Hey, read a lot before, but needed a question answered- so I came here. I've ridden a good amount of XC for fun, and possibly will transition to free riding, though I'm not there yet. So, due to various issues, had to sell my old bike, move coasts, and I'm looking to get a new one.

So, I'm working for a bike tour company right now, might not be for much longer. They have an exclusive contract with Giant, and the owner said he could get good deals on bikes. Naturally, I'd like to get one relatively quickly. One complexity is I might not be able to choose from the catalog and order whatever (discount might only be on bulk, which means limited store offerings). So, then: suggestions on a good bike, and the pertinent info.

I'm about 5'11, 170. Done routine maintenance on bikes, and done more advanced a few times with watchful friends. Would like to pull my own and do it myself; no tools over here, but time and willingness to get tools and learn. Ridden hardtail almost exclusively, open to either hard-tail or full suspension. Would like a bike that I can learn to maintain (willing to spend hours and hours futzing around), and a quality, durable frame I can smile at 5 years from now (not crap and no carbon frame, carbon components fine). Price is flexible, but cost conscious. Guessing that the discounts might effectively give me 50% more buying power, no more than double . Would like to keep total outlay under $1500- and that number is a big stretch.

So, two parts: one, what bike(s) should I look at if the full catalog is open? I'm willing to buy new components and swap them out, but that needs to be included in total cost.
    Second, problematically, if it is limited to the models he has, your opinions on the Yukon FX 2009, and the Rainier 2006. Yeah, blah, but hey, if they're worthwhile frames to upgrade around, then it beats nothing.

Thanks for the help in advance.

plasma donor
    Rainiers are good bikes, Yukons are decent as well. Niether will stand up to actual freeriding for long. Both are decent trail bikes. Both could use upgrades on wheels and forks. I ride an 03 Rainier, and it's a decent bike.Pic and specs are in my profile.

The 06 spec looks pretty anemic with the BB5 brakes and Powerspline crankset, as opposed to BB7 brakes and FireX crankset on my 03. Both can be upgraded fairly inexpensively, however.

wait...what?
    giant trance...it can handle drops on the trail like a dream...and, once you get into the DH/FR scene, you can upgrade to a reign x or something...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Why not go with a 2nd hand Specialized Enduro or a Scott Ransom or something. That way you can do the trails and they are also pretty capable downhill bikes.

wait...what?
    well, for one, this is in the GIANT thread. As you can see, him posting it here, I think he is looking for a GIANT bike... I hope?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Well ok then, why not go for a Giant Reign. Perhaps instead of criticising other peoples posts, making other suggestions would be more helpful? Who knows?

wait...what?
    Quote Originally Posted by chilledsandwich
    Well ok then, why not go for a Giant Reign. Perhaps instead of criticising other peoples posts, making other suggestions would be more helpful? Who knows?
    I didn't mean to come off as negative, and I made a suggestion...just seemed weird to be posting other brands on the giant thread.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ok, fair, I just felt that a 2nd hand 6 inch travel bike would be more bike and seeing as the Ransom has adjustable rear suspension and the Enduro adjustable front suspension it may be a better bike for the climbing. A Reign is also very good, but in my experience, the other two would be better for the free-ride side that the OP is looking to get into.

mtbr member

upgrage the yukon fx

Yukons are decent as well. Niether will stand up to actual freeriding for long. Both are decent trail bikes. Both could use upgrades on wheels and forks
    i upgraded my giant road bike (ocr-3)

i recently bought the yukon fx, so far, i replaced only tires (took off kenda nevagal) put on 2.4" conti mtn king

the frame is nice, but the components leave much to be desired, the guy that recommend i purchase this particular bike, said it really was not worth upgrading the fork to a fox, also others said don't replace the deraulers, the generally break on mtb, then you replace

any sugestions, are appreciated, i'd like to get a few seasons out of this bike

thanks

jkmacman

plasma donor
    Quote Originally Posted by jkmacman
    i upgraded my giant road bike (ocr-3)

