0 0%

Thread: STP1 VS Talon

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

STP1 VS Talon

What is better for Djing and Dhing, I am planning on buying one of the two

thanks bros

mtbr member
    Definitely the STP for what you describe...the Talon from my 2cc is mainly for more XC and is not what you would want for any kind of DH/ Djing at all.

the transition Vagrant is also GREAT...albiet for more aggressive riding than the STP.

But at the end of the day your choice for Dj and light Dh you could use the STP no probs if you know your landings well...(?)

I AM I AM
    STP, especially if you can get your hands on a Pike.

You're comparing something like this...

With something like this...

I'd rather take the STP DH'ing any day. But the Alias (geo similar to the talon) does feel more nimble.

mtbr member
    Hey Ducky, did you strip your paint back to bare alum...? If so it looks MUCH MUCH better than the stock paint job that they come with. But, you prefer to have no Fr brake at all (many do of course) though...? How do you like it?

I was thinking of running the Hope Minis on there with small 6" rotors Fr & Rr to do other tricks etc...Try, that is, whether or not I will accomplish without braking something is another matter.

I AM I AM
    Yes stripped to raw, required a fair few coats of paint stripper and some sanding too. I just finished it off with a scotchbrite pad. It's not a perfect job by any means, there were a couple of little nooks I couldn't get into very well, but these are not in noticeable places anyway.
    I thought the stock blue colour was very nice but I got tired of it pretty quickly. I would have stripped my old trance too if it hadn't been silver already.

Brakes, that's just temporary, I was going to switch the lines around & try the normal "front right" set up again (boredom and lack of riding I suppose) and at the same time I was shortening the front line slightly but cut it too short. So I took the brake off completely whilst the new line was on order. One brake is actually pretty adequate for just riding around, and it certainly would be for dirt jumping, but I don't think I'd be taking it to the DH track without putting the other one back on! I have a steepish but short hill where I live, and it's certainly noticeable that you can't really ride as fast with one brake because you have to apply it earlier to stop in time at the bottom, however since it's only the rear it was fun drifting the back wheel a little on the way down
    I've only taken it to the DH track once so far, now that I've got a DH helmet I'll have another go - as soon as I get the other brake back on. The first time I needed both brakes on, most of the way down. I'm very much a newb so yes I'll need heaps of practice to be able to ride the whole thing and at a reasonable speed, or find an easier track to start with, I know there's one around here somehwere!
    One thing I did notice during my first such ride is that I didn't even end up thinking about the bike at all - the brakes were working and that's about all that mattered. I guess it means that it's pretty suited for that kind of riding and must fit me pretty well.

SimSim, the STP was designed for DJing, so it beats the Talon there straight up. And the other deciding factor is that since you want to do DH, the STP can take a fork up to 140mm travel (the STP Pro comes stock with a Pike) whereas with the Talon I don't think it would be much good with more than 120mm. So even if you can't afford a new fork up front, at least it gives you the option.

The only thing the Talon might have over the STP is that the front wheel is easier to lift (well it is on my Alias, I would be guessing due to the steeper HA).

Otherwise if you plan on doing a lot of DH compared to DJ's then also consider the Norco Shore HT range. More travel but heavier than the STP's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'd vote for the STP too. I have XTC (similar to Talon) and STP ... and I use the STP about 80% of the time. I now only use the XTC for epic rides and training.