mtbr member

Shimano 486 brakes on Anthem X3 - Decent?

I have almost convinced myself that an Anthem X3 is the right choice (vs. the Anthem X2) for me. The ~$800 price delta has caused me to look at what each of the upgrades are worth to me. I plan to upgrade the shifters and rear der. after a while to XT (about $160), but I am unsure on the brakes.

Can anyone provide some feedback on the Shimano 486 brakes? I am sure they won't have the same feel/linearity/modulation as the higher end brakes - but do they work reasonably well? Easy to maintain and adjust? Other thoughts?

I have perfomed several searches and read the Giant and Brake Time forums, but I only seem to find info on the recalled 485 calipers.

Thanks in advance for your input - can't wait to buy my new bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BTLS
    I have almost convinced myself that an Anthem X3 is the right choice (vs. the Anthem X2) for me. The ~$800 price delta has caused me to look at what each of the upgrades are worth to me. I plan to upgrade the shifters and rear der. after a while to XT (about $160), but I am unsure on the brakes.

Can anyone provide some feedback on the Shimano 486 brakes? I am sure they won't have the same feel/linearity/modulation as the higher end brakes - but do they work reasonably well? Easy to maintain and adjust? Other thoughts?

I have perfomed several searches and read the Giant and Brake Time forums, but I only seem to find info on the recalled 485 calipers.

Thanks in advance for your input - can't wait to buy my new bike!
    They are just revamped (lighter) hydraulic Deore disc brakes. The power and modulation is really good. The only weird thing I have read about them is that they only have resin pads for them. This is fine for XC in good weather. If you have some long DH runs or ride in wet weather the resin pads wear FAST. Some one probably has, or will make a semi metallic pad for them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I had a pair. Modulation was actually very very good on them. Very smooth. Levers were small but were very comfortable. Stopping power was average. I'm sure you will be very happy with them.

mtbr member
    They do look similar to some Deore brakes but they’re actually Alivio level, very low. Deore has a new and completely different lever for 2009. Anyway, the Alivio brakes are fine...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input - exactly what I was looking for.