bikerbert

Seat post keeps slipping

I've got an 05 Trance, and my seatpost keeps slipping. I know the size is right (30.9), but it keeps slipping. I've tried a QR and a regular collar, but no luck.

It is wreaking havoc with my racing, because I have to constantly adjust the saddle on the fly. I know it is slipping because I can feel more in my quads, and when I take the measurements of the seat post ride, they are different.

I've got a set back Thompson Elite. This also happened with a RaceFace Deus post as well.

Any help I can get would be great!

THANKS!!!

May contain nuts
    Wierd. One of the nice things about a Thomson is the knurling which means less clamping force is required to keep it in place. I adjust my post height while riding with one hand and it never moves, even with the stock Giant QR. What sort of grease are you using?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Excluding any equipment/component problems (which you should be able to spot quite easily), it definitely sounds to me that the clamp is not tight enough.

I don't think rigid posts are meant to be adjusted on the fly ... so if you can easily adjust it you are either a magician (Merlin himself if no QR clamp), or not doing a very efficient job and leaving it prone to slippage.

If using a QR you should be able to feel decent resistance when closing it with your hand ... not enough to leave a mark, mind you, but definitely some pressure to it. With a basic clamp it is more difficult to tell, but don't worry too much, aluminum posts can withstand quite a bit of clamping force.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I find lubricating the QR pivot can give more clamping force with less effort.

Plus, try wiping any grease from the seatpost and inside the tube where it clamps.

Members who have read this thread: 0