i recently bought the yukon fx, so far, i replaced only tires (took off kenda nevagal) put on 2.4" conti mtn king

the frame is nice, but the components leave much to be desired, the guy that recommend i purchase this particular bike, said it really was not worth upgrading the fork to a fox, also others said don't replace the deraulers, the generally break on mtb, then you replace

any sugestions, are appreciated, i'd like to get a few seasons out of this bike

thanks

jkmacman
    You can get a few seasons out of the bike as is. As far as fork, no reason NOT to upgrade, except cost. Just keep travel reasonable so your geometry doesn't suffer. I've seen several Yukons with Pikes up front. Front derailer aint critical at all. Rear I've found LX to be both sturdy and precise enough for anything I'll ever throw at it. As far as it breaking, one would hope the hanger gives first. That's what they are designed to do. I have 5 years on one LX rear, and 10 years on another. Shifters are fine from Deore on up.

Wheels depend on the actual riding you do. No need for FR wheelset on a bike that never sees more than aggressive XC use. No use in ultralight, expensive aluminum spoke wheels unless you're racing, either.

Brakes are also a personal call. My preference is mechanical because of ease of maintenance, especially trailside. I prefer BB7's because of adjustability, power, and especially modulation. Playing with rotor diameter can also yield more tuning ability, whether mech or hydro.

One other option I recommend for a truly versatile AM/trail rig is a drop seatpost. It does wonders for keeping your ride flowing, when you don't have to stop to dick with the QR.

mtbr member

thank you

thanks for info

i like to get the rear derailuer sooner than later

the seat post, i am not sure what you mean 'drop down'

brakes i already have disk on there

Brakes are also a personal call. My preference is mechanical because of ease of maintenance
    $500 for the fork is hard to justify wheels too

last year i wanted to upgrade wheels for my road giant ocr-3, i ended up just getting a whole nother used bike trek 5900 w/mavic, for 1200, it was like getty a frame and campy parts free after cost of wheel

09 BB7 Disc Brake Mtn Front or Rear 160mm Rotor
    this i like to upgrade to, i already had issues with the caliper jammin when i took off front wheel (rather put it back), to stick bike in the car

thanks for all the great info

plasma donor
    http://www.fezzari.com/products/inde...Seatpost/85/42

One of several drop seatposts., and my favorite.

The BB7's are what I run, and I love them. Unlike most mechanicals, they have adjustment for both inboard and outboard pads, which keeps performance dialed. What you want to avoid is squeezing the rotor in to meet the inboard pad. Adjust inboard all the way until it starts to drag, then back it off 1 click. After that, do the same with the outboard pad, and you're set.

Like I said, you can get several seasons as is. The fork would be my first upgrade. I would look for fearures first, before establishing brand. Travel adjust would be my first option. It really opens up tuning options to keep the ride flowing. Another thing to consider is a thru-axel setup. If you want one, you will have to upgrade your front hub at least. Might be better to ride out the Dart until you can afford both at once. Good news is that you can get very decent TA wheelset cheap. The Azonic Outlaw wheelset is a good example. There are alotta options out there, and the more you read up, the better your shopping experience. I won't even get into all the suspension technologies, riding disciplines, etc. If you feel the need to jump on the rear der, go for it. I advise to look into upgrading the cables tho, as that is going to help keep things dialed. An XTR is useless if you can't keep it in adjustment. Good luck bud.

