mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Listen! Rincon Disc Brake Adjustment

Hello,

Please forgive my noobness, im new to all this MTB stuff and am already in love with it. My question is I just got a 2008 Rincon with the Tektro I.O. Disc brakes but I read that these brakes are not that great. My problem is after riding the bike for about 6 hours total the front disc brakes are sticking to the pads. The wheels do not spin freely. I would try to spin the front wheel and it would make about 2 rotations and stop. Does anyone here know how I can adjust these brakes or should I just bring it back to my LBS since they have a 3 yr warranty on bikes purchased. Reason why I'm asking as opposed to just bringing it back to my LBS is because my closest LBS is far from my place. Thank you all in advance!

mtbr member
    Try moving the caliper just a bit on the fork mounts. These have been a bit of a pain, as they don't have alot of adjustment as far as mounting(versus, say avids). Also check cable tension. And last but not least, make sure your wheel is fully inserted in the fork, and hasn't moved!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Hi,
    I just tried taking the wheel off and putting it back and it seemed to do the trick. But I will still bring it back to my LBS to see if there is an easier way to adjust the brakes. I noticed that with these brakes you can only adjust them on one side? is that correct or did I just not see the adjustment for both pads. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gomer hardtale
    Try moving the caliper just a bit on the fork mounts. These have been a bit of a pain, as they don't have alot of adjustment as far as mounting(versus, say avids). Also check cable tension. And last but not least, make sure your wheel is fully inserted in the fork, and hasn't moved!