mtbr member
    Apr 2004

should i get an AC?

i need to get a new bike and the giant AC is one of the ones that i like the best i was wondering if anyone out there can help me with my decision. let me know if you like yours and if there have been any problems with your AC. any input is helpful

mtbr member
    I ride an AC as my all purpose Trail/XC/Freeride/DH bike, I absolutely love it.

But - what type of riding will you be doing on it?
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    as of now i have done the most xc riding (hard technical) and a small amount of fr and dh but i need more travel to do more of those which i want to start doing. i have had many other people recomend the AC b/c it can do pretty much every thing and do it well. so let me know if you think that the AC will work for fr dh and hard xc (occasionaly lighter xc)

mtbr member
    Freeride - Yes.
    D/H - Yes.
    XC - Yes.

Hard Technical - Definitely!

I've done some pretty large epics (up to 34 milers) with some pretty stout crankers on much lighter rigs...and I've been able to hang with them pretty well. I'm no lightweight by any means either - I'm 5'6" and tip the scale at 180-185lbs. My AC outweighs most of the other rigs by 7lbs easy. If that's what you normally ride - that's what you're used to and you're that much stronger because of it too.

The Swinger shock is amazing too - make sure you take the time to set it up right and gradually work on the setup until you get it to your liking. My baby climbs great! Mind you - not like some "stick boy" 24lb racing XC rig, but for what it's capable of the AC is truly an All Conditions bike. At the same time - you wouldn't want to be slugging through some hard core technical terrain, hitting ledges, lifts and drops on that 24lb XC rig now would you?
    Phillipians 2:3-8 "...but (Christ) made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant..."

mtbr member

yes

I love my AC. I do epic xc rides on it too. however, the psylo sucks specially if you are over 150 lbs. Also changed to MRP, tires, rear derailler, stem, and want to change the rear sus. and I am always breaking spokes on the rear wheel. If you have the $ just get the frame.

mtbr member
    I started with a 2002 AC Air Lite. Broke the frame and Giant warrantied it with a sweet 2003 AC-1 Frame with a Swinger Coil 4-Way.

After smooshing a wheel I went with Sun Singletracks front and rear with 14ga straight spokes. No problems since then.

I also ditched the Psylo (I'm a tad over 180lbs)...and found a sweet deal on a used Sherman Firefly. The Psylo is a wet noodle by comparison - the Sherman is unbelievable.

Geritol Power

... and if we just ... AC is good for you

Quote Originally Posted by bikeforlife
    any input is helpful
    I never had a full susp bike, didn't know much about them. I have ridden motocross since I was 7. Saw a used AC and it just looked right to me. My local Performance had a clearance sale on last years models, cheap!

Great bike, truely "all conditions". I ride this bike almost every day after work. Sooo much fun. I'll ride it for a couple of years at least then get a Ventana El Cuervo or El Chumaco or something like that, something a little more DH/FR.

Sorry for the crappy pict. I'm just lazy.

Chris

EDIT: Also look at the Weyless XP or Cannondale Gemini 900 in the same price range as an AC.
    Last edited by Duzitall; 06-21-2008 at 03:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i think i'm going to get one but i was thinking about getting a used one off the classifieds or ebay because i don't have enough money to get a new one. theres a guy selling an 03 AC 2 for 1300 that he says was ridden for about 4 months and wasn't ridden very hard. this is whats on it
    Brakes:hayes HFX-9
    Front shock:sherman 6"(just factory rebuilt)
    rear shock:manitou swinger 4-way(new)
    rims:ryno lites;
    rear hub:XT; front and rear der.:XT
    cranks:race face prodigy DH;
    Shifters: LX;
    Pedals:shimano 424(new);
    seat:WTB laser V(new)
    seatpost,bar and stem:titec;
    Tires:hutchinson octapus(new)
    i was just wondering if 1300 sound like an ok price to ayn one else out there it does to me. let me know what you think

Geritol Power
    It can't have a 6" Sherman because the 150mm has a 1.5 steerer. It's either a 170mm DC or a 130mm SC. Both are good forks.

Sounds like a great bike for the money. Tell him you only have $1,150

Good luck,

Chris

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeforlife
    i think i'm going to get one but i was thinking about getting a used one off the classifieds or ebay because i don't have enough money to get a new one. theres a guy selling an 03 AC 2 for 1300
    Check out performance before you buy. You should be able to get a brand new one for a few hundred more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

buy new!

$1300 is enough for a used bike, although the Sherman would have to be better than the Psylo. I just got a new 03 for $1500 and I've heard of people getting them a little cheaper than that. Either way you can't go wrong. The AC's are great bikes! You can almost ride any trail with this one bike. It is a bit of a pig on the climbs but you can make them if you have time.

No Brakes
    Since no one has answer my question on another thread, could someone let me know what size is the front derailluer and what type I need to use? I know it's a top pull but not sure on whether it's a top swing or bottom swing.

BTW, I'm building my AC from scratch...here are the parts so far:

03' 17" AC
    03' Marz Z1 FR

heheh...that's all for now yeah, it's gonna take a while but I have my NRS to keep me going until it's built with what I want and how I like it.

Thanks much everyone!

NoBrakes

Geritol Power
    AC's come with a Shimano Deore-XT FD-M750. It works that's all I know.

Good luck with your build.

Chris

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Duzitall
    It can't have a 6" Sherman because the 150mm has a 1.5 steerer. It's either a 170mm DC or a 130mm SC. Both are good forks.

Sounds like a great bike for the money. Tell him you only have $1,150

Good luck,

Chris
    i looked at an old summer 2003 JensonUSA catalog that was laying around my room and there is a 6" 152mm fork that has a normal sized steerer tube its the double crowned sherman slider

Geritol Power
    Really, 152mm slider eh? Prolly doesn't weigh any more than my boat anchor Z150FR.

Be sure to share some pictures of whatever you end up with.

Chris