mtbr member

thank you

the yukn fx as it is now is pretty heavy, even by mtb standrards, i'd like to shed a feww pounds if possible

thanks for all the suggestions

Live Free or Ride!
    I got my 2007 Giant Anthem 1 for $1600. With the style of riding you are and are planning on doing I would recommend either a Reign or Trance. Although I would personally get an Anthem, XTC, or Trance and then get a true FR bike when it came to that.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hey guys, apparently I wasn't specific enough: I wanted an idea of your pros and cons of rainier and yukon fx... which you answered, thanks! But the REAL question, and I didn't know at the time, but know now: if I could spend up to ~$2,000 MSRP on Giants (I don't know how much discount I get, but somewhere around half I believe, maybe a little less), what bike would you guys recommend? How different is climbing on a reign vs. a trance? I mostly am interested in the trance, and until I can even get a price quote (communication between boss, Giant, and me is glacial), I don't know the exact discount, hence my uncertainty. But: I am hoping to get a trance, maybe X3, or maybe, just maybe, even a X2. Anyway, any additional help is much appreciated.

mtbr member

he ain't heavy he's my brother (i mean giant fukon fx)

actually i think my yukon fx is a bit heavy

so why after just 6 months, i want to upgrade it or wish i went for a better model?

maybe its' the 2.4" mtn king tires i put on, after a road ride, i hop i my giant and it seems so heavy and slow, it's a nice bike, i almost wish i put the $700 towards a nicer bike, a found a good deal on a 1200 used bike for $700, just mt two cents

it is nice to have a new bike opposed to older stuff you never know, i think i saw a guy on this forum broke the fx frame < 1 year, i think he was a little heavy, i don't know the whole store, in my expreince the entry giant frames are good, just the components are not as good as the higher priced stuff

i like giant products, i think they are a bench mark for bikes today!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If you're considering freeride, even light freeride, you really should go with the Reign. The Reign 2 retails right around $2000, so if you can afford it, go for it. If you can't, you might want to seriously consider used. The Trance's are awesome bikes, but not for freeride.

plasma donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic--Biker
    Hey guys, apparently I wasn't specific enough: I wanted an idea of your pros and cons of rainier and yukon fx... which you answered, thanks! But the REAL question, and I didn't know at the time, but know now: if I could spend up to ~$2,000 MSRP on Giants (I don't know how much discount I get, but somewhere around half I believe, maybe a little less), what bike would you guys recommend? How different is climbing on a reign vs. a trance? I mostly am interested in the trance, and until I can even get a price quote (communication between boss, Giant, and me is glacial), I don't know the exact discount, hence my uncertainty. But: I am hoping to get a trance, maybe X3, or maybe, just maybe, even a X2. Anyway, any additional help is much appreciated.
    It really depends on the kind of riding you will do. If you want epic rides in the back country, the Reign will get old fast. If you want to session jumps and bomb at top speed down shuttled descents, the Reign is superb.

The Trance will handle some jumping too, it's just geared more towards smoothing the trails out so you can go faster. It's a steeper geometry, so it's gonna carve quicker, climb better, and just plain feel livlier. Take a day off and go test ride them. See what you think. This is your investment bro.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Yeah, I'll have to try to find a place to test them out in the San Francisco area (anyone know anywhere?). My shop doesn't stock them, otherwise I wouldn't have even asked here... just posted, and asked for good trails or where to find others to ride with. I am pretty much a cross country guy, and I suppose freeride would be a while away, enough I would get at least a different frame... how good is the trance at light all mountain? Wouldn't be hitting drops any more than 3-4' at most. I could live with just doing trails, but would like to know the limits of the trance... after riding for a bit and considering, the FR is a ways away for me, and I'm perfectly happy with XC and hopefully, more AM. Does that help any? Sorry for being confusing; most of the time I would borrow a friend's bike if there was highly technical stuff, and this would actually be the first non HT I'd own, so it's all different. Anyway, thanks for the lack of flames guys. I've ridden a fair amount, but learning the terms and the demarcation of categories is new to me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The Trance X is a perfect light all-mountain/xc bike. If you're doing 4 foot drops to flat all day, that will take a toll on the bike, but if you have transitions, you're good to go. Technical trails are no problem for the Trance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I ride a 08 Trance X2 and my buddy just bought a never been used 08 Trance X0 for $1500 at a LBS.
    There are some good deals out there you just got to look around.

