mtbr member
    Feb 2013

So...what made you pick the Trance X1

Over the X2 and X0....And what do you want to change? Is the middle model always the best value? Personally i liked the suspension, but could do without the dropper post and would rather have slx brakes.

mtbr member
    I picked the X1 because it seemed like the best value to me. Since owning, I've changed the shifters and rear der to Shimano XT, the wheels to Hope Evo 2 Hubs laced to Stans Arch EX rims, and brakes to XT as well. I sold the SRAM derailleur and shifters on ebay for what the Shimano replacements cost me from Merlincycles.com. I got $180 out of the Avid brakes, so the upgrade to Xt's cost me about $170. So, I have about $1,000 out-of-pocket expense in upgrades and have almost the exact same bike as the X0 except mine has custom wheels and at $200 less than msrp of the X0.
    Last edited by bikensand; 04-09-2013 at 07:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

So...what made you pick the Trance X1

X1 seemed the best value even though I've upgraded a few things. I had a set off Zee brakes available to replace the Avids. I also swapped the shifters, grips, and seatpost. I'll probably sell the take off brakes and shifters to fund the new parts, but I'll keep the dropper for when I travel to more technical trails.

I definitely wanted better components (CTD susp, type 2 rear der, dropper post, lighter wheels/bar/stem/etc) than the X2 so quickly ruled that model out. I thought long and hard about the X0 but in the end couldn't justify the hefty jump in price even with my upgrade plans.

I'll eventually upgrade the wheels but probably not this season other than going tubeless.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Your Best Friend

Re: So...what made you pick the Trance X1

The X1 is by far the best value. Like bikensand mentioned, you can do a ton of worthwhile upgrades and still come out cheaper than the X0.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    FWIW Wiggle has XT brake set F/R for $221 and I got backcountry to price match. Came in the mail yesterday !

Figured this would help those with upgrade-itis.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hmm, that's less than I've seen the slx for. Is that with the rotors? The x0 I tested was nice, and I'm used to shimano, but too high for me for the xt. X1 was a good value to get the same suspension. Hopefully this SRAM stuff works pretty well. Id like to change the brakes, maybe tubeless, possibly a light seat post and seat and ride out with everything else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hophead1 View Post
    Is that with the rotors?
    The XT brake don't come with rotors. You can get the rotors usually between $35-45. I've been told to spend the extra on the Ice-tech rotor; they're worth it. That's $300 for the brakes with rotors and you can probably get $180 out of the Avids on eBay, maybe a little more if you take them off before you use them. Probably one of the best $120 upgrades you can do, in my opinion

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    When you put it like that it looks pretty good. since this is an ordered bike, and i was just told that it wont be here for another week, the brakes will have zero use. i'm going to look up xt vs. slx to see what the difference is, and maybe get them before the bike. the avid's have nice modulation but for a 200+lb rider, the instant clamping force of shimano is nice, especially when you are pointing down.

mtbr member
    You know what, I just realized that the brakes I sold on eBay for $180 were Elixir 9s, not the 5s that come on the X1. The 9s were taken off my Anthem when I switched to Maguras on that bike, then put on the TX when I got it. It might be a stretch to get $180 out of the 5s; $125-150 is probably a bit more realistic

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    website shows elixir 3's on the X1.

mtbr member
    I apologize, I stand corrected again. I couldn't remember since those brake immediately came off my bike and the 9s went on. I just gave the 3s to the LBS since they made me a pretty good deal on the bike and the shop owner needed something for his dirt jumper.
    The 3s are selling on ebay between $95-125. So, maybe the upgrade to XTs isn't the "no-brainer" I thought it was; the difference now could be as much as $200.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I found a place to get the xt's front and rear for 220.00 seems like the best so far. same place has rotors for like 60 each. i'll see if I can find them somewhere else for less. Is it the sm-rt86 with the 6 bolt pattern? seems right.

mtbr member
    I just got the X1 a few weeks ago because I wanted the dropper and suspension and it's just damn good value. I had the shop put on XT brakes with ice-tech rotors before I even picked the bike up. It was about a $200 upgrade after the credit for the takeoffs, and soooo worth it. I'll probably leave everything else alone for quite a while, but when I do eventually want to change something, I'll go with wheels first.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shrubeck View Post
    I just got the X1 a few weeks ago because I wanted the dropper and suspension and it's just damn good value. I had the shop put on XT brakes with ice-tech rotors before I even picked the bike up. It was about a $200 upgrade after the credit for the takeoffs, and soooo worth it. I'll probably leave everything else alone for quite a while, but when I do eventually want to change something, I'll go with wheels first.
    I'm pretty much in the same boat. Big expense, this thing costs more than my dirt bike.

I don't want to blow too much on upgrades but I've got elixirs on my other bike and i definitely want to change them to xt.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well after a couple of rides, I love the dropper post. I thought it was a dumb gimmick but I really use it and its fun to make it pop up near people that don't know what it is.lol. Been futzing with cockpit and seat ...etc. I like to be stretched out a little and rotated the bars, which helped. Then I decided that the front end was a little light, bouncy in turns and wanted to get some weight over it. Bumped the seat up a little which helped. Now I'm a little cramped again. What size stem is on the large? Maybe I could get one a little longer. Not sure if that would effect handling.