In exile

Stem lengths on Reign 3s

I rode both the 18 and the 20 Reign 3s. I hate to start a new thread, but don't know enough about mtbr to know if peeps comb through an old thread about size, so here goes. I thought I was a little cramped on the 18, which has a 1" offset post. I am thinking the stem was around 90mm. The 20 felt a little long with a 1" set back post, and the stem seemed to be at least 110mm. Does anyone know the lengths for sure on the 06 Reign 3s? The shop has been screwing around and hasn't ordered so I am thinking about the 18 again. It turns out that in measuring myself, that I have shrunk from 6' in 95 to just under 5'11" now. I am thinking the 20 may stretch me out too much, but also don't want to be cramped, as this will be a trail bike. Thanks again for the help.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by loco-gringo
    I rode both the 18 and the 20 Reign 3s. I hate to start a new thread, but don't know enough about mtbr to know if peeps comb through an old thread about size, so here goes. I thought I was a little cramped on the 18, which has a 1" offset post. I am thinking the stem was around 90mm. The 20 felt a little long with a 1" set back post, and the stem seemed to be at least 110mm. Does anyone know the lengths for sure on the 06 Reign 3s? The shop has been screwing around and hasn't ordered so I am thinking about the 18 again. It turns out that in measuring myself, that I have shrunk from 6' in 95 to just under 5'11" now. I am thinking the 20 may stretch me out too much, but also don't want to be cramped, as this will be a trail bike. Thanks again for the help.
    Do a search. Been discussed ad infinitum

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    i did a search and didnt find this, i would like to know this also, i feel the stem stretches me out quite a bit, so i orderd a 35 mm stem and a 2 inch riser bar. hopefully this will bring my arms closer in.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by xenochimera
    i did a search and didnt find this, i would like to know this also, i feel the stem stretches me out quite a bit, so i orderd a 35 mm stem and a 2 inch riser bar. hopefully this will bring my arms closer in.

35mm, wow, that's a very short stem! You probably already know this, but stem length affects handing quite dramatically. Personally I couldn't imagine a stem that short on a bike that had to climb. 70-100 is about the range of stem lengths for an all mtn bike. If you're going too far out side this range, you may have bought the wrong size frame.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    yeah its short, but i think the bike fits me fine, maybe a tad bigger but not excessively big. i am 5'10-5'11, and 18 inch feels fine. i will use this more for light freeriding than climbing

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm 5' 8" ish and ride an 18" Reign 1 with a 90mm stem(stock stem). Great for free ride (nice and upright) but the ideal stem for me (had professional fitting) is a 110mm. Sounds as though your a bit confused on your sizing??
    The LBS should be able to pick up the phone on the spot and call their Giant rep to get stem info for you. Sounds lazy to me especially when you consider the Reign 3 is a pretty good chunk of change in itself. Just my opinion though!

MTB B'dos
    yeah its short, but i think the bike fits me fine, maybe a tad bigger but not excessively big. i am 5'10-5'11, and 18 inch feels fine. i will use this more for light freeriding than climbing
    I'd be very interested to see a pic of you siting on this setup, 'cause personally I can't imagine riding a XC bike with that short a stem - the steering would so super sharp.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

In exile
    Reading all of this, I am thinking that the 20" is definitely the way for me to go. I want to light, and I do mean light, freeride as in maybe 3 - 4 ft drops, but will use this as a trail bike. I really do want to run a 70mm stem, but may go as much as 90mm and don't think I can with an 18". I still notice that no one mentions the 1" seat post offset. That seems huge in saddle position.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    1" set back is pretty standard on seat post's I think. You can get a "0" but I would think that is more for triathaletes etc who are looking for an aggressive aero position, not grinding climbs and free ride. I personally think (without seeing you and just from your size description) you want a minimum 90mm stem (probably still a bit short). Also more importantly for handling reasons as well.

In exile
    I don't think I follow your logic for long stems on trail bikes. Can you elaborate??

Also - I don't think that geometry should be designed around 1" set back posts. In addition, you can move your saddle a little, but it stands to reason that a zero set back post is easier to get behind. That's just me though.

Too Kool for Skool
    HOLY SHIZZ MAN THATS SHORT!!! i thought u where gettin a 50 or a 70mm. jese thats small
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    it's short but it's pretty.... just like a guatemalan hooker...

Motion activated
    To fit a bike, you first have to get the correct relationship between your saddle and the BB. With your crank at 6 o'clock, your kneecap should be inline with the ball of your foot (which should coincide with pedal spinal). If it's not, then you adjust the seat for/aft and you can even change to a straight or setback post. Once you've done that, you can start experimenting with stems. But keep in mind that the most efficient cycling position isn't going to be the same as the best handling position. It's a tradeoff. And of course it changes depending on what you want the bike to be best at. If you need a really short or long stem to get a comfortable position, you might want a different size bike. On the other hand, if you choose to run a long or short stem because you prefer the way the bike behaves, then that is a different story.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    yeah the stock stem is 90mm.

In exile
    I built up my 20" tonight and it feels decent with a 70 mm. I may get an 80 or 90 later.