Thread: Sram X7

MBAA!

Sram X7

Lets skip the lame introduction and go straight to my story:
    I own an NRS-3 (2004) and love this bike to death. Two days ago I reached 37mph (hey now, im only 15), and last night I was biking to a friends house. I shift down to second on my cranks, and as soon as the crosswalk says WALK, I pedal like a madman trying to get across. Sadly, my pant leg got caught in my third crank and instead of ripping, flung me forward. Needless to say, I got up out of the middle of the crosswalk, walked me and my bike into the nearby McDonalds bathroom and cleaned up. Called my mom (broke my cell phone too) with their phone and got to urgent care... 9 stitches. This happened last night, and this morning I go to my bike, clean off the blood, and inspect for any damage. Originally I thought the rear derailer was broken. However, this morning I found out that my rear derailer is fine.

However, I broke my front derailer entirely, my rear derailer shifter is cracked open and my rear brake lever is bent. I was looking online at some reviews because I thought it would be a good time to finally upgrade something! Originally my heart was set on XTR. But I dont have 300$. Looked at XT... too many bad reviews. So I glance at SRAM X7, and read nothing but good news (or an idiot's view who expects perfection and anything less deserves 1/10). So I bought the SRAM X7 shifters, front derailer and rear derailer.

I was really just wondering how this would perform compared to my Deore componets. My Deore stuff is high quality and durable, is the X7 as durable? I ride on mostly rocky trails wtih some very technical stuff (45 degree climbs up boulders for a good mile) and gravel, which makes my bike shake often. I treat my bike very well, if I ever take it somewhere, I set it down on the side opposite the derailers because they are fragile... should I be even more careful? I havent heard much else about durability. Also, will it perform better with SRAM X7 driveline componets, ie.: chain, cassette, cranks? I could probably toss in another 70$ and get all that stuff...

Thanks.
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i think you'll love SRAM X.7. it functions the same as X.9 although not quite as durable (eg: plastic triggers, non-sealed RD jockey wheel bearings, etc); but the important bits are solid. the shift action is crisp and simply works. people find having to make adjustment virtually non-existing once the cables are stretched after some running-in.

the FD can sometimes 'rub' on the chain with more extreme gear ratios, although sometimes more than acceptable. refer to the SRAM forum about recent discussion on why/fixes.

i would rate X.7 at least as good as Deore, and even better shifting and maintenance-free. as you look after your gear, you should have no probs.

for the record, i have X.9 and X.0 on a couple bikes.

mtbr member
    I've just switched from LX to X7 rear der. and I must say it's way better than LX (low-normal one)!
    Last edited by goRz; 11-13-2005 at 09:06 AM.
    Passion beyond reason!

mtbr member
    I run SRAM X.0 and i have to say the SRAM system is very very good, however, i dont have a bad word aganst Shimano XT - it's very robust and smooth system. It seems it's just the Shimano haters (those ppl that seem to hold a grudge against shimano because they r mainstream) that seem to put them down.

I would say that SRAMs 1:1 actuation ratio is very very good X7 X9 X0 all very very good systems. Overall - although Shimano is still a robust setup, the SRAM stuff suits me much better (and does seem to shift a lot smoother).

Regards

MBAA!
    How well will this perform without the SRAM cassette, cranks or chain? Would it be bad? Or perhaps just better with those componets.
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

spinner
    The consensus seems to be Shimano cassettes are more durable and last longer. Chains ? Some people have found Sram chains less likely to snap.

I havent had any problems with my setups yet.
    Reign : Shimano chain , Sram cassette , XO der. ,Truvativ cranks
    DH Comp : Connex chain , Shimano cassette , Sram 9.0 der., Truvativ cranks.

I don't believe I'm hard on drivetrain components though ! (I don't pedal hard)

MBAA!
    Im fairly aggresive... addicted to speed. So essentially getting a SRAM chain would be better? How are things as far as cranks? X7 or what I have now... Deore?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    SRAM is fully compatible with all cranks and x-spd (eg: 9spd) chains, no probs. i run shimano chains and have had no probs (i too aren't usually hard on my gear). and have raceface and FSA cranks; Deore cranks will be no probs either.

mtbr member
    I use Shimano XT Cranks, a Shimano XT Cassette - a SRAM Chain, Shimano XT Front Der and SRAM X.0 rear der and X.0 shifters.

IMHO Shimano XT cranks offer great stiffness at a good weight and price, personally i feel they are a great piece of kit.

Members who have read this thread: 0