My Brain Hurts!

Stock tires on Sedona

So, I now have 2 tires with issues on my Sedona.

The front tire has always had a slight wiggle to it, as in the tread has an area where it goes off to the right about 1/32nd of an inch and comes back. But it has been no big deal. I did end up replacing the original front rim, it was bad from the factory, but that is another story....

Yesterday, my rear tire decided to go out about 1/4 inch! And upon inspection today it seems as if the side wall is being damaged by the rim, I can see threads that have worn through and broken. So I ordered a new tire today, but am fearing I can expect more of the same from the stock stuff.

Any others have "issues" with their stock tires by Kenda? Is it just me? Or are they low end tires?

And to that end, what is a good tire for a bigger rider that is mostly city riding?
    Last edited by ProfGumby; 07-31-2008 at 04:41 PM.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Those kenda tires are pretty basic, but they are really pretty good for stock tires on a bike that costs around $300. That wiggle on the front tire is something that LOTS of $15-$20 tires do and would be considered normal. The rear tire was most likely worn through by the brake pad. If your rear rim was/is bent or the wheel was not installed square into the dropouts, you will notice the tire lightly scraping the brake pad as it spins by it. This can also be caused by the brake pad being adjusted too high. If you are having trouble with bending wheels, you might look into buying a set of wheels with box-section / double-wall rims. The Sedona DX comes with them stock. Good luck.
    Ride More

My Brain Hurts!
    Thanks for the reply!

I love the bike and the way it feels, but the wheels leave me desiring more. I mean really, my old 99 dollar KMart wonderhuffy has rims that held up to my use better than these...

I am fairly certain the rear wheel is square with the dropout, and I will double check the brake pads. I am now wondering if this is an under inflation issue as the rear tire lost about 20lbs of pressure last week. I refilled back up to 60 pounds as with my weight I do not want to wipe out the sidewalls. But the tire failure seems to have happened all at once. The rear tire was straight and true and now looks like it twisted and goes one way about 1/8 inch from true then back to center then right to 1/4 inch out the other way. As if I broke it on a hard hit, but no such thing occurred

I am also not really pleased with the rims that came on this bike. The front rim was out of true right away and has a wobble/high spot right at the seam where it was joined. I replaced it as I was sick of the surging it caused when braking. The original rear rim is also not as nice as the new front rim that is on the bike. The new front rim is a replacement Sedona rim, (from the LBS) but maybe one of the rims you speak of as it is much nicer and appears to be better built.

I am actually thinking of upgrading to a new wheelset this winter and was thinking of these..
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/147...l-Wheelset.htm I have to be sure of the hub spacing before I go that far into rims...they will cost almost as much as I paid for the bike!

Though I will have to look into the DX wheelsets...my LBS can assist with that...

And then adding some really nice tires semi slick type as this is my commuter bike mostly, though it does see some occasional off road use...

I see a few tires that interest me, but am also looking for suggestions....
    Last edited by ProfGumby; 08-01-2008 at 06:24 PM.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    You're welcome! The Continental Travel-Contacts are nice. and will last forever.
    Ride More