Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sin Rider
    Jan 2004

Sent photos of defect on Reign to Giant for warranty?

Well looks like frame probaly is not cracked. There is a paint defect around welds on the shock cage though. So the local bike dealer just sent pictures to Giant to see what thay can do. I hate to be pushy about just the paint but the bike is brand new. Also, if I would ever need to sell it would take the value down because on the paint defect. So I will keep posted if Giant stands behind there 1 year free of defects on the paint.
    Fly Rider

Too Kool for Skool
    uh not to be an ass but why do you need three topics about the same thing?? your bike is new though and yes giant should warrent you
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    it's short but it's pretty.... just like a guatemalan hooker...

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by theg1ant
    uh not to be an ass but why do you need three topics about the same thing?? your bike is new though and yes giant should warrent you
    UH.....................ADHD I geuss!!!
    Fly Rider

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Stop sweating a little scratch in the paint and just ride it.You will add lots of little scratches to keep that scratch company.When its time to sell it fix them all at once or just let it blend in with the rest.

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrutis
    Stop sweating a little scratch in the paint and just ride it.You will add lots of little scratches to keep that scratch company.When its time to sell it fix them all at once or just let it blend in with the rest.
    This is true but when you pay this much money you should exspect more. Other frames in this price range have better quality paint. What if everyone just did not bother. Giant would not try and upgrade its paint quality. So I would say for a sub $500 frame yes dont worry. Not for a $1000 plus frame.
    Fly Rider

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Just seams like your causing yourself some uneaded stress over not that much.Simple fix,go to local auto parts store and they usually sell auto touch up paint in little containers,shouldnt cost that much.Match it up as close as possible,done.Keep the rest for future scratches.You should have bought the R2,its so ugly im trying to get it scratched up for an excuse to paint it.

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004
    Just seams like your causing yourself some uneaded stress over not that much.Simple fix,go to local auto parts store and they usually sell auto touch up paint in little containers,shouldnt cost that much.Match it up as close as possible,done.Keep the rest for future scratches.You should have bought the R2,its so ugly im trying to get it scratched up for an excuse to paint it.
    I am not that worried about paint. You are missing the point. You should get what you pay for.
    Fly Rider

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Your right,Im sorry,no go send your frame back to Taiwan,or maybe they will send a paint tech to your house for that massive gash right where 1 chain suck or miss placed branch would also cause a scratch.You should set up a class action suit.Now go and get'em those pinko,commy bastages.HOO-HAA

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004
    Your right,Im sorry,no go send your frame back to Taiwan,or maybe they will send a paint tech to your house for that massive gash right where 1 chain suck or miss placed branch would also cause a scratch.You should set up a class action suit.Now go and get'em those pinko,commy bastages.HOO-HAA
    Now Thats funny and I am not out to get anyone. I have had over the years about 27 frames (Not bragging). I do like Giants bikes but when you compare frames in that price range there a big difference in paint quality. If I would ever start building bikes your the type of person I would want to sell too. My profits would be high because I could charge big bucks and would not need to worry about quality. Besides its just going to get screwed up anyway. Is that not what you are saying?
    Last edited by schnauzer; 01-14-2006 at 08:03 PM.
    Fly Rider

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzer
    Now Thats funny and I am not out to get anyone. I have had over the years about 27 frames (Not bragging). I do like Giants bikes but when you compare frames in that price range there a big difference in paint quality. If I would ever start building bikes your the type of person I would want to sell too. My profits would be high because I could charge big bucks and would not need to worry about quality. Besides its just going to get screwed up anyway. Is that not what you are saying?
    What other price range is there that is cheaper?Pacific,Huffy. Your right in that you would want to sell to me because I would see that the integrity of the frame is fine and that maybe a small blemish is not going to effect the performance of the frame I purchased.If the down tube were dented or dropout bent I would definetly have a problem with that.If it was my fancy road bike I would scream bloody murder. It would take less time for me to fix that scratch then to type this post.It just seems that you are causing yourself alot of stress over nothing and probably the poor shop owner that sold you the bike,I can imagine his eyes rolling when you walk in the door. But hey,we all draw different lines in the sand,if just dont know what you would like them to do.

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ...