plasma donor
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic--Biker
    Yeah, I'll have to try to find a place to test them out in the San Francisco area (anyone know anywhere?). My shop doesn't stock them, otherwise I wouldn't have even asked here... just posted, and asked for good trails or where to find others to ride with. I am pretty much a cross country guy, and I suppose freeride would be a while away, enough I would get at least a different frame... how good is the trance at light all mountain? Wouldn't be hitting drops any more than 3-4' at most. I could live with just doing trails, but would like to know the limits of the trance... after riding for a bit and considering, the FR is a ways away for me, and I'm perfectly happy with XC and hopefully, more AM. Does that help any? Sorry for being confusing; most of the time I would borrow a friend's bike if there was highly technical stuff, and this would actually be the first non HT I'd own, so it's all different. Anyway, thanks for the lack of flames guys. I've ridden a fair amount, but learning the terms and the demarcation of categories is new to me.
    The Reign is a sick bike, but it's overkill unless you plan on some crazy jumps. It's fun as hell if you're getting dropped off on top of a mountain, or even sessioning dirt jumps. Where it sucks is climbs and long flats. If it were my money, I'd opt for the Trance to start with. You can always upgrade later if you find the Trance just doesn't give you the confidence to ride things you realistically want to try. The Trance is a very capable bike, and you can go pretty big before you are pushing it's limits.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Buy the Trance. If you break it, Giant has a lifetime warranty on the frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Forget the Trance its for wimpy cross country riders. What you want is Giant Reign and maybe even the Reign X if your really hardcore. Reign is very comparble to Santa Cruz Nomad. I personally like my Reign X over my friends Nomads, gemotrey feels better. The bike peddles and decends like a dream. If your riding good trails out here the added travel is very key. Try doing the Crack or Mile with a 4" bike, I wouldnt. Also sections of Skeggs and diffently most Miller a sixer with put you at ease and let you go for some serious speed - why would you want to hold back on the down hill after a long climb. Giant Reign are also a total bargain compared to the price of elsworth truth or Intenses 6.6 or nomad or marin Quake for that matter. Reign suspion very active/plush; verturally no bob when in the saddle, the streering is total nutural even during hard braking. I cant say more execpt I love my Reign X.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/2273/32128/

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/2415/32131/
    Ice up after every crash; stay cool so the devil cant get your soul.
    RIP Mike D

wait...what?
    Quote Originally Posted by iceup
    Forget the Trance its for wimpy cross country riders. What you want is Giant Reign and maybe even the Reign X if your really hardcore. Reign is very comparble to Santa Cruz Nomad. I personally like my Reign X over my friends Nomads, gemotrey feels better. The bike peddles and decends like a dream. If your riding good trails out here the added travel is very key. Try doing the Crack or Mile with a 4" bike, I wouldnt. Also sections of Skeggs and diffently most Miller a sixer with put you at ease and let you go for some serious speed - why would you want to hold back on the down hill after a long climb. Giant Reign are also a total bargain compared to the price of elsworth truth or Intenses 6.6 or nomad or marin Quake for that matter. Reign suspion very active/plush; verturally no bob when in the saddle, the streering is total nutural even during hard braking. I cant say more execpt I love my Reign X.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/2273/32128/

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...in/2415/32131/
    I own a trance and I'm...

1. not wimpy

2. Not a cross-country rider

3. I ride JMP all the time on my trance and have no problems at all. I find that it can take on more than people expect it to.

sure, the reign is a great bike. I know many people that rock those awesome bikes. But I think that the trance can expand more for your mood and what you want to do in one day. XC one hour, jumps the next.

Also, I own 2 bikes, a trance and a IH 7point.
    I have ridden both at JMP and find that the Trance makes me pick better lines and (overall) makes me go faster over the rough stuff.
    With the full-on freeride bike, I feel that I get too sloppy over rough terrain and eventually screw up, which results in slowing me down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast