mtbr member
    Nov 2005

should I ditch my NRS?

I custom built my NRS from frame with specially picked components to minimize both cost & weight. The result is a 23+ pound full-suspension bike that cost me only $2400. it was even lighter before I changed to 2.1 tires from 1.95 and installed a gravity dropper post.

i'm not very happy with the harshness of the suspension & downhilling ability. and i'm thinking of getting a more active suspension bike like a trance. But the weight of the trance is scaring me. For $2k you get a 30lb bike. yikes!

7 pounds is a lot of added weight. i'm afraid i will be unhappy climbing with a bike that heavy coming from a 23 pounder now.

so it seems either be happy climbing or be happy descending but not both.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by brakejack
    I custom built my NRS from frame with specially picked components to minimize both cost & weight. The result is a 23+ pound full-suspension bike that cost me only $2400. it was even lighter before I changed to 2.1 tires from 1.95 and installed a gravity dropper post.

i'm not very happy with the harshness of the suspension & downhilling ability. and i'm thinking of getting a more active suspension bike like a trance. But the weight of the trance is scaring me. For $2k you get a 30lb bike. yikes!

7 pounds is a lot of added weight. i'm afraid i will be unhappy climbing with a bike that heavy coming from a 23 pounder now.

so it seems either be happy climbing or be happy descending but not both.
    Yeah, dump it. Put it in a box and send it down to Mexico to my attention. I'll dispose it properly.

It looks like you didn't much reasearch before buying. If something scares people away from the NRS's is that they're harsh as a hardtail and pedal like one.

Also, Giants have never been famour for being light but rather durable.

All in all, I'm sad to say that you got the wrong bike. Look at an Antherm.

Gravity Dropper on a NRS??? What are you doing with it?
    Check my Site

Freshly Fujified

Intended usage

Sounds like you built up a nice light f/s racing bike, which is what the NRS was designed for and marketed as. It's going to be difficult IMO to find a lightweight bike that's going to climb well, descend well, and soak up all the bumps. There are definite compromises as you can see. The only way to get everything you want is by spending $$$. If you're trying to stay under the $2K mark, you'll find a bike that climbs well, ascends well, and soaks up the bumps, but as you can see, the compromise is weight.

Your NRS is a nice bike, but is it designed for your intended usage? Doesn't seem like it. I hope you find a suitable compromise.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

MBAA!
    The NRS is more designed, in my opinion, for rolling and smooth singletrack. In no way should it be used as a dowhill bike (mind you, once you climb a hill.. whatever comes up must come down) as its main use. The Trance is heavy but you wont feel the weight, its a very fast bike.
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

mtbr member

Ditch It

I've been seeing Racer X 03 and 04 models going for around 2000 on ebay. Man I missed one the other day that was Red w/ a Fox 100x , xtr everything, xtr wheelset, and it went for 2400. O man I was outbid by a nose. The seller claimed it to be 22 pounds and I believe it!

MTB B'dos
    I've never riden a NRS so I can't really comment on coming from a lighter bike, but can comment on the way the Trance is........Wonderful The Trance is such a lovely bike to ride, climbs very well and decends the same. To me the only time I notice the weight is when I have to hike a Bike or lift someone elses light weight S/M bike (mine's Xl so the heaviest frame of them u can get) I couldn't be happier. As suggested maybe look at a Anthem, although from your discription of ur riding I think the Trance would better suite u. U can find the '05 framesets on sale now for $700.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Lynx has the idea- if you've got some nice light componentry on your NRS now, buy a trance or anthem frame and do a swap over- NRS is still in high demand as a used item.

The key difference between NRS and Maestro is SAG Which means the rear wheel will drop into ruts/holes whilst also soaking up bumbs and rocks. Essentially with an Anthem or Trance you'll have a smoother, constantly active suspension platform to ride with

The key difference between Anthem and Trance is:
    a) Geometry- Anthem is 100% XC race geom- stretched out... Trance is more relaxed (in between DH and XC geometry)- more up right and more comfortable for longer rides
    b) Travel- there's only 0.7" of a difference, but it still has a huge effect on the ride. You will feel more of the trail with Anthem, it is suited to well groomed XC singletrack... the Trance will absorb bumbs and hole much better.

I'm guessing that when you say Downhilling you really mean that it's the part of the trail after the climb... If this is what you enjoy most then I'd suggest the Trance.