Motion activated

RP3 on a Reign - Can't pump up the shock

Anyone know what they did to make it fit on the 06?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Shock placement

Maybe the shock is pointed more forward on the 06 reign models? Try mounting your shock 180. If you have clearance for the lever facing backward the valve will be accessable.
    Last edited by lightplay; 03-09-2006 at 11:29 AM.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by lightplay
    Maybe the shock is pointed more forward on the 06 reign models? Try mounting your shock 180. If you have clearance for the lever facing backward the valve will be accessable.
    Trouble is if the shock is mounted 180, then I can't move the RP3's blue lever as the rocker gets in the way. I could always just leave the PP lever in the middle and mount the shock 180, then when I'm happy with the air pressure, mount it like is is now. There has to be a better way......
    Last edited by Steve71; 05-23-2006 at 11:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Maybe a valve extension like used by autos to get past the hub cap? Probably need one with male threads for the pump though. It can be removed once the pressure has been set.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yep, check with a local tire supply store. You need a metal valve extension with a threaded tip. Try and find a good one, as some will not hold more than 60 psi.
    See these:

http://automotive.gillroys.com/Tires...n-s581962.html

http://doityourself.com/store/1283092.htm

mtbr member
    hmmm... I didn't think the Maestro suspension required a stable platform shock like the RP3. How did you get air in it the first time or is this not your bike?
    When I get to the bottom I go back to the top of the slide
    Where I stop and I turn and I go for a ride
    Till I get to the bottom and I see you again...

Helter Skelter

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by deoreo
    Yep, check with a local tire supply store. You need a metal valve extension with a threaded tip. Try and find a good one, as some will not hold more than 60 psi.
    See these:

http://automotive.gillroys.com/Tires...n-s581962.html

http://doityourself.com/store/1283092.htm
    Thanks! Hopefully that will do the trick.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by upontwo
    hmmm... I didn't think the Maestro suspension required a stable platform shock like the RP3. How did you get air in it the first time or is this not your bike?
    Maestro suspension still bobs a little without any stable platform, at least on the Reign. It's kind of hard to pin down Maestro as it seems to use chain torque to counter bob, so the more you try to make it bob, the less it bobs.

The cool thing about the RP3 is that it has three positions, one of which is no platform at all. The swinger has a minimum 50psi in the SPV so you can't run it sans SPV and the Fox float comes standard with the RP3's middle SPV position, so your stuck with a platform there too. So one of the reasons for the RP3 was to get rid of the platform all together for the DH, but have still have a little for the climbs - with the flick of a lever.

At any rate the RP3 in the -'ve setting is ULTRA plush; I can move the suspension by pushing down on the seat with my thumb.

Oh yeah and to answer your question, I put air in the shock before I put it on the bike
    Last edited by Steve71; 10-20-2006 at 11:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    The cool thing about the RP3 is that it has three positions, one of which is no platform at all. The swinger has a minimum 50psi in the SPV so you can't run it sans SPV and the Fox float comes standard with the RP3's middle SPV position, so your stuck with a platform there too. So one of the reasons for the RP3 was to get rid of the platform all together for the DH, but have still have a little for the climbs - with the flick of a lever.

At any rate the RP3 in the -'ve setting is ULTA plush; I can move the suspension by pushing down on the seat with my thumb.
    Oh man...that sounds awesome!! I didn't know you could turn off the platform with the RP3.
    I have been thinking about fitting a non-propedal Vanilla R coil shock to my Reign for this very reason.

Keep us updated on how that RP3 works for you. (I've got an 05 Reign, too)

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by deoreo
    Oh man...that sounds awesome!! I didn't know you could turn off the platform with the RP3.
    I have been thinking about fitting a non-propedal Vanilla R coil shock to my Reign for this very reason.

Keep us updated on how that RP3 works for you. (I've got an 05 Reign, too)
    Some more info for you here:

Shock damping and rider weight

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    Trouble is if the shock is mounted 180, then I can't move the RP3's blue lever as the rocker gets in the way. I could always just leave the PP lever in the middle and mount the shock 180, then when I'm happy with the air pressure, mount it like is is now. There has to be a better way......
    I had an extra pair of hands to help out this week-end so I tried mounting the shock 180 and there was no lever/rocker interference. Silly me.

In exile
    Mine only mounts one way, so you can reach the rebound and lever. Call Fox. My RP3 has a long air valve. When I got the one I sent to Push back, I couldn't air it up. I pulled the valve off of the original one and swapped them out. It took a 10mm deep socket and 1 minute. That is, of course, once you have the right valve. It is about 15 - 20 mm longer. I'll try to get pics later.

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by loco-gringo
    Mine only mounts one way, so you can reach the rebound and lever. Call Fox. My RP3 has a long air valve. When I got the one I sent to Push back, I couldn't air it up. I pulled the valve off of the original one and swapped them out. It took a 10mm deep socket and 1 minute. That is, of course, once you have the right valve. It is about 15 - 20 mm longer. I'll try to get pics later.
    This is just the info I was looking for, thanks!!!