Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    tardcore

RP23 on a Reign 0?

I just got an 08' Reign 0 and am loving it. Every other FS bike I've had recently has had an RP23 so I'm used to a lot more platform out of the Propedal. I love the way the stock DHX feels but I'd like more from the propedal. Would I be crazy to swap on an RP23? I have one on another frame with a high volume air sleeve that's the right length so I could do it easily.
    I'm posting this on the suspension board too to see the various responses.

2 minutes turkish
    if you have the shock already, try it and see if you dig it.

tardcore
    That's what I'm thinking but is the RP a down grade to the DHX? My only concern is that if I like I have to buy another shock because I'd feel inclined to have the option of swapping on the DHX for downhill rides.

mtbr member
    I feel that the RP23 is the better shock for that bike. We swapped one out for a guy at our shop and the suspension works way better. I'm not sure why it comes with the DHX in the first place. The RP23 is better suited to what the Reign is for. I don't consider it a downgrade if the performance is enhanced.

tardcore
    Cool, thanks for the input. I have a high volume air sleeve on the one I'm thinking of pilfering so that should be a nice little upgrade over a stock one. Does anybody know if the 09' and 08' 23's are different or the same?

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    RP23 with high volume sleeve will blow through the travel too easily. in order to prevent the shock from easily bottoming out, you'll have to run more air - thus adversely affecting small bump compliance. run less and it feels great on small bumps, but start riding aggressively and it blow through the travel. I tried both an RP23 with regular and high volume sleeve on that bike - I've never felt an RP23 bottom out hard until I tried the high volume sleeve.

the regular air sleeve feels pretty good - its a great shock for trail riding, but for more aggressive riding, I still prefer the feel of the DHX-a (mine is a 5.0 tho). I run full BO and just enough air in the boost valve so there is a tad of compression damping. In the main chamber I run just enough to I can get full travel on hard hits.

the DHX-a 4.0 wasn't cutting it for me...I was always bottoming it hard.

next...I would love to try on coil shock on that bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I was running the RP23 with a low volume sleeve, but found it did not have good small bump compliance, was a quite firm on trail, but not quite enough for the decents.

I swapped out to the RP2 with high volume and found it very nice, but with only the two positions it was lacking a little. With the PP off it was very plush but didn't find it bottomed out, however for climbing it was a little too soft. The PP on setting was good for most climbing on smoother trails, but a little too harsh for the enough for technical climbs.

I will be getting my RP23 back with a high volume sleeve so hopefully it should work to fill in the gaps noticed on the RP2. I am hoping to be able to run the RP23 in setting #1 for technical climbing, #2 or #3 or fire road climbs, and #1 or open for bombing down.

I might have an option on the coil arriving soon and will keep you posted on the outcome.

Cheers
    Jeff

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by pjlama
    I just got an 08' Reign 0 and am loving it. Every other FS bike I've had recently has had an RP23 so I'm used to a lot more platform out of the Propedal. I love the way the stock DHX feels but I'd like more from the propedal. Would I be crazy to swap on an RP23? I have one on another frame with a high volume air sleeve that's the right length so I could do it easily.
    I'm posting this on the suspension board too to see the various responses.
    I was under the impression that more air in the boost valve adds more to the propedal function, that's from the fox manual. I just built up a reign 0 frame as well, & am quite pleased with the DHX 4 so far. I prefir the just enough platform with the boost valve at min. safe PSI. However, I'm a feather weight dude compared to most on these forms I think.

tardcore
    I don't think the second chamber really functions as a propedal adjustment. When I put more air in it seem to firm up the mid and bottom stroke.
    Acadian, are you a pretty aggressive rider? I'm not so I may have better luck, I just feel more comfortable with lots of travel. I've typically had good luck with the RP23 but don't want to give up too much for a firmer platform.
    The whole reason I'm asking about his is because on steep loose climbs the rear is squatting heavily making the front wander, the front wanders into a nice rock and I'm on my a$$. I can hardly walk this morning after my fall yesterday

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    I never set up my bikes for climbing efficiency - it's all about the downhills. so the RP23 might be the ticket for you.

tardcore
    I'm not concerned about pedal efficiency either I just want the bike to go where I point it on climbs. I guess a bike with 6" travel is on the bubble as much of a climber anyway buy hey I'm as unrealistic as anyone. I'm going to give it a shot since I have the RP and if I like it I'll pick-up another. The only problem is I was going to sell the bike with the RP on it this week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't think the second chamber really functions as a propedal adjustment. When I put more air in it seem to firm up the mid and bottom stroke.
    Acadian, are you a pretty aggressive rider? I'm not so I may have better luck, I just feel more comfortable with lots of travel. I've typically had good luck with the RP23 but don't want to give up too much for a firmer platform.
    The whole reason I'm asking about his is because on steep loose climbs the rear is squatting heavily making the front wander, the front wanders into a nice rock and I'm on my a$$. I can hardly walk this morning after my fall yesterday
    I have a Reign X1 (with DHX 3 coil) and it does not squat while climbing, even with the Van36 fork the front wheel tracks pretty well.

Have you tried increasing the shock air pressure? (not the boost chamber)

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    I never set up my bikes for climbing efficiency - it's all about the downhills. so the RP23 might be the ticket for you.
    When setting up for bombing downhill, how much sag are you running. Are you running a 2 inch stroke or a 2.25?.

With the HV RP2 I find that I can run 170-175lbs and still have just over 1/2 sag. I weight about 180-185 before riding gear on. The LV RP23 160-165psi and I was a little under 1/2 inch sag.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by rideitall
    When setting up for bombing downhill, how much sag are you running. Are you running a 2 inch stroke or a 2.25?.

