mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Set Up That Vt For Race?

I will be racing my 2003 VT2. I would like to know if there is any problems with the VT from stock that might need an upgrade. So I can fix it before. thanks

mtbr member
    I can't honestly answer your question because I built mine from the frame up using the components from my previous FS bike (XT/XTR combo) but after studying the components on the VT2 from '03 I'm willing to say that it can be raced with the OEM components.

Don't replace stuff just for racing, if it's going to be a race bike only then swap parts accordingly. If it's going to be your play bike and will race once in a while replace components as they break or wear out.

For racing just make sure that everything is fine tuned and well lubed and off course take with you a multitool, spare tube(s) and a CO2 canister just in case.

My .02.

XC rider/racer

Race Setup

I`ve raced my VT a number of times and have found it quite "raceable" even in stock form.
    It really depends though on what level of performance youre seeking...in stock form its a bit too heavy to be competing against some of the super-light XC racers, but theres a few simple things that can be done here and there to lighten it up and make it more competitive.....some suggestions-

* Stock seat is rather heavy WTB Rocket V is 322g...go for something Ti railed to save around 100g
    * Original Hutchinson Scorpions (as sold OEM here in Aust.) roll well but have poor grip in loose/rocky conditions.....I`d be considering either the Schwalbe Racing Ralphs, or Nokian NBX Lite....each of these are 470g so thats another 60g per tyre over the Scorpions.
    * Some lighter inner tubes....Maxxis Flyweights= 92g each compared to around 150+ on some other brands.
    * Lighter clipless pedals...I went with the Shimano 540....a 90g saving over the stock Shimano 505 pedals
    * Thomson seatpost....buying a 30.8mm will allow you to ditch the shim (38g) which holds the stock seatpost, for a total saving of 62g...and you`ve got a stronger seatpost then as well.
    I guess i could go on and on, but these are just a couple of mods I`ve done to mine and overall its shaved an easy one pound of weight off my bike....and it feels a lot better for it.
    Rotating weight reduction would offer you the best bang for buck, so i be giving a high priority to tyres/tubes/pedals.
    Good luck in your race.
    Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

jessej
    Apr 2004
    Andy,
    Dude, we have the same bike, I love mine, I'm thinking about replacing the spring in the front fork to a stiffer spring. Do you find it a little soft for stock? They sell them at the LBS for $35. I keep bottoming out and there adjusted all the way out. I weigh 175Lbs . To bad you live on the other side of the earth, how's the weather over there?

XC rider/racer

Spring....

My spring seems quite fine for my weight ( I weigh just under 160lbs) and i havent bottomed it out ...yet
    I did read an article in a Aussie MTB mag where they made comment that heavier riders may find it beneficial to fit a heavier spring to the Manitou Black Comps.
    Weather here has been fine and very very dry....its autumn and most of the trails around here are just dust and powder. We`re very fortunate though to be able to ride year round, no getting snowed in.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I was riding last Saterday, and I was ready to come down the trail threw some nasty rock gardens and took out some air out my rear shock, may be a little to much. But it did not bottom out. This rear shock it awesome.

XC rider/racer

Rear shock

Quote Originally Posted by eclypse_805
    I was riding last Saterday, and I was ready to come down the trail threw some nasty rock gardens and took out some air out my rear shock, may be a little to much. But it did not bottom out. This rear shock it awesome.
    Yes, thats the beauty of the Swinger rear shock, it`s adjustability lets the VT handle virtually any terrain you care to ride it through
    Cheers