mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Small Giant Reign X1 2008, what spring for the fork??

I bought the bike at the end of the last summer. I like it very much but I'm having a hard time setting the suspension. I weight 140(145-150 all geared) and feel that I bottom out the fork a bit too easily. The paradox is that I can't only seem to achieve 15% of sag with the stock spring and no preload. I never opened the fork and I'm not sure if I skilled enough to service it myself. Does anyone know what spring color is in the stock FOX 36 Van R that came with the small Reign X1? If I go with a lighter spring, how can I make the bottom out resistance better on that fork?

CAPTIN HARDCORE
    As alwasy, please look at the MFG's website for all the details....its free and its good information. Also, if you got you bike new your LBS should have included a CD owners manual for FOX products.

The spring should be blue (I think) which is their med spring or it may be green since it is a small. I think for your weight this one should be the right one, but if your like me i like my forks sorta on the stiffer side. I went up to the Highest (yellow) spring which made a big diff. (note: I am 180lbs on the mark) I think I would like to go just a little stiffer but I am starting to like it.

The springs do not cost much at all, around $25. They sell them cheep because they know that there is no bike that will fit everyones needs.

Its pretty easy to change, just lower the preload to the lowest setting, get s big (please refer Fox's website for size and specs) 6 point socket that will fit around the preload adjustment, take it off and push down on the fork a little and pull the old spring out. Take some of the oil off the old spring and rub it on the new one to get a little bit of oil on it an put the spring back in the fork. Tighten the preload adjuster to the torque spec, shake the fork to get the new spring oiled and then go ride. Easy as cake.....they make it this way so it can be changed during a race.

As alwasy, please look at the MFG's website for all the details....its free and good information.
    [SIZE=3][B]Chillin...Riding I hopeB][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey man, you are just right. I'm spending so much time on this forum that I even didn't think about going on the giant website. But just for the "how-to-do", I consider my post very useful!
    Thanks for your time.
    Mat

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey I would have another question if I might ask. Can you change the semi-bath oil from the top of the fork or do you have to empty and refill the fork from the bottom of the legs?

CAPTIN HARDCORE
    Quote Originally Posted by nightnerd
    Hey I would have another question if I might ask. Can you change the semi-bath oil from the top of the fork or do you have to empty and refill the fork from the bottom of the legs?
    I think from the bottom, but I am not sure.....nver done it. What I have done in the past with another for is take out the bolts on the bottom of the fork and drain the old and then fill it in the same hole.

The manual may have this information as well, if not call fox their customer service is good.

Or, you could send it in to Fox or Pushed and they will rebuild the whole thing.
    [SIZE=3][B]Chillin...Riding I hopeB][/SIZE]