With the HV RP2 I find that I can run 170-175lbs and still have just over 1/2 sag. I weight about 180-185 before riding gear on. The LV RP23 160-165psi and I was a little under 1/2 inch sag.
    I can't quite remember how much air I was running ...

I'm about 155 lbs and run a 7.875" X 2.0 RP23. this weekend with the LV I was running about 155psi's and was soft bottoming. I think I was getting around 15mm or sag with that.

the HV just didn't feel right....the bike wallowed in the mid stroke and I was bottoming HARD.

the other issue I have with the RP23 is that the rebound is inconsistent. at some point during a descent I had to stop and slow down the rebound because it was feeling way too fast. Then I get home and the rebound was crazy slow..

if I was forced to ride one setup, I would ride the RP23 with the LV - but now I re-mounted the DHX-a

tardcore
    I set the sag to exactly 1/2" and played with the boost chamber a bit but like that lower as it feels more compliant. I really need to try cranking the Talas all the way down to 100mm but leaving the fork pretty wide open to see how that works. I'm tempted to do the swap but really want to get rid of that bike that has it.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    here is an option..
    DW 5 Spot RP23 mod

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Got my RP23 back, dampening slightly dropped from the 3bars compression and added a high volume can. The small sleeve was replaced with one off of a DHX A.

Sag was set at approx 1/2 inch, with PP off it is plush, could be used for techincal climbs, but best for bombing down and soaking up the bumps. With PP on setting 1, it is good for technical climbs or singletrack. Setting #2 is good for climbs or singletrack as well obviously a little firmer. Setting #3 is best for fireroad climbs, with the large sleeve it still moves okay when pushed but is quite firm.

So far I am liking this, only one ride on the shore on some fairly technical trails, single track, and some climbs.
    Last edited by rideitall; 04-08-2009 at 09:32 AM.

tardcore
    Interesting thread on the shim idea. I'm going to experiment this weekend with both shocks.

slamma

Rp23?

I just ordered a Reign 0 it should be here on Friday....
    anyway, i don't think i would want to change the DHX for an RP....I kind of defeats the purpose of buying that bike....on long downhills the smaller air chamber will start to heat up and effect the way it rides....im 511 215....so i may be more harsh on it, and as already noted it will blow through its mid stroke way to fast for me, i think the platform will be just fine DHX 4 the maestro does pretty good without any platform.
    Ride with timeless creed

tardcore
    Well I put on the RP tonight, going for a big ride tomorrow. What a PIA removing the lower inner bushing was though. A ten minute job turned out to be over an hour with bushing madness. On a side note I had my Reign by the LBS for a rear derailuer (sp?) adjustment and one of the guys asked what it weighed to which I responded "I have no idea" they said well we gotta weigh it. Any way with the DHX still on it was barely over 27lbs. ! I know its not a weight weenie bike but I was impressed. It has a Joplin and Mallets on it too. Must be the Crossmax ST's but damn the thing never ceases to amaze me. Anyway, I'll report back tomorrow night on my findings with the RP

mtbr member
    Well I put on the RP tonight, going for a big ride tomorrow. What a PIA removing the lower inner bushing was though. A ten minute job turned out to be over an hour with bushing madness. On a side note I had my Reign by the LBS for a rear derailuer (sp?) adjustment and one of the guys asked what it weighed to which I responded "I have no idea" they said well we gotta weigh it. Any way with the DHX still on it was barely over 27lbs. ! I know its not a weight weenie bike but I was impressed. It has a Joplin and Mallets on it too. Must be the Crossmax ST's but damn the thing never ceases to amaze me. Anyway, I'll report back tomorrow night on my findings with the RP

Don't sneeze on it or the paint will rub off!
    Just got a 09 Reign 2 (parted out) for the wife. It came stock with a high volume rp2. High volume is good for her. I am a little concerned about long term durability though. I don't like the aluminum pivot pins. Or the lack of a bush in the lower shock eyelet. But we'll see.

tardcore
    Yeah, I was surprised that there was no bushing in the lower shock eye too, what a beeoch to get that bushing out though. I'm sure occasionally replacing the pins will be needed but that's easy enough.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    Quote Originally Posted by wormvine
    Don't sneeze on it or the paint will rub off!
    Just got a 09 Reign 2 (parted out) for the wife. It came stock with a high volume rp2. High volume is good for her. I am a little concerned about long term durability though. I don't like the aluminum pivot pins. Or the lack of a bush in the lower shock eyelet. But we'll see.
    I've been riding mine pretty hard and so far so good.

I actually like the fact that the bottom shock mount only has a through pin with no DU bushing, makes it almost impossible to develop play.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    I've been riding mine pretty hard and so far so good.

I actually like the fact that the bottom shock mount only has a through pin with no DU bushing, makes it almost impossible to develop play.
    Well that's good to hear. But only time will tell on the aluminum pivot pins. I'll be keeping my eye on it. Maybe the paint quality on the R0 frame is better than the R2. Also the color on your frame is a lot lighter than the red on the R2. But so far my wife is liking the bike.

tardcore
    Just got back, there's something about the Maestro that minimizes the PP. Basically the PP on the RP23 had about as much effect as the PP on the DHX. Even with lots of air and the PP on 3 it was so easy for the Maestro to blow through the first bit of travel. I took a shock pump and did lots of tweaking just to make sure it was a fair evaluation. I'm putting the DHX back on. The DHX feels more plush and linear. Lesson learned. As far as getting it to track really well on steep loose climbs I just would flick the Talas down to 100mm and leave it nearly full soft and it climbed beautifully. I just needed more time on the bike to learn how to ride it and this morning's ride was a perfect situation. Rode from 6700ft to 7700ft on very technical single track while it somehow managed to snow 3" during the ride, it was about twelve miles. I just gotta say I'm in love with this bike, it's slack geometry and long travel is very confidence inspiring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast