KWR
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Shock length for '08 Trance X2

Hello MTBR Community,

This is my first post and I know my question will be easy as I have seen the depth of knowledge here on this site. I purchased a 2008 Trance X2 and was interested in changinging out the rear shock to an RP2 or RP23. Based on the cost difference vs. adjustability, could you give me any suggestions as well as what size (L x Dia.) shock to purchase? I will probably search ebay for the best price.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    its 7.25x1.75.. a non standard, giant trance x specific shock. you'd have to buy a new shock from giant.. which would suck, and be expensive.

all though i supposed you could measure the frame and put a 7.5x.2.0 shock on there and have a 5.7 inch travel, 69.8ish HT angle trance x..

KWR
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks tomsmoto! I will look into that. It's unfortunate that Giant has dictated where one has to go for a replacement or upgrade.

Do you have any thoughts about the RP2 vs. the RP23?

Thanks,

Kevin

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    the trance is a great bike.. maestro is a great suspension! i think it works best with propedal OFF.. a major reason why i think the float R is the worst possible choice for the bike!

i only flip propedal on when im chugging down a road, or up a very lame graded fireroad.. even then it doesnt help all that much.

i think the rp2 is the better choice. you hardly even need propedal, much less 3 different settings of it. the majority of your riding will be with the propedal completely off, it'll climb and descend better.. its nice to flick that switch for the grind back to the car or what have you though.