mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Rising the handle bar for a more upright posture , How to ?

Hi.
    I'm not a spring chicken anymore..... My Giant Yukon is hard on my shoulders and neck now. I would like to rise the handle bar so I could ride it in a more upright posture. what are my options please ? I guess I can only change the handle bar for something higher ? What to buy please? Any other solution, beside changing bike ?

thanks
    stef
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rising the handle bar for a more upright posture , How to ?-bike3.jpg  

Rising the handle bar for a more upright posture , How to ?-bike2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    You can do several things. If you have any spacers between the top cap and the stem you can take the stem off and put that spacer under the stem to raise it up. Then put the top cap directly on to the stem. Remember to pre load the head set bearing properly. Cost : nil.

Next up Is get a different stem with more rise. This will lift the bar. Not sure what comes as standard on your bike but it shouldn't be too much of a problem to measure the rise in degrees.

If you are feeling stretched on the bike too consider a slightly shorter stem as well as more rise. 10mm less length and 5deg more rise will feel quite different and help bring your weight back off your hands a little.

Remember to relax as you ride too. Your limbs are the best suspension out!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If the picture is your bike, not much you can do with the stem and handlebar. It's already as high rise as I'd go. You can get monkey bars or high rise bars (4") that may work. Another alternative is a stem spacer (link below). They work OK for road/asphalt/crushed gravel, but I wouldn't take it off road. Another option, although it might cost more than you'd like, is to put on an inexpensive suspension fork. I wouldn't recommend these for trails, but for road, they're OK.

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Cycle-TD.../dp/B008F4LLRY

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    thank you both of you for your help. It's greatly appreciated.

Yes this is my bike.

Regarding high rise bars (4"), isn't it what I have now ?

I will look at this stem spacer. It seems to be an easy enough fix.
    If you think I need to know some important stuff before ordering, please let me know.

Regards
    stef
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have no idea what your handlebar is. It looks like something off a BMX bike, which usually has a slightly different clamp diameter. A 4" riser fork will be very similar in height, but if you buy a 4" riser fork, you might be able to get one that's wider. This will open up your shoulders and back more, especially if you're broad chested. The angle of the picture is also a bit off. It almost appears as if the bars are insalled in reverse, and they are angled forward instead of backward. Normally a bar with more backsweep will help with shoulder and back pain. This will lead to a more upright sitting position.

Also, is your seat far enough forward? The center of the front-bottom of your kneecap should be over the center of the pedals axle (give or take) when you're seated with the pedals horizontal. If your seat is really far backwards, you might be stretched out too much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by herbeapuce View Post
    If you think I need to know some important stuff before ordering, please let me know.

Regards
    stef
    Verify the headset/steer tube diameter is 1 1/8". Have to either look up your bikes' information on bikepedia.com or measure it. Easy to do. Just take off the stem cap and grab a tape measure. Just don't loosen the side bolts on the stem, and you haven't messed anything up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thank you sir for all your hard work.
    I learned a lot today ....
    Will do what you said.
    My best regards
    stef

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Sorry Stef, didn't see your attachment. Mtbr's swanky new responsive website makes it tricky to see on my phone! Hope you get it sorted.