mtbr member

Sheared Dropout Screw

Suffice to say I've been none too gentle with my 27.5 Trance 3. I'm a relative noob, I crash a lot, and just can't bring myself to stay comfortably within the bounds of my limits. That said, this bike can REALLY take a beating; I'm thoroughly impressed and I love this bike.

I've managed to somehow shear off the screw/bolt (whatever it is, there's not much left) that holds the rear derailleur hanger and the skewer nut (noob, don't know technical term) onto the rear dropout.

This makes R&R of the rear tire a three handed job...(wait for giggles...)

OK, so my super awesome LBS dude (no joke, he's the da man) called Giant and they said that dropout parts won't be available until December; but I could go to Lowes/Home Depot or such and find a screw/bolt to replace it.

The problem is there isn't enough left of mine to match up. I was wondering if anyone in this stellar community might have a similar ride and be able to look at theirs and give me an idea of what I need. Or, if there's a Giant rep on here who could give me the specs of that particular screw/bolt that would help as well. See the attached pic for reference.

Thanks in advance!

Sheared Dropout Screw-dropout.jpg

mtbr member
    Well, for anyone interested and for the sake of posterity, I found a suitable replacement screw.

I found that a M3x0.5x16 machine screw works sufficiently well to reattach the derailleur and hold the "skewer nut" in place. A dab of blue Loc-Tite (like from the factory) and we're back in business. It's not a critical piece (from my observation), but it makes re-installing the rear wheel significantly easier.

Once the parts are available from Giant however, I'm going to take them up on the option of going to a full 12mm thru-axle setup.

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting the size! I'm also going to upgrade to the 12mm as soon as possible. That screw is a joke. Mine bent, and it took me multiple tries during a race to get the axle back in place after fixing a flat because the hanger was moving out of alignment. I didn't figure out the cause of the problem until my second flat... and then I busted my chain trying to make up all the lost time (20 minutes versus 5 or 7 that may have been lost to change two flats) while working up the steepest climb in the race. I got my first DEAD LAST finish ever (but at least I didn't join the 25 drop-outs). Which brings me to my next point: upgrade to a Shimano chain at your first opportunity! I also upgraded the rear tire to a sidewall-protected Conti that supports my 170 lbs better; too many pinch flats with those super flexible Nobby Nics. Besides those three things, I love the bike as well, and it really is amazing at the price point.