mtbr member

Shimano Upgrade?

Hello all, looking for help/input for my Anthem X 29r. Currently running the SRAM x7 front and x9 rear which constantly requires adjustment, cant stop the ghost shifting, so I want to upgrade to the Shimano XT or XTR front and rear. I can't find information for the correct kit or parts for my bike. Looking for part numbers, prices, vendors and please opinions. I upgraded from the avids to xt and really like the feel, should have done that the day I bought the bike.

Thanks in advance

Ron P

mtbr member
    I have an Anthem X 29er with the same component spec and I don't have any ghost shifting or alignment issues. The brand (SRAM vs Shimano) isn't your issue, it's likely your cable routing. It's cheaper to redo the cable runs than to change the entire drivetrain. I'd do this first as your component spec isn't the reason why you're experiencing ghost shifting.

Just trying to save you some money (and a free bump!).

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I had ghost shifting with the same Sram setup because the B tension was too high. And yes, it was set that way by a shop.

The B tension is the screw that faces rearwards where the derailleur bolts on. It controls the angle that it sits relative to the cassette. Too little tension and the pulley will hit the biggest cog; too much and you get mid cassette ghost shifting.

It's also possible that the derailleur hanger is bent.

If that doesn't fix it or it's already set properly you have cable problems. Changing to Shimano derailleurs will require new shifters as well. If you're looking for an excuse to go Shimano.......otherwise just get new cable inner and outer.

While going from Avid to Shimano brakes may be generally considered an upgrade [I'm quite happy with and have no trouble with my Avids so it does happen] X9 stuff is about equivalent to XT and XTR is only lighter. I happen to prefer Sram shifters ergonomically, but don't notice any difference in the performance of what's out back.

mtbr member
    I did end up swapping out my Elixirs for Shimano XT brakes and I was glad I did. I needed to buy separate shifter clamps, though. I tried problem solvers for the SRAM/Shimano interface, but I didn't like the ergonomics so I just went with dedicated shifter clamps.

B tension adjustment help: Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog Rear Derailler Adjustments (derailleur)

mtbr member
    Thanks, that is good info,the very reason I asked for opinions also. I will go check out the Park Tool site.