mtbr member
    Feb 2013

No good Shimano brake SRAM shifter mount

Alright I've searched for awhile and can't find anything on my brake/shifter issue. Aparantly I'm the only one that doesn't know. I have the trance x1 with crappy elixir brakes. Just got my shimano slx replacements. Yeah. Started install and realized that the SRAM shifter and elixir brake is some sort of integrated pkg. take the brake off and there is nothing to hold the shifter on the bar. What to do?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Shimano brake SRAM shifter mount

Buy a set of SRAM shifter brackets or better yet a set of Problems Solvers Mismatch Adapters. They aren't cheap but they work great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I looked up the problem solvers. Looks good probably an order only item though. Going to have to to put the avids back on and stomach it one more weekend

mtbr member
    Just did the same thing, except I went with XTs. The clamps that come with the bikes are Matchmakers. I ended up ordering the dedicated shifter clamp (XO model from the small parts catalogue, X0, X9, it's all the same clamp). $25 a side.

One thing, is that my shifters are not in the ideal position due to the clamp interface of the XTs. With the stock Avid's, I had a perfect ergonomic setup for the shifters relative to the brakes. Now, not so much, but nothing too serious.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

I have the Mismatch adapters on 2 of my bikes. One has Zee brakes w X9 shifters, and the other has XT brakes w X0 shifters. Here are pics of the XT/X0:
    Shimano brake SRAM shifter mount-imageuploadedbytapatalk1368487215.034659.jpg
    Shimano brake SRAM shifter mount-imageuploadedbytapatalk1368487227.510554.jpg
    Shimano brake SRAM shifter mount-imageuploadedbytapatalk1368487237.462578.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Nice . I ordered the problem solvers. Hopefully get them by the weekend. I was going to get the xt for the same price but then the slx was on a good sale. Got cheap.lol. Hated having to ride with the slx brakes sitting in a box. Turned up the music but still heard squealing.

mtbr member
    where did you order those problem solvers from? those pics look to be a solution i'm looking for

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Jenson. I think u can get hem off their website too. I just needed a seat and got free shipping.

mtbr member
    Excellent! Wish I would have known about this before! Will be looking into this today.

mtbr member
    Just ordered from Jensen! Thanks for the pictures and the responses in this thread!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

I got mine from Tree Fort Bikes which happens to be my LBS. Great shop and they price matched both sets for me. Got the first set for $24 and the second set for $29.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    dang thats less than what i paid. i'll still be happy, if it works. I was't sure about sram drivetrain but it definitely grew on me. definitely want to keep it. avid on the other hand.... I have the same elixirs on my 26" camber and it stops way better but has 203/185 rotors..but god awful noisy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Dammit. The rear break line is at least a foot short. Thanks shimano!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Problem solver directions were no help too small. Go to the website and open the PDF direction and blow pic 1. Everything will make sense after that. Looks good. Can't test it out because the freakin brake line is so shot the bars can't be turned.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    i bought an icetech rotor, 180mm, too, it seems to have a slight warp in it. just enough to brush the brake pads on every revolution.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have a Trance 29 X 2, which has stock X5 shifters and Shimano m395 brakes. I just ordered a set of new XT brakes. Has anyone done this yet? I assumed if I already have Shimano brakes on ther that the XT should fit too, but now I'm getting concerned...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hophead1 View Post
    i bought an icetech rotor, 180mm, too, it seems to have a slight warp in it. just enough to brush the brake pads on every revolution.
    Crescent wrench, easy fix. Just take your time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by XyesterdayX View Post
    I have a Trance 29 X 2, which has stock X5 shifters and Shimano m395 brakes. I just ordered a set of new XT brakes. Has anyone done this yet? I assumed if I already have Shimano brakes on ther that the XT should fit too, but now I'm getting concerned...
    No problems if your shifter and brake brackets are separate.,have to get an adapter if you have an integrated bracket where both attach to the same clamp. Apparently the trance 29er requires a 1700mm rear brake line. At least the large does.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Did you end up getting it all sorted Hop?

I have the same bike (X1 29er) but in a Medium, I'm also in the process of upgrading the brakes as they are useless...
    I know how to resolve the shifter issue now thanks to this thread.

As for the brake line, did you get this sorted? on the last post you say it needs a 1700mm length cable, the rear brake should come this long out of the box.

Cheers,
    -TJ

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    all of the ones i looked at online come with a 1400mm, which is probably perfect for all 26 wheel frames. the shop said they are ordering the correct hose. i don't know if its the jagwire hyflow hose that wont work or if they need some special adapters. this is a real pita.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    All set, albeit with the expense of a new brake cable. All of the shimano stuff comes with a 1400. At least everything I found. The problem solvers are awesome. Ice tec rotors on the way even though the brakes are already good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    BUMP. Anyone got anything working with the "newer style" iSpec? Looks like Shimano switched their iSpec styles for 2013-2014 parts.

The Problem Solvers adapters work with the "old style" or conventional type, but not the new one.

My new XTR brakes are the new kind, and look like they need the "In the case of B" in the picture above.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    BUMP. Anyone got anything working with the "newer style" iSpec? Looks like Shimano switched their iSpec styles for 2013-2014 parts.

The Problem Solvers adapters work with the "old style" or conventional type, but not the new one.

My new XTR brakes are the new kind, and look like they need the "In the case of B" in the picture above.

Thoughts?
    Any updates on this? I'm in the same situation, I've got the newer I spec brakes and it won't work. Where did you get this diagram from? Have you found the hardware in "situation B" to complete the job?
    Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Got nothin so far. Decided not to pursue it. The forks I have, have lockout anyways, so I hooked up the lockout to the right brake lever. If I did shifter/brake, I'd still need a 2nd mount for the lockout, so I just did lockout/brake, and shifter separately.

-Tom

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Anybody know anything about the Matshi, made by Trickstuff (German bike parts co)? It is supposed to mount a SRAM shifter to Shimano I-Spec-B (new) brake.

Trickstuff

No US distribution, so it needs to be purchased direct or from a European dealer.