Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Revel Thread

mtbr member

Revel Thread

A thread for the discussion of the Revels, 0's to 4's to 29ers. Modifications, maintenance and information in general.

I picked up my '13 Revel 3 during black Friday, was trying to get a '12 for cheaper but it just didnt work out. Really liked the white/silver/red and went for it, however saw a silver Revel 1 last week and thought it was pretty sharp too/

Changing out the handlebar/stem for Easton ec70, and not sure what stem yet. Tires/Saddle/Post are the next mods, and then start saving for a full suspension bike.

So far iv put close to 40 miles of green/blue trails on it with me being the limiting factor.

Here she is.

mtbr member
    Cheers. Also got mine on a black friday sale, 2013 Revel 1 29er. Still has tag, removed reflectors and installed new EggBeaters.

I would like to lighten mine up and improve performance without killing the bank. I'm looking at Avid BB7s and chinese carbon bars and post. Also deciding between the X-fusion Slide 29er fork or a RS Reba.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Revel Thread-bike.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mmmm was marvelling a Silver 1 last week at the bike shop. (26")

I imagine the fork will save some weight over the stock suntour. The 1's come with decent aluminum bars no?

Im probably going to grab an RS Recon Silver or XC32 in Jan some time, should make for a fun ride.

mtbr member
    The bars aren't awful but with the heavy frame I'd like to try and squeeze out a lb. or two.

Recon is a good shock for the $.

mtbr member
    Im with you on the weight battle. I grabbed the ec70 off of blue sky for what seemed like a great deal.
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Easton EC70 XC Carbon Handlebar 2012

Since the 3 has steel bars, im hoping its going to be night and day. Still need to grab a stem for it.

The tires I believe are a non-folding type as well, so there might be some weight to be saved there. I imagine moreso on the 29er.
    Last edited by akaBrowntown; 12-19-2012 at 05:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Threw on the bar tonight once the stem came in, luckily the lbs had a 2mm spacer as the stem is shorter. Gonna try to snag some grips tomorrow.

Raceface Evolve Stem
    Easton EC70 XC 40 Riser Bars

mtbr member
    Really nice stem.bar setup, I haven't uesd them but I have only good things of that Easton line of bars.

Settled on a RockShox Tora TK. My LBS had a new takeoff and it was almost free so I had them put it one. PopLock is nice and it travels well. Definitely shaved at least a lb. Hitting the trail tomorrow after the hangover leaves so I will update with performance. Also havent really used my Cateye Micro yet so looking forward to that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Revel Thread-wp_000204.jpg  

mtbr member
    Happy New Year from the top of the Sammamish Plateau. 28 degrees and sunny. Looking West toward Bellevue, Seattle, and the Olympic range.

Tora felt strong locked out while climbing and very smooth descending.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Revel Thread-wp_000206.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks sharp!
    ~28 miles on these the last week.

mtbr member
    Unless you actually weighed the parts side by side, where do you think you saved more weight between the bars vs. stem? I know the bars are more expensive and likely offer more of a productive improvement as well, I'm curious which is lighter compared to its counterpart.

I noticed while riding this morning (especially while climbing) I need to look closely at replacing the wheels and tires. Those things were getting bogged down in granny and I was huffing for a bit. Beautiful ride though.

mtbr member
    Just weighed my old fork and it came in at 5 1/2 lbs.... so I saved about 1 or 1 1/2 lbs. there alone (don't know exactly because it went on before I weighed it, going off online numbers).

Also just weighed my post and saddle, which it appears you have the same.
    Saddle: 290 Grams
    Total: 635 Grams

Hopefully that helps you compare weights as you search for replacements as well.

mtbr member
    Using a rather crude food scale the stock steel revel bars came in at 600grams. The Easton bars were 160 grams and also a bit wider. A worthwhile mod on the Revel 3. I don't recall the weights of the stem but I remember there being a 25 gram difference. I got the stem for the 4 bolt clamp as opposed to the 2 bolt that it came with, because of the carbon bar.

The Revel 1 you have probably came with aluminum bars so it prob isn't that much of an improvement. I'm not sure if our tires are folding or not, but if they aren't there is some weight to be saved there, I'd imagine more noticeable as well.

I might end up on a Trance in a couple weeks rather than continuing upgrading the revel.

mtbr member
    CrankBrothers Cobalt 2 post in the mail closeout at wheelworld.com from $80 to $30. Listed at 265 grams that will shave some weight.

mtbr member
    Selle Italia SLR GelFlow, used but like new for $30. Coupled with the post in the mail I should see an overall weight savings of 150 grams. Not terrible for two quality parts for $60 total.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Revel Thread-wp_000209.jpg  

mtbr member
    Not bad. What tires have you thought about switching to?

