Thread: STP Frame Set

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

STP Frame Set

Hey I am looking for a beefier ride then my XTC. I do a lot of trails with small drops and some jumps. But I also do a lot of urban riding with bigger drop offs to flat, stairs, etc.

How does the STP frame stack up? For a retail price of $330 it sounds pretty good.

"Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have both XTC and STP.

The XTC is a tough little cookie - I used to use it both for trails and street riding. I have the smallest size which makes it passable for urban riding when the seatpost and saddle are lowered. I have crashed it countless times but it is still surprisingly fine. However it does feel clunky upon hard landings and I keep worrying that it will soon break into pieces hehehe. So I got myself a STP.

The STP is definitely beefier and burlier ... and definitely more ideal for street riding. Its geometry makes it easier to pedal standing up, it feels more nimble and more importantly more stable when jumped and dropped. Drops on the STP feel smoother and more solid (probably because of the burlier rims and tires on it too). More confidence inspiring in short.

At first, coming from my lightweight XTC - the STP is a harder to pull up (for bunnyhops etc) because it is heavier by about a pound and naturally, its fork, wheels and components are also all heavier and tougher but I eventually adjusted.

The large size STP with its longish top tube is the more all around bike especially for trail riding and climbing but the regular size STP is more fun - feels faster, easier to jump and easier to play around with. Hope this helps.