RZK
    mtbr member
    May 2004

SGF rocker arm installation question

I just tried installing a set of SGF rocker arms to my bike. I noticed that the stock arms have two washers at the seat stay attaching point. A small metal washer toward the tire side and a large plastic washer on the opposite side. I also noticed that the bearing cut out on the same attaching point is sized differently from one side of arm to the other.
    On the SGF rocker arms, these bearing cut outs are exactly opposite from the original arms. Consequently, I cannot attach the arms to the seat stays with the plastic washers in place.

Anyone with SGF rocker arms have the same problem?

RZK
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RZK
    I just tried installing a set of SGF rocker arms to my bike. I noticed that the stock arms have two washers at the seat stay attaching point. A small metal washer toward the tire side and a large plastic washer on the opposite side. I also noticed that the bearing cut out on the same attaching point is sized differently from one side of arm to the other.
    On the SGF rocker arms, these bearing cut outs are exactly opposite from the original arms. Consequently, I cannot attach the arms to the seat stays with the plastic washers in place.

Anyone with SGF rocker arms have the same problem?
    Got a ultra quick response back from SGF. Apparantely, you can run with or without the plastic washer depending on your seat stays. Oh well, I guess this posting may be useful for future reference...

Powered by Pulvoron
    RZK,
    run the plastic washer. it will lessen the wear when the rocker link and seatstay flex upon each other and also sand and dirt.

dirt diggler

RZK
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt diggler
    RZK,
    run the plastic washer. it will lessen the wear when the rocker link and seatstay flex upon each other and also sand and dirt.

dirt diggler
    I would like to, but the link won't fit into the seatstays with the washer in place. I might go to a hardware store to see if they have any thinner washers.

mtbr member
    Did you ever get this resolved? I am having the same issue.

RZK
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbcyclist
    Did you ever get this resolved? I am having the same issue.
    Nope. I ended up not using any washers. Everything seems to be working fine without them. I haven't seen or felt any more flex than the stock arms. I also checked the arms and the seat stays a couple of times since the install and they look fine. I tried looking for some really thin washers, but I could not find any that will fit. It is already a pretty tight fit in there. Anyhow, I have been pretty ruff with the bike since the rocker replacement. With all that travel, who can blame me. My NRS is cush, cush, cush. I will probably end up cracking the frame before I notice any problems with the rocker arms. Hope this info helps.
    Last edited by RZK; 08-09-2004 at 08:46 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RZK
    Nope. I ended up not using any washers. Everything seems to be working fine without them. I haven't seen or felt any more flex than the stock arms. I also checked the arms and the seat stays a couple of times since the install and they look fine. I tried looking for some really thin washers, but I could not find any that will fit. It is already a pretty tight fit in there. Anyhow, I have been pretty ruff with the bike since the rocker replacement. With all that travel, who can blame me. My NRS is cush, cush, cush. I will probably end up cracking the frame before I notice any problems with the rocker arms. Hope this info helps.

I had the same problem, SGF told me that I didnt have to use the washer also. But I ended up shoving it in anyways. It took awhile but I got it in

RZK
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002NRS
    I had the same problem, SGF told me that I didnt have to use the washer also. But I ended up shoving it in anyways. It took awhile but I got it in
    I also tried. Almost used up a entire tube of KY. Still no go. Apparantely, mine was too big...

mtbr remember
    I have an 03 NRS frame and I couldn't fit the washers either. So far so good though. Now that I have this extra travel I wish the frame were beefier than it is.
    Schralp it Heavy.

openwound

plastic bushing/washer

I'm running the arms on my '01 and it all went back together without a hitch.

I'm really enjoying the additional travel and re-learning to ride my nrs. It's very different with the addition of the arm and a 100mm fork -- feels much more upright. Like others, I kinda wonder how much I'm accelerating the demise of this frame but whatever, I see them for sale all the time and will just buy another when this one fails...

:\

mtbr member
    Got them in with the spacers. Very tight, but they will wear a bit. Can't wait to try them. Will try them thursday night on some pretty rough trails and will post a review.

mtbr remember
    What year NRS is everybody riding? Are you guys running the heavy duty SGF rockers? I looked at mine after a ride the other day and there appears to be a lot of space between the outside of the new rocker and the outer edge of the seatstay- only on the drive-train side? I don't remember if it was like that when I installed them, but it is bothering me now that I noticed it. Both bolts are threaded in the same amount and there is no play, but there is more clearance on the drivetrain side??? It's like one of the bearings or metal washers got crushed or something. Whats' the deal, anybody else have this issue?
    Schralp it Heavy.

openwound

sgf rockers

--What year NRS is everybody riding?--

Are you guys running the heavy duty SGF rockers?
    Yes.

-- Whats' the deal, anybody else have this issue?---
    Hmm, nope. Take one side apart, look at what came out, in what order. Maybe take pics if you can. Lay the stuff out in the order it came off, then take apart the other side. What's different?

Rode my bike again today. Still working to get the pressure "right." Feels a little soft, though not in a bad way...

I love Pisgah
    Yes. Its VERY easy to put it back together wrong at first. I learned the hard way. Now I can swap'm out in 5 minutes..both sides.

mtbr member
    No issues yet, and none that you speak of. Only have on ride on the new rocker arm setup though, and a sweet ride it was. Bike rides MUCH better. My buddy chralie the hurricane kind of put a damper on the off road scene here in NC for a bit. Glad I got a road bike too.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    I just serviced my rear sus and wondered if anyone installing the SGF rockers had this problem. The shaft for the main bearings on my NRS has some corrosion and will not come out. I replaced every bearing/bushing but the right rocker main bearing and just gave up on the darn thing!
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Need help with SG install

So I just got my SG rockers, took apart my old rockers, and dropped my part-cup on the floor with bolts, spacers, and bushings going everywhere. Now I have a washer that I have no idea where it goes. I have a 2001 NRS. To review what I do know:

In front on the shock is the long bolt that screws into the other rocker
    In the middle is a long bolt with a hex head and a female part with the same sized hex part
    At the seat stay there are 2 "washers" , probably really bushings, as they are 3-4X thicker than a washer and these go in the inside of each seat stay.

Now the problem : I have one small black washer left over, and it looks like it is for a bolt the size of the shock bolt , the one that goes all the way through the shock and screws into the other rocker.

Am I missing something here? I did not find a second washer, and the washer I do have left is metal.

The bike seems to ride ok . . .

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    BUMP!!!
    Any of y'all wreck 'yer framez, and have an extra set of these HD rockers kicking around?
    I basically 'inherited' a carbon NRS, and would like to give these a go on the cheap...
    I'm a' beggin' here!
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."