I got out there on a muddy day and the bike wanted to just lay down in corners. Sucked, they are great on hardpack when its dry though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    Just weighed my old fork and it came in at 5 1/2 lbs.... so I saved about 1 or 1 1/2 lbs. there alone (don't know exactly because it went on before I weighed it, going off online numbers).

Also just weighed my post and saddle, which it appears you have the same.
    Saddle: 290 Grams
    Total: 635 Grams

Hopefully that helps you compare weights as you search for replacements as well.

CB Cobalt 2 post arrived. A bit heavier than I anticipated but still an improvement and I couldn't argue with the price. Always satisfied with the performance on CB products. I still might cut an inch or two from the post but undecided.

Brings total to:
    Saddle 220 grams
    Total: 535 grams

Even 100 grams gone and higher end components on both.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Revel Thread-post.jpg  

Your Best Friend
    Happy New Year from the top of the Sammamish Plateau. 28 degrees and sunny. Looking West toward Bellevue, Seattle, and the Olympic range.

Tora felt strong locked out while climbing and very smooth descending.
    Hey! I used to live on the Sammamish Plateau back in the day. I miss that place sometimes and then I remember all the rain. Ugh.

mtbr member
    Great place to live, mountain to sound in 30 mins either direction. Puget Sound/Western Wa really is one of the most diverse areas in America I believe.

I hoped the picture would have turned about a bit better but that's what you get with a cell phone pic and the mountain range 100 miles away... It is from atop the Issaquah Highlands development. This area more than likely was not around when you lived here 'back in the day' I think the entire development is no more than 10 years old.

mtbr member
    Originally the scale I used was inuaccurate (one of the old spring/dial scales) so after getting the post on I thought I would weigh each set as a combo. Results were a bit more suprising.

Factory Giant Sport Saddle Giant Sport Post 30.9 mm
    vs.
    Selle Italia SLR GelFlow and CB Cobalt 2 400 mm 30.9 mm post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Revel Thread-seatpost.jpg  

Revel Thread-newweight.jpg  

mtbr member
    bars replaced today with Forte Pro Flat 720 mm, saved 165 grams and only cost $22. Next I'm looking at a new crankset and then wheels/tires. Brakes a possibility but that would be last. bike is really coming along and rides fantastic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Revel Thread-forte.jpg  

Revel Thread-difference.jpg  

Revel Thread-installed.jpg  

mtbr member
    '13 Revel 29er all stock.

The weight doesn't bother me so much. The brakes seem to be pretty bad and the front fork is spongy. Getting some bb7's and going to take advantage of the Suntour upgrade program.

Aside from those complaints, I really like the bike.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Krunk_Kracker; 01-09-2013 at 05:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Hey that bike looks familiar!

Welcome, its good to see this thread getting a little more attention. I'll do my best to document any additions/comparisons as well as the performance of factory vs. aftermarket parts. I've got a new crankset in the mail to go in Saturday so hopefully I can write up some about that this weekend.

mtbr member
    Hey that bike looks familiar!

Welcome, its good to see this thread getting a little more attention. I'll do my best to document any additions/comparisons as well as the performance of factory vs. aftermarket parts. I've got a new crankset in the mail to go in Saturday so hopefully I can write up some about that this weekend.
    That's a great idea.

I've got about 30 miles on it so far and only have had it a week, and like I said, so far I hate the brakes and the fork is mushy.

I just bought a pair of bb7 calipers off ebay for $20...my stock Tektro 160 rotors should work, yeah?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    2014 Scott Scale 740

mtbr member
    The fork is trash, that was priority number 1 for me. I wanted something lighter (instead of all steel) and with a lockout. I very nearly pulled the trigger on a X-Fusion Slide 29er fork, about the best value for those criteria, but instead got a great deal on the RS Tora.

I believe the Avids will do just fine, I want to say they can handle up to 180 mm discs so yours should be fine. I'm interested to see how the install/performance works for you as I am very interested in doing the same.

where did you find the calipers for $20 do you have a link?

mtbr member
    The fork is trash, that was priority number 1 for me. I wanted something lighter (instead of all steel) and with a lockout. I very nearly pulled the trigger on a X-Fusion Slide 29er fork, about the best value for those criteria, but instead got a great deal on the RS Tora.

I believe the Avids will do just fine, I want to say they can handle up to 180 mm discs so yours should be fine. I'm interested to see how the install/performance works for you as I am very interested in doing the same.

where did you find the calipers for $20 do you have a link?
    Not anymore, it was a buy-it-now on ebay. No pads or rotors.

I'll definitely come back and report how it goes. I'm going to use the stock cables and levers too, until after I replace the fork. The fork was getting replaced first, but I couldn't pass up that deal.

Page 1 of 42 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast