Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Singlespeed Rainier?!

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  nygeo 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 04' rainier, which was (along wiht myself) in an accident which ripped off the derailleur and hanger. I Chose instead of replacing it to make it a singlespeed, but wihtout removing the cassette and 2nd and 3rd chainrings. It now has no shifters, derailleurs, gear cables, or front brake. It left me with an awsome bike for cruising around town. Then to finish it off, i put Maxxis 2.0 Oriflamme tires, sun ringle platofrm pedals, WTB gel saddle, and sram Pc-99 chain. It looks really cool, and it fin for some light urban stuff too. What do you think of my creation?
Cheers
edray

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
The red tires look funny with the blue paint.

Why would you remove the front brake? I don't get that part. You may as well take off the front rotor too since it serves no purpose :confused:

Not my kind of thing. I think the Rainier is a lot of bling for around town duty. But hey whatever, as long as you like it that's all that matters.

#5 ·
Have you had any prob's with it? I was with some friends out in the bush and his derailleur got sucked into the spokes and was ripped off. Since we were quite far away from anything, we figured the best option was to take out a few links from the chain and turn it into a single speed, much like what you've done. Only thing was, when he hit a big lump the chain could move up a gear, which caused havoc because the chain got real tight and it actually bent his rear axle. (Can't remember exactly, but i think it may also have stopped his pedals dead in their tracks).
It sounds like it's working fine for you though, you don't have any problems like this?

#6 ·
I like the idea but please complete the transformation, the it's fine for now but if you want it to be a regular SS the small and big rings and cassette have to go.

For tensioning try a 2:1 gear ratio like 32:16, if it's too hard try another combination like 32:20 (the chain will be a bit too tight but works) or go 32:18 with a half link any of these will allow good tensioning without a tensioner. If you want a tensioner get the Rennen.

For spacers use a piece of 1.25 schedule 40 pvc tube cut to size.

Why you removed the front brake? That's the most important unless you ride a fixed.

#7 ·
???

The front brake is the most critical brake in road riding. In fact, true road bikes (fixed gear at least) only have a front brake!!! (Since the rear wheel is lifted off of the ground during braking and has very little traction, usually resulting in a skid) In off road riding the rear brake regains usefulness as it is more possible for the front wheel to skid causing severe consequences. Its easier to handle a rear wheel skid. If you are riding mostly on the road, get that front brake back on there and learn how to use it properly. In an emergency it will save your life. The front brake offers far superior stopping power.
Check out this link:
http://sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.