No Stranger to danger....

Standard Reign for freeride/DH bike ? How much abuse can it take ?

Hi guys, id like to hear your thoughts on how much abuse you think a standard 2012 Reign 2 can cop ?
    Ive had one for about 8 months now, and used it for light DH, and freeride around the bush n city, plenty of pretty big stair cases, jumps off most things i can find up to about 4 feet to flat, it seems to eat up alot ( with extra air in the shocks ) it has preformed very well for me,
    Question is will i end up breaking this bike, how much abuse can you give these things ?

im finding myself wanting to go bigger n push it alot more, should i bite the bullet n get a faith, ( i dont really have the money yet for one ) or should i just ride the reign till it breaks n if it does just get another frame under warranty....
    i realise they make the reign x, but if i did pull the trigger id go the faith...
    i bought the standard reign to have as a do it all that i could ride on all day, not to mention it was only $2000AU..... its a great do it all bike, great for really long rides to just razzin around, so i love it n would not get rid of it, but im just wondering if any of you guys can tell me just how much these babies can take....

thanks for reading the post guys n cheers from oz.....

mtbr member
    They can take a lot, but look at they way they are spec'd stock vs. the Reign X or Faith... You will not want to pedal a Faith around. It's a shuttle-princess for sure. I have a buddy with a Reign X who does all day rides, and used to race DH on it until he got his Glory.

If you're looking at road-gaps, back flips off of cliffs, being towed into launch ramps, get the Faith.
    Giant Trance Advanced SL0
    Black Cat 26 " SS

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I'd expect it kinda depends on how big you are and how smooth you huck it around...

The Reign-X frame is beefier, but the Reign ain't no slouch from my experience...

Do yourself a favor, though, and ditch the air can in back for a coil. Way better.

Thanks guys for the replies, appreciate it, think ill wait for abit more cash n go for something beefier, rode a faith today, and thought it was slick, not to bad to ride at all.....
    whilst i wont be doing backflips of cliffs just yet Fred i think it will give me abit more scope than the reign x, i think i'll look round for a second hand one that hasnt had much use, if i can find one...
    Skaredshtles, the coil ideas a good one , but i think ill just put the money into a new bike, n use the reign 2 as a razz around bike for the general stuff, as its a great bike, and i will be keeping it for sure....
    i was hoping a few guys might put up some pics of Reigns doing silly stuff, id still be interested to see how far some push them, cheers n thanks guys

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's L'axeman View Post

Skaredshtles, the coil ideas a good one , but i think ill just put the money into a new bike, n use the reign 2 as a razz around bike for the general stuff, as its a great bike, and i will be keeping it for sure....
    I got a cheap Fox Van-R coil and it is soooo much better than the DHX-4 air can that came stock. Even for "razzing around" it's mo' bettah...

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    I got a cheap Fox Van-R coil and it is soooo much better than the DHX-4 air can that came stock. Even for "razzing around" it's mo' bettah...
    cheers mate, seeings you mentioned it, im gona have a look around now to see the cheapest one i can find, any model number on that coil, or should i just be looking for the 'fox van-R coil, thanks for takin the time out to answer my blog, appreciated mate..

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's L'axeman View Post
    cheers mate, seeings you mentioned it, im gona have a look around now to see the cheapest one i can find, any model number on that coil, or should i just be looking for the 'fox van-R coil, thanks for takin the time out to answer my blog, appreciated mate..
    All you need is a shock with an eye-to-eye of 7.875" and a stroke of 2" or 2.25" (the 2.25" stroke will give you 6.75" of rear travel instead of the stock 6" of travel.

This one is pretty much the same as the one I have: !!***NEW***!! FOX Vanilla R 7.875 - Pinkbike