In exile

Size for a Reign???

I am 6' with a 30" inseam. I want a little standover room, but don't want too short a TT. I want to ride a 70mm stem and a Z150 SL on it. I'm leaning towards an 06, but the 05 looks a little less likely to get crap around the shaft of the shock. I don't know the availability of them now, and haven't ridden one, but things look good enough to go ahead and get one for a trail bike. I have an RP3 I can put on if I get the 05, but don't really care which one for sure. Any reason to take one over the other? The nearest shop that might have one is 60 miles, so any help will be appreciated. I am tired of my Jamis, and the Haro is a bit piggy on climbs, so this seems like a good alternative. About the size, would you go with an 18" or a 20"? I think my favorite fit ever was an 02 NRS 18.5". Thanks.

mtbr member
    i just got my reign 3 in the 20" and it fits perfectly. im 6'2" and around 95kgs. the 18" was too cramped and too small IMHO.

cant help you with the rest of your questions. they are an awsome machine for the money thats for sure. i feel it climbs better than my iguana hardtail, well its my initial thoughts anyways.

G

mtbr member
    I am 6'3" and have 20" Reign3 for more XC oriented style I could even take 21" frame but I ride fairly aggressive plus some jumps.
    Passion beyond reason!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Im 5'11" and ride the 20" R2,Had a 18.5 VT and had the seatpost to max and felt cramped even with a 12cm stem.I have a 33+" inseam.The 20 fits great,Im happy I didnt get the 18.Friend of mine is 5'10" and rides the 18,That fits him fine.The 18 should fit me but I think the combination of my longish inseam for my hight and my preference of not riding with a long stem,use a 10cm, is why I prefer the 20.

In exile
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrutis
    Im 5'11" and ride the 20" R2,Had a 18.5 VT and had the seatpost to max and felt cramped even with a 12cm stem.I have a 33+" inseam.The 20 fits great,Im happy I didnt get the 18.Friend of mine is 5'10" and rides the 18,That fits him fine.The 18 should fit me but I think the combination of my longish inseam for my hight and my preference of not riding with a long stem,use a 10cm, is why I prefer the 20.
    Being close to the same size, I am thinking I would want the 20". I can't one to ride. Just the 18", but I will run a 70mm stem, so I am thinking the 20" is what to get. The frame will be cheap enough I can sell it if it doesn't work out, but I would like to be right on first time.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by loco-gringo
    Being close to the same size, I am thinking I would want the 20". I can't one to ride. Just the 18", but I will run a 70mm stem, so I am thinking the 20" is what to get. The frame will be cheap enough I can sell it if it doesn't work out, but I would like to be right on first time.
    I'm 5'11" w/ 32" inseam and my last bike (19" Hollowpoint) fitted like the proverbial glove whereas I felt in-between the Reign sizings... (the 18" R2 felt too short in the head tube and generally smaller than I thought I wanted. The 20" was taller (longer headtube) which appealed, but also longer in wheelbase). Eventually settled on the 20" and took it home for a few days. Anyway, a mate bought an 18" and we spent a bit of time swapping rides. Realised I'd made a big mistake straight away, and the LBS swapped the 20 for an 18" The 18" is considerably quicker handling, being 22mm shorter in wheelbase. Much nicer to ride in the woods, I didn't realise it riding on the street. I swapped the low-rise bar for a 1.5" and 6deg stem for a 10deg one. Fits really well now. Wouldn't recommend the 20" unless you're 6'+ or only ride fast and straight....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    I'm 5'11" w/ 32" inseam and my last bike (19" Hollowpoint) fitted like the proverbial glove whereas I felt in-between the Reign sizings... (the 18" R2 felt too short in the head tube and generally smaller than I thought I wanted. The 20" was taller (longer headtube) which appealed, but also longer in wheelbase). Eventually settled on the 20" and took it home for a few days. Anyway, a mate bought an 18" and we spent a bit of time swapping rides. Realised I'd made a big mistake straight away, and the LBS swapped the 20 for an 18" The 18" is considerably quicker handling, being 22mm shorter in wheelbase. Much nicer to ride in the woods, I didn't realise it riding on the street. I swapped the low-rise bar for a 1.5" and 6deg stem for a 10deg one. Fits really well now. Wouldn't recommend the 20" unless you're 6'+ or only ride fast and straight....
    I ride northeast tight singletrack ,the 20 is plenty quick for me,but everyone prefers different things.I like the longer wheelbase for the downs,doesnt seem to be to hamper turning ability.The stock Bulldog tires were crap and didnt preform well,swapped for Conti Vert on the back and Panaracer FR 2.4 up front and all is good.I know some big guys that love to ride small frames,its all personal opinion.Maybe my roadie background is why I like a longer top tube.

In exile
    I rode them both and it was hard to tell. I felt a little cramped on the 18, but felt a little stretched out on the 20. I think the 18 had a 90 mm stem, and the post is a little set back on the regin 3 I rode, so I am thinking that the 20 will be perfect. It had a 100 or 110 mm stem, and I will run a 70mm on it. I also will run a Thomson post that has no set back so the seat will be a little further up. I plan to order a 20" when the Giant folks are back from their sales meeting. If anyone else has any thoughts, please share them. My Haro feels pretty good, if not a little long, and it measures 23.5" in a straight line parallel to the ground from center of post to center of top tube. The 20" reign measures almost exactly 23". I am most confused by geometry listings on mfg sites.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm 5ft10 and ride the small (16 inch) - I like small frames and it works for me.

Cheers

In exile
    Well - I got my first short ride on the 20" today, and it is right on. It is good climbing, but feels nice to throw around. I made a climb that I have never made before, and descend like a rock.