What other price range is there that is cheaper?Pacific,Huffy. Your right in that you would want to sell to me because I would see that the integrity of the frame is fine and that maybe a small blemish is not going to effect the performance of the frame I purchased.If the down tube were dented or dropout bent I would definetly have a problem with that.If it was my fancy road bike I would scream bloody murder. It would take less time for me to fix that scratch then to type this post.It just seems that you are causing yourself alot of stress over nothing and probably the poor shop owner that sold you the bike,I can imagine his eyes rolling when you walk in the door. But hey,we all draw different lines in the sand,if just dont know what you would like them to do.
    Well its ok to have two different views. If that was the only problem on that side I could live with it. I could not get pictures to upload of the others that go under the cage and on the other side. I think I will let this rest and respect your side of it and you could do the same. When I first came across this I was more concerned with the fact that it could be cracked. I still dont understand why around the cage on the side of welds paint would be comming off. Thats were you would if you were to get a stress crack it would show up. I am no expert but it maybe frame is flexing causing paint to come off. Who knows thats why I first brought it to there to be looked at. Anyway, like you said some people draw the line at different places and thats cool because who wants everybody exactaly alike. That would make this place pretty boring. As far as what I am wanting them to do. Tell me frame is ok and the paint is not coming off around all sides of cage because of cracks. They can not tell me this because they do not know. Thats why this is really a big deal to me. If when I walked in and they said frame was ok I would have probaly walked out and never said a nother word. I am not pushing the paint defect issue as much as you think I am. If it were just paint I would be dissapointed but only dissapointed. Besides I want to freaking ride not worry about some stupid paint problem.
    Last edited by schnauzer; 01-15-2006 at 11:15 AM.
    Fly Rider

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Im just replying from bordum,been Raining-snowing for 2 days,Ive watched Barney with my kids till the DVD went on fire.You have a point with the welded areas.

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004
    Im just replying from bordum,been Raining-snowing for 2 days,Ive watched Barney with my kids till the DVD went on fire.You have a point with the welded areas.
    You have Rain and snow it's been at least a month since we have seen even a sprickle. I cant remeber when I have seen a winter this warm. Were in a extreme drought and wild fires every were. My kids want snow so bad but looks like not this year. The fact is we average 1 snow day a year and thats it. I live in Texas by the way. Speaking of paint thats what I have been doing all day on my house. Its one thing I cant stand to do but needs it and taking advantage of the warm dry winter.
    Fly Rider

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Keep us posted how you go schnauzer.

Bottom line there is a defect in workmanship, and no matter how big or small, important or unimportant it may be, you have a right to get something done about it.

It's obvious different riders feel differently about how bikes should look or be treated, but that’s not the point here.

It will be interesting to see how Giant respond.

Cheers, Dave.

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Low_Rider
    Keep us posted how you go schnauzer.

Bottom line there is a defect in workmanship, and no matter how big or small, important or unimportant it may be, you have a right to get something done about it.

It's obvious different riders feel differently about how bikes should look or be treated, but that’s not the point here.

It will be interesting to see how Giant respond.

Cheers, Dave.
    Thanks for the incouragement I will you keep posted. I wish I could get all the pictures to upload. The part that is the worst is under the cage. It goes allround the bottom. Much worst that the picture I got to upload.
    Fly Rider

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Email me the photos and I'll see what I can do for you.

Dave.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You have Rain and snow it's been at least a month since we have seen even a sprickle. I cant remeber when I have seen a winter this warm. Were in a extreme drought and wild fires every were. My kids want snow so bad but looks like not this year. The fact is we average 1 snow day a year and thats it. I live in Texas by the way. Speaking of paint thats what I have been doing all day on my house. Its one thing I cant stand to do but needs it and taking advantage of the warm dry winter.
    Look at the post from the other "Schnauzer" in the Jersey forum,Thats what we were dealing with this weakend and I live 75 milesnorth of him,I thought that was you posting in there.Me and my group been riding Giant for years and broke a few of them,they have always been fair and fast with there garantee work.Thats why we keep getting them,they stand behind there product.Cant say that about some "Boutique" frame companys.

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004
    Look at the post from the other "Schnauzer" in the Jersey forum,Thats what we were dealing with this weakend and I live 75 milesnorth of him,I thought that was you posting in there.Me and my group been riding Giant for years and broke a few of them,they have always been fair and fast with there garantee work.Thats why we keep getting them,they stand behind there product.Cant say that about some "Boutique" frame companys.
    Thats strange a nother Schauzer. Did not think that would happen but was not me. Checked it out and he is schauzers with a s. Also, Thats why I purchased a Giant because of there Rep on standing behind there products. The Boutigue manufacters make some cool frames but I would hate to try and get one warranted. Just read some of there forums and you can see what kind of problems some people have had. Exspecialy Ellsworth on there so called life time warranty they ust to have.
    Last edited by schnauzer; 01-16-2006 at 11:40 AM.
    Fly Rider

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Two Schauzer's hey!! This is doing my head in...

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=Low_Rider]Two Schauzer's hey!! This is doing my head in... [/QUOTE

Did you get the photo's I sent you low rider? If so whats your take on them. The res is not the best I know.
    Fly Rider

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Sorry, I've been a bit slack!!

I'm not too sure what to make of them to be honest!! It will be interesting to see how Giant respond.

Dave.

Here you go:

Freshly Fujified

Giant paint quality

This is one rub against Giant, if memory serves me correctly. I owned a Warp in the stealth black color, and while the paint looked nice originally, it soon became clear that Giant will never be recognized for the paint jobs on their bikes.

While I do sympathize with the OP, and hope Giant takes care of him, it's just something you need to assess when you're choosing what bike to buy. Some manufacturers have a reputation for poor welds. Others don't have a well balanced spec to their bikes. Others just flat out don't stand behind their products. For me personally, the issue of the skimpy paint job was a non issue. Aesthetics aside, the quality of the overall product is very good, and more importantly, Giant represents a very good value (something dear to my heart) and stands behind their products. Hopefully they will find a way to resolve the OP's problem.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    This is one rub against Giant, if memory serves me correctly. I owned a Warp in the stealth black color, and while the paint looked nice originally, it soon became clear that Giant will never be recognized for the paint jobs on their bikes.

While I do sympathize with the OP, and hope Giant takes care of him, it's just something you need to assess when you're choosing what bike to buy. Some manufacturers have a reputation for poor welds. Others don't have a well balanced spec to their bikes. Others just flat out don't stand behind their products. For me personally, the issue of the skimpy paint job was a non issue. Aesthetics aside, the quality of the overall product is very good, and more importantly, Giant represents a very good value (something dear to my heart) and stands behind their products. Hopefully they will find a way to resolve the OP's problem.

Bob
    Thats the only thing I dont like about Giants. I have had a AC 1 and a VT 1 and 2 and all great bikes but paint is the pits. Looks great when new but not very lasting. I wish they would start doing powder coat or Ano. It would be worth it to me to pay a little more. I am not sure they will do anything about this paint but I decided to push because it truley only has one ride on it. I dont know anyone that has sent there frame in for a paint defect. If the frame cracks from what I here there really good. Will see I am still waiting Giant's responce. In there warranty it states they have a 1 year free of defects on paint. I think either drop that out of the warranty or do something about there paint issue. If they take care of me on this then great they stood behind all of there warranty. One reason I keep comming back is they stand behind there frames if they should fail.
    Fly Rider

Freshly Fujified

My guess

Thats the only thing I dont like about Giants. I have had a AC 1 and a VT 1 and 2 and all great bikes but paint is the pits. Looks great when new but not very lasting. I wish they would start doing powder coat or Ano. It would be worth it to me to pay a little more. I am not sure they will do anything about this paint but I decided to push because it truley only has one ride on it. I dont know anyone that has sent there frame in for a paint defect. If the frame cracks from what I here there really good. Will see I am still waiting Giant's responce. In there warranty it states they have a 1 year free of defects on paint. I think either drop that out of the warranty or do something about there paint issue. If they take care of me on this then great they stood behind all of there warranty. One reason I keep comming back is they stand behind there frames if they should fail.
    Giant will recognize the defect in workmanship and offer a replacement frame (or partial refund, if Giant does that sort of thing). Unfortunately, with a replacement frame they may want you to foot the cost of swapping out parts. Not very fair, but I believe that's the terms of their warranty. Let's wait and see.

As for Giant doing ano or powder coat, my guess is that maintaining a given price point will stop them from offering a better paint job. Not to downplay how important a bike's looks are, but if I read Giant correctly as a vendor, their reputation is built more on the quality of the bike design, and component spec compared to other manufacturer's bikes in a given price range. Those are what make or break a bike, IMO. Paint, unfortnately, is a ncecessary evil, and is one whose cost can be significant from both a material and time standpoint. In essence, skimp on the paint rather than design and components, and you have a better bike at a cheaper cost to your consumer.

I'm droning on here, and probably stating the obvious, so I'll end my post and again state that I hope the resolution to the problem is one that you can live with.

Best wishes,

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Sin Rider
    Jan 2004

Giant Stands Behind There Warranty!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well Just got word back from Giant on my Paint defect. There going to replace the frame. That said Giant did just what there warranty say's they'll do. I am really impressed by the way Giant stands behind what they sell. Anyway, Just wanted to pass the word on that Giant is a first class company and how impressed I am !
    Fly Rider

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast