mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Is this a steal?

Hey everybody. Well I currently have a 2003 stumpjumper frame (warrantied) and the rest are 2001 parts, and I'm thinking about adding another bike into my stable. I have been pretty hard on my stumpy and I actually just upgraded the front shock to a 04 mx comp with eta and it rocks. well i was driving home from riding today and i decided to drop by the LBS. I need an additional bike more for doing the 5-6 footers and rock gardens that currently punish my stumpy. I found a 03 giant ac2 (medium) for 1399. The problem is that it had fallen in the store (that was what I was told) and there are two nickel sized dents about half way down the right side of the down tube. There was also a nice little scratch behind the rings along the down tube and a little scuffing on the right side of rear triangle. I asked if the integrity of the frame has been damaged but the bike store guy said that it should still be just as strong and if I were to have any problems they would warranty it. This price is awesome and all the other bikes i've been looking at are approx. 500-1000 more. what do you guys think?

gabe

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by upperbidwell
    Hey everybody. Well I currently have a 2003 stumpjumper frame (warrantied) and the rest are 2001 parts, and I'm thinking about adding another bike into my stable. I have been pretty hard on my stumpy and I actually just upgraded the front shock to a 04 mx comp with eta and it rocks. well i was driving home from riding today and i decided to drop by the LBS. I need an additional bike more for doing the 5-6 footers and rock gardens that currently punish my stumpy. I found a 03 giant ac2 (medium) for 1399. The problem is that it had fallen in the store (that was what I was told) and there are two nickel sized dents about half way down the right side of the down tube. There was also a nice little scratch behind the rings along the down tube and a little scuffing on the right side of rear triangle. I asked if the integrity of the frame has been damaged but the bike store guy said that it should still be just as strong and if I were to have any problems they would warranty it. This price is awesome and all the other bikes i've been looking at are approx. 500-1000 more. what do you guys think?

gabe
    I am a Giant Dealer and a price of 1399 is not bad since the retail on them was 1900-2000. Also had a customer that did dent his down tube on a 02 AC(about quarter size) and a few rides later the frame did fold in where the dent was(granted he was doing drops off small house roofs 8-15 feet)and Giant would not warranty the frame due to the dent that was on it. Dents are not manufacturer defects they are abuse to the bike according to every bike manufacturer and will not be warrantied. The only way you will get the frame warrantied is if the shop eats the cost of a new AC frame for you(doubt very much that this will be the case, but you never know). So buy at you own risk.
    Last edited by ILxcMTNbiker; 04-10-2004 at 08:01 PM.