mtbr member
    Sep 2005

New question here. Seatpost Giant Trance2

Hi!
    since my birthday i have my new bike: a trance2

now i have an important question:

how deep u can insert your seatpost into the seattube? is anybody able to give me some informations?

i want to know if its normal that the seatpost is unable to get deeper than aprox. 20cm into the seattube because there is an edge...

it´s not very comfortable if u ride a difficult trail and you´re unable to insert your seatpost completely....

greetings, niki

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    it depends of the size of the frame. For a L (20") frame, the seatpost (350 mm) can go all the way down, for M and S, it bumps in the bent part of the seattube.

If you can, just cut your seatpost (leave 80 mm inside when you are in the up position), and you will manage to go further down in the down position...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thx for your answer!

I have a M frame.... if I cut my seatpost, it will be to short for me..... i thouhgt over that possibility.... but it is no solution!

I think it is a little bit strange.... because you can read the full logo of "race face" on the seatpost when i insert the seatpost until the last point..... so it is really not very deep in the seattube....

Is that normal?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Niiiki
    I think it is a little bit strange.... because you can read the full logo of "race face" on the seatpost when i insert the seatpost until the last point..... so it is really not very deep in the seattube....
    Is that normal?
    I don't know, does this length inside the tube correspond to to bent part of the seattube?
    It's normal that your seatpost bang in the bent part, but it should not touch anything before the bent part!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jessmoi
    I don't know, does this length inside the tube correspond to to bent part of the seattube?
    It's normal that your seatpost bang in the bent part, but it should not touch anything before the bent part!
    I had a similar problem with my 18 frame trance 3. I couldnt get the seat low enough for technical stuff. So i got my 450 cm Thomson bar and chopped it down to a height that would be low enough, but could still be extended higher so that it would still have at least 80-100 cm minimum bar length at the bottom if I needed to put the seat higher.
    I went to my local home depot and the gentleman was kind enough to cut it for me using a pipe cutter (for copper pipes).

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    That is a picture where the seatpost is deepest in the seattube:

So is that normal or not?!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    No idea?

MTB B'dos
    I ride a XL/22" Trance and have a 350mm Easton seattube and can get about 195mm / 7.75" into the tube. I ride with rougly 150mm / 6" of the post in the tube, so I still have about 35mm / 1.75" of post I could use to lower the seat if needed - I don't, but could if I needed - most I lower my seat (rarely ever) is a 2cm / .75".

With your much smaller frame you will get a lot less room to get the post in, so your only option may be to cut down you seatpost.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Niiiki
    That is a picture where the seatpost is deepest in the seattube:

So is that normal or not?!
    I haven't measured mine, but the picture looks similar to how low my seatpost could go. I am just basing it from the fact that i could only get the seat to the same level as the handlebars. Therefore I had to cut my seatpost. (Pls refer to my previous post. The measurements should be mm not cm.) Hope this helps.

Members who have read this thread: 0