Thread: Rocker Arms

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Rocker Arms

Has anyone heard of, or used, rocker arms by SGF Components? They claim to give 4.5" of rear travel for the NRS. There is not much info on their web site. Is it worth the $65?

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Try doing a cross post on the General boad. I'm a little surprised nobody's seen this, there are definitely people riding with those rockers. Duckman has them on one of his NRS's.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    I tried searching and couldn't find much on them. Has anyone put them on a size small frame? Is there any issues with the Sid not being able to handle the added travel?

hooked on quack
    Oh come on.

Heres just one thread here(Giant)about them, after doing a simple search of "4.5 rockers"(pulled up tons tho).

4 1/2" link to compensate for 4" fork angle

Yes on the Sid, but only if your over 200lbs since the added leverage ratio demands more psi in the pos. camber to compensate. This will push said psi up toward and maybe past the max of 250psi rating of the shock. Having said that, theres been many bikes out there that have more travel then the NRS with this same shock, which means they HAVE to run the same high pressures. These higher pressures WILL make the shock wear out sooner of course, all other things being equal.

Frame size doesn't make any difference, as long as you can still run a 100mm(or longer)fork effectively. They don't do well with the lower crown height of the oem 80mm front ends. I've run them with a 115mm Fox Vanilla on my other black NRS and had no steering issues. At least for trail riding. They raise the rear about .25".

Heres my race dedicated med frame with them installed.

mtbr member

Thanks Duck

I tried a couple different searches but only came up with 5-6 threads. None with much info. But being close to 200 lbs + or - a couple I think I should stick with the original plan and get the Cloud 9. Unless I find a really good deal on the rocker arms then maybe I will get them just to try them out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Yes on the Sid, but only if your over 200lbs since the added leverage ratio demands more psi in the pos. camber to compensate. This will push said psi up toward and maybe past the max of 250psi rating of the shock. Having said that, theres been many bikes out there that have more travel then the NRS with this same shock, which means they HAVE to run the same high pressures. These higher pressures WILL make the shock wear out sooner of course, all other things being equal.
    man, you are right about the leverage ratio affecting the shock. i had to pump my shock to about 250psi+ (to get no sag) on my cloud 9 w/ 4.5 rocker. i usually set it to 195 with the sid and stock rocker.

i'm starting to think that the cloud 9 shouldn't be paired with the 4.5 rockers. the cloud 9 has higher volume than the sid and has greater sensitvity to bumps (since the pressures don't ramp up as quickly) and the sensitivity is amplified with the SGF. this may sound great for making the NRS more active but i have experienced bobbing when spinning. i'm not talking about torque induced bobbing but the monkey motion when spinning with light torque. the suspension still locks out when applying greater pressure/hammering on the pedals. i do wish the cloud 9 has a proper lock out for the flats/road cuz the RCA is not cuttin it.

i'll still give it a go and play with the rebound and compression settings but if all else fails, i may get a propedal/SPV type shock to go with the SGF.
    Santa Cruz Blur XC carbon - lefty carbon SL | GT zaskar pro carbon HT - lefty carbon | Scott CR1 | Look 595

mtbr junior member
    Quote Originally Posted by bertt
    I tried a couple different searches but only came up with 5-6 threads. None with much info. But being close to 200 lbs + or - a couple I think I should stick with the original plan and get the Cloud 9. Unless I find a really good deal on the rocker arms then maybe I will get them just to try them out.
    the rocker is onl sale now! only usd49! contact sgf components directly!

mtbr remember
    hey venga x 3- you sound disappointed with the cloud9. Any chance you want to sell it?

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    hey venga x 3- you sound disappointed with the cloud9. Any chance you want to sell it?
    It sounds like the 4.5 rockers and the Cloud 9 may be too compliant together. I'm very happy with the stock 3.75" travel and the Cloud 9. It's a sweet shock in that setup!
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i have found the combination too active for my tastes. bikeSATORI, i'll email you offline.
    Santa Cruz Blur XC carbon - lefty carbon SL | GT zaskar pro carbon HT - lefty carbon | Scott CR1 | Look 595

mtbr remember
    hey venga- my email is jumpinjackflash70@msn.com - I'm not sure if it is listed in my profile?