mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Strange 08 Reign 2 Fork Choice

I have thoroughly tried researching information relating to Giant's choice of the Marzocchi XC 600 TST2 fork on the 08 Reign 2 and have had hardly any luck in my search . This bike is supposed to be an All-Mountain bike, yet Marzocchi's website explicitly states that its XC forks should not be used for any drops, whether moderate or large, whatsoever. Furthermore, the specs for the Reign 2's fork on Giant's website are misleading by stating that it is a "Marzocchi 600 TST2 fork," thus omitting the XC designation. I also noticed that the stock XC 600 TST2 fork is 120mm but 140mm in Giant's application of it.

Sorry about the extensive rant, but I have preordered the Reign 2 and have been frustrated about this quirk. If anyone could share their opinions as to Giant's choice and the AM functionality of this fork, such as how durable it would be on moderate dropoffs of around 3' or more and general all-mountain riding, I would greatly appreciate it.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    If you're planning on doing 3 foot drops, you should probably get the Reign 1 instead of the Reign 2. That or just sell off the Marz fork straight away and get a fork you know will work for you.

Not much sense in quibbling with Giant over it when you know you shouldn't be doing three foot drops with that fork regardless of what they tell you.

I live to bike
    Bikes often come equipped with OEM forks that differ from their aftermarket counterparts-which is why it may be difficult to find much information on the specific fork. Apparently, Giant had Marzochhi make some of those particular forks in a 140mm length.

The fork will probably be fine with 3' drops, but if you're worried about it, sell it new and purchase something you'll be more confident about.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    If you're planning on doing 3 foot drops, you should probably get the Reign 1 instead of the Reign 2. That or just sell off the Marz fork straight away and get a fork you know will work for you.

Not much sense in quibbling with Giant over it when you know you shouldn't be doing three foot drops with that fork regardless of what they tell you.
    What Jeff said.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. Does anyone have a value-minded recommendation that would still take some abuse?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Unless you're a very heavy person, 3 foot drops are nothing. Yes, it's a cross-country fork, but many dual slalom/4cross/dj riders use cross-country forks. Just be smooth and shoot for transitions, and any mountain bike/fork should be able to handle 3 foot drops without a problem. If I'm wrong, I shouldn't have been doing what I've been doing with my bikes the past 10 years...

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisco
    Thanks for the replies. Does anyone have a value-minded recommendation that would still take some abuse?
    Fox is nowhere near economical.

I'd avoid Manitou right now until they've got themselves sorted out with their new owner.

In the 140mm travel, keep an eye out for a RS pike. There are various versions and I'm no expert on them, but a lot of folks are riding those with good success. Only issue is it requires a 20mm front hub......while this is a good thing, imo, but it also requires a different hub potentially (depending on what you have). You could track down some of the older Marzocchi All Mountain 1 forks as well.

In 160mm travel, the RS Domain or an older Z1. Again a 20mm hub is required for most of those (not necessarily though).

Cheers,
    EB

2 minutes turkish
    you'll be alright. zoch is just covering their butt. i was looking at the manual of a garbage disposal i put in my house and it said not to put food in it! lawyers everywhere these days.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have used Marzocchi XC forks (100mm and 120mm) for jumps/drops up to 4'. This is not an every day thing and I know Marzocchi says no jumping with them, but I've had no problems so far and hope it will continue to be that way.

"El Whatever"
    Agreed... zoke should be covering their behinders.

That XC600 is a 32mm just like their AM line... So it should take 3 footers no probs.
    Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I was sure there as a XC Zoke that was 140-120mm of travel for 2008. Maybe the XC700 ATA?? At any rate, the one on the Reign should be OEM.

However, one more vote for the Pike. Awesome fork.
    Check my Site

attending to my vices
    go used fox 36 on ebay. sell that fork new. get 160mm for the reign, it feels much better than 140mm in my opinion.
    OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!

squish is good
    I've used 160mm and 140mm forks on my '05 and they feel different but both work well. Not sure if it translates to the new frame but I wouldn't give up on the 140mm line. I think it makes it a better all around bike with the geometry and lighter weight. I also wouldn't sell the idea of a Manitou fork either. The Minute and the Nixon are both good options if you want to go for a really lightweight option over the Pike or 36ish style forks. I've chatted with some of the tech reps at Manitou about how much the change in ownership has affected them and so far it seems to be for the better.
    Bike good, work bad.

Reader
    Oct 2005
    I'd say go 160mm if you can. Sold the OE fork on my Reign 1 and I love the way it handles with a Fox TALAS 36 (granted, not too economical unless used). I only feel the need to drip it to 130 for the steepest of climbs... my 2 pennies.

MTBGremmie
    The marz XC700 and 600ATA forks are adjustable from 100-140mm. I would guess the same molds are used to pump out all 3 of the XC600 - 700 series forks. Only difference are the innards. They probably limited the XC600TST model to 120mm as it may be the most popular travel for XC oriented bikes. 140mm would be a bit long for something they don't want you to do any AM riding with.
    So, the 140mm fork on the Giant may be the XC600TST with spacers removed.
    Just a guess.
    Pretty dependable forks. Maybe because they intentionally underrate them, ie, build em tougher than what they recommend for usage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Got this bike, got this fork. I measured the travel when it was totally deflated and it turned out to be 130 mm. The only adjustments are rebound damping and air pressure. It's too simple to work fine, lacks sensitivity and plushness but it proved it can take some abuse. 3-4 ft drops are not a problem.

Formerly DMR For Life
    Quote Originally Posted by lubovoi
    Got this bike, got this fork. I measured the travel when it was totally deflated and it turned out to be 130 mm. The only adjustments are rebound damping and air pressure. It's too simple to work fine, lacks sensitivity and plushness but it proved it can take some abuse. 3-4 ft drops are not a problem.
    Honestly it is pretty unlikely that it will fail suddenly, I rode an 04 MX Comp ETA for 2.5 years (i'm 210lbs.) and sure it wasn't a great fork but it put up with me riding urban on it (2-3 foot drops to flat, stairs, etc.) as well as some lift-assisted and shuttling in the Canadian Front Range.

That fork will work at least for a while till you can afford something better (i.e. RS Pike(140mm), Domain (160mm))

DMR

mtbr member
    Go with a pike 454 air, a new hub csn be cheap yet still very strong, light and more then functional for what THAT bike was designed for.

I bought a 2nd hand pike and had it pushed (just my pref), bought a cheaper hub and laced it to the current rim with a higher spoke tention (for light FR). The whole package minus the pushed aspect ptu me back FAR less than a whole new fork itself. This was a couple of years ago and I still have the same gear running great. My missus has this on her bike now and again, its great.

The pike after being pushed was less harsh and far more linear with better smoother rebound.

Just think about what you want, why yoou want it and do some research as to how much, which is cheaper and where can you get it from.

I can give you some exact specs on what I got (which is by no means great in terms of 'Cris king hubs etc etc) and is great for what it is. I have the more high end stuff on the XO.

Members who have read this